• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Announces VISION Technology, Consumers Gain Clarity in the PC Buying Experience

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD today announced a new way to help consumers select the PC that best meets their needs. Working with retailers and PC manufactures, VISION Technology from AMD breaks the model in how PC benefits are communicated. Rather than the traditional model, which focuses on the technical specifications of individual hardware components, VISION communicates the value of the whole system and demonstrates the combined processing power of both the CPU and GPU to deliver a superior visual experience to mainstream PC users. It emphasizes how an AMD-based PC is optimized for video, digital media and content creation activities. VISION guides the industry past the era of CPU-centric marketing and describes the PC capabilities in terms of what can be enjoyed on the system - see, share, create. This helps consumers to make better informed buying decisions.

"Today's consumer cares about what they can do with their PC, not what's inside," said Nigel Dessau, CMO of AMD. "They want a rich HD and entertainment experience on their PC, delivered by the combined technology of AMD CPUs and GPUs, without having to understand what gigahertz and gigabytes mean. VISION technology from AMD reflects the maturation of marketing in the PC processing industry and communicates the technology in a more meaningful way."

Notebook PCs with VISION Technology from AMD are expected to be widely available on retail shelves and online during the holiday buying season timed to the release of the Windows 7 operating system from Microsoft. Complementing VISION, Windows 7 supports DirectX 10, Direct X10.1, and Direct X11 for richer 3D detail on games and other media apps, and a Unified Video Decoder to free up the CPU so that users can have a superior visual and more responsive computing experience while converting video for use on hand held devices. This last activity is greatly simplified and much more rapid with the new Drag and Drop feature of Windows 7.

"We are excited for the upcoming launch of Windows 7, when our OEM partners will introduce some exciting new PCs that match our mutual customer's needs and feedback," said Mike Ybarra, general manager of Windows Product Management at Microsoft Corp. "Coupled with VISION Technology from AMD, customers can feel confident that the PC they purchase will deliver a rich, tailored PC experience."

AMD's 2009 notebook platforms, also announced today, serve as the first proof points for VISION Technology. Mainstream OEM notebooks offered with VISION have next-generation HD graphics technology for rich, vivid HD and Blu-ray video playback, life-like 3D games, brilliant, clear photos, and multi-tasking power for editing photos, music and videos.

For consumers seeking rich PC experiences in a very thin and stylish notebook, innovative ultrathin OEM notebooks with VISION are designed to deliver highly responsive, balanced performance and a superior visual experience at accessible price points. VISION technology contains three levels of increasingly rich PC system capabilities: VISION Basic, VISION Premium, and VISION Ultimate to reflect the different usage patterns of PC consumers: from digital consumption to content creation.

These notebook platforms bring visually-rich experiences to consumers through features such as:
  • UP to one billion colors for crystal-clear photos and videos,
  • DirectX 10.1 for smooth, lifelike games,
  • 7.1 audio for pulse-pounding music; and
  • Blu-ray support for the latest movies.
"We focus our attention on R&D and marketing communications to users that identify themselves with state-of-the-art and innovative products that can simplify life through technology," said Gianpiero Morbello, Marketing and Branding Corporate Vice President of Acer, Inc. "VISION Technology from AMD represents an innovative PC usage and we are always ready to offer a superior visual experience to our customers for advanced HD video entertainment."

In the first quarter of 2010, AMD plans to introduce a fourth level, VISION Black, to enable the highest end capabilities sought by enthusiasts, primarily on desktop PCs. Descriptions of the types of activities available at each level will be available in-store and online, so that buyers can align their needs and make the right choice for their preferred experience.

Completing the VISION Technology from AMD announcement, AMD launches the new Fusion Media Explorer software utility and the Fusion Utility for Mobility. Fusion Media Explorer showcases VISION Technology from AMD with:
  • A 3D interface for managing your media,
  • Shortcuts for uploading and sharing photos on Facebook and Flickr,
  • An Auto DJ for queuing up music files, and much more.

Fusion Utility for Mobility is a software utility that turns off background processes to enable longer battery life while on the go.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II
Memory 32GB Corsair @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 5700XT
Storage Samsung NVMe 960 EVO
Display(s) 27" 2560x1440
Case Thermaltake Core P5
I have seen this kind of idea before, it never works...

System Name VAN
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz LGA 775 95W @ 3.0GHz
Motherboard ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard
Cooling Thermaltake SpinQ VT, front-rear-side 120mm, top-bottom 80mm
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8GB(4x2GB), DDR2, 800 MHz, 4-4-4-12, 2.0V, w/ Red LEDs
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon HD 6770 1GB
Storage Samsung 850 PRO 256SSD (OS) - WD 640GB 7200 RPM (files) - Seagate 1TB 7200 (backup)
Display(s) DUAL 19" Samsung, LG LCDs
Case NZXT Lexa Blackline
Audio Device(s) Realtek Onboard
Power Supply OCZ 600 Stealth-X-Stream 600W RT
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 9
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Ultimate
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
yeah I agree but AMD might get it right this time it seems like they have a solid plan

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II
Memory 32GB Corsair @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 5700XT
Storage Samsung NVMe 960 EVO
Display(s) 27" 2560x1440
Case Thermaltake Core P5
well it will be better than the vista rating system that's for sure.

System Name Blue Monolith (working on name)
Processor AMD Phenom II 1090T... on H2O
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7
Cooling EK-Supreme with 2 radiators for the moment ~ 22 celsius
Memory Kingston HyperX 2x2GB DDR3 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 KHX1600C8D3K2
Video Card(s) hd 6870 Sapphire 1GB
Storage 8x 500GB Seagate Barracuda on LSI controller
Display(s) Samsung 206BW
Case Aplus Black Pearl WCR with water cooling mounts :)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Platinum Fatal1ty Champion
Power Supply Gigabyte ODIN GT-800 (that with software)
Benchmark Scores WORKING IN PROGRESS P10464 in VANTAGE(this is the old score)
“They want a rich HD and entertainment experience on their PC, delivered by the combined technology of AMD CPUs and GPUs, without having to understand what gigahertz and gigabytes mean.

if you sell pc to the monkeys.... it's ok :) but how many monkeys are in US? (milions...)

System Name Roxy
Processor i7 5930K @ 4.5GHz (167x27 1.35V)
Motherboard X99-A/USB3.1
Cooling Barrow Infinity Mirror, EK 45x420mm, EK X-Res w 10W DDC
Memory 2x16GB Patriot Viper 3600 @3333 16-20-20-38
Video Card(s) XFX 5700 XT Thicc III Ultra
Storage Sabrent Rocket 2TB, 4TB WD Mechanical
Display(s) Acer XZ321Q (144Mhz Freesync Curved 32" 1080p)
Case Modded Cosmos-S Red, Tempered Glass Window, Full Frontal Mesh, Black interior
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM 850x White
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire TK
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/e5uz5f
This is not the press release I was hoping for from AMD today. Where the info on the 5870?

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
“They want a rich HD and entertainment experience on their PC, delivered by the combined technology of AMD CPUs and GPUs, without having to understand what gigahertz and gigabytes mean.

if you sell pc to the monkeys.... it's ok :) but how many monkeys are in US? (milions...)
Marketing shit is exactly what AMD needs since day one. :toast:

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro
Cooling AiO 240mm
Memory 2x 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Radeon RX 6900XT Reference (amd.com)
Storage O.S.: 256GB SATA | 2x 1TB SanDisk SSD SATA Data | Games: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeMusic + Gigaworks SB750 7.1 THX
Power Supply XFX 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 10 64bit
If this is meant to stop retailers from selling "Gaming" PCs with HD4350s and 8500GTs, I'm okay with it.

System Name VAN
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8GB(4x2GB), DDR2, 800 MHz, 4-4-4-12, 2.0V, w/ Red LEDs
Storage Samsung 850 PRO 256SSD (OS) - WD 640GB 7200 RPM (files) - Seagate 1TB 7200 (backup)
Case NZXT Lexa Blackline
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 9
yeah true that, this will solve a lot of false marketing problems, correct?

naram-sin

System Name Valkyrie II
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Motherboard Asus M5A97 PRO
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
Memory 2 * 4GB CMX8GX3M2A2000C9
Video Card(s) nVidia GTX460 768 MB
Storage 1*WD1500HLFS + 1*WD10EARS + 2*WD20EARS RAID1
Display(s) Xerox 24"
Case Cooler Master HAF932
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC885 8ch
Power Supply Chieftex 650W modular
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I have seen this kind of idea before, it never works...

I don't think so. This could actually be more successful idea than Centrino. Like, Centrino in multimedia department. :) Especially if it's at least slightly backed up by MS.

yeah I agree but AMD might get it right this time it seems like they have a solid plan

My thoughts exactly.

well it will be better than the vista rating system that's for sure.

Again, agreed on this. MS hasn't had enough marketing involved in this part of Vista/7 OS.

Huh, but I think that, this will be particularly meaningful in areas of laptops and HTPC. Especially HTPC. I think that this area has been too much left out, left to enthusiast segment. What I mean is that HTPC solutions need to be introduced to mainstream (market) segment. And I think that this is actually a very good start for AMD. And for us all. :toast:

Agreed, as above. :)

If this is meant to stop retailers from selling "Gaming" PCs with HD4350s and 8500GTs, I'm okay with it.

Well, I think this is a right step in that general direction. :rolleyes:

Sorry to all for abusing this multipost thingy. :)

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
this is the type of rating scheme that the average consumer understands and needs. everyone knows what low, medium and high is. I also think this type of branding fits well with AMD's products

for years the CPU has been highly touted and Intel and AMD traded blows back and forth but there isnt really a need for that these days as there is a greater benefit from graphics. AMD has kickass graphics with sufficient CPU performance for everything from basic needs to gaming while Intel is still cranking out garbage IGPs. it seems AMD is finally figuring out how to market this advantage

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Cooling AiO 240mm
Storage O.S.: 256GB SATA | 2x 1TB SanDisk SSD SATA Data | Games: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Power Supply XFX 850W
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
In fact, I think this should be an initiative from the entire PC Gaming Alliance, and not from AMD alone.

Deceived gaming PC buyers is probably one of the biggest causes of console migration nowadays.

System Name Prometheus
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
Cooling EKWB EK-240 AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070Ti Ventus 3X OC 12GB
Storage WD Black SN850 1TB + 1 x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
Display(s) DELL U4320Q 4K + Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 4K
Case Jonsbo A4 ver1.1 SFF
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum SFX
Mouse Logitech Pro Wireless
Keyboard Vortex Race 3 75% MX Brown
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
They look like nVidia's "nvision" logos, only red. So it's more about branding and less about quality products these days. Not nice.

How is this suppose to make things easier? If I buy Ultimate will I get a 4650M, 4770M, 4850M or 4870M? Which one? How much VRAM do I get? What kind of VRAM do I get? is it integrated or discrete? Will it play Crysis? (had to include this last one for the alienated people)

It's not about making things easier for the customer it's all about improving their visibility in the market. Why bother making good products when you can copy branding ideas from the competition? Brilliant!

And people think lawyers are bad.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Cooling AiO 240mm
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Power Supply XFX 850W
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
How is this suppose to make things easier? If I buy Ultimate will I get a 4650M, 4770M, 4850M or 4870M? Which one? How much VRAM do I get? What kind of VRAM do I get? is it integrated or discrete? Will it play Crysis? (had to include this last one for the alienated people)

If you buy Ultimate I'm definitely sure you won't get a HD4550, wich is a major step up from what we have right now.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
They look like nVidia's "nvision" logos, only red. So it's more about branding and less about quality products these days. Not nice.

It's not about making things easier for the customer it's all about improving their visibility in the market. Why bother making good products when you can copy branding ideas from the competition? Brilliant!

And people think lawyers are bad.

as we used to say in the navy... you are nuking it. you are over analyzing something that is simple. I agree with you that they need to implement this properly by matching the proper hardware to its' respective logo

all of those questions you are asking arent what the average consumer wants to know or even think about- they just want it to work. the fact that you even ask questions like that are an indicator that you are far more familiar with technology so basically you wouldnt be using this branding but rather going over the specs sheet yourself

it is about improving their visibilty by simplifying their product branding

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700K
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-A12x25 PWM + 4xNF-A14 PWM
Memory 16 GB Adata XPG Dazzle DDR4 3000 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8G
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus, Samsung 850 Evo
Display(s) Samsung C24FG73 144Hz 1080p
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 3
Power Supply Superflower Leadex II Gold 650W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7
Software Windows 11 Pro
Man, I'm horrified about the way things go. MANY do care about what's inside the PC! I like to look at it, clean it, care for it and dream about the day it will become a virtual interface seamless integrated to me-self :p Computers are big stuff as they grow faster and (soon nano-level) smaller. We be afraid of the cloud that wanna eat us and people that wanna keep the information to themselves. We be wanting shared information!
PS: I hope I won't see the day when my computer is only a stupid interface to "The Big Cloud" and computer-science becomes like religion, some mystic stuff for the initiated.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX 1.1
Cooling Noctua NB-U12A
Memory 2x 32GB Fury DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 5700 XT Red Dragon
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade 2TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) 2x Dell U2412M
Case Phanteks P400A
Audio Device(s) Hifimediy Sabre 9018 USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (from 2012)
Software Windows 10?
this is like AMD Game! but for Laptops and Desktops i think ;)
and i dont think that specs sheet will go away anytime soon you can even check your self in the store lol

