Thursday, September 4th 2008

Google Chrome Claims 1% Market-Share in Just 9 Hours

On September the 3rd, Google released a beta version of its upcoming Chrome web-browser software. The beta was released at 3:02 PM EDT and it captured 0.5% of the browser market share in just 2 hours of release. What's more, by the end of 9 hours since launch, the browser had already captured 1% of the market. Net Applications found that value to fluctuate but the browser currently is looking above the 1% mark. Data was collected studying the browser's ID:
Official Build 1583
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/0.2.149.27 Safari/525.13
The numbers are mind-boggling. Considering there are about 1.46 Billion internet users, 1% should take at least 14 million users to keep that value. In other terms, the number of times Chrome beta may have been downloaded looks threatening to Mozilla. It wouldn't be too far sighted to think Google Chrome could challenge Mozilla's world record when (or if) a stable release does come out (G-Mail is still beta). The browser has received a largely positive response albeit issues concerning its privacy policy, where irregularities were noted. All in all, Google did manage to make heads turn.Source: TG Daily

136 Comments on Google Chrome Claims 1% Market-Share in Just 9 Hours

mab1376
i'm using it right now, really a phenomenal lightweight browser, i use it on all my laptops since it loads up so quick!! :)
Scrizz
This POS didn't even install

mlupple
Meh, it's not even very cool of a browser. You're not missing much.
PP Mguire
Omg ok i lold and the PIN part. Seriously, who would send that important information over an unsecured mail client? I think id rather take my chances telling it over the phone or texting it rofl.
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
PP Mguire said:
Point is, email is meant to be a private conversation between two people / person-server. I should be able to safely email something crucial, just as I may use the phone. With Yahoo Mail, I can, did. The classic mail is not a beta. Google keeps vomiting ads onto you and those ads are generated based on the content of your mail Google reads your mail. You can't question Google because they've kept Gmail beta since it launched. Like DTB said, they're hiding behind betas.
caleb
You act like using google products is a MUST.
Use your Yahoo mail/search and quit whining about Gmail being beta or some tick boxes during install.

Its money making machine and you should be HAPPY with google producs as they dont FORCE you to install the crappy stuff.

Personally Im going back to IE now because Firefox became a RAM eater and it doesnt work so good as it used to.
Sometimes it even forgets to refresh content when you press F5 and loads your page from before editing CSS for example.

I use firefox for a long time and I believe I started with 256MB ram and I cant imagine Firefox would eat 500mb of ram back then but it does now.
Imho firefox is gonna be eaten by some new lightweight products for now its back to MSIE as I want my memory back.
mab1376
Jeno said:
i love it *set to default* :toast:
Its great for low powered machines, since Firefox has no many memory leaks, Firefox is still my favorite.

My girlfriend's dell 600m runs it no problem whereas firefox takes 15-30sec to open Chrome takes 2-3sec, even if the browser absolutely sucked i'd use soley that on her machine for that reasone alone.
WhiteLotus
Btarunr - I have never had these "email generated adds" - is this because of Ad-block?
caleb
Use HTML not AJAX version and you wont have adds.
Google isnt stupid they used ajax to 'quietly' ask user if they want more objects from the server after its been HTML'y generated.

Im almost sure adblocker cant filter AJAX object content as it thinks page is already loaded.
Ajax/js needs more security for a normal user.
mab1376
does the Firefox noscript plug in detect AJAX?
Viscarious
Ooo, Im not sure what Im doing right but the only add I have is this:

woot
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
caleb said:
Ajax/js needs more security for a normal user.
Orly? AdBlock does block the graphic ad frame (on the right hand side) that comes on the new Yahoo AJAX interface? I guess it's not to do with the fact that it's AJAX, but the filtersets in use.
mdm-adph
btarunr said:
IE7: http://img.techpowerup.org/080905/.jpg
Fx3 + AdBlock Plus + Filterset up-to-date: http://img.techpowerup.org/080905/526.jpg

Note how the ads are in sync with the content of the email (in this case, a Shelfari newsletter).
Ever tried using NoScript? I started using it instead of Adblock a while ago, and I've never even loaded up Adblock since then. I've found that blocking entire domains that the ads are coming from (and the javascript that runs from those domains) to be far more effective than trying to filter out images and page objects (it runs a LOT faster than Adblock, too).
caleb
Goodie now show me how it blocks gmail ads automaticly.
Viscarious
Im trying to setup Mozilla Thunderbird for email but Im so lost when it comes to setting up pop servers and all that. Anyone willing to help me out or give me a helpful link?

Also, can I use the server that gmail uses and direct it to thunderbird?
mdm-adph
caleb said:
Goodie now show me how it blocks gmail ads automaticly.
There's gotta be a way, because I'm not seeing any ads at all anywhere on my Gmail account.
PP Mguire
Point is you can never really have a private conversation anymore if your living in the US since everything is basicaly monitord. And since things are so much easily hacked on the internet id rather give somebody my pin through a phone than an email. But id never be giving my pin to anybody else anyways :p And, ive never had adds in Gmail.
Wile E
Power User
I see those adds. They have absolutely nothing in common with the content of my mail box. I don't see any evidence of them reading my mail.
Wshlist
Wile E said:
I don't see any evidence of them reading my mail.
Apart from the EULA you clicked Yes on of course.. dumbass, sorry but come on.
GMail is scanned for ad purposes by computers as google states, they don't have people read it though it's just collecting a profile of interest for ad delivery.

And while I'm commenting I'd like to point out to the rest that email isn't secure in ANY system/provider/browser, it's travelling through several servers and is totally unencrypted, if you want privacy encrypt it.

I wish companies finally got enough sense to reach half-wittedness so they realised it too and stopped sending tons of stuff you entered on an encrypted site in a confirmation email which is as public as anything and no more secure than a postcard, that kind of stupidity just pisses me off.
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
WhiteLotus said:
oh them, i NEVER pay attention to them
You don't. Point is, Google pays attention to your email :)
WhiteLotus
btarunr said:
You don't. Point is, Google pays attention to your email :)
hmmm i guess, still i'm not that worried. It's just an automatic key word search that produces the adds. if there is literally a guy paid to sit there and read all my mail then i massively LOL at google.