1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Discussion.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Ravenas, Jun 14, 2012.

1. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
  2. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    One of the biggest setbacks of my customization is that i fucking cannot get anything done fast without the start button, i need to search and browse to exes via explorer, this is equivalent to windows 3.1

I really am doing it just for the tweaks, as a challenge, to fiddle around and post solutions for other, it may take a veeery long time if ever that i will actually use windows 8.
  3. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    So your saying you are lazy to move your mouse to the bottom (your right)right hand screen and click search?Or shortcut win-key+X to bring up the search and run options.......I find this way more productive then the old style over 30+ year old start menu.But hey you guys that h8te it then don`t use it plain and simple.Go whine to Microsoft all you want they will never go back to start menu`s .Why waste millions or even billions making 4-6 Operating Systems ,When they choose one easy way for multi platforms.That is why we are broke and they have Billions you know.
  4. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Why should I have move my hands away from my mouse?
  5. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    Never said you had too ....Just what you say makes my statment of being lazy all the more true you know.WHY THIS WHY THAT WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA I WANT MY START BUTTON WHAAAAAAAAAAA

If you are this type of lazy can not think for yourself person then don`t use Win8 and stop coming here to BITCH ABOUT IT Go to Microsoft.

Win-Key +Print Screen= picture. Funny never left my mouse for it.....

Attached Files:

remixedcat says thanks.
  6. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Okay, I'm lazy and maintain my computer (and start menu) to the point where I can get to any program I have installed in less than a quarter of a second. So why do I need Windows 8?
  7. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    You don't, you should spend the money on hard liquor, fast women or motorbikes.
    hellrazor says thanks.
  8. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Why do you need Windows 7? Ultimate to boot.
  9. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    You can press the windows key and prtscr simultaneously with one hand? Easily? Either you have a small keyboard, large hands, or both.
  10. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    A lot of keyboards have two windows keys.
    remixedcat and theJesus say thanks.
  11. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    d'oh! :eek:

I was looking at my laptop's keyboard when I typed that :laugh:
    remixedcat says thanks.
  12. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    at 45$ for an upgrade I'll check it out. Like someone posted 8 pages back it's not like you're being forced, come to think of it it's not like you could be forced.

http://www.techspot.com/news/44902-windows-xp-usage-finally-falls-below-50-mark.html

[​IMG]

That was just last year, so up to last year (4 years after vista's launch and 2 years after windows 7's launch) XP was still represented 50% of all windows installs. Currently it still is the most widely used operating system in the world.

The comment for people moving to mac is laughable, Sure maybe a few percent, but more often than not if the new windows is bad, people simply refuse to move from the old one.

Think of it this way. Imagine if there were really only 3 different car companies. One had most of the market (read nearly all) the second had a small chunk (like 5-8%) and the last was struggling with the other two's leftovers (1-2%). Say the big guy released a bad model. Sure they lose out on sales for that model year, but you see only a small percentage of the consumers actually buy a new car at each launch, say like 10% will jump onto the new shiney (that's being very generous, in the case of cars it's actually closer to 1%). The rest take their time and only move when they're either forced or feel that their old model will no longer suffice.

Even a bumbled launch will still give most of that 10% to the big company simply because of brand recognition, even if familiarity isn't necessarily there in the lms. So we'll say that the second company has max 4% to gain from a bumbled big company launch, well 3.9%, that third company is going to get a bit of the action too.

If you take those numbers to the above chart and subtract 4% from windows and give it to mac... it's still an abysmal desktop market share.

You see APPLE is huge now because of mobile devices, not computers, and based on market share, most people walking around with iphones, go home to windows based pc.
    Delta6326 says thanks.
  13. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Because I wanted a full-fledged 64-bit gaming machine, and if I'm gonna upgrade the OS I might as well make it worth it - and XP SP2 64-bit was not going to cut it in any way.
  14. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    You Sir have just said what i always try to tell people that claim Windows is dieing and Mac will take over.

I wish my Technet wasn't up...
    yogurt_21 says thanks.
  15. Pap1er

Pap1er

Thanks Received:
    Guys, I would like to ask you something technical about win 8, but I dont want to create new topic...