HolyCow02

System Name Shredder
Processor Phenom II 955 @stock (for the time being)
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70
Cooling Noctua U12P
Memory 8 GB muskin DDR3 1600 @ 7-7-6-18
Video Card(s) 2x Sapphire 4870 1GB
Storage 64 GB Super Talent UltraDrive SSD | 2 x WD Caviar Black 500GB in RAID1
Display(s) Samsung 22" 2ms GTG
Case Thermaltake Spedo Advanced Package
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Software Vista Business 64-bit
This doesn't help any of us out, but it sure helps out the computer illiterate. Smart idea for AMD.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX 1.1
Cooling Noctua NB-U12A
Memory 2x 32GB Fury DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 5700 XT Red Dragon
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade 2TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) 2x Dell U2412M
Case Phanteks P400A
Audio Device(s) Hifimediy Sabre 9018 USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (from 2012)
Software Windows 10?
AMD Vision Ultimate = best so tell your friends and family to get a laptop with it

System Name [Primary Workstation]
Processor Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield @ 3.8GHz/4.55GHz [24-7/Bench]
Motherboard EVGA X58 E758-A1 [Tweaked right!]
Cooling Cooler Master V8 [stock fan + two 133CFM ULTRA KAZE fans]
Memory 12GB [Kingston HyperX]
Video Card(s) constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer nVidia]
Storage constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer Hitachi/Samsung]
Display(s) Triple LCD [40 inch primary + 32 & 28 inch auxiliary displays]
Case Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 [Mesh Mod, CFM Overload]
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 + onboard Realtek ALC889A [Logitech Z-5300 Spk., Niko 650-HP 5.1 Hp., X-Bass Hp.]
Power Supply Corsair TX950W [aka Reactor]
Software This and that... [All software 100% legit and paid for, 0% pirated]
Benchmark Scores Ridiculously good scores!!!
As far as evil marketspeak goes this is not that bad. This seems pretty simple and discernible. Hopefully the hardware configurations themselves will reflect that.

Kitkat

lmao

i think the previous tags looked better. Other than that not much opinon since i dont "buy"

Baam

Processor AMD FX-8120@4.5Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Thermalright Venomous X Black
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
Video Card(s) ATI 5850 crossfire
Case COOLER MASTER HAF 912
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi
Power Supply Antec TPQ-850
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Exactly, Perhaps AMD would have gained way more market share when they where kicking intel in the nuts if they had done more marketing.:nutkick:

Processor Core i7 @ 3.5GHz stock voltage
Motherboard MSI Eclipse
Cooling Noctua NH-12P SE
Memory 6 GB 1066MHz
Video Card(s) 2x GTX260 @ 701/1506
Storage Raptor 74 GB
Display(s) NEC MultiSync 2080UX+
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software Win7
I can't help to notice AMD is coming up with a new badge, while Intel has a new processor. Long Live Marketing.:toast:

System Name Harley
Processor Intel core i7 3820
Motherboard ASRock Extreme6 X79
Cooling NZXT Kraken X60
Memory Geil Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600+ 16GB
Video Card(s) EVGA SuperClocked GTX Titan
Storage OCZ Vertex4 128GB SSD / Toshiba 7200 2TB HDD
Display(s) Crossover 30" 2560x1600
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB - Custom Modded
Audio Device(s) n/a
Power Supply CoolerMaster Silent Pro Hybrid 1300w
Software Win7 64
Wow AMD is pushing hard this year!
New dual, tripple, quads to 1st 40nm gpu's and evergreen looks promising.
Let's hope they keep this progress up in the coming years!

System Name VAN
Case NZXT Lexa Blackline
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 9
Wow AMD is pushing hard this year!
New dual, tripple, quads to 1st 40nm gpu's and evergreen looks promising.
Let's hope they keep this progress up in the coming years!

here here, maybee at this pace we'll have an 8 core by 2012 :p