Monday, April 1st 2013

Intel Core i7 "Ivy Bridge-E" HEDT Lineup Detailed

Intel's Core "Haswell" processor family may be just around the corner (June 2013), but that isn't stopping enthusiasts from looking out for the next HEDT (high-end desktop) processor from Intel, codenamed "Ivy Bridge-E." The new lineup could look similar to the company's current Core i7 "Sandy Bridge-E," in that it features a quad-core part in the $300-400 range, a six-core unlocked part in the $500-600 range, and an Extreme Edition six-core part around $1000. All three parts will be available in the LGA2011 package, and compatible with current X79 chipset-based motherboards (BIOS update could be needed). DDR3-1866 MHz could become the standard memory frequency for these chips.

The lineup will begin with Core i7-4820, a quad-core chip with a nominal clock speed of 3.70 GHz, Turbo Boost speed of 3.90 GHz, and 10 MB shared L3 cache. Moving on, there's the Core i7-4930K, a six-core chip with an unlocked BClk multiplier, nominal speed of 3.40 GHz, Turbo Boost speed of 3.90 GHz, and 12 MB shared L3 cache. The series will be topped off with the Core i7-4960X Extreme Edition, featuring an unlocked BClk multiplier, 3.60 GHz nominal clock speed, 4.00 GHz Turbo Boost speed, and 15 MB shared L3 cache. The Ivy Bridge-E silicon will be built on the 22 nm silicon fab process, and TDP for all three parts is rated at 130W. The three will be released some time in Q3, 2013.

Source: VR-Zone
Add your own comment

52 Comments on Intel Core i7 "Ivy Bridge-E" HEDT Lineup Detailed

#3
Aquinus
Resident Wat-man
jihadjoe said:
The "K" next to the 4820 makes me rather happy.
You make it sound like non-K CPUs on skt2011 can't overclock...



The highest multi I can use it 43, but that's more than enough when your bclk can hit 133Mhz.

That's my 24/7 OC, it does go higher but my motherboard doesn't let me hit 5Ghz, 4.75-4.8Ghz is about the best I can do stable at semi-reasonable temperatures, but 4.4 has been a comfy spot.

I don't think I'm going to be upgrading (even more so if I'm going to have to de-lid an IVB-E for decent temps,) but if I were, I would go with a 6c and if prices of the 3930k goes down, I might rather just go with that instead if I do take that route. We'll have to see how these new CPUs hold up. SB-E has a little higher latency because of the huge memory controller and the larger L3 cache, so maybe the shrink will do some good things with the IMC with cache latencies.

I'll wait for benchmarks before I start placing judgment on Intel.

Also for all of those who are saying X79 is a let down, unless you own a SB-E machine, I would stop talking about what you don't know anything about. I've been very happy with my X79 machine and it has delivered in every way shape and form. It's fun to use and it's a great platform to work on. I also find it rather amusing when people complain about the power consumption despite the facts that it has more cache, double the size of the IMC and double the size of the PCI-E controller, and add a couple cores. So yeah, I can perfectly understand why SB-E eats more power and I'm willing to bet that it only has part to do with the cores and has a lot to do with cache, the IMC, and the PCI-E controller.

I love my SB-E rig and I know a lot of other people who love theirs too. So despite it lacking more SATA 6Gb ports (do you really have more than two or four SSDs?) it's really not a bad platform. The PCH doesn't do nearly as much as a chipset in that position as done in the past. The CPU does most of everything and in most modern rigs, 2 integrated SATA 6Gb ports and 2 external ones if the board has it, is plenty.

Also don't complain about SATA, if you have a skt2011 machine you have 40 PCI-E lanes that are ready to get filled up with things that don't need to be video cards. If I were really going to run more than 2 SSDs, I would rather have a decent RAID controller to handle them as opposed to using RSTe.

Also last time I checked z77 also only has two SATA 6Gb ports off the PCH, so it's not like it's a downgrade though.
Posted on Reply
#4
Aquinus
Resident Wat-man
Breit said:
That's madness! I like it. ;)
I'll stick with my 3820 which has ~1/2 the power for < 1/10th the cost. :)
Posted on Reply
#5
buggalugs
Aquinus said:

I love my SB-E rig and I know a lot of other people who love theirs too. .
I had a sandy bridge-e system with a 3930k and I didn't like it. It felt like a slow unresponsive mess to me. I got rid of it within weeks. Overclocks doesn't mean the system feels fast and responsive. I have always bought the highend Intel platform but I ditched sandy-e for mainstream ivy and its a better system imo.

My ivy(3770k) performs about the same as my 3930k in all benchmarks except where the extra 2 cores come into play, even then not much difference.....and the Ivy uses like 40% less power!

