• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help? Installed Wrong Bios for X800pro, Cant boot on floppy ?

patrikmuse

I Did It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thaiman You Are My God!!!!!!!! I Suggest To Go Down With The Clock, Restart And Put The Card Before The Beep, And Restart Untill You See The Message "update Escd" And Use Only Flashrom 2.40..... Call Me If Something Goes Bad..... Sorry For My English But Im Italian

C&C Freak 2K

Or you could just buy a cheap PCI video card that is the same brand as your AGP card. Seriously, you can buy one that will fit your needs for about as much as a few boxes of cereal.

System Name Mašina
Processor AMD-K6-200ALR 2.9V CORE/3.3V I/O
Motherboard Asus TX97 - XE
Cooling Cooler Master Ball Bearing
Memory 2X16MB NANYA DDR
Video Card(s) PCI 16MB
Storage Maxtor 4GB
Display(s) 15''
Case Hyundai P50000M
Audio Device(s) Creative Vibra 16S
Power Supply 130W
Software Free Dos
Benchmark Scores BFBC2 @ high = 100 frames per year
i have same problem and still didnt fix it!

Thaiman and all of you with such problem. It sounds that you have flashed a PCI-E BIOS on AGP card. It will not boot even with PCI card in and the only way to restore it is unsoldering of the EEPROM chip and re-programing it on external EEPROM programmer. After that soldering again. You have to find somebody capable to do that.
Today I have spoken with a man who has the same problem and fix it as described above :) .

Sorry for that news and hope that I am not right thinking about PCI-E BIOS :rolleyes: .

One more thing for sure it can be fixed but it requires skills and equipment and litle money for the overlook.

Last edited:

jjohnston2004

WEEEEEEEEEEEE - I have done it --- I DID IT !!!!!! ? ? ?

3: I turn on power, I wait 4 seccunds, and I "very fast" put in my x800pro in the AGPslot,, When I did like this, I noticed that "sometimes" my computer started to boot on floppy - But here I was out of luck, because everytime I tried my flashprograms (when I had a lucky boot) It just told me that, there was no ATI-card in my mashine "flashrom -i"? ? ?

When you "very fast" put in the x800 pro into the agp slot...do you shut off the computer?

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Congratulations!

Thaiman... congratualtions on your *hot flash*. It is very hard to do, and I'm pleased you were successful.

For anyone else trying the *hot flash* method, the timing is critical. If it doesn't work the first time, keep trying. An alternative is to *hot swap* with a working AGP card. Boot with a working AGP, but using the PCI VGA, or integrated VGA. Then swap the working AGP with the dead AGP while the PC is on.

bokis

Sorry if i wake up an old tread but i want to get this right, the story is i bought 2 dead card on pure speculation and I have a working x850xt power colour (pci-e) so if I boot from a pci card whit my working x850xt card in and do atiflash -i , atiflash will find my adaptor 1/0 and then I swap whit my dead card and flash it, it could be alive again, I have done hotflashing (mb bios)before but never a graphic card I dont want to toast anyting :ohwell:

ARTOSOFT

A long storry, and no sleep (for tree days) But i am the type who never gives up
Yeahh, I could not boot on floppy -
Here is what I did :

1: Bios option, first bootdevice A: (floppy) and First device to display PCI/AGP - Ok, I could not boot as you know on floppy under this option with my x800pro in my mashine!!

2: With my Pci-graphic-card card in the mashine (I can boot) - So I desided to try a new way -

3: I turn on power, I wait 4 seccunds, and I "very fast" put in my x800pro in the AGPslot,, When I did like this, I noticed that "sometimes" my computer started to boot on floppy - But here I was out of luck, because everytime I tried my flashprograms (when I had a lucky boot) It just told me that, there was no ATI-card in my mashine "flashrom -i"? ? ?
4: But "one time" (after long time doing this process) I Finally got contact with my X800pro, but again just to tell me "Reg mapping error" everytime I tried my "many" flashprograms (command "flashrom -p -f 0 backup.bin" and many others)
4: Yeahh, after many, many times I did this process (this was the only way to have some form of contact with my x800pro) - And every time I had a contact with my X800pro, It was "always" a different contact, sometimes one flashprogram could see the x800pro, sometimes all flashprograms could see the X800pro - And moustly at all, I did "not" have a contact. Another thing "when" I have contact, the romsize of the bios was chainging everytime, and sometimes the bios was lucked, and somethimes unlocked ? ? ? ?
5: But one time, (day tree) I had a contact, and with this command "flashrom -i" everything saw normal - OK, and I flashed with "flashrom -p -f 0 backup.bin" ,,,,,,, AND ? ? ? YEAHHHHHHHH I had the "sweetest sound in my eare" - The bios was installed correctly
6 I rebotted my mashine, and my x800pro is back in life again ? ? ? ? Yeah
You are lucky. But, I think AGP/PCI card doesn't support hot swap.

Regards,
Arto.

Thaiman and all of you with such problem. It sounds that you have flashed a PCI-E BIOS on AGP card. It will not boot even with PCI card in and the only way to restore it is unsoldering of the EEPROM chip and re-programing it on external EEPROM programmer. After that soldering again. You have to find somebody capable to do that.
Today I have spoken with a man who has the same problem and fix it as described above :) .

Sorry for that news and hope that I am not right thinking about PCI-E BIOS :rolleyes: .

One more thing for sure it can be fixed but it requires skills and equipment and litle money for the overlook.
This might work to.
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=24507
This is what wizard did.

System Name AMD '13
Processor FX-6300 @ 4.43GHz (1.35v)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 rev 1.0 (F6)
Cooling Cooler Master T2 + x2 case fans
Memory 2x4Gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (Stock)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX650 Ti OC 2Gb @ 1110/1500
Storage Corsair 240Gb SSD / Seagate 500Gb HDD + old skool IDE HDD's x 3
Display(s) Acer 23'' LED
Case Billy Basic
Audio Device(s) Onboard 8.1 HD
Power Supply Corsair CX600
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores Smenchmarks

A long storry, and no sleep (for tree days) But i am the type who never gives up
Yeahh, I could not boot on floppy -
Here is what I did :

1: Bios option, first bootdevice A: (floppy) and First device to display PCI/AGP - Ok, I could not boot as you know on floppy under this option with my x800pro in my mashine!!

2: With my Pci-graphic-card card in the mashine (I can boot) - So I desided to try a new way -

4: But "one time" (after long time doing this process) I Finally got contact with my X800pro, but again just to tell me "Reg mapping error" everytime I tried my "many" flashprograms (command "flashrom -p -f 0 backup.bin" and many others)
4: Yeahh, after many, many times I did this process (this was the only way to have some form of contact with my x800pro) - And every time I had a contact with my X800pro, It was "always" a different contact, sometimes one flashprogram could see the x800pro, sometimes all flashprograms could see the X800pro - And moustly at all, I did "not" have a contact. Another thing "when" I have contact, the romsize of the bios was chainging everytime, and sometimes the bios was lucked, and somethimes unlocked ? ? ? ?
5: But one time, (day tree) I had a contact, and with this command "flashrom -i" everything saw normal - OK, and I flashed with "flashrom -p -f 0 backup.bin" ,,,,,,, AND ? ? ? YEAHHHHHHHH I had the "sweetest sound in my eare" - The bios was installed correctly
6 I rebotted my mashine, and my x800pro is back in life again ? ? ? ? Yeah

I think the secret of your success was in having two step 4's :laugh:

Dolf, Wizzard´s guide includ soldering, could you use some small grabber instead of soldering, my hands is a bit shaky
http://www.elfa.se/en/
Artikel
6012-PRO

Just solder two wires on pin 1 and 8 (because the chip should be under the cooler). Get them out of the card and connect when you need high signal when you flashing disconnect them. After you finish with the flashing un-solder the wires (of course you have to remove the cooler in both cases - soldering/unsoldering).

bokis

Just solder two wires on pin 1 and 8 (because the chip should be under the cooler). Get them out of the card and connect when you need high signal when you flashing disconnect them. After you finish with the flashing un-solder the wires (of course you have to remove the cooler in both cases - soldering/unsoldering).

Gona use a couple http://www.elfa.se/elfa-bin/setpage...a-bin/dyndok.pl?lang=se&vat=0&dok=2003381.htm and put some sticky rubber on so the dont make contact with the pin next door
and a old cpu heatsink that dont cover the chip if I´m lucky the will arrive tomorrow and then we will see if my cards are dead ore alive

Gona use a couple http://www.elfa.se/elfa-bin/setpage...a-bin/dyndok.pl?lang=se&vat=0&dok=2003381.htm and put some sticky rubber on so the dont make contact with the pin next door
and a old cpu heatsink that dont cover the chip if I´m lucky the will arrive tomorrow and then we will see if my cards are dead ore alive

If you succed to ensure contact between the pins then do it. Just be carefull and when booting from PCI card flash adapter 1 (your AGP card) not 0 (your PCI).

bokis

I got the crocodile clips today but the need some modding, to broad and to thick, but that can be fixed with a dremel, gona try it on x850xt non vivo first and by the way the are Pci-e
I wish we hade a radio shack typ of store near by :ohwell:

bokis

I got the crocodile clips today but the need some modding, to broad and to thick, but that can be fixed with a dremel, gona try it on x850xt non vivo first and by the way the are Pci-e
I wish we hade a radio shack typ of store near by :ohwell:

At this moment i cant get this to work stil "adaptor not found" but I only tried this on the
x850xt non vivo card, but I wont give up I have a identical power color x850xt vivo as my dead one, could try a hotflash, I mean boot with the working
x850xt do atiflash -i remove the working card and do a flash on the dead card, so question is can it be done

bokis

I dont see things smaller then elephants and got shacking hands but I vill try it just got to get a smaller tip for my solderingiron :laugh:

I did it, but no luck on my a8r32-mvp delux mb, no response what so ever on my 2 x850xt, tried it whit flashrom 240 I read some wher that their could be differens betwen mb,
so question, which flasher which mb has it been done with

I did it, but no luck on my a8r32-mvp delux mb, no response what so ever on my 2 x850xt, tried it whit flashrom 240 I read some wher that their could be differens betwen mb,
so question, which flasher which mb has it been done with

I hope that you are using PCI videocard or (on board) and disconnecting the short connection between pin 8 and 1 of the EEPROM after the boot from PCI videocard or (on board).

bokis

I get back to you when I'm home again, on holliday fore a month in Tobago :toast: