1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Discussion.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Ravenas, Jun 14, 2012.

1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    ................BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Kidding right?

2. gopal

gopal

Thanks Received:
    Patna, Bihar, India, Asia, Earth, Terron System, M
    i guess he is not:laugh:

3. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Yeah those that know me for some time, would come to the same conclusion.

Probably the biggest factor and most critical importance in how I tweak my win7 UI and feeling and the detail sorroundings is for the performance of clicks, i am used to click fast and run through to do things very fast around the desktop, the work that some mainstream guy would be doing for a day I make it in 2 hours or so.

There are several highlights:
    mouse (can't work as fast without my mouse and my custom settings that im so used to)
    taskbar animation lag (timeout tweakable in registery)
    always-show-menus
    show-extensions
    context shortcuts
    desktop icons
    start search

The biggest point is to eliminate stuff that stops you from continuing from doing the next step, 90% of that the stupid UI settings and behavior, hidden menus, and crap like that.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  4. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    You are not going to do well in life if you are not able to unlearn and relearn things

5. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Wah just installed win8 and the whole desktop is THIS BIG GIANT font.

Everything's magnified in, like having low FOV, it's making me dizzy this needs to go away.

EDIT: Finally found the DPI settings, now we can begin, put my super config guide on my USB in and let's see how far we can get.

First Impression:

Good, because there actually is "show dekstop" button, but the way taskbar aero visuals work, it's invisible until you point the mouse to it.
    HomeGroup isn't enabled by default, with the sharing enabled as home/work network at pre-install.
    Recovery also isn't enabled by default
    But pagefile is.

A new thing in crash dump called "automatic memory dump" maybe to be the best for the size of pagefile, as full dump needs a pagefile as large as total RAM or more, no idea why windows needs a pagefile for crahs dump, just recently found a win7 workaround called dedicateddumpfile but didn't implement the tweak yet as didn't had time.

Ofcourse the first mod tweak will be to bring back the start button, but first the necessary sys config, such as services, pagefile, uac ...etc

EDIT: That's more like it ... for starters:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  6. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
  7. gopal

gopal

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8's wrost is NO START BUTTON THE BIGGEST MINUS

8. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So does it pretty much suck? I plan on reading through the tread when I'm home today from work, but I see nothing but negative comments on it.

9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Because people hate change. It boots faster, more secure, and it rumored to be better with games (Better FPS) in the RTM. But no start button. Peoples first reaction OMG CHANGE I MUST HATE.

H82LUZ73 and Chicken Patty say thanks.
  10. gopal

gopal

Thanks Received:
    As i said

Chicken Patty says thanks.
  11. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    ^this! I had MASSIVE reservations about it, but after using the consumer preview for a week, and now the RTM, I'm doing pretty much everything I normally do on my laptop in Windows 8 now and all these "issues' people keep bringing up about why Windows 8 sucks don't seem to be effecting my day-to-day productivity at all. I can boot into Win 8 much faster than 7, and it also gives me a nice little boot loader in case I do want to boot into 7 (currently triple booting Mac OS X, Win 7, and Win 8 on my MBP).

People wanted Microsoft to do something different and step more into the 21st century. They did it and now all people can do is complain. Some people will never be satisfied.

Also, here's a hands-on by Ars: http://arstechnica.com/information-...rtm-software-is-finished-the-experience-aint/

H82LUZ73 and Chicken Patty say thanks.
  12. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    ^ very good feedback guys, really appreciate it. I'm going to give it a go, then again even if it really was as bad, everybody is different. But yeah, change is usually not welcomed properly. I'll give it a go myself.

H82LUZ73 says thanks.
  13. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    I have had it since it was on Technet Wednesday ,No problems yet just USER problems here.I have Origin running fine,BC2 installed worked,DeadSpace2 worked,MOH works.BFplayforFree works,Only waiting to reinstall BF3 because of ME yes me trying to run the install from backup and it failed on me:(
    Just disable in Firefox your flash player and Web developer tools, it causes the crashes like someone said (MailMan? )in the BF3 clubhouse.
    Cat12.8 plus cap3 works for me too_Only drivers i have installed and my video sound through HDMI worked right of the box(digital download)Just installing thing to test take time......Someone setup a Windows8 Clubhouse?

I don`t care what other`s say, I love Win8,It has that New feeling Win7 should have had,And i see in Win8 more faster load and boot times.Everyone that HATE`S 8 is mad for no START button get over it ...It is 2012 not 1985 when 3.11 work-groups came out.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
    Chicken Patty says thanks.
  14. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Well if windows 8 is offering all these performance enhancements while remaining at least as stable as 7 then I'd switch over.

I'll wait to see some benchmark comparisons but reviews have aroused my attention.

H82LUZ73 says thanks.
  15. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    Just too follow up BF3 is working :) :) :) I`m happy now to install some other programs Like Office2010-13 in few weeks.You guys should give Win8 a try,just cause it has Metro after your into desktop and play games you forget that is there.

16. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Just installed RTM. Borders and icons look neat, some new sound effects and newer and faster IE10. That's lush, boot times are as quick as they come, even tho I give no shit about boot times. Enterprise 64 bit took ~ 12 GB of space.

17. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    Well this is something new(too me at least)I just setup my fourth hard Drive with Steam on it.Clicked the steam.exe for Steam,it ask to see if it was me..get the email type it in along with my password,Guess what it runs,just ran Counter Strike Source without a hitch,The best part s I NEVER INSTALLED THE PROGRAM.....Win8 rocks.

18. MyTechAddiction

Thanks Received:
    Steam is portable

Steam is portable.Had the same experience here on win 7 x64 :toast:

H82LUZ73 says thanks.
  19. MyTechAddiction

Thanks Received:
    In my experience with W8 it is faster than W7 .I tested With cinebench11.5 against a w7 and xp and W8 is as fast as Xp is.All OS were run in Wmvare Player.

20. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Looks like I'll be installing RTM this weekend. Thanks for the info guys. :toast:

21. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    H82LUZ73 says thanks.
  22. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    You have a Technet?

23. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Bah, not RTM, whichever one I got off Microsofts website, RC1 I think...? Been on my desktop for a while waiting to be put on a CD. :laugh:

24. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah ok the preview. Download the new one man. They updated it a few days ago.

25. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Really? Good to know, I'll download it when I get home, want to see if I give it a shot sometime this weekend. :toast:

H82LUZ73 says thanks.