The memory controller on ivy is much faster and much better latency than sandy-e. Look on the benchmarks, sandy-e mem latency is around 64ns on ivy around 40ns (at default 1600Mhz) and memory throughput is around 2,000MB/s faster on ivy(at default 1600Mhz).

So the super duper quad channel memory system is slower and much more latency than mainstream ivy and I noticed it in responsiveness and how the system feels.

Add to that, the half baked features, X79 basically has equal to or LESS features than a mainstream ivy board. Even the driver updates are few and far between, its like a beta system.

X79 could have been good but it seems Intel just gave up on it, to focus on ivy and haswell.

I haven't given up on the high end, still hoping ivy-e will be good enough to buy, tri-gate on ivy-e could really help with responsiveness and imc performance, but if they are going to use current unfinished X79 boards they can jam it, I'll move to Haswell in that case.
Posted on Reply
#6
Breit
buggalugs said:
I had a sandy bridge-e system with a 3930k and I didn't like it. It felt like a slow unresponsive mess to me. I got rid of it within weeks. Overclocks doesn't mean the system feels fast and responsive. I have always bought the highend Intel platform but I ditched sandy-e for mainstream ivy and its a better system imo.

My ivy(3770k) performs about the same as my 3930k in all benchmarks except where the extra 2 cores come into play, even then not much difference.....and the Ivy uses like 40% less power!

The memory controller on ivy is much faster and much better latency than sandy-e. Look on the benchmarks, sandy-e mem latency is around 64ns on ivy around 40ns (at default 1600Mhz) and memory throughput is around 2,000MB/s faster on ivy(at default 1600Mhz).

So the super duper quad channel memory system is slower and much more latency than mainstream ivy and I noticed it in responsiveness and how the system feels.

Add to that, the half baked features, X79 basically has equal to or LESS features than a mainstream ivy board. Even the driver updates are few and far between, its like a beta system.

X79 could have been good but it seems Intel just gave up on it, to focus on ivy and haswell.

I haven't given up on the high end, still hoping ivy-e will be good enough to buy, tri-gate on ivy-e could really help with responsiveness and imc performance, but if they are going to use current unfinished X79 boards they can jam it, I'll move to Haswell in that case.
looks to me like you've done something wrong here. what board did you use?
for memory throughput, i got well over 40GB/s on my R4E read and write. i suppose thats never possible on z77, even with an ivy bridge chip... but i'll check that, i've a maximus v formula lying around somewhere with a 3570k. :)
memory latency is another topic, but even with ivb-e the 'small' plattform (read: ivy bridge + z77) will be better here simply because there isn't so much going on.
Posted on Reply
#7
Aquinus
Resident Wat-man
buggalugs said:
I had a sandy bridge-e system with a 3930k and I didn't like it. It felt like a slow unresponsive mess to me. I got rid of it within weeks. Overclocks doesn't mean the system feels fast and responsive. I have always bought the highend Intel platform but I ditched sandy-e for mainstream ivy and its a better system imo.
Then you weren't doing it right because it should be just as fast. Yes the 3770k is a bit faster in some cases, but it doesn't mean that it is dead slow and if it felt slow and unresponsive you did something wrong.

Also if you bought SB-E for gaming, you already did something wrong. :shadedshu

buggalugs said:
My ivy(3770k) performs about the same as my 3930k in all benchmarks except where the extra 2 cores come into play, even then not much difference.....and the Ivy uses like 40% less power!
Yes, the IVB chip also has 4 cores, not 6. 8Mb of cache, not 15Mb. 20 PCI-E lanes, not 40. It doesn't have QPI, SB-E does. SB-E has a bigger memory controller, IVB does not. IVB is also a newer CPU using a smaller process, so just the die shrink alone will reduce power consumption, so if you compare it to a similar core (2600k) it only uses 30% more power to double just about everything other than the cores.

Benchmarks also say which is faster, it doesn't explicitly mean that the faster one is fastn and the slower one is always very slow. If you bought SB-E for single-thread performance alone then you made a mistake in the first place.

So yeah, it eats more power because it has a lot more stuff shoved into it than IVB has and it is still 32nm.
buggalugs said:
The memory controller on ivy is much faster and much better latency than sandy-e. Look on the benchmarks, sandy-e mem latency is around 64ns on ivy around 40ns (at default 1600Mhz) and memory throughput is around 2,000MB/s faster on ivy(at default 1600Mhz).
Then once again you're doing something wrong because the latency on my 3820 is only ~42ns. The cache is very slightly slower, but I also have 10Mb of it on the 3820. Also your memory benchmark must have been single-threaded because the quad-channel memory controller doesn't start chugging away until you have multiple cores hit it. Two channels is plenty for two fully loaded cores with a lot of memory I/O.

I've seen multi-threaded memory benchmarks dominate on SB-E CPUs, even my 3820 does pretty well.

