Monday, June 30th 2008

Two R700s Churn-out X12515 in 3DMark Vantage

AMD, Austin have managed a benchmark score of X12515 in the 3DMark Vantage benchmark using two Radeon HD4870 X2 cards in CrossfireX, a feat that takes three GeForce GTX 280 cards in 3-way SLI to achieve. The R700 boards were clocked at 778 MHz core, while the GDDR5 memory was clocked at 980 MHz QDR (effectively 3.92 GHz). This brings the total on-board video bandwidth to a stellar 250.8 GBps.

With inputs from TG Daily
Add your own comment

157 Comments on Two R700s Churn-out X12515 in 3DMark Vantage

#1
H82LUZ73
mandelore said:
yeah i read that article and another similar, 15% gains over crossfired cards is NICE. and thats not even accounting for overclocking :)
yeah I like AMD/ATI alot still have one of ATI`s first x286 video cards(thing is like 10.5 inches long) with 4 meg memory.Anyways here is a funny story for you guys,About 2 weeks ago in STEAM I had the new ATI logo as my icon,And some Vidia fan made me change it,I told him he was going to regret buying the GTX280,So i`m laughing at him now...those cards are for guys who have more money then brains....
Posted on Reply
#2
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
H82LUZ73 said:
This is probably an ASUS Republic For Gamers card,Hence the Black PCB like they use on all the high end Mother Boards.
The one in that pic? No, that's the reference ATI cooler. Black PCB, black heatspreader on the memory on the other side of the PCB, black see-through cooler cover, copper-rich sinks over the GPU's a common plate over the memory, lane-arbiter chip, MOSFETs. The fan is the usual red. It's the same fan design (leaf-blower) used in the R600 and R680 by the looks.
Posted on Reply
#3
H82LUZ73
btarunr said:
The one in that pic? No, that's the reference ATI cooler. Black PCB, black heatspreader on the memory on the other side of the PCB, black see-through cooler cover, copper-rich sinks over the GPU's a common plate over the memory, lane-arbiter chip, MOSFETs. The fan is the usual red. It's the same fan design (leaf-blower) used in the R600 and R680 by the looks.
Wow so what color is ASUS going to use for the just announced ROG line? I do love black but won`t the all black theme attract heat?
Posted on Reply
#4
H82LUZ73
Megasty said:
Not likely, ROG cards are usually released mid-way through a series' lifespan after ASUS has some time to tweak them & add their own cooling. Plus this appears to be a prototype card no matter how you look at it.
So why is it being release Q3 ?
Posted on Reply
#5
lemonadesoda
Despite the naysaying from psefer, there are a couple of points that are true:

1./ The 280 is still better than the 4870. You need to x2 the 4870. But then a 280 SLI is still better.
2./ nVidia is therefore the performance winner, but with a very very big BUT
3./ ATI's price/performance ratio is very much better. For anyone on a budget, ATI wins.
4./ If nVidia can get prices down, it has a nice competitive product. The problem is that size of their die and the high failure rates.
5./ The economics are therefore in ATI's favour.
6./ But ATi is still hitting some odd bottlenecks. With 800 shaders >2x the R6xx and with 40 TMU >2x the R6xx, we are NOT seeing >2x performance in games or synthetics. YES, the R7xx is a fantastic performer, but NO, it isnt scaling as well as many of us predicted. There's a bottleneck there that needs to be fixed
7./ ATI has got a few architecture tweaks to fix. And drivers to enhance, esp. to make use of the currently unutilised tessellators
8./ R8xx will be tastey. But so will GTX380 on 55nm.
9./ If nVidia was BOLD they would stomp on their retail prices to keep GTX250/280 more competitive.
10./ Then we could FINALLY stop of this (anti-)fanboism.

If, if, if...

But NOW, ATI wins. :D
Posted on Reply
#6
mandelore
thing is, if you have a set budget, within that budget you are more than likely to get more performance from ATI at the moment within any price bracket
Posted on Reply
#7
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
H82LUZ73 said:
Wow so what color is ASUS going to use for the just announced ROG line? I do love black but won`t the all black theme attract heat?
"all-black" is what NV use for their premium products too. They've used it for the all-black lunch-box called 9800 GX2, it ran at acceptable temperatures. The R700 design is a little more airy, the "little hide, little show, black slip" kind :)

Of-course concerns eating people could be that the fan pushes air pre-heated by the second GPU onto the first one, unlike the 9800 GX2 having more uniformity with heat transfer, but this is made up for by maybe bigger heatsink over the 1st GPU?...like the R680 had. The heat-pipes distribute heat evenly between the sinks.

Posted on Reply
#8
Megasty
H82LUZ73 said:
So why is it being release Q3 ?
I mean mid-way through the release of the particular card. ASUS never release ROG cards when the reference design first comes out.
Posted on Reply
#9
MoA
haha its funny to see people argue lol

Some people don't admit 4870x2 is better by saying it's 2 core lol
Bi-turbo is better than turbo :P but its same price of even less :)
Number is not a reason, some ppl still prefer E8400 than Q6600 even though it's only 2 core lol.
All which matters is PERFORMANCE AND PRICE LOL !!!

Benchmarks do proves that there will be more fps.... what are they for otherwise LOL.
Of course the game engine depends too :P
Posted on Reply
#10
newconroer
tkpenalty said:
holy shit. There is still MUCH better value for performance in this case.... two HD4870X2s are cheaper than three GTX280s by a fair bit.

AMD really are on a roll. Considering only nvidia chipsets support CF, well..... Nvidia is going to go flying downhill
Because of a good Vantage score?