I would like to know if it is possible to do upgrade from release preview version of win 8 to full release version, at least if it is possible to move settings and programs.
    Have you ever tried it?

Thank you for reply,
    Paul
  16. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    For me it was possible, got the upgrade Win 8 Pro on the day it was released but no settings and programs are kept.

Go here:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_DIS_ShopHP_FPP_Light

Download the upgrade assistant and it will tell you what you can do.
    Pap1er says thanks.
  17. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    I got windows 8 for my media pc and am having alot if driver problems with devices that say they work on win8. My asus sound card and my Logitech mmo mouse both show as not conmected/ devive not connected.is anyone else having the same problems or just my bad luck?
  18. Pap1er

Pap1er

Thanks Received:
    I was just testing release preview but I had no problem with drivers so far... Also my old logitech web cam which is supported only by win XP works when drivers are installed in compatibility mode.

19. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Don't judge a book by it's cover...

Sure, the "Modern UI" thing is aimed at tablets, smartphones, and the (mostly young) people who have to be cyber-attached at all times, and as such was a move Microsoft HAD to make to stay alive in the increasingly competitive mobile device market, so don't hate them for that move. For desktop users it's dirt simple to bypass the "Modern UI" screen and just stay on the desktop, as well as re-install the Start button, and the "apps" running in the background seem to use very few resources (and can be removed if desired). After that, setting up your default programs properly should stop Windows from trying to open files with "apps'. Now it feels pretty much like Win 7, but has some slick new features that enhance the user experience. I had to play with it a few hours to get it like I want it, then load some useful programs over the next few days until I had everything I wanted, then made an image of the boot drive (now a feature of Windows!) that can be restored by booting with the Windows repair disc. Just one of the many features they've added after listening to user feedback. I hated it at first, now I like it a lot, better than 7 if you can believe that!
  20. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    There's nothing hard about figuring out Win8, after all, it's aimed at non-technical, possibly computer-illiterate people who don't know a command prompt from a right-click; 3 and 4 year- olds have figured it out with out any help, and even I picked it up in a couple of hours of fooling with it. One forum poster even claimed his 60+ parents picked it right up and preferred it to Win7.
  21. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    win8 pro only cost 15usd if you bought a win7 per-installed pc, notebook, before feb 2013. so it is so far the cheapest win os I have bought. You can save this win8 for another new build.
  22. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Every one of the "SHIT" OS's had the same kernel and underlying structure as the "HOT" ones, just packaged a little different - and you forgot Windows 2000, which replaced my pre-installed ME nightmare for almost a year while waiting for xp to come out. Xp was just a home version of Win2K.
  23. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    So, yesterday I installed Windows 8 Pro x64 bits. I don't have an IT or engineering degree, so my observations are just user ones. I find things I really like and some that not so much. The Pros' after half a day of exploitation:

- the embedded: flash player, IE10, framenetwork 4.0, Security Essentials, mounting software, DirectX 11.1
    - the ability to pause file transfer and the new task manager
    - once I got that "windows button + tab" is my best friend in this interface and that the "settings" button changes depending on the opened application. Everything runs butter-smooth

The Cons:

-Skype from the Windows App Store- HORRIBLE, I had to install a Skype for desktop. I hope they fix that, but for now. It's just very limited in its functionality.
    - the Metro interface is somehow making get to where I want with one-two extra movements
    - somewhat the need for using a mouse seems greater to me, on 7 I was almost exclusively operating with a keyboard, now I feel the right click is very much needed
    - the "always on" Aero interface- the Basic and Classic looks are completely removed, really annoying in my opinion

Overall, I think I can live with the Metro interface, I really like what's behind that. With so many embedded things, it takes me an hour from a starting point (formatting HDD) to a fully functional and operating computer. I haven't tested with games yet, but we will see. So far I find it pretty much very good.
  24. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Aero offloads the GUI processing to the GPU rather then the CPU so that's actually a good thing. Most desktops have decent enough GPUs to run that as well as laptops.
  25. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    My Microsoft Comfort Curve 3000 Keyboard actually, only has 1 start button