1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Discussion.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Ravenas, Jun 14, 2012.

1. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    and you guys forgot windows 2008 as well

2. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think we're talking about client OSes here. Windows 2000 Workstation was a client OS. A good one at that. There's no client OS in the Windows 2008/R2 family, there are Windows Vista and Windows 7 based on the same kernel.

3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Midori reeks of FUD. All information pertaining to it dates back to 2008 and all sources inside Microsoft said it was only exploratory.

That's in the Server series of operating systems and, except for Server exclusive features (like Active Directory), they match a desktop counterpart (e.g. Server 2000 = Windows 2000, Server 2003 = Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Server 2008 = Windows Vista, Server 2008 R2 = Windows 7).

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I'm not going to convince or force someone to like something new or like a change. You don't have to use Win 8 if you don't want.

But don't come waltzing in here claiming that your opinions are facts. Metro UI is a UI that does UI stuff like all other UI's before. To Say it is worse or better is like trying to say the color red is better than the color blue. ITS PREFERENCE.

You can use a mouse with it, you can use a keyboard with it and now you can use touch with it. They've only expanded, they didn't take anything away. You still have M&K and now you can try touch...
    Oh and nothing new is easy until it is learned, which after learning can you truely decide and say hey old windows might be faster at navigating or hey Metro really does improve on fluidity.

Since look wise is all relative, performance is what counts. Which if they botched that up then I can see that being the only real valid argument.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  5. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    One thing's for certain. Windows 8 may finally make Linux a viable gaming platform since Gabe Newell hates it.

_JP_ and remixedcat say thanks.
  6. justtakemymoney New Member

Thanks Received:
    After a few years . . . while you're installing windows it'll ask for Disk 2.

7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    nah, never happen.

it'll be on blu ray, or it'll be a core OS with the rest as optional downloads from the web.

8. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    And replace it with what?

9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft has been using the same kernel since Windows NT, they've just been changing it and improving it. A lot of things that you will read in a NT book will be true for 2000, XP, Vista, and Windows 7.

10. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    sql databases

11. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:

This is excatly what i was predicting a loooong time ago

It's another vista. I don't think it'll be well received, except casual and mainstream. Sales will be better than vista since it will probably not have any huge driver or compatability issues. Maybe even worse than that. Even if some stuff might be more advanced, im not going to waste weeks trying to get every tweak, setting, config and optimization plus finding all the stupid bugs and workarounds for existing features. It's not worth my time for the benefit as from gaming and developing standpoint, this system is for casuals who buy new laptops and mobile crappies.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2455784&postcount=382

That's exactly why i predicted Win8 to be shit, it's too soon, and has nothing that prompts a whole reinstall and configuration.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2012
  12. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    And why are Win95 and Vista suppose to be shit? Please do explain that because i clearly fail to see the "shit" part of it. Win95 was a big jump from the DOS with some GUI (Win3.1) and i've also had Vista and it was perfectly good OS. Still is imo. Win7 is better but if you already have Vista it's just as good.

13. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply, remix. I though there would be more people commenting on this given how many people think the registry is crap. :/

The registry is basically an ordered collection of key/value pairs stored in a binary file.
    It's multi-thread and multiple instance safe (which is hugely important), it's managed by the kernel (so registry changes occur even if your app goes south), it plays well with user profiles by segregating machine specific entries (HKLM) and users (HKCU), it creates a single area for all application to get config data (eliminating the need for thousands of INI files, which is a poor way of doing it anyway) and it comes with it's own GUI tool.

One of the biggest problems I see is that many app developers do not take the time to clean-up their registry entries when you uninstall an application. Another is that it removes some of the portability of application, but that can be worked around with a little creative coding (again something the app devs don't feeel the need to do).

There may be a better way of storing configuration parameters, but I don't see how using an SQL database would make it any better. In fact, it would make it worse, IMO.

14. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    It's nothing wrong with registry, they just had to keep it from compatibility standpoint.
    I prefer to use apps that use minimal amount of registry, usually portable apps and so on. I also manage the registry manually using various cleaners and searching entries by hand and here and there defragmenting the registry.

The main problem are sloppy programs and installers who leave behind all sorts of junk. Thats realyl the main problem, not registry itself. Because even SQL databases would eventualyl get stuffed by all the garbage.

15. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Oh good another thread about this. I'll make another one.

Also, when was it reviewed? It's not even released yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2012
  16. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Its been taken round the blocks by many, and most havent been happy.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
    More than 25k PPD
  17. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    If there basing their judgement off the early Alpha, then that's there own stupidity. I can see how some will not like the Metro UI. However I don't think it will be anywhere near as raw as Vista was...Vista had real tangible problems, like file copies being incredibly slow and all kinds of permissions based issues. The only major issue I have seen with Window's 8 is there's a new start bar that's being ironed out currently, and people don't like change.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  18. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    lolwut?

19. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    95 was buggy and less stable from what I heard, i didn't use it since i wasn't in the thing that soon, it was on 98 but my friends got PCs from their parents work, they could persuade the employer to give them old PCs to them for cheap instead of throwing them away so one of my friends got 3 PCs all for gaming in the house, most of the males in the class visited him weekly ...even daily ... i can't even count ,i was more than anyone else, more than 1000 times easy ... that's why i learned so much about PCs from a very very early age.

20. anonymous6366

anonymous6366

Thanks Received:
  21. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    What is the point of ditching the registry? What would it change from the way it is today? So there are bunch of config files around to configure Windows instead of one repository? How is that better? Will it be more efficient? Nope.

And don't try to say that it will make things smoother because programs won't use it and it won't get cluttered. That is total BS. The only reason the registry gets cluttered is lazy program developers that don't clean up after themselves. That isn't going to change at all with out a registry, they'll just leave configuration files laying around everywhere.

Also, no one is forcing program developers to use the registry. Software can be installed and work perfectly fine without using the registry.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  22. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Apple doesn't use a registry. Works fine.

23. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    Technically, Apple is a FreeBSD + a nice GUI.

24. naoan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Windows use registry. Works fine.

25. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    No it doesnt.