Sandra also doesn't use a single-thread to measure memory bandwidth.

buggalugs said:
Add to that, the half baked features, X79 basically has equal to or LESS features than a mainstream ivy board. Even the driver updates are few and far between, its like a beta system.
Really? Last time I checked z77 only has two SATA 6Gb ports as well. If you take a look at the back of my board I also have 6 USB 3.0 ports as well as headers for another 4. X79 is only the PCH which is basically a glorified south bridge with a couple IOH-like attributes (like 8 PCI-E lanes off the PCH.) More often than not, what the PCH offers is enough and if you need more, expand. PCI-E was developed for more than just video cards.

So before you start going on this "IVB has more" that's crap. It's also a lot less about the chipset now because the CPU handles most of everything. Also if you're complaining about SATA 6Gb ports, you only have one SSD, so why do you care?

Also no updates aren't a bad thing. My SB-E rig is perfectly stable. Why would I update my chipset drivers if it is working flawlessly and why would Intel want to introduce new bugs when they have something that works fine already.

buggalugs said:
I haven't given up on the high end, still hoping ivy-e will be good enough to buy, tri-gate on ivy-e could really help with responsiveness and imc performance, but if they are going to use current unfinished X79 boards they can jam it, I'll move to Haswell in that case.
Since the PCH determines so much in the way of performance? Like I said, SB-E has 40 PCI-e lanes for a reason, if your board doesn't have something that you need then add it. If you're going to complain about the PCH not having everything you ever hoped for, you even more of a troll than I initial thought. :mad:
Breit said:
looks to me like you've done something wrong here. what board did you use?
for memory throughput, i got well over 40GB/s on my R4E read and write. i suppose thats never possible on z77, even with an ivy bridge chip... but i'll check that, i've a maximus v formula lying around somewhere with a 3570k.
memory latency is another topic, but even with ivb-e the 'small' plattform (read: ivy bridge z77) will be better here simply because there isn't so much going on.
That's what I was thinking. My memory bandwidth is great. Always responsive, never a problem. I think he is one of those "if you have to ask about SB-E you probably don't need it" users and wasn't using it properly. Not to demean him, but to call SB-E slow and unresponsive is a sign of a problem with your platform or how it's configured, not the architecture.
Posted on Reply
#8
Frick
Fishfaced Nincompoop
Wait wait wait a minute, how on earth can tri-gate make a system more responsive?
Posted on Reply
#9
Aquinus
Resident Wat-man
Frick said:
Wait wait wait a minute, how on earth can tri-gate make a system more responsive?
It doesn't, which is why I'm inclined to think he is:
A: A troll. and...
B: Unknowledgeable of the subject. and...
C: Quick to jump to incorrect conclusions.

I hope my post cleared some things up. :)
Aquinus said:
Snipped anti-troll thread.
Posted on Reply
#12
Sabishii Hito
I've been waiting on this since IB-E was first talked about, glad it's confirmed it will be a drop-in replacement for my 3930k. Hopefully I can run 24/7 quad channel DDR3-2666 :D (My 3930k isn't 100% stable 24/7 with DDR3-2400).
Posted on Reply
#13
Aquinus
Resident Wat-man
Sabishii Hito said:
I've been waiting on this since IB-E was first talked about, glad it's confirmed it will be a drop-in replacement for my 3930k. Hopefully I can run 24/7 quad channel DDR3-2666 :D (My 3930k isn't 100% stable 24/7 with DDR3-2400).
Really? My 3820 is running 2400Mhz stable now. I can run it up to 2450 stable, I haven't tried loosening the timings to get it higher since it's only rated for 2133@9-11-10-28 and I'm running it at 2416@10-12-11-30. Do you have memory that fast or are you trying to overclock it? I found my IMC to be pretty decent.
Posted on Reply
#14
Sabishii Hito
I have 2400 rated memory, several kits in fact. I can boot up 2400 and run some benchmarks, but something really stressful like OCCT Linpack AVX test fails. I've also noticed only my TridentX 2400C9 kit really works well with it, my Team 2400C9 and Vengeance 2400C9 are never stable. Given the IMC can run memory at 2400 it could be a matter of tweaking voltage but VCCSA up to 1.25v doesn't change anything.
Posted on Reply
#15
xtremesv
Aquinus said:
Yes, the IVB chip also has 4 cores, not 6. 8Mb of cache, not 15Mb. 20 PCI-E lanes, not 40. It doesn't have QPI, SB-E does. SB-E has a bigger memory controller, IVB does not.
And don't forget , IB has cheap TlM and SB-E fluxless solder. For some people this has become a feature.
Posted on Reply
#16
Aquinus
Resident Wat-man
Sabishii Hito said:
I have 2400 rated memory, several kits in fact. I can boot up 2400 and run some benchmarks, but something really stressful like OCCT Linpack AVX test fails. I've also noticed only my TridentX 2400C9 kit really works well with it, my Team 2400C9 and Vengeance 2400C9 are never stable. Given the IMC can run memory at 2400 it could be a matter of tweaking voltage but VCCSA up to 1.25v doesn't change anything.
As I understand it, VCCSA helps bclk and cache overclocks where VTT/VCCIO is the DRAM controller voltage.
Posted on Reply
#17
cadaveca
My name is Dave
Aquinus said:
As I understand it, VCCSA helps bclk and cache overclocks where VTT/VCCIO is the DRAM controller voltage.
Nope, VCCSA is system agent, is memory controller and cache, etc.

VCCIO is I/O, as it's labeled, and is the new "VTT", for BCLK.


VCCIO has ZERO relation to memory control for me. In fact, on SKT1155 I run stock VCCIO and VCCSA voltages in nearly all motherboard testing. There were a few boards that required that VCCSA is boosted, but only one or two, and only when running 2666 MHz memory.

It's just the same on X79, as VCCIO will need a boost for BCLK, but VCCSA might as well, since the base speed cache and everything is running at is higher. However, like SKT1155, I run 125x37 with stock VCCIO and VCCSA, and only increasing ram speed makes VCCSA increase needed.


Either way, hopefully our CPU reviewer will have a review when these chips launch. I also expect a few new boards, too.
Posted on Reply
#18
Hood
Let's Go!

ensabrenoir said:
........its truely the end of an era..... the. Great. Cpu war is over.......the needlessly overpowered pc is almost gone. And we await the time until desktops become. "The shiznit" once more to the masses.......still gonna upgrade anyway follow me if u dare..... or have enough play. Dough.
I'm with you - 900D, P9X79-E WS, i7-4860X, AX1200i, 8 x 8GB Dominator Plat. 3000, 2 x Titans, 480mm & 2 x 360mm radiators, about 30 fans, HUE & cold cathode lighting, triple 30" monitors, and whatever else I can think of. I figure I'll have just $13,000 in it, only a little bit more than my Dad paid for his first house. I have to build it. In a year or two they'll start soldering CPUs to the board, then RAM will be stacked on-die, the extreme chips will have a TDP of 33 watts, and the Era Of Ridiculously Overblown Computers will be over forever.
Posted on Reply
#19
Hood
You Got That Right

xtremesv said:
And don't forget , IB has cheap TlM and SB-E fluxless solder. For some people this has become a feature.
Yeah I'm so ready to delid my 3570K I can already feel the chill wind blowing through my case!
Posted on Reply
#20
Frick
Fishfaced Nincompoop
Hood said:
I'm with you - 900D, P9X79-E WS, i7-4860X, AX1200i, 8 x 8GB Dominator Plat. 3000, 2 x Titans, 480mm & 2 x 360mm radiators, about 30 fans, HUE & cold cathode lighting, triple 30" monitors, and whatever else I can think of. I figure I'll have just $13,000 in it, only a little bit more than my Dad paid for his first house. I have to build it. In a year or two they'll start soldering CPUs to the board, then RAM will be stacked on-die, the extreme chips will have a TDP of 33 watts, and the Era Of Ridiculously Overblown Computers will be over forever.
Because a lower TDP is a bad thing. Also, workstations will automagically cease to exist, and you will have to prove you need the computing power you want. :confused:
Posted on Reply
#21
Hood
哦靠

Frick said:
Also, workstations will automagically cease to exist, and you will have to prove you need the computing power you want
Is that before or after China calls in all debts and takes over America?
Posted on Reply
#22
Dj-ElectriC
Hood said:
Is that before or after China calls in all debts and takes over America?
donno if sarcastic or actually mean it by your title of "oh really" in chinease... creepy as f*ck.
Posted on Reply
#23
Hood
白宮到哪條路?

Dj-ElectriC said:
donno if sarcastic or actually mean it by your title of "oh really" in chinease... creepy as f*ck.
Actually, that was supposed to be a translation of "Oh S**t", and sarcasm it was. But from the things I hear, the Chinese already own large chunks of America and we owe them trillions. And yes, it's creepy. Hence the new title.
Posted on Reply
#24
m1dg3t
This thread is about CPUs, not Chinas Capitalist takeover of the United States. :ohwell:
Posted on Reply
#25
ensabrenoir
Sabishii Hito said:
I've been waiting on this since IB-E was first talked about, glad it's confirmed it will be a drop-in replacement for my 3930k. Hopefully I can run 24/7 quad channel DDR3-2666 :D (My 3930k isn't 100% stable 24/7 with DDR3-2400).
Me too ... only reason i got a 3820 was too hold me over until ivy e and some better temps
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment