• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Response to forum violations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
You can totally see how selling/trading can be taken as meaning FS/FT can't you? I don't have a problem with the rule, I just did not understand it.

Yes, but offering items for trade in a [WTB] thread isn't right either, so I'm not really understanding what you are saying. :confused:

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Yes, but offering items for trade in a [WTB] thread isn't right either, so I'm not really understanding what you are saying. :confused:

He just wants moderators to let the users know the first time what it is they did wrong to prevent it from happening a second time where they might suffer an even bigger offense.

Is this right

or

Is this wrong

?

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I do let people know. I don't know, perhaps a moderator saw the thread, shut it down and their kitchen caught on fire. If I was a member and my thread got deleted, the first thing I would do is look over the rules and perhaps PM a moderator for help. Again, and I hate using the term, but we aren't here to baby sit and hold people's hands through a process that 99% of other members get right.

Benetanegia

Rules are not really clear regarding those things. I'm not talking about trading something for something of the same value, etc. That's what FT threads are for. But let's say you want to buy a GTX480 for $500 and as an afterthought while you finished typing it, you have an idea and say "I might include a DDR2 stick and maybe pay $5 less if someone is interested." Would that mean you have to re-write a FT thread where you want to trade a $5 worth memory stick for a GTX480 and then say that you would pay $495 extra in the transaction? It doesn't make sense.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Rules are not really clear regarding those things. I'm not talking about trading something for something of the same value, etc. That's what FT threads are for. But let's say you want to buy a GTX480 for $500 and as an afterthought while you finished typing it, you have an idea and say "I might include a DDR2 stick and maybe pay $5 less if someone is interested." Would that mean you have to re-write a FT thread where you want to trade a $5 worth memory stick for a GTX480 and then say that you would pay $495 extra in the transaction? It doesn't make sense.

Then you would need to add a picture of the DDR2 stick with your name handwritten on a piece of paper. PM a moderator to change the thread title.

Benetanegia

Then you would need to add a picture of the DDR2 stick with your name handwritten on a piece of paper. PM a moderator to change the thread title.

So you would have to make it a FT thread? That's not even the purpose of the thread. You want to primarily buy an item. You are not posting the other item for trade. You would not trade that item for another one, only add it to the sum you will be paying for the item you want to buy.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Motherboard macbook prp retina
Cooling Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta (240mm x 120mm x 80mm)
Memory 16Gb
Video Card(s) Zotac Arctic Storm Nvidia 980ti
Display(s) 1x Acer XB270HU, 1x Catleap, 1x Oculus
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/770087
He just wants moderators to let the users know the first time what it is they did wrong to prevent it from happening a second time where they might suffer an even bigger offense.

Is this right

or

Is this wrong

?

Yeah that was it

I do let people know. I don't know, perhaps a moderator saw the thread, shut it down and their kitchen caught on fire. If I was a member and my thread got deleted, the first thing I would do is look over the rules and perhaps PM a moderator for help. Again, and I hate using the term, but we aren't here to baby sit and hold people's hands through a process that 99% of other members get right.

Yeah you did a good job and you put up with all my crap.

So you would have to make it a FT thread? That's not even the purpose of the thread. You want to primarily buy an item. You are not posting the other item for trade. You would not trade that item for another one, only add it to the sum you will be paying for the item you want to buy.

I think they should just clarify that you need photos for the WTB section as well if you have items you are willing to trade them for. Which is strange, but I don't have a problem doing it if thats what they want..

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
RAM is not money. RAM is an item. Items are traded. Traded items need pictures, that is the way the rules are defined.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It is very simple, if your thread was deleted, it violated the rules. So, it is completely idiotic to repost the same exact thread. Even if you don't know what rule it is violating, it is violating a rule, your ignorance of the rules does not mean you are allowed to violate them repeatedly.

Now, if you don't know or wasn't told why the thread was deleted, and you want to know, then ask. It is not that hard, this is especially true of the B/S/T section. If the thread was deleted, you can gurantee it was done by either erocker, mussels, or paulig, because those are the three moderators in charge of that section. So send a PM to all three and the one that deleted the thread will tell you why it was deleted. See, wasn't that simple? This applies to pretty much all sections. Every section is run by 1-5 different mods, so if a thread was deleted from a section, send a PM to all the mods in charge of that section, and the one that deleted the thread will respond. If you must, you can also include Polaris573 and DanTheBanjoman in the PM, as them being super-mods can also help you out.

Problem solved, move on, and don't be dramatic and idioticly bullheaded.

Benetanegia

I understand that a picture has to be posted anytime one of your items are going to change hands, I'm not argueing against that. But I do think it's easy for people to make the same mistake and if the user doesn't know what happened, that helps no one. I'm nor arguing against the deletion nor I'm arguing about the requirement to post a picture. It's just that a deleted post doesn't automatically mean "you broke a rule" for everybody, for anybody I'd say in fact. A server could have gone down, who knows.

If it was a FS thread that was deleted, it would be clear, but I don't think it's anything clear for a poster who wanted to buy something and made a WTB thread, to find out his thread is gone without any explanation, because he might not even remember he put that item there!!!

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
If any rule change should be made, IMO, it should be an instant 10 point infraction for violating the B/S/T rules that lasts 1 year, no exceptions. Then they know why their thread was deleted, and they get punished for being lazy and ignorant.

Seems that satisfies GSG-9's and everyone elses gripe, no?

Last edited:
System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
It is very simple, if your thread was deleted, it violated the rules. So, it is completely idiotic to repost the same exact thread. Even if you don't know what rule it is violating, it is violating a rule, your ignorance of the rules does not mean you are allowed to violate them repeatedly.

I did not post the exact same thread and it did not have the same title.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I understand that a picture has to be posted anytime one of your items are going to change hands, I'm not argueing against that. But I do think it's easy for people to make the same mistake and if the user doesn't know what happened, that helps no one. I'm nor arguing against the deletion nor I'm arguing about the requirement to post a picture. It's just that a deleted post doesn't automatically mean "you broke a rule" for everybody, for anybody I'd say in fact. A server could have gone down, who knows.

If it was a FS thread that was deleted, it would be clear, but I don't think it's anything clear for a poster who wanted to buy something and made a WTB thread, to find out his thread is gone without any explanation, because he might not even remember he put that item there!!!

I see where you're going and true enough. Fact of the matter is there was a lack of communication. Not by me though, I was a good boy.:eek: This lack of communication could go both ways but in the end, it is up to the member to know the rules. In this instance the member should of gotten a warning immediately since that is what the guidelines dictate. Now the moderator who initially closed the 1st thread was either being nice, or didn't have time to issue the warning and walk someone through the guidelines.

Also:

B/S/T Guidelines said:
Post a picture of the physical item you are selling/trading, along with your techPowerUp! forums account name handwritten (Not typed or printed!) on a piece of paper in the background. This is to validate that there is an item being sold and that you are the seller. -Have your pictures ready before you post your thread! No pics, don't post or your thread will be deleted.

It doesn't specify what type of thread, therefore it applies to all thread in that section.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I did not post the exact same thread and it did not have the same title.

According to you, it was deleted and you put it back up. Obviously it wasn't exactly the same, since I'm pretty sure you had to re-type it, but either way the thread was the same so putting it back up was idiotic.

The proper thing to do was PM the mods of the section and ask. They can actually view the deleted threads, and they should be noting why each one was deleted, which is visable to the other mods. So any one of the 3 mods for the section could have looked up why the thread was deleted for you. And believe it or not, the Mods are actually happy to help forum users.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
Problem solved, move on, and don't be dramatic and idioticly bullheaded.
Thanks for that, I appreciate it, observing my post so well.

You sir hit the nail on the head, I had been up for over 24 and could not figure out where my thread went that I had responses to.

According to you, it was deleted and you put it back up. Obviously it wasn't exactly the same, since I'm pretty sure you had to re-type it, but either way the thread was the same.
It was and is deleted, not a fact I was sure of until Erocker deleted my 2nd thread. My WTB threads are not what this thread was supposed to be about though, and you seem to want to steer away from that convo as much as I do so we can bring it back to FSFT rules which the mods sound like they are done explaining and think the rules are close enough so that seems like thats it.

Benetanegia

I see where you're going and true enough. Fact of the matter is there was a lack of communication. Not by me though, I was a good boy.:eek: This lack of communication could go both ways but in the end, it is up to the member to know the rules. In this instance the member should of gotten a warning immediately since that is what the guidelines dictate. Now the moderator who initially closed the 1st thread was either being nice, or didn't have time to issue the warning and walk someone through the guidelines.

So it's the policy to issue a warning when it's not clear and that one time was just a slip. Do you realise that is the first time something even close to that has been said? Every post until now said: we don't have to send anything, we don't have to waste our time... etc. Quite on the defensive if you ask me. If it is usual to send warnings, I think that's all the OP was asking for, it's the point I'm fighting for anyway. Now the problem has been solved, isn't it?

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
Now the problem has been solved, isn't it?

I think so, thats all I wanted to here was that thats what normally happens/were considering it etc. :toast:

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
So it's the policy to issue a warning when it's not clear and that one time was just a slip. Do you realise that is the first time something even close to that has been said? Every post until now said: we don't have to send anything, we don't have to waste our time... etc. Quite on the defensive if you ask me. If it is usual to send warnings, I think that's all the OP was asking for, it's the point I'm fighting for anyway. Now the problem has been solved, isn't it?

Indeed, and in the end the means are the same with the exception of two deleted threads instead of one. Anyways gentlemen, I gotta let the butt prints in my chair even out and go get some dinner. :toast:

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
just throwing it out there i had a thread deleted for the exaqct same reason in the exact same situation not to long ago i reposted it with the pics of my card and traded for what i wanted within 3 days.

post pics in the FS thread regardless of what you are doing problem solved. noone emailed me when mine was deleted i knew why it was deleted and i know when it was deleted no big deal.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
You sir hit the nail on the head, I had been up for over 24 and could not figure out where my thread went that I had responses to.

There are several ways to find a thread, so that is not an excuse. Your usercp being the easiest. I post in probably twice as many threads as you do each day, and have no problem finding my FS threads in my usercp. If you can't find it there, you can search the forums, using an advanced search I can find every thread I've created in any given section, including the B/S/T section. I can find any of my B/S/T threads up to 3 years old! If you can't find the thread, guess what...

It was and is deleted, not a fact I was sure of until Erocker deleted my 2nd thread. My WTB threads are not what this thread was supposed to be about though, and you seem to want to steer away from that convo as much as I do so we can bring it back to FSFT rules which the mods sound like they are done explaining and think the rules are close enough so that seems like thats it.

Yes, this thread is about other threads being deleted and why, and how this should be handled, and no matter how much you want to say otherwise, you handled it wrong and are now making a drama about it.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
i can see how this situation occured, i've noticed it a while back.

Rules state thread will be deleted if it doesnt meet requirements.
mods post in thread stating rules not met.
close thread.
after a few minutes, thread deleted.

but if the user was offline/afk at the time, when they come back all they get is emails to a dead link - they cant SEE The messages.

my initial method was to always give an infraction/warning but i got told i was being too heavy-handed, but at least that method always worked out in the end (users always realised they were breaking rules, and didnt do it again). I think i'm going to continue with infractions/warnings every time i lock or delete a thread in B/S/T now.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
i can see how this situation occured, i've noticed it a while back.

Rules state thread will be deleted if it doesnt meet requirements.
mods post in thread stating rules not met.
close thread.
after a few minutes, thread deleted.

but if the user was offline/afk at the time, when they come back all they get is emails to a dead link - they cant SEE The messages.

my initial method was to always give an infraction/warning but i got told i was being too heavy-handed, but at least that method always worked out in the end (users always realised they were breaking rules, and didnt do it again). I think i'm going to continue with infractions/warnings every time i lock or delete a thread in B/S/T now.

Exactly why I cannot find it. I don't have trouble finding my threads newteckie. It did not exist anymore. Link

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Exactly why I cannot find it. I don't have trouble finding my threads newteckie. It did not exist anymore. Link

Then you know what happened. Not sure what your problem is? Look at my several other posts explaining the proper thing to do in this situation.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

its a miracle you didnt get an infraction.

no pics with handwritten names.
no heatware.
one item has no picture at all.
all pictures must be ready before posting the thread (none of yours are 'ready')

technically thats four rules broken, with the added insult that you didnt bother to read the rules of that forum section at all (or you decided to ignore them completely)

Yes you are justified in asking where your thread went since you werent notified - but jesus, be glad you DIDNT get infracted over it.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Yes you are justified in asking where your thread went since you werent notified - but jesus, be glad you DIDNT get infracted over it.

Exactly! Ask what happened, don't just repost the thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.