• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why I'll Never Buy Anything Gigabyte Again.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
In this case, you should specifically state that fan is making noise when in horizontal, facing down position. They'd spot the issue right away. But like some said, they test it in test benches that are in most cases motherboards placed horizontally, meaning the graphic card was vertical and most likely not making any noises. I know it's impossible for customers to know how they test, but it's better to write down excessively detailed description of a malfunction than too little detailed.
Funny story: when I sent my 290X in I not only described it being mounted with the fan facing down, I drew a picture of it! XD

...they still marked it as testing passed though... :\

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
if it was me, then i would never buy anything from any brand if a single problem and a bad RMA experience was enough...
MSI : several RMA and none was smooth, even one with a 3month delay... without reason given (around 6 RMA ) tho i would gladly buy a MSI mobo or GPU depending
Razer: well that one is the worst ... except a headset and a mouse bungee, i never had something from them that didn't failed within 6 month from them i would never buy anything they produce again.
ASUS: 1 RMA, smooth no issues on that side
Gigabyte: never had any issues with them (GPU, mobo, even cpu cooler, yep i had a Gigabyte G-Power 2 Pro and 3D Galaxy LCS from them )
XFX: fan issue on a 7950, no RMA, out of warranty fixed it myself (for a fan it's not a problem, specially when out of warranty)
ASRock: 1 issue on a 970 Extreme 3 short delay quick contact at the time
etc etc etc,

well since it's a 970 ITX a aftermarket cooler is out of question, that's too bad.
I respect that GB has been giving OP an extremely hard time in his RMA and often times customer support for these companies is woefully subpar, but I think that rather than shaming these companies openly, more of us should try to take a positive approach. Things go bad all the time regardless of brand (Asus gets a lot of shit recently but no company is that much different) and by exhausting all the possibilities in troubleshooting, you do yourself a favour by making the manufacturer's life easier.

Just laying out every related issue and fact and occurrence can help out a manufacturer not only in helping you troubleshoot but it also goes a long way in building a healthy relationship. Consumers' Rights go a long way nowadays in making sure that companies treat you well but if you send a scathing email straight outta the gates on why a fan has broken after 6 months, chances are that any rep is not going to take too kindly to that. Some things don't seem big enough to even mention but giving it a quick mention makes your case more complete and also stops them from making unhelpful canned suggestions.

I had a RMA with Kingston that didn't end up being an RMA in November. I sent a very long email detailing how I analysed and tried to solve the issue on my own, and every possibility I could think of. In the end, I got a quick, frendly response and rep told me to send it in to a depot nearby first chance I got. Didn't come to that because evidently I hadn't exhausted all the possibilities and it turned out to be a GPU issue and not the RAM kit, but I told them when I found out and with another actually-not-canned-and-still-friendly response from them the entire procedure was wrapped up amicably.

Now, I'm not saying that every case is like mine and every manufacturer is the same, nor am I suggesting that I even had to go thru the hardest parts of the RAM process. But although companies should always treat their consumers well and put them "first", they also don't have to treat you like family if you start things off with a direct " your products suck if they start being partially defective in 3 months, rethink your strategy as you're a pile of rubbish, I'm buying x and never from you again". Some reps are assholes and will continue to not care/be rude after you are being positive throughout, but I trust that not every rep is like that.

Some have good social media presence too, so if you mention to them/remind them there politely (perhaps with a little bit of force), they will rather quickly get to opening a case with you.
quite my point of view

Last edited:
Yeah, that's another thing. How much people in sevice centers understand plain English.

I had to talk to ACER support once and it took me 15 e-mails (and each needed 1-2 days to get a response) before I managed to explain someone from Poland (I think) in most basic English i could possibly use to describe the issue and he still didn't have full idea what I'm talking about. It especially sucked because I live in Slovenia and no other tech support wanted to dealw ith me because I fall within EMEA region. So I have to deal with fucking Indian or East european services that dont' understand f**king English.

In between I tried contacting UK and US services and they responded not only much faster (within minutes) but they instantly understood what I wanted. But they said they cannot talk further about it because I don't live in their region and that's against their policy. They then directed me to EMEA service. Which sucks hairy balls. Yeah, that's another issue. Language barrier.

At least at work I dealw ith service centers that have people who also use my native language so there is no language barrier. But I understand what you mean.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It is a design flaw.
Not likely. If a design flaw, this same problem would be extremely widespread and happening with 10s of 1000s of cards with these fans (and surely, this particular fan is used on more than one model card too).

newtekie1 said:
It isn't just the sending the card back, that can happen. They didn't hear the noise, fine, I can deal with that. Though I still think for the cost of a fan, if a user says the fan is noisy, just replace it.
I agree 100%. But according to your post #5 above, you said the fan "was bad", not noisy. The description of the problem during the RMA should have been, "the fan intermittently makes a ticking noise". Again, I am not making excuses for them, just posing a plausible explanation.

The part I can't deal with is the total lack of customer service, requiring me to spend my money a second time to ship it back to them.
This is actually where I think Gigabyte failed the most egregiously. The fact the part failed initially is just bad luck. As I said before, Man cannot make perfection 100% of the time. The fact they failed to fix it the first time is definitely disappointing, but again - most likely due to poorly trained people following a checklist seeing that the card (and fan) worked.

The big problem, IMO, is them not bending over backwards to satisfy the customer after being notified they did not fix the problem the first time. But again, if you did not specify the problem was an intermittent ticking noise, you must take some of the responsibility here. :( That may not be fair, but life if not fair.

If you said the fan "was bad" and they plugged the card into their test bench mock up, saw a pretty test pattern on their monitor and saw the fan spinning up, they most likely thought it was "user error" and/or "no trouble found" which any technician knows are very common problems encountered in the electronics repair business.

So again, because you apparently did not properly describe the problem in detail as RejZor also suggested above, I think you owe Gigabyte another chance and again, I recommend you contact them again. BE NICE and factual. Post your concerns on Facebook, again BE NICE. Or send a NICE email to services@gigabyteusa.com and explain NICELY that the problem was not fixed the first time and you feel you should not be charged for shipping again.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
They could argue that annoying fingernail-on chalkboard sound was an "undocumented feature"

Joking aside, what was said before about their testing is probably true. They saw the fan work and decided it was fine, even the fan may have been running at a lower speed.

Wasn't there a Gigabyte rep here at one time?

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
They could argue that annoying fingernail-on chalkboard sound was an "undocumented feature"

yes, yes! didn't you know that the annoying fingernail-on chalkboard noise coming from the GPU raises the users blood pressure thus INCREASING their personal performance in gaming. It's science! /s

System Name Simon
Processor Core i7 5820K @ 4.4GHz @1.25v core, 1.9v input, 1.12v system agent, 0.9v cache - 24/7 & P95 stable
Motherboard ASUS X99 Deluxe U3.1, BIOS 3101
Cooling Corsair H110i GTX + 2 x Corsair ML140 Pro Red LED, exhaust @ top panel
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x 8GB 2666 MHz 16, 18, 18, 35, 2T (Stock)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X (OC BIOS), +60 MHz GPU, +450 MHz Memory
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500 Gb, WD Green + White Label, total 17 TB
Display(s) 3x Samsung CFG73 (24" 1920x1080, 144Hz) in 2D Surround, LG C7 OLED TV (55", 4K, 60Hz)
Case Corsair 760T + Corsair SP120 Perf.Ed. + 3x ML 140 Pro Red + DEMCI Dust Filter Kit + DeepCool RGB LED
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Z, Topping E30 + SMSL SP200, Hifiman 4XX, beyerdynamic 770 250Ω, Audeze iSine 10, HD6xx
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i + APC BackUPS RS1500 (modded w/ 130 AH Kung Long Batteries) + APC Smart UPS SUA1500i
Mouse Razer Naga Chroma + Reflex Lab Extended Mouse Pad + Xbox One S Controller + 3 x Xbox 360 Controllers
Keyboard Corsiar K70 RGB (2016 Edition) Cherry Mx Red w/ custom Arabic-legend shine-through keycaps
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 - ver. 20H2
Benchmark Scores Onkyo TX-NR626 AV Receiver, speakers: 4x Yamaha NS-M325 + Yamaha NS-C3290 + Proson Libre Sub 8.1
Wow. Talk about holding a grudge? ......Until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, there will always be samples that fail pre-maturely.

When you pay a price premium for a factory overclocked graphics card, you expect it to work on the advertised clocks. Besides, when the official and only distributor of one company does not honor the warranty, it is reason enough to avoid the products of this company all together.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
When you pay a price premium for a factory overclocked graphics card, you expect it to work on the advertised clocks. Besides, when the official and only distributor of one company does not honor the warranty, it is reason enough to avoid the products of this company all together.
I'll buy that for a little while - but you have written them off since 2007 vowing to never buy from them again. That is simply holding a grudge. If companies, products and technologies never change, that is one thing. But, especially in highly competitive and constantly advancing industries of consumer electronics, everything changes every few years.

This is claiming a Ford or Chevy from 10 years ago that was a lemon represents the Ford or Chevy cars of today. Just not true.

This works both ways too. For example, years ago, if a power supply said Corsair on it, you knew you could trust it. But today we know that some Corsairs don