1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I just checked on my C2D, which is by far the worst of the lot, and it estimates about 9hr30 minutes for a MCM WU. I suspect any modern system would be much faster.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Does that rig have two different size MCM wu's? I'm wondering if that's the small one or the big one.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    No, it only has two MCM WUs total, and they are both estimating 9 hrs 37 minutes to complete (I just switched the scheduler to give me MCM WUs again today)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Great job crunching and hosting the Birthday Challenge Norton!!!!

:toast::toast:
    stinger608, HammerON and Norton say thanks.
  5. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Didn't quite make it :oops: but I did manage 500 400k points folding over the past 5 days :rockout:
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    manofthem, Vinska and BUCK NASTY say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    Well, I finished crunching on the last remaining WUs on my dad's laptop and now gave it back. So I am down to 150 cores / 154 threads.
    Aww well...
    james888, Norton and stinger608 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    found out that i'll be getting the q6600 rig in the next 2 weeks :D it needs a HDD so im thinking maybe a 90GB Sata II SSD from newegg http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227965 it also needs gfx so im thinking a HD 7730/50 maybe a 7790 and put the 7770 in this rig. It has 8GB DDR2 and a valid win 7 installation so i dont have to spend too much on this rig :D
    Norton and manofthem say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Little change up now on my main rig. Out with the old, in with the new

[​IMG]

I haven't tinkered much with it yet, but I'm going to go for a little overclock tongiht, see what it'll do. I hope temps aren't too bad and thus require delidding....
    Vinska, stinger608, james888 and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 5 Million points folded for TPU
  9. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    might just get a 3770k instead of the i5, should do a better job
    manofthem and Norton say thanks.
  10. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Not a bad idea as I've seen them pretty cheap lately used (not much here, mostly on [H]).
    Upgrade time :toast:
  11. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    yup, gotta throw in 50$ though, but considering our prices on hw, thats not bad
  12. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Awesome system! That's running surprisingly cool! Do let us know how the OCing goes!
    manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Nice! I am quite fond of my 4770k. At 4.4ghz expect 6k pdd.
    He is on water I think. My 4770k runs at 55c overclocked. I don't know what the fuss is about people saying these things run hot. I know I am on water but my 4770k runs cooler than my 2500k by 10c.
    manofthem and Vinska say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    So, I got a secondary ISP on Monday morning, but after nearly two full days of "whacking my computers with a wrench", I realized it just won't go properly with just my own expertise.
    "how I routing several interfaces properly?" –Spideradmin :cry:
    i.e. gonna have to hit several Linux forums big time. And I HATE doing that.

[​IMG]
    xvi says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    Train a monkey to switch the cables around whenever the WAN activity stops flashing.

I was kind of wondering how you were planning on combining the two. You might be able to get away with two gateways on the same subnet and just let the OS decide. Slightly more preferential to that would probably be a little *nix box with dual-WAN set up for load balancing. Any way you slice it, you'll (in theory) never see increased speeds for any one connection, of course.

Wait! You run linux! Everything is a file!

Code:
    mdam --create /dev/eth2 --level=0 --raid-devices=2 /dev/eth0 /dev/eth1
    DONE. Super-fast internet now available via eth2!
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    laptop-hpc, Vinska and stinger608 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    My problem is that both interfaces simply try to use the same gateway no matter what I do. Which obviously makes one operational, while the other can't get to anything and is not reachable from outside. It appears they both simply use the gateway entry at the topmost of the routing table, completely ignoring the interface that entry is set for, and completely ignoring any other [higher level] configurations. I still can't find a way to make each interface use the gateway which is applicable to it
    I believe that would only be useful if I managed to make them use their friggin' gateways properly, as it depends on both individual interfaces working correctly in the first place. *sigh* :shadedshu:
    xvi says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    A week or so ago I woke up to frozen rig (UD7)- GPU was spinning 100% and the normal LEDs were on but I had to hard reset it. My next few power ups all stopped at RAM checking and I finally got it to work with two sticks (2nd and 3rd slot) but I couldn't OC past 148(x25). Normally I was running 162. OK new memory (Corsair XMS3 2000 MHz CL9) was bought. I gave the old memory a last chance in the original 6-8-8-24, 1610 Mhz (red Mushkin, 1600 Mhz) and I now have some crisp new Corsair as spare. In short my OC is back with my trusted Mushkin which leaves me with the next question - GPU good or bad?

Edit:
    10 minute in MSI Kombuster with a peak temperature of 64 C (OCed from 925 to 1045 MHz) is not a problem. Folding is however.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    Vinska says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    OH SNAP BADGES ARE BACK :rockout:

though, apparently, buhzillion PPD for five stars as everyone has either a 1 or 2 star badge :(
    Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Norton

Thanks Received:
    I think they need to restart the average to get the stars back- we should have our expected amount within a few days ;)

EDIT- I got 3 stars :p
    Vinska says thanks.
  20. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Now that you say it. One star for me o_O. Better improve :)
    Vinska and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    One buhzillion PPD coming right up!!!:laugh:

:toast:
    Vinska and xvi say thanks.
  22. Norton

Thanks Received:
    stinger608, xvi, Vinska and 2 others say thanks.
  23. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    My crunching time has taken a hit recently. My roommate moved out and since then, it has been a revolving door of transient sleepers in my room. Now I have a guy there who has been sleeping during the day, for two days, since he works overnights. If he seems reliable, so far so good, I may start crunching overnight again. I am still a little leary since it is only me in the room overnight and I tend to sleep like a rock, most nights. Someone could easily walk off with my computer without waking me. That would not be a good thing since I may go on a massive killing spree at that point! So, in the interest of public safety and my own sanity, I will now only be crunching at work. Or, any other time I can plug in for a spell, i.e. coffee shop, bar, etc.

Personally, it means my next Milestone goal has moved to after Christmas. I was hoping to get it near my birthday, on the 18th, but looks like it may be closer to New Years. :ohwell:
    Chevalr1c, Norton and Vinska say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    No worries mate, we understand.
    Arjai says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Well we had a little LAN party at my place yesterday, and we spent all day playing Nazi Zombie Army, Payday, and CoD4 (for some old times' sake). I was lot of fun: soda, chips and salsa, pretzels, more chips, and lots of beer :D :toast:

Afterwards I tried a little OCing on my 4770k chip. Though I didn't expect much, I was pretty shocked at the high temps, considering it's a full loop. I'm talking 92*C on prime95 at 4.4@1.235v. My chip must really be terrible since I"ve heard other people talking about their chips at similar settings at considerably lower temps on air coolers! :eek:

Although, below is an ss of BOINC running at those settings at much better temps across the board. I was at 4.4@1.23v but I got a crash about 14hrs in, but I bumped it up a touch to see if it will stable out.

[​IMG]

So I'm going to be adventurous and to delid my chip, vice and hammer method :laugh: I read up on it bit, watched some videos on YT, laughed a lot at it, and figured it will be worth getting rid of these 90++*C temps. I'm open suggestions on the best paste to reapply when delidding .... :)

Edit: also want to give a shout out to dank1983man420, an awesome team member who hooked me up yesterday out of the blue due to sheer awesomeness! Thanks buddy :respect:
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
    xvi, Vinska, james888 and 1 other person say thanks.