Tuesday, May 26th 2009

AMD to Unleash R800, RV870, RV840 and RV810 Within 2009

Graphics major AMD is set to unleash a near-complete lineup of DirectX 11 compliant 40 nm GPUs within 2009. The lineup begins with the entry-level RV810, all the way up to R800 (a supposedly dual-RV870 accelerator). Along the way are two of AMD's key GPUs at the start of its DirectX 11 conquest: the high-performance RV870, and mainstream-performance RV840. The two succeed RV770/RV790 and RV740 respectively. A full-range lineup also means that apart from the RV740, the company will be sourcing three more GPUs from its foundry partners.

Preliminary specifications of the RV870 point at it to have 1200 stream processors, and 143 GB/s of memory bandwidth. The GPU may feature in the Radeon HD 5800 series, and in a pair as R800, possibly Radeon HD 5870 X2. No specifications of the RV840 or RV810 GPUs surfaced from the sources.Sources: Hardware-Infos, Expreview
Add your own comment

115 Comments on AMD to Unleash R800, RV870, RV840 and RV810 Within 2009

#1
DrPepper
The Doctor is in the house
PlanetCyborg said:
Dx 11 is like Dx 10.2 nothing more,nothing less;) If you dont belive Google it!
It's not like dx10.2 becuase that doesn't really exist asfaik.
Posted on Reply
#2
zOaib
Imsochobo said:

nvidia goes for the crown, ati goes for the crowd!
i have quoted it =)
Posted on Reply
#3
Hayder_Master
yeah , the red dragon is come and burn out the lizards
Posted on Reply
#4
Kitkat
i cant wait lets do it!!!!!
Posted on Reply
#5
1Kurgan1
The Knife in your Back
Really interesting how the 5870x2 actually has more power per GPU than the 5870... Maybe they should call it the 5875 or 5880?

TheMailMan78 said:
Now if we can only get a game to run DX10.1 from the ground up before we "jump" to DX11.
Tell Nvidia to stop throwing their cash around, Assassins Creed ran 10.1, but as soon as Nvidia heard that they put an end to it as they had invest in that sa game for their cards. God really getting annoying watching MS and Nvidia tossing money around to label games as theirs.
Posted on Reply
#6
MTnumb
1Kurgan1 said:
Really interesting how the 5870x2 actually has more power per GPU than the 5870... Maybe they should call it the 5875 or 5880?



Tell Nvidia to stop throwing their cash around, Assassins Creed ran 10.1, but as soon as Nvidia heard that they put an end to it as they had invest in that sa game for their cards. God really getting annoying watching MS and Nvidia tossing money around to label games as theirs.
i think its the effect of the extra 50MHZ you see there.
Posted on Reply
#7
lemonadesoda
W1zzard said:

huh? why? what do you need more rops for?
Of course, it depends on what the constraining factor is... and that will depend on each application, or indeed, what is "common" amongst most game engines and their users setups.

However, we saw before that the statement about ROP constraint is evidenced by game benchmarks.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=76280

I just checked this old thread and the data/pictures arent showing :-(
Posted on Reply
#8
DrPepper
The Doctor is in the house
lemonadesoda said:
Of course, it depends on what the constraining factor is... and that will depend on each application, or indeed, what is "common" amongst most game engines and their users setups.

However, we saw before that the statement about ROP constraint is evidenced by game benchmarks.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=76280

I just checked this old thread and the data/pictures arent showing :-(
Can't see them either. What exactly do ROPs do anyway and why isn't more always better ?
Posted on Reply
#9
Kitkat
TheMailMan78 said:
Well DX11 will not fail. I just want to see a game utilize the current technology before jumping to 11.
from what i read its not its much more easier to run and dev for. maybe it really is just the perfect version of 10. Its not a huge jump its just smarter.

PlanetCyborg said:
Dx 11 is like Dx 10.2 nothing more,nothing less;) If you dont belive Google it!
yep.
Posted on Reply
#10
PlanetCyborg
DrPepper said:
It's not like dx10.2 becuase that doesn't really exist asfaik.
you miss understand me:rolleyes: DX10.1 cards are 85% compilable with dx11!
Posted on Reply
#11
DrPepper
The Doctor is in the house
PlanetCyborg said:
you miss understand me:rolleyes: DX10.1 cards are 85% compilable with dx11!
I guessed that's what you meant but DX11 brings some big things to the table plus it dissassociates itself with dx10 which is considered a failure to some.
Posted on Reply
#12
PlanetCyborg
DrPepper said:
I guessed that's what you meant but DX11 brings some big things to the table plus it dissassociates itself with dx10 which is considered a failure to some.
Dx10.1!!!!dx10 is abouth 60% compilable because nvidia didnt but the big parts on it!because it would have made the die even bigger then it is now(GT200) Dx 11 will be here to FIX that and add couple of new features on it:) Dx 10 would not have been a fail if both ati and nvidia have gone with the desine what MS offered them!
Posted on Reply
#13
erocker
So any DX 11 games being released anytime soon? Didn't think so... More powerful cards = cool. DX 11 = Don't care...
Posted on Reply
#14
PlanetCyborg
erocker said:
So any DX 11 games being released anytime soon? Didn't think so... More powerful cards = cool. DX 11 = Don't care...
2010 "Rage" is going do be awesome:rockout:
Posted on Reply
#15
erocker
By then, most likely there will be more powerful "DX 11" cards on the market.
Posted on Reply
#16
PlanetCyborg
erocker said:
By then, most likely there will be more powerful "DX 11" cards on the market.
your point being?
Posted on Reply
#17
erocker
No point, I just don't get the hype with new DX hardware. Remember DX 10? Remember people rushing out to buy DX 10 hardware when it took a long time to actually come out with a DX10 game? I just hope DX 11 fares better than 10 did is all.
Posted on Reply
#18
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder
PlanetCyborg said:
you miss understand me:rolleyes: DX10.1 cards are 85% compilable with dx11!
No they aren't, people seem to think this because ATi's cards have a hardware tessellation unit. The problem is that the current hardware tessellation unit on ATi's cards(it has nothing to do with DX10.1 by the way) is not compatibile with DX11. And while the current tessellation unit on ATi's cards are capable of some (not 85%) of the capabilities DX11 requires, it isn't capable of anywhere near all. So no DX11 for current ATi cards.
Posted on Reply
#19
erocker
Thanks for the info newteckie! Now I just hope game developers make strictly DX11 games, instead of beating around the bush to make everyone happy with older hardware. In terms of graphics, not much has changed in the past couple years.
Posted on Reply
#20
zithe
El_Mayo said:
what's so great about DX11 anyway?
most games won't even support it for a while.
Still better performance in games already out. :P
Posted on Reply
#21
1Kurgan1
The Knife in your Back
MTnumb said:
i think its the effect of the extra 50MHZ you see there.
I could see that being the case for the Texture Fillrate. 80 more Gflop a card, and the difference in Pixel fill rate and especially Memory Bandwidth is massive for just a 50mhz difference.
Posted on Reply
#22
PEPE3D
How would my two Diamond 4870X2 XOC in CF wuold compare to two of the same with the RV870 GPU. Just cerious, as of now I play anygamen I want to maxed out. No problems.
Posted on Reply
#23
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder
erocker said:
Thanks for the info newteckie! Now I just hope game developers make strictly DX11 games, instead of beating around the bush to make everyone happy with older hardware. In terms of graphics, not much has changed in the past couple years.
I hope for the same thing, but I know it won't be true. At the very least I would like to see games built on DX11 first, and then adapted to DX10/9, instead of the way it is done now with games built on DX9 with DX10 features added in as an afterthought.
Posted on Reply
#24
WarEagleAU
Bird of Prey
Very very nice. It is getting harder to keep up with the latest in GPU tech. I love my 4870, passed on the 4890 but may have to snag a 5800 series.
Posted on Reply
#25
locoty
yeah me too

my 4850 is getting old

i hope the price lower than 4850 at launch
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment