Monday, February 1st 2016

Dell Intros UltraSharp U2717D with InfinityEdge Bezels

Dell introduced the UltraSharp U2717D monitor, featuring a super-thin bezel design, which the company refers to as InfinityEdge, that lets you build multi-display setups, with minimal bezel loss. The 27-incher features an IPS display panel, with WQHD (2560 x 1440 pixels) resolution, 6 ms (GTG) response time, 350 cd/m² maximum brightness, and 1000:1 static- with dynamic mega-contrast ratio. The panel surface features 3H anti-glare coating. Inputs include DisplayPort 1.2, mDP 1.2, and HDMI 1.4a (with MHL support). A USB 3.0 hub comes included. Dell didn't reveal pricing or availability.
Add your own comment

18 Comments on Dell Intros UltraSharp U2717D with InfinityEdge Bezels

#1
lZKoce
I really hope my next monitor is Dell. Some fine job right there. And you can mount a soundbar on the bottom of some models. Sweet work.
Posted on Reply
#2
ZoneDymo
"featuring a super-think bezel design"

super-thin*

Also nice to put that forth as the main selling point....and then not actually mention how thin it is...
Still looks pretty thick to me, can we really not have it be like a millimeter by now
Posted on Reply
#3
The Quim Reaper
It may not have the fancy refresh rates or adaptive sync tricks but for pure picture quality, you'll have to go along way to beat a Dell IPS panel.
Posted on Reply
#4
urza26
Personally I don't think 27" is that suited for eyefinity 3:1 (yes, I know the images show 2:2, but 3:1 is still a far more common and likely scenario).
27" monitors are at least 60 cm wide, so having 3 of those would mean you constantly have to turn your head or you have to sit over 1 meter away from your screens. So I would pick 23.8" or 24" monitors for such a set up any day.
Posted on Reply
#5
bug
urza26 said:
Personally I don't think 27" is that suited for eyefinity 3:1 (yes, I know the images show 2:2, but 3:1 is still a far more common and likely scenario).
27" monitors are at least 60 cm wide, so having 3 of those would mean you constantly have to turn your head or you have to sit over 1 meter away from your screens. So I would pick 23.8" or 24" monitors for such a set up any day.
Actually, setups with even numbers of monitors are rather uncommon, because that puts the bezel in the middle, right in from of your eyes. I'm on a dual monitor setup right now, but one monitor is tucked away on one side, used mostly for notifications - so in this kind of scenario, the bezel thickness is irrelevant.

Still, a thin bezel looks darn stylish.
Posted on Reply
#6
RejZoR
Still too thick. I've disassembled LCD few times and they all had actual panel with like 2mm bezel. Why do they even need this thick crap around? Just make the panel bezel THE actual bezel of the monitor. That'll be super thin.
Posted on Reply
#7
Parn
So this is basically the U2715H minus a couple of cm on the bezel?

Looking at the images, the bezel does seem to be slightly thinner than my U2715H. Probably on the same level as my work PC U2414H.
Posted on Reply
#8
Breit
That monitor stand doesn't look like it can rotate the display. So how is that dual-portrait setup possible using the build-in stand? Photoshop? :cool:
Posted on Reply
#9
Parn
Breit said:
That monitor stand doesn't look like it can rotate the display. So how is that dual-portrait setup possible using the build-in stand? Photoshop? :cool:
You're right. It looks like they modified the stand significantly compared to all previous Dell Ultrasharps which could do tilt, swivel and rotate.
Posted on Reply
#11
Breit
Makes sense to put wrong pictures in press releases... o_O
Posted on Reply
#12
Octavean
m4dcow said:
That rear view picture is wrong, they have the manual for the U2717D on the site and it doesn't look like that.
http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_display_projector/esuprt_Display/dell-u2717d-monitor_User's Guide_en-us.pdf
Good I was wondering about that,.....

While these look like great monitors to have, I personally I'm not that interested. Currently I have two 28" 4K monitors, two 27" 2560x1440 IPS monitors and three 27" 1920x1080 monitors. For future purchases I would want ~32" to ~40" monitors ranging in resolution from 3440x1440 to 3840x2160 or 4096x2160. DisplayPort 1.3, HDMI 2.0 an USB 3.1.

I came close to buying a Seiki Pro SM40UNP 40" model because there was a sale price bringing it down from ~$750 to ~$450 USD. It then went back up to ~$699 and went back down on sale to ~$508 before settling on ~$750 again.

I kind of regret not buying it but one of my reason for abstaining was because I would prefer to buy a product that has the features I want.

Monitors like this Dell are fine but they don't seem like this is where the industry should be heading. A thinner bezel is nice but I don't see them pushing much else that is noteworthy,...
Posted on Reply
#13
Chaitanya
ZoneDymo said:
"featuring a super-think bezel design"

super-thin*

Also nice to put that forth as the main selling point....and then not actually mention how thin it is...
Still looks pretty thick to me, can we really not have it be like a millimeter by now

Check this news article from TFTCentral:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/35.htm#dell_u2717d

RejZoR said:
Still too thick. I've disassembled LCD few times and they all had actual panel with like 2mm bezel. Why do they even need this thick crap around? Just make the panel bezel THE actual bezel of the monitor. That'll be super thin.
I think the reason might be to provide some breathing room for PSU and other heat generating components. Many super Slim monitors on market come with an external power brick whereas those that come with are quite thick.

m4dcow said:
That rear view picture is wrong, they have the manual for the U2717D on the site and it doesn't look like that.
http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_display_projector/esuprt_Display/dell-u2717d-monitor_User's Guide_en-us.pdf
Thanks for the link to user manual, looks like finally Dell has ditched those capacitive buttons which many people didn't like due to missed inputs.

Breit said:
Makes sense to put wrong pictures in press releases... o_O
Not the first time, wrong pics were sent for PR.
Posted on Reply
#14
urza26
bug said:
Actually, setups with even numbers of monitors are rather uncommon, because that puts the bezel in the middle, right in from of your eyes. I'm on a dual monitor setup right now, but one monitor is tucked away on one side, used mostly for notifications - so in this kind of scenario, the bezel thickness is irrelevant.

Still, a thin bezel looks darn stylish.
Exactly how I got my 2 monitors now set up as well :)
But my point was the width is likely going to be an issue with panels of that size (~60cm wide) when going for a multi-monitor set up.
Posted on Reply
#15
levish
ZoneDymo said:
"featuring a super-think bezel design"

super-thin*

Also nice to put that forth as the main selling point....and then not actually mention how thin it is...
Still looks pretty thick to me, can we really not have it be like a millimeter by now

I think the sides and top are 7mm and the bottom is a bit larger if it is anything like the other models
Posted on Reply
#17
RejZoR
@Chaitanya
Nah, it doesn't matter. PSU and all the electronics can be at the back. Dept thickness is not as important as bezel thickness. You can stack them even if they are thick in depth dimension, but it's very hard if bezels are very thick. In the past it wasn't as important, but today with super fast graphic cards that can run up to 4 huge screens, it is quite important.
Posted on Reply
#18
Chaitanya
RejZoR said:
@Chaitanya
Nah, it doesn't matter. PSU and all the electronics can be at the back. Dept thickness is not as important as bezel thickness. You can stack them even if they are thick in depth dimension, but it's very hard if bezels are very thick. In the past it wasn't as important, but today with super fast graphic cards that can run up to 4 huge screens, it is quite important.
I thought you were talking about the depth rather than bezel thickness. Most of the new Dell monitors have 7-8mm bezel thickness, this monitor has 7.3mm bezel thickness. Thats why I had linked the tftcentral press release which had specified the bezel thickness as well as the other Monitor Arm based model released at the same time which TPU has missed for some reason.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment