Monday, February 19th 2018

Lucasfilm Rumored to Ditch EA for a New Game Publisher

Rumors are going around that Lucasfilm isn't too happy with how the Star Wars franchise is turning out since they handed the license on a silver platter over to Electronic Arts in 2013. Up to now, EA has produced a total of two titles under the Star Wars: Battlefront sub-series. Their first Star Wars: Battlefront game was released in 2015 and many considered it a reboot of the previous games. Regardless, Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) was highly criticized for its lack of a single-player campaign. EA's solution to keep die-hard Star Wars fans happy was to release a multitude of free expansions and paid DLC packs to add more content to the game. And then came Star Wars: Battlefront II in 2017, a sequel that received even harsher backlash because of the over aggressive loot-crate system that was implemented into the game. In an attempt to put out the fire, EA temporarily eliminated the microtransactions.

Then, to make matters even worse, EA closed Visceral Games last year. The studio was working on the single-player driven Star Wars: Project Ragtag title, but apparently it didn't fit into EA's business model so they decided to pull the plug. With all that has occurred, EA's relationship with Lucasfilm hangs on a thin thread right now. The gaming giant's lackluster record of releasing two games in a five year period allegedly forced Lucasfilm to explore other options. Ubisoft and Activision were the two big names that have been mentioned so far. If the rumors were true, who would you rather have working on the next Star Wars game?
Source: Cinelinx

75 Comments on Lucasfilm Rumored to Ditch EA for a New Game Publisher

lexluthermiester
Udit said:
In my opinion CD Projekt Red should get the job.
LIKE! Super-ultra-like! Excellent idea!

FordGT90Concept said:
Not true. Star Wars is pretty big in Asia.
Prima.Vera
windwhirl said:
I want a remake of the X-Wing and TIE Fighter series. I don't care who grabs the licenses next, if they give me such thing and it's well done.
Hopefully not with the uber shitty and crappy fighter controls like on the Battlefield or worst, SWTOR...
bug
lexluthermiester said:
However it did well in Korea, Japan, India and other parts of Asia. But I digress..
Ah, I was about to ask where it didn't flop.
neatfeatguy
FordGT90Concept said:
Last Jedi flopped in China
At least there's a part of the world out there that realized how crappy the last two Star Wars (Force Awakens, Last Jedi) movies are.

Personally, I'm not sure what movie is worse, the first three (Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith) or the last two (Force Awakens, Last Jedi) that just recently came out. I am so glad that I haven't spent any money on these movies (aside from catching Phantom Menace the day it released and then regretting it about 30 minutes into the movie).
bug
neatfeatguy said:

Well, Force Awakens is not terrible. It's just that it's been done before. It's basically the original Star Wars movie remade.
kastriot
Neither, all starwars franchise(games!!) are crap..
bug
kastriot said:
Neither, all starwars franchise(games!!) are crap..
Have you actually played Kotor? Tie Fighter?
I can understand if the SW universe does nothing for you, but those were really, really good games.
Totally
FordGT90Concept said:
If it sells well, they'll probably start working on expansions and a sequel. Sequel can easily take three years to make.

CD Projekt RED goes for low profile/regional IPs. Lucas would want way more money than CD Projekt RED is willing to pay. Also bare in mind that Star Wars has little (and diminishing) appeal outside of the West.
People are just naming whatever successful studio without a tarnished rep at this point, don't know whether this is a good thing or bad thing as it shows everyone is fed up with EA to the point where they are willing to put up with anyone else. OTOH, studios being named revealing people's ignorance.
Slizzo
I think they need to diversify developers. Why would giving a single publisher the rights to exclusive development of Star Wars IP? Makes no sense.
Totally
Slizzo said:
Mulling over it for a bit, I believe this is the same realization that Disney has reached. They're probably just scrambling to fix things now that EA has botched things for two movies worth of tie-ins, and with the third one on the way, they don't want a repeat and are restrategizing. EA is probably safe with the SW rights barring that they don't do or say anything monumentally stupid, just going to lose the exclusivity portion of whatever agreement they made. Because of the position EA has put them in, Disney is probably opting for the shotgun approach so they'll have as many games as possible with next movie. If I'm right and I hope I am not this means nothing good for SW as whatever wasn't originally planned is going to be rushed out the door.
neatfeatguy
bug said:
Eh....to each their own, but I thought the movie was dull, the acting was sub-par and you could tell that some folks were just there to collect a check.

kastriot said:
Neither, all starwars franchise(games!!) are crap..
I enjoyed a handful of Star Wars games. Even for how bad the Phantom Menace game was, it was certainly more entertaining than the actual movie.

X-Wing
Tie Fighter
Jedi Outcast
Jedi Academy
KOTOR I
KOTOR II
Dark Forces
Dark Forces II

Those were all decent games, regardless of them being tied to Star Wars. I'm sure I'm missing a couple. While not a great game, but I remember playing the crap out of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back on the Atari 2600 when I was little.

I guess we wait and see what becomes of this possible talk of EA getting dropped.
Totally
neatfeatguy said:
Feel the same also, which puzzles me since Disney seems to prefer British actors as if they are better but they aren't and are akin to swiss-army knives which feeds into my theory that Disney is now a British corporation now masquerading as an American one.
TheMailMan78
Big Member
Are we forgetting "Shadows of the Empire" and "Rogue Squadron"? Shadows of the Empire was AWESOME!
rtwjunkie
PC Gaming Enthusiast
+1 for Rogue Squadron. I played the hell out of that way back.
Vayra86
CrAsHnBuRnXp said:
Abandons game > developer doesnt care. shit product.
keeps game current and interesting to play > milks it.

Devs cant win
Thats why they create their own studios ;)

Totally said:
keeps game current and interesting to play? Using that phrase loosely don't you think? More like withholding content that should have been included with the base game in the first place so they can charge for more later. Seems like nowadays anything that remotely resembles what you described just gets repackaged as a whole new game instead of proper dlc or an expansion.
Nah, that's too easy. Many games today are far more expansive than games in the past. Both in content and options. I could give you a long list of examples for games that are continuously maintained and still relevant - and get milked as well ;)
windwhirl
Prima.Vera said:
Oh god, No! I want to use an actual joystick for a possible remake and get all the controls and gameplay experience just like the X-Wing vs TIE Fighter game. To be honest, it would be enough for me if they just updated the engine and the graphic resources to take advantage of current hardware. I don't want any change to how I have to pilot the fighters.
GhostRyder
TheMailMan78 said:
Oh hell yea!!! Shadows of the Empire was one of my favorite games!
bug
neatfeatguy said:
I was just being sarcastic, TFA is where I stopped caring about the franchise.
TheinsanegamerN
windwhirl said:
As much as I would like that, you know they would screw it all up to high heaven.

All 4 games (x wing, tie fighter, XvT, and alliance) are available on GoG. I can just play those instead. Same with the new battlefront...I already have the old battlefront 2, and it has multiplayer again. Why buy the new stuff?
Prima.Vera
neatfeatguy said:

X-Wing
Tie Fighter
Jedi Outcast
Jedi Academy
KOTOR I
KOTOR II
Dark Forces
Dark Forces II

You forgot the Rogue Squadron series, which imo are the best Star Wars flight simulators to date.
bug
Rogue Squadron? Doesn't hold a candle to TIE Fighter, imho.
I mean, there was this mission where you had to protect a delivery of TIE Defenders and you did so, hoping you'll get to fly these armored beasts in later missions. And you did, eventually, but first you had to chase down the admiral that defected taking with him all the Defenders you just escorted. You had to fight against said defenders with less capable ships before you got to fly them.
Then there was the sense of urgency (sometimes borderline desperation) trying to fulfill a bonus objective while also keeping tabs on your primaries and secondaries.
Rogue Squadron was also good, but it felt a little childish in comparison.
windwhirl
TheinsanegamerN said:

I have the Steam versions of those games (had to get them, once I found out the original ones didn't work really well on Windows 10, at least on my computer). But still... as long as they don't screw it up, I'd love a remake.
arterius2
lexluthermiester said:
wtf are you talking about, it did terrible in rest of asia as well compared to other films.