Monday, June 30th 2008

Two R700s Churn-out X12515 in 3DMark Vantage

AMD, Austin have managed a benchmark score of X12515 in the 3DMark Vantage benchmark using two Radeon HD4870 X2 cards in CrossfireX, a feat that takes three GeForce GTX 280 cards in 3-way SLI to achieve. The R700 boards were clocked at 778 MHz core, while the GDDR5 memory was clocked at 980 MHz QDR (effectively 3.92 GHz). This brings the total on-board video bandwidth to a stellar 250.8 GBps.

With inputs from TG Daily

157 Comments on Two R700s Churn-out X12515 in 3DMark Vantage

farlex85
WarEagleAU said:
Well my main point is it took two gpus to top a one gpu gt2XX :D

But all valid points.
That might be intentional too. Ati may also have been able to create a huge monolithic gpu, but they realized the costs of doing something like that are just too high. Instead they maximized space and cost to top the monolithic at a lower price. They've said this will be the last one nvidia makes like that, and I wouldn't doubt it the way things are now. It's not necessarily a matter of nvidia making a better gpu, it seems more a matter of business strategy, one that ati went the right way on.
Chicken Patty
WCG Moderator
farlex85 said:
x2
Megasty
farlex85 said:
They already learned from that mistake. For its time the 2900XT 1gb beast managed to keep up with the 8800GTX up until you included games that relied on heavy physics. The 2900's flaw was that the silly simple shaders couldn't do physics properly. The GTX had twice as many shaders as the XT. The reason why the 3870 beats that beast is because it has a faster GPU. The shader arch. of the 2 cards was basically the same. Even so, the XT was $200 cheaper than the GTX.

If ATi could re-work the 2900 power-sucking GPU while making it less costly & more powerful then all the more power to them for that. It was a long thought out process that's finally showing fruit with the 4870 monster. The 4870 is more 3X faster than the 2900XT in physics-related games - & it still the same arch. The only thing is that the 3870x2 experiment worked so well that the 2 GPU cards will become the best PP cards ever. Why should they go back to the monster GPU debacle while NV just hit the wall with one...
flclisgreat
so any idea on release dat yet? or power consumption? wondering if my 720w enermax will be enough for 2 x2's or a x2+a 4870
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
flclisgreat said:
not even close lol a pair of 4870s pulls 500w all by itself so your looking at a peak of 750w with 3 cards running well probably close to 700w with the X2 card in
psefer
For Those Of You Say About Ati 4870x2 Crossifre Here Is My Score! AND I HAVE TO SAY THAT I AM ON AIR COOLING! TRY TO BEAT THIS ATI!
erocker
Senior Moderator
You are using PhysX. With physX support for an ATi card don't you think the score would be higher? What if there was an Ageia card installed? Nice score though!:toast:
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
psefer said:
That CPU score of "~45000" shows where you got that score from :rolleyes: Nice bench.

Altough it's FUD now, odds are pointing towards the fact that this ATI bench was run on a Phenom based machine, and that's a 45nm Phenom at that.
DaMulta
My stars went supernova
psefer said:
what is your system? I can't read minds:D
psefer
My System Is :
Quad Core Qx9650 @ 4ghz (400x10) (stock Air Cooling!)
4gb Ddr3 Super Talent 1800mhz 9-9-9-24-2t
Evga Nforce 790ultra
4 X Hdd Raptor 150gb Raid 0
3 X Asus Gtx 280 @ Core:670 Shader:1460 Mem :2376
Creative X-fi Fatality Titanium Pcx
Power Supply Thermaltake 1500w Toughpower
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
psefer said:
My System Is :
Quad Core Qx9650 @ 4ghz (400x10) (stock Air Cooling!)
4gb Ddr3 Super Talent 1800mhz 9-9-9-24-2t
Evga Nforce 790ultra
4 X Hdd Raptor 150gb Raid 0
3 X Asus Gtx 280 @ Core:670 Shader:1460 Mem :2376
Creative X-fi Fatality Titanium Pcx
Power Supply Thermaltake 1500w Toughpower
How did you install 3x GTX 280 and a X-Fi Titanium together assuming you run the cards "on air" :confused:
tigger
I'm the only one
Its possible on air cooling titanium in slot above top gfx card.
imperialreign
btarunr said:

that would be impressive, IMO - such being the case, I'm sure the pair could score even higher on a Intel proc.
flclisgreat
cdawall said:
are you thinking gtx280 for power consumption? cause 250w per card is ridiculous
PrudentPrincess
erocker said:
That's why these bench results are completely useless.
farlex85
PrudentPrincess said:
That's why these bench results are completely useless.
They're not useless, you just have to take certain things into account. They can still be indicative of the power of the card.
kid41212003
Prices are meaningless when you compare top-line products.
Product A: 10000 points.
Product B: 9900 points.

Product A: I better than you, I have the crown and my price is x3 you. I don't give a ****!
Product B: There is nothing I can say.

Just look at the top-line Intel CPU.

Top-line product is just for show.
When NVIDIA top-line card is holding the crown, it gives people a good impression to buy their lower-line products.

AMD: They can't hold the crown, but they can still sell alot products. Why? Because AMD is aiming for casual gamers, who doesn't have much money.
NVIDIA: Brute forces. No comments.
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
farlex85 said:
Id primarily use them for stability purpose of overclock within windows, as usually most crashes occur in windows.
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
flclisgreat said:
sorry rereading the graphs it system totals lol :nutkick:
psefer
All of you are talking about price perfomance ratio!
Amd cpu's has always been cheaper than intel! why do you buy intel chips which cost more?
you want the performance right?
also about 4870x2:
1) a few day ago we heard that 4870x2 score 5500 at extreme! that 12200 in crosfire seams unrealistic? what than means over 100% increase with the second card? this is stupid!
also check out the reviews in 4870 crossfire (2x4870). the addition of the second card almost sucks! you expect me to beleive that 4 chips will work effieciently? you must be kidding!
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
kid41212003 said:
Prices are meaningless when you compare top-line products.
Product A: 10000 points.
Product B: 9900 points.

Product B: There is nothing I can say.

Just look at the top-line Intel CPU.

Top-line product is just for show.

NVIDIA: Brute forces. No comments.
If you're saving $950, it's more than meaningful.
InnocentCriminal
Resident Grammar Amender
psefer said:
All of you are talking about price perfomance ratio!
you want the performance right?
That used to be true, but Intel changed that with the release of the Core 2 line.
kid41212003
btarunr said:
If you're saving $950, it's more than meaningful.
Like i said, it just for show, people like me or you, probably won't buy those. Only who look for best performence and doesn't care about the prices.
And AGAIN, those top-line are for SHOWS, those products are not main-lines.

EDIT: Do you think people that's going to buy 3, yes THREE GTX 280, at 600USD each, do you think those people care about how much it costs?
Same with with two 4870X2.
Wile E
Power User
psefer said:
All of you are talking about price perfomance ratio!
you want the performance right?
also about 4870x2:
AMD cpus aren't cheaper for the same performance levels anymore. Intel becomes an even better deal when you overclock. in short, Intel DOES have the better price/performance ratio in most cases.