It's amazing what people base their speculations off of..SPECULATIONS none the less.

Sheesh.
Posted on Reply
#11
sam0t


^ Probably been posted before but it's such a hot card :o

edit:

There is a whole thread dedicated for these pics. Double :o
Posted on Reply
#12
Makaveli
btarunr said:
Look at it this way: 2x $500 equal 3x $650. ;)
Doesn't 1 4870 cost $300 so isn't that $300 x2 = $650 x3?
Posted on Reply
#13
mab1376
that cant be right i get that with my one 8800GTS (G80) with shown specs.

or is that run in Vista, that would explain it.
that resource hog of an OS....
Posted on Reply
#14
Megasty
Makaveli said:
Doesn't 1 4870 cost $300 so isn't that $300 x2 = $650 x3?
The 4870x2 should cost about $500 while the GTX280 costs $650. It takes 2 4870x2s to get a X12000 score while it takes 3 GTX280s to get the same. So $1000 = $1950 :wtf: :twitch:
Posted on Reply
#15
newconroer
Don't tell me we're now trying to go with 'price/performance' comparisons for multiple high end card CF/SLI setups, that serve no purpose except for synthetic benching....
Posted on Reply
#16
flashstar
newconroer said:
Don't tell me we're now trying to go with 'price/performance' comparisons for multiple high end card CF/SLI setups, that serve no purpose except for synthetic benching....
Have you used a R700 in games? no.

How could you make this assumption?
Posted on Reply
#17
H82LUZ73
btarunr said:
"all-black" is what NV use for their premium products too. They've used it for the all-black lunch-box called 9800 GX2, it ran at acceptable temperatures. The R700 design is a little more airy, the "little hide, little show, black slip" kind :)

Of-course concerns eating people could be that the fan pushes air pre-heated by the second GPU onto the first one, unlike the 9800 GX2 having more uniformity with heat transfer, but this is made up for by maybe bigger heatsink over the 1st GPU?...like the R680 had.


So it is AMD/ATI giving NV the bird then,Just one cool looking card,No not arguing with anyone just asking questions about why the black color.Last time I seen an ATI card that was not RED was the old RageII or Rage 128 (the one that was dual cored ) Was the old green PCB.
Posted on Reply
#18
H82LUZ73
newconroer said:
Because of a good Vantage score?

It's amazing what people base their speculations off of..SPECULATIONS none the less.

Sheesh.
So what was it that made you buy that 8800 then ?
Posted on Reply
#19
H82LUZ73
lemonadesoda said:
Despite the naysaying from psefer, there are a couple of points that are true:

1./ The 280 is still better than the 4870. You need to x2 the 4870. But then a 280 SLI is still better.
2./ nVidia is therefore the performance winner, but with a very very big BUT
3./ ATI's price/performance ratio is very much better. For anyone on a budget, ATI wins.
4./ If nVidia can get prices down, it has a nice competitive product. The problem is that size of their die and the high failure rates.
5./ The economics are therefore in ATI's favour.
6./ But ATi is still hitting some odd bottlenecks. With 800 shaders >2x the R6xx and with 40 TMU >2x the R6xx, we are NOT seeing >2x performance in games or synthetics. YES, the R7xx is a fantastic performer, but NO, it isnt scaling as well as many of us predicted. There's a bottleneck there that needs to be fixed
7./ ATI has got a few architecture tweaks to fix. And drivers to enhance, esp. to make use of the currently unutilised tessellators
8./ R8xx will be tastey. But so will GTX380 on 55nm.
9./ If nVidia was BOLD they would stomp on their retail prices to keep GTX250/280 more competitive.
10./ Then we could FINALLY stop of this (anti-)fanboism.

If, if, if...

But NOW, ATI wins. :D
Don`t forget ATI still using the same shaders core speeds,They will raise them in the next release.
Posted on Reply
#20
[I.R.A]_FBi
Now that ATi seems to be "kicking out teet'", to use local jamaican terms we've started to se a lot of irrational posts on TPU. My advice to corporate endorsers (aka fanbois), lighten up, do you have any stock in nvidia?
Posted on Reply
#21
chron
Now I have some questions... 1: How much? and 2: will a p5w dh deluxe be too much of a bottleneck for 2 4870x2's at 1680x1050?
Posted on Reply
#22
zOaib
PrudentPrincess said:
Nvidia hasn't come out with a dual processor card for this generation, so benchmarks like this mean jack shit.
yes also one with a 1000 dollars price tag too .............. yeah they havent come out with one yet , but soon, nvidia never lets the crazies down.
Posted on Reply
#23
zOaib
psefer said:
All Of Keep Saying How Good The New Ati Cards Are But As Crossfire Is Concerned Two 4870 Crossfire Perfomance Sucks! And I Am Sure That This Is Fake And Even It's Real I Am No Way Convinced That The Performance Of 4870x2 In Crossfire Will Be Good In Games! All Dual Chip Cards Allways Suffer From Stuttering And Usual The 2nd Dual Card Causes The Stuttering. I Have Tried All Quad Sli Setups And Quad Crossfire Cards And Performance In Games Sucks!
I Don't Believe That Ati/amd Managed To Fix Their Drivers! We Just Have To Wait And See! Fan Speed Bug On 4870 & 4850 ? Ha Ha Ha Ha!
i hear your mom calling in the background ......... ;)
Posted on Reply
#24
WarEagleAU
Bird of Prey
Behold the King, the King of Kings! Bow down to the, bow down to the King! (Triple H's Music)

That is very awesome. But remember, 3 GTX 280s are single gpus. The x2 equals out to 4 total so.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment