• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do you think multi GPUs are worthy ?

Stevicus

System Name Uberizer
Processor Lynfield i7 860
Motherboard Gigabyte P55 UD4
Cooling Noctua P12 summat summat
Memory GSkill Ripjaw 2 x 2GB 2000mhz
Video Card(s) Gainward GTX 570 GS (GLH)
Storage Samsung 1 x 1TB F1 + 1 x 1TB F3
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 23`
Case CM Storm Sniper
Audio Device(s) Gigabyte on board
Power Supply Corsair TX 750w
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
A couple of questions id like answers to stemmed from a recent article i read and a discussion i had with someone else.

Firstly the article was concerned mainly about a failed project that should have been a crowning achievement but failed miserably because the planned objective
was impossible to achieve.
The project was to build the fastest multi card gaming system you could build if money was no object (a frequent fantacy of mine) and after trying sli & xfire they
came to the conclusion that poor performance in multi card set ups makes them not worth the excessive expence. The quad set up of dual 590z & dual 6990z
displayed unplayable min frame rates and micro stuttering at tri screen set up resolutions along with tons of heat & massive power usage. Two 580z were
tested and proved to be faster at min & ave fps but still suffered micro stuttering as did 2 x 6870z. The 590 & the 6990 also exhibited the same low min frames
& micro stuttering when at tripple frame res 5760x1080 and a single 6970 produced the same min frame rate as the 6990 proving multi GPU set ups are not
worth the trouble.

Could this really be true that multi card set ups have not been perfected ?

That the industry promote multi card set ups knowing they are inefficient and terrible value ?

What is your experience with these set ups ? My own amounts to 2 x 4890z that i gave up on because i was getting better game play with one. I always thought
my experience was a one off bit of bad luck but now im just wondering if it is all its cracked up to be.

My other question is : do you think the graphics industry has become cartel like with the drip feeding of technology & keeping cards purposely slower to keep
the upgrade path perpetually open and coupling that with restrictive software developement ?

What do you think ?

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Could this really be true that multi card set ups have not been perfected ?

That the industry promote multi card set ups knowing they are inefficient and terrible value ?

My other question is : do you think the graphics industry has become cartel like with the drip feeding of technology & keeping cards purposely slower to keep
the upgrade path perpetually open and coupling that with restrictive software developement ?

Multi card setups have come a long way, but they are still not perfected yet. Multi card setups are sometimes dependent on the game designers, if the game designers can't be bothered to optimise to support multicard setups it would appear that the multicard setup sucks. No, I don't think the graphics industry have become a cartel. They have innovated heavily, and while this is not apparent in the first glance, you can get a graphics card which run games at least mid level of quality in 1080p for less than $100, something which you will not be able to do a few years ago. And given that they are still in the bleeding edge of technology, drip feeding is inevitable. A good example would be Fermi. Tried to do a lot, but failed. 5xxx series was a lot more conservative, and was an outstanding success. I don't think they are keeping the cards purposely slower (at least they are not printing money judging by the financial reports), and upgrade path will be perpetually open because the GPU industry have not matured. Can you please elaborate on the restrictive software development bit? I do not quite understand, are you referring to DX11 or OpenCL?

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
personally multi gpu is a good news of graphic development.
i agree there long way to go. but i guess it would like processor development where 1st is single core to dual processor then multi core in 1 die
im not big fan of multi gpu (although it looks pretty cool)
i prefer single right now

System Name Bad Moon Ryzen
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4-F
Cooling Vetroo V5
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32Gb (8gb x 4) 3200 MHz DDR 4
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1Tb, Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb,WD Black 8Tb, WD Blue 2Tb
Display(s) Gigabyte G24F-2 (180Hz Freesync) & 4K Samsung TV
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact w/Dark Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply MSI MPG A850GF (850w)
VR HMD Rift S
Is that the article that was in "Custom PC" Uk edition?

I recieved my copy yesterday and found it a very interesting read. I have had an HD 4850 crossfire setup and an HD 4870X2 in the past. Both had their faults but it was more driver issues and certain tweaks that were needed. These soon became second nature and I could definitely see the benefit of having a multi gpu setup.

However, given the choice right now. I'd love that GTX 580 they reviewed in the same magazine :)

Haven't tried multi GPU yet myself, but I'm planning on buying a second 6950 when the next gen cards emerge. I think multi gpu solutions have matured to the point where I can actually consider using them. There remains still the issues with support, a lot of games don't work on release and driver support might take months, and even if it works, scaling might not be ideal.

Besides support, there's also the issue of micro stutter. This is again dependant on the game engine. It seems to me though that all in all things have improved enough that it's at least worth a try. I use Eyefinity so a single 6970 isn't really enough to run all the new games in 3x1080p resolution with high settings.

Now if you're talking 3-way or 4-way multi gpu solutions, it seems they're not worth the trouble. In all the reviews I've seen the scaling is horrible or nonexistant.

Could this really be true that multi card set ups have not been perfected, and that the industry promotes multi card set ups knowing they are inefficient and terrible value?

What do you think ?

I reworded your quote a tiny bit to parse it into two distinct questions, and a third summarizing topic.

1) Yes, crossfire and sli are less efficient than simply getting a single card. This is a well understood phenomenon. Two cards require specific drivers, and programs designed to utilize said drivers. Unless you're a programer on a mission, these drivers influence such a small segment of the market that most developers completely forego developing them (cost versus good to the most consumers).

That aside, crossfire and sli drivers are updated for almost every major game. This should be a huge red flag that tells you there's a lot of work currently being done. With so much work still in process, it's no wonder that the performance is occasionally wonky.

2) Moore's law. Plain and simple. If you've never heard about it flog yourself for angering the PC gods, and start off on Wikipedia. Ever wonder why Intel and AMD continue to put out faster processors? It's the same idea.

Conjecturing that there's some shadowy cabal running the industry is a joke. Both AMD and Nvidea are limited by their foundries. Foundries are limited by personnel and technology. Technology is limited by research. Using this logic, the only limiter on your graphics card is the technology available to produce chips. In reality, there are financial concerns (every wonder why those ARES GPUs were only produced in small quantities?) which will limit production. A non-profitable company doesn't last long (unless they have governmental grants, sigh).

In short, no. There is no magical conspiracy keeping graphics cards slow. It would be bad for business.

3) You are obviously new to the whole PC thing (not using, but understanding the motivations behind the development cycles), and new to researching before asking a question. If this was asked anywhere else, you'd have been buried beneath a mountain of trolls for both sides that couldn't see past their own e-peen to give you a straight answer.

Do a little research that isn't biased (Techpowerup, Tomshardware, or any of the dozens of other reputable technology blogs) by being in a print magazine, then come forward with a more targetted question.

Stevicus

System Name Uberizer
Processor Lynfield i7 860
Motherboard Gigabyte P55 UD4
Cooling Noctua P12 summat summat
Memory GSkill Ripjaw 2 x 2GB 2000mhz
Video Card(s) Gainward GTX 570 GS (GLH)
Storage Samsung 1 x 1TB F1 + 1 x 1TB F3
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 23`
Case CM Storm Sniper
Audio Device(s) Gigabyte on board
Power Supply Corsair TX 750w
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
I reworded your quote a tiny bit to parse it into two distinct questions, and a third summarizing topic.

1) Yes, crossfire and sli are less efficient than simply getting a single card. This is a well understood phenomenon. Two cards require specific drivers, and programs designed to utilize said drivers. Unless you're a programer on a mission, these drivers influence such a small segment of the market that most developers completely forego developing them (cost versus good to the most consumers).

That aside, crossfire and sli drivers are updated for almost every major game. This should be a huge red flag that tells you there's a lot of work currently being done. With so much work still in process, it's no wonder that the performance is occasionally wonky.

2) Moore's law. Plain and simple. If you've never heard about it flog yourself for angering the PC gods, and start off on Wikipedia. Ever wonder why Intel and AMD continue to put out faster processors? It's the same idea.

Conjecturing that there's some shadowy cabal running the industry is a joke. Both AMD and Nvidea are limited by their foundries. Foundries are limited by personnel and technology. Technology is limited by research. Using this logic, the only limiter on your graphics card is the technology available to produce chips. In reality, there are financial concerns (every wonder why those ARES GPUs were only produced in small quantities?) which will limit production. A non-profitable company doesn't last long (unless they have governmental grants, sigh).

In short, no. There is no magical conspiracy keeping graphics cards slow. It would be bad for business.

3) You are obviously new to the whole PC thing (not using, but understanding the motivations behind the development cycles), and new to researching before asking a question. If this was asked anywhere else, you'd have been buried beneath a mountain of trolls for both sides that couldn't see past their own e-peen to give you a straight answer.

Do a little research that isn't biased (Techpowerup, Tomshardware, or any of the dozens of other reputable technology blogs) by being in a print magazine, then come forward with a more targetted question.

Thank you for the helpful pedantry but as far as research goes there are just too many peripheral influences to get a definite answer to specific questions about this or that set up or other. I find that im trying to read between the lines too often so in some cases its a good idea to stimulate a debate to get a feel for what ppl think and experience.

I dont recall mentioning a "Shadowy Cabal" or "magical conspiracy" i simply want to know if the political economy that has grown up around the graphics industry has become cartel like ? If you dont know how these things arise & effect economics then i suggest you do some research before you start with the slings and arrows.

@ LOM Yes m8 i just read that article and the editorial and thought what to make of this ?

@ Fourstaff Thats what im referring to, things like dx10, dx10.1 the way these and other developments that speed up the pace of obsolescence particularly of gaming input devices & the like.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
@ Fourstaff Thats what im referring to, things like dx10, dx10.1 the way these and other developments that speed up the pace of obsolescence particularly of gaming input devices & the like.

Well, we are only just getting into DX11, so there is no point going any further just yet. Blame that on the game developers (and consoles) for this problem, not the graphics card manufacturer. As for OpenCL, as long as it doesnt get a good backing like how CUDA did, its adoption rate is not going to be impressive, especially since that CUDA is quite a lot more matured and supported as of now. This will slowly change as more people adopt OpenCL in the future, and I agree that the pace should be sped up, but no money no talk.

Cratzky

System Name The Terminator.
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k 3.3ghz @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) B3
Cooling 2x Zalman zm-f3 120mm, 2x Xilence red wing 80mm, Xigmatek Achilles s1284 120mm CPU Cooler
Memory 8GB G.Skill Ares 1866mhz CL9 1.5v
Video Card(s) Zotac Geforce GTX 470 @ 675/1340/3402
Storage OCZ Agility3 60gb | WD Green 500gb, 7200rpm, 64mb cache
Display(s) Samsung SA300 22" LED
Case Asus shit plastic.
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Xtreme gamer
Power Supply Corsair vx550w
Software Windows 7 professional x64
Benchmark Scores Coming
Well, remember the old times with 3dfx ? what about the 3dfx voodoo5 6000? 4 beastly gpus on same board...

Times!

In the future, with small enough manufactoring process:

Totally doable!
Looking forward to have 100x core card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
Imo multi gpu is only nice if you bought a decent card to start with and in the future decide to get another one to up perf for a low price.

For instance i would likely get a 6870 sometime next year if i could find one for $120~$150

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
I've always though of it as a waste of slots. Stick to the fastest single gpu card you can find for simplicities sake. We've got enough driver issues on both sides as is, no need to add to the problem.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Last edited by a moderator:
System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
Always saw it as a way for the little guys to run with the big boys... over time. Two mid range affordable card bought over time to soften the price impact that can come close to the high end stuff. I started out with a msi 5670 which really was adequate for my needs. Then I discovered benchmarks and boom here comes the 6870. Then i saw one sale for like $50 buck cheaper than the first one i bought.... who am i kidding. I got bored. multi gpus are just another avenue for me to tweak, down load, upgrade and push my rig to its limits. Haven't found much real world stuff to do that yet. Im sure there is a graphical improvement but seriously just feeding my techno-nerd-ocity:rockout:

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
At the moment single core all the way for me.
Less chances of running into hassles with games which do not support it or have troubles with multi GPU cards due to either AMD or the game devs.

I had once 2 x GT 9600. In some scenarios (more after some time) it gave performance.

But no. Simplicity is much better than some extra 3dmarks...

Unless multi GPU gets as good as Intel multi cores :^)

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
microstutter on 2 580's? perhaps they should throw in the towell on rig building, it simply isn't their forte.

I don't have that issue with my 480's nor have I on any dual gpu setup I've ever run. My 295 didn't stutter, dual 9600gt's didn't, shoot I didn't even see it on dual x1800's way back in the day.

I'd be curious what drivers they were using and what the rest of the rig was. something tells me they missed somethign obvious.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Microstutter is well documented at this point. It's simply an artifact of delayed render times between VGAs, that some users are more sensitive to than others.

That said though, like you, yogurt, it's been a while since I've noticed it...I see it every now and then on some apps with my 6950's on a single monitor(Dirt3 and BC2 most recently), but I simply disabled crossfire, and all is well. It seems that the AMD camp has taken it seriously, becuase app profiles work wonders for some drivers.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
I think they are more Worthy now then they once was. I would never touch a SLi/Crossfire set up 5yrs ago as the scaling was bad which also meant Price/Performance was also very bad. But with new tech these days and newer drivers i find going SLi or Crossfire or a Multi GPU card seems to be worth while now for the most part. Scaling is very good and ive had no issues at all when i ran just the one 4870X2, worked very well in all my games. Even when i went quadfire i was expecting it to be a night mare but i was surprised as it has run pretty dam good. There are some games that just hate it, or wont use all the cores that i have like Fear 3 and killing floor, but this isnt a driver problem or the cards fault its the developers of the game.

If you asked these questions 5yrs ago or so i would say its a massive waste of time and money, go get a powerful single core card. But today i would say at least go with a SLi or Crossfire setup they run pretty good these days.

System Name WhiteWalker2020 / LAN Box
Processor Intel i7 6900K 4.4GHz / 2500K i5@4.5GHz
Motherboard MSI X99A Krait / Gigabyte Z68-UD3P
Cooling Full custom liquid / XIGMATEK HDT-Aegir
Memory G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000MHz/ 4x4GB G. Skill DDR1866 Sniper
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1080Ti SC ACX 2.0, EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 2.0
Storage 950 Pro 512GB M.2, 960GB SanDisk Ultra II, Intel 730 480GB and 240GB, 850 EVO 250GB, 17TB Mechanical
Display(s) 39" AMH 399A (no glass) UHD , Wasabi Mango 42" UHD IPS, Samsung 55" 4K
Case Thermaltake Core x9 / HAF 932 Red
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD-Audio On-Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850W / Corsair 650TX
Mouse 2x Logitech 610
Keyboard Razer DeathStalker / Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB Mechanical
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 64bit Professional
Been a fan for just getting 1 nice card, never regretted it. I am the type of gamer where microstutter would ruin every aspect of "video" gaming for me.

bostonbuddy

Didn't want to spend $500 on a single card, so spent $550 on two cards that can crush it. Should be able to hand all the xbox3, ps4 ports.

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
microstutter on 2 580's? perhaps they should throw in the towell on rig building, it simply isn't their forte.

I don't have that issue with my 480's nor have I on any dual gpu setup I've ever run. My 295 didn't stutter, dual 9600gt's didn't, shoot I didn't even see it on dual x1800's way back in the day.

I'd be curious what drivers they were using and what the rest of the rig was. something tells me they missed somethign obvious.

My Brother had two 480s in his pursuit for stutter free FSX in DX10 max settings and High Def.
It ended up having more stutters despite crazy high frame rate.

On other games he played, the setup was flawless.

I'd say if there areany stutter issues it would most likely be software related due to the devs or the GPU drivers.

As osmone pointed out though.

Dual GPU has indeed come along ways.

If anyone remembers the initial grief both AMD and nVidia had with their first release of dual GPU cards, most notably the 7900GX2 which had very impressive 3DMarks for it's time.
Unfortunately this did not equate to it's real World performance despite such high fps.

Dual GPU is only going to get better as more and more devs are familiar with making programs work nicely with the setup.

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
there's only one reason for poor performance in games and apps whilst using SLI or CrossFire and that's poor development on the Dev's part not AMD or nVidia... seeing as most devs take the path of least resistance ie: Consoles and seem to forget that the PC world has far outstripped the crapsole in both storage space and GPU power and ability we're being held back by poor DX9 crapsole ports

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
My Brother had two 480s in his pursuit for stutter free FSX in DX10 max settings and High Def.
It ended up having more stutters despite crazy high frame rate.

If vsync is turned off, you'll see stutters, line tearing and other artefacts. vsync should always be turned on in normal use and off for benchmarking.

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
I have always disabled vsync in games and have only had sturrering problems several times with multiple gpu's. My first adventure into dual gpu's was with the 7800 GTX, then with the X1800XT, 3870, 4870, 470 and finally the 580. Mind you I did have a GTX 295 in between the 4870's and the 470's.
The only games I can remember having stuttering problems with running a dual card configurations is Crysis and Crysis 2. This was fixed with drivers from both ATI and Nvidia.
I enjoy being able to play games with all the "eye-candy" at 2560x1600 resolution and thus my two 580's combined with the rest of my main rig allow me to do so (w/out vsync).

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
If vsync is turned off, you'll see stutters, line tearing and other artefacts. vsync should always be turned on in normal use and off for benchmarking.

To a point this is true, i dont have many of those issues (touchwood) but i do have in alot of games if vsync is turned on i get mouse lag, this is why i turn it off.