Saturday, December 31st 2011

EKWB Teases With Radeon HD 7970 Water Block

Another European company, EK Water Blocks (EKWB), is ready with its full-coverage water block for AMD's Radeon HD 7970 graphics card, the EK-FC7970. Unlike Aqua Computer's AquagrATIx 7900, the EK-FC7970 isn't launched, the company isn't taking orders yet, but it posted a teaser picture on its Facebook page. The picture reveals the block to use copper as its primary material, with an acetal top. It appears to have standard G1/4" threading. As a full-coverage block, it covers all the heat-producing components on the obverse side of the card's PCB, including the GPU, the twelve memory chips, and VRM. EKWB did not give out other specifications, price, or availability.
Add your own comment

10 Comments on EKWB Teases With Radeon HD 7970 Water Block

#1
Lionheart
Eeewww red PCB, meh I'll take it still ^_^
Posted on Reply
#2
(FIH) The Don
just wish they made blocks that actually covered the WHOLE card, would look alot cleaner, hate it when it covers like 70%
Posted on Reply
#3
Steevo
Why are the threaded ports on the bottom?
Posted on Reply
#4
(FIH) The Don
Steevo said:
Why are the threaded ports on the bottom?
so you can run the cards in CFX

it will have threads on top too :)
Posted on Reply
#5
RejZoR
(FIH) The Don said:
just wish they made blocks that actually covered the WHOLE card, would look alot cleaner, hate it when it covers like 70%
This and i'd also like to see a clean plate over the entire other side of the card with thermal pads under GPU, VRM and memory modules. Everyone seem to be forgetting that other side is heating up as well but only few actually had such plates with pads on the less dense side of the PCB... But when you go to such extreme as water cooling you'd expect the best option there is, not some half done thing. It's not EK's fault, it's what pretty much everyone do.
It would look better, easier to clean dust and also much cooler to look at.
Posted on Reply
#6
n0tiert
RejZoR said:
This and i'd also like to see a clean plate over the entire other side of the card with thermal pads under GPU, VRM and memory modules. Everyone seem to be forgetting that other side is heating up as well but only few actually had such plates with pads on the less dense side of the PCB... But when you go to such extreme as water cooling you'd expect the best option there is, not some half done thing. It's not EK's fault, it's what pretty much everyone do.
It would look better, easier to clean dust and also much cooler to look at.
true, i have a 4870x2 and a 6990 and if i compare those two, the benefit of fullcovered and even nickel plated wb to light covered or plain copper single sided , the 6990 wb & backplate is truely a better solution than that copper one side wb, not that its easy to clean also the nickel plated waterblock don´t oxidize through sweat on fingers or other influences and the backplate gives great stability (avoid bends) to the card and cools down parts on the uppser side
Posted on Reply
#7
AthlonX2
HyperVtX™
just dont buy the plated ones... lol
Posted on Reply
#8
THE_EGG
(FIH) The Don said:
just wish they made blocks that actually covered the WHOLE card, would look alot cleaner, hate it when it covers like 70%
Well there are EVGA's FTW HC cards or whatever they're called. They cover the whole card and I think they have a back-plate too. Also I think the water blocks on the EVGA cards are made by Swiftech.
Posted on Reply
#9
AthlonX2
HyperVtX™
Hydro Copper +1
Posted on Reply
#10
Sinzia
THE_EGG said:
Well there are EVGA's FTW HC cards or whatever they're called. They cover the whole card and I think they have a back-plate too. Also I think the water blocks on the EVGA cards are made by Swiftech.
they are indeed made by swiftech, and you can usually get them right from swifty too!
Posted on Reply