Friday, January 4th 2008

Warner Bros. Opts for Blu-ray Exclusivity

The HD disk market has seen another twist with the news that Warner Bros. plans to make all of its high definition film releases exclusive to Blu-ray. The movie label is claiming that the decision was a strategic move, saying:
The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers. A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward high definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry. Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience.
Warner Bros. will stop releasing HD DVD movies in May this year, and any movies it does release before that cut-off will be initially launched on Blu-ray and released on HD DVD after a “short window.” This news follows Paramount and DreamWorks announcing that they would release movies exclusively on HD DVD four months ago.Source: DailyTech
Add your own comment

58 Comments on Warner Bros. Opts for Blu-ray Exclusivity

#1
Easy Rhino
Linux Advocate
kwchang007 said:
Hmm maybe the early ones. Or maybe they came out with a firmware update. Because I know when they were coming out I was like WTF is wrong with them for not doing upscaling. Just googled it....it was firmware update?
perhaps. i got mine a month ago. people who have owned them since the beginning told me they upscale.
Posted on Reply
#2
Ravenas
kwchang007 said:
Hmm maybe the early ones. Or maybe they came out with a firmware update. Because I know when they were coming out I was like WTF is wrong with them for not doing upscaling. Just googled it....it was a firmware update?
PS3 upscales movies and older games.
Posted on Reply
#3
kwchang007
Ravenas said:
PS3 upscales movies and older games.
Yeah googled it and found out it was a firmware update...not very up to date (me) :banghead:
Posted on Reply
#4
effmaster
Ravenas said:
Lol, you support HD DVD because MS does? Lol, can you not make descions for yourself? :laugh:
No you misunderstood me Ravenas

Microsoft may be disliked by many a person here but you still cannot doubt their influence in the world of technology. That had a large influence in my decision but it wasnt the only reason I support HD DVD.

I researched the two formats and realized that hey HD DVD is cheaper and I can get HD alot cheaper with the same quality as the other format.

Plus I didnt have to wait for the BD Java pip thing to finally come around it was already a set feature that wwas supported from the start for HD DVD.

And lets not forget that while Wile E has a point isn that the combo HD DVD's may be pointless to him but it helped me to realize that hey I can just say that I can watch it on more than one TV in my house. I can watch it on the one HDTV in our house (yes we finally got an HDTV) and if I want to watch it in our guest room on our Standard Def tv I vcan as well I wont have to buy the standard def DVD seperatley. Because remember most people have only one maybe two HDTVs in their house or none at all.
Posted on Reply
#5
Azn Tr14dZ
effmaster said:
No you misunderstood me Ravenas

Microsoft may be disliked by many a person here but you still cannot doubt their influence in the world of technology. That had a large influence in my decision but it wasnt the only reason I support HD DVD.

I researched the two formats and realized that hey HD DVD is cheaper and I can get HD alot cheaper with the same quality as the other format.

Plus I didnt have to wait for the BD Java pip thing to finally come around it was already a set feature that wwas supported from the start for HD DVD.

And lets not forget that while Wile E has a point isn that the combo HD DVD's may be pointless to him but it helped me to realize that hey I can just say that I can watch it on more than one TV in my house. I can watch it on the one HDTV in our house (yes we finally got an HDTV) and if I want to watch it in our guest room on our Standard Def tv I vcan as well I wont have to buy the standard def DVD seperatley. Because remember most people have only one maybe two HDTVs in their house or none at all.
Yeah, most houses only have one or two HDTV's so that Dual-Format of HD-DVD on one side and DVD on the other might help. But again, those are much more expensive. Luckily, I have an HDTV on all rooms so I'm good!
Posted on Reply
#6
spacejunky
Azn Tr14dZ said:
And also, I really want to get an HD-DVD player, but the only 2 titles that I want are the Bourne Collection and Transformers, besides that the rest of the titles that I want are on Blu-Ray.
You don't want the Matrix??
What are you a Commie?:rockout:
Posted on Reply
#7
Xaser04
kieran_fletch said:


Just saying that not everyone wants a ps3 or a console so just saying that blu ray will win is a sony fanyboy idea.
Can you put this in english please.
Posted on Reply
#8
Ravenas
effmaster said:
No you misunderstood me Ravenas

Microsoft may be disliked by many a person here but you still cannot doubt their influence in the world of technology. That had a large influence in my decision but it wasnt the only reason I support HD DVD.

I researched the two formats and realized that hey HD DVD is cheaper and I can get HD alot cheaper with the same quality as the other format.

Plus I didnt have to wait for the BD Java pip thing to finally come around it was already a set feature that wwas supported from the start for HD DVD.

And lets not forget that while Wile E has a point isn that the combo HD DVD's may be pointless to him but it helped me to realize that hey I can just say that I can watch it on more than one TV in my house. I can watch it on the one HDTV in our house (yes we finally got an HDTV) and if I want to watch it in our guest room on our Standard Def tv I vcan as well I wont have to buy the standard def DVD seperatley. Because remember most people have only one maybe two HDTVs in their house or none at all.
No I didn't misunderstand you at all. It's what you said and I quoted it. What you should of said is, "I like HD-DVD players because they are cheaper and get me pretty much the same thing as a Bluray player." That's what I think you are trying to say. But I still think you support HD-DVD players just because MS does. :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#9
effmaster
Ravenas said:
No I didn't misunderstand you at all. It's what you said and I quoted it. What you should of said is, "I like HD-DVD players because they are cheaper and get me pretty much the same thing as a Bluray player." That's what I think you are trying to say. But I still think you support HD-DVD players just because MS does. :laugh:
Even if I did support HD DVD just because Microsoft does then so what:slap:

And by the way thjeres no - in HD DVD
Posted on Reply
#10
psefer
so you say that i support hd-dvd players?
maybe you haven't been paying attention!
i told everyone that i owe both hd-dvd and blu-ray player and i have tried them both!
so this doesn't mean that i support microsoft!
but after testing them both i found out that the hd-dvd player has much better upscaling quality than the bluray player.also a friend of mine has both toshiba hd-dvd hd-e1 and sharp bluray player and he has the same opinion!
i think that the most important thing is not the cost of the player (since you pay it once!) but quality of reproduction and the cost of bying movies (which is much more important since you pay until the end of the technology)! also consider that most of us already have a collection of dvd's and until the high definition format becomes manistream , why shouldn't we been allowed to enjoy them as well?
Posted on Reply