Tuesday, March 8th 2016

EpicGear Announces the Defiant Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

EpicGear, international vendor of high-quality and competitively-oriented gaming peripherals, today presents the fully modular, mechanical DEFIANT introducing a whole new level of customizability for gaming keyboards. The proprietary Modular-Matrix-Structure (EG MMS) allows it to change and mix the mechanical switches EG Grey (linear), EG Orange (tactile) and EG Purple (tactile and clicking), all developed by EpicGear.

Another industry changing novelty for gaming keyboards is the widely diverse selection of expandable keyboard add-ons which allow even more customizability. That includes an extra keypad with macros, which can be easily plugged in on the left side, a palm rest and more extensions. All accessories are available separately. So every gamer can decide which are useful and helpful. The EpicGear DEFIANT will be available in April 2016 for US$89.99 plus tax.

Individual Style of Play - Individual Needs
The DEFIANT comes with a wide range of attachable add-ons that allows every type of gamer to upgrade the keyboard to their individual needs. Whereas enthusiasts and professionals expect on-demand-control, casual gamers prefer comfort - the DEFIANT can serve both. A macro keypad with 24 full programmable keys and a modest, ergonomic wrist rest are just two of the many extension set-ups. Additional ones are a rear mount bumper with audio jacks and three USB ports, a tournament palm rest, various protection films, a white keycap set as well as retail packs of EG MMS Mechanical Switches in different color sets.
Add your own comment

10 Comments on EpicGear Announces the Defiant Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

#2
avatar_raq
Is this the first keyboard to use these switches? How do they compare to the cherries?
Posted on Reply
#3
Fx
It looks nice enough, but I can't stand red.
Posted on Reply
#4
GreiverBlade
avatar_raq said:
Is this the first keyboard to use these switches? How do they compare to the cherries?
most likely EG branded Cherry MX or Kailh ... i've never seen any switches "developed and manufactured" by a keyboard brand recently, just like Razer with the green and orange switch, which are on their own specification but are also still Kailh switches, or Rapoo with the Rapoo Yellow switches in the KX which are just Kailh Yellow with Rapoo branding (altho i saw a thread that pointed the Rapoo Yellow could not be Kailh on basis that they have a golden crosspoint like the one from Cherry).


unless more information on these switches i assume it's a OEM switch with EG branding.
Posted on Reply
#5
[502]
Judging from the price, I'm guessing they are using Kailh switches.
This is actually quite decent, and I hope the add-ons aren't expensive.
Posted on Reply
#6
ShurikN
GreiverBlade said:
most likely EG branded Cherry MX or Kailh ... i've never seen any switches "developed and manufactured" by a keyboard brand recently, just like Razer with the green and orange switch, which are on their own specification but are also still Kailh switches, or Rapoo with the Rapoo Yellow switches in the KX which are just Kailh Yellow with Rapoo branding (altho i saw a thread that pointed the Rapoo Yellow could not be Kailh on basis that they have a golden crosspoint like the one from Cherry).


unless more information on these switches i assume it's a OEM switch with EG branding.
Isn't Logitech making their switches in house currently. Romer G or whats it called.
Posted on Reply
#7
GreiverBlade
ShurikN said:
Isn't Logitech making their switches in house currently. Romer G or whats it called.
well i forgot about Logitech altho ... thanks for reminding me (a shame also ... since i am Swiss ...), and yep it's Romer G

nonetheless i am not sure they are the manufacturer, designer: surely, but manufacturer, lt can also be an OEM case.

i keep my post, but i add.

Romer G : OEM Omron :D yep ... OEM
Manufacturer [COLOR=rgb(11, 0, 128)]Omron[/COLOR]
Product name Romer-G
Introduced 2014
Switch type Tactile
Actuation force 45g


my actual favorites switches, well Cherry MX Brown for gaming (main rig) and Kailh Yellow for typing on the go and light gaming on my (travel)HTPC
tested the Romer G a while ago ... not into it, too light actuation even if it's only 5g less, tho the lightning option is quite good compared to the LED type Cherry and clones (and that even if many compared the feeling of the Romer G to the Cherry MX Brown ... totally not comparable for me :oops: )
Posted on Reply
#8
EpicGear
Hello readers of TECHPOWERUP,

Thank you all for your interest and comments on the DEFIANT keyboard and EG MMS Mechanical Switches.

The EG Switches are not Kailh nor Cherry, they are made to our own specifications, including material used and quality standards, by an exclusive OEM manufacturing partner of ours.

In attached you will find a PDF data sheet on the EG MMS Switches for your reference.

A big thanks to TECHPOWERUP for sharing the news on the DEFIANT and EG MMS Switches.


Regards,

Team EpicGear
Posted on Reply
#9
Caring1
Why call it the Defiant?
Is it because it doesn't do as it's told? :rolleyes:
Posted on Reply
#10
GreiverBlade
EpicGear said:
The EG Switches are not Kailh nor Cherry, they are made to our own specifications, including material used and quality standards, by an exclusive OEM manufacturing partner of ours.
so if not Kailh or Cherry then what OEM? Razer also do their own specification switches but they still mention they are Kailh, i am curious to know your OEM :D .

i guess i need to buy a Defiant to inspect the marking on the switch ahah and to compare with my other mech and see if worth it, unless i can find a nice and tidy review ... altho the double crosspoint and switch swap without requiring desoldering are interesting.
altho not knowing the details make me reluctant :roll: ;)

edit: too bad it's not a TKL :cry: tho the price is nice

edit bis: come with add-ons ... include in the original package? or separate?
Posted on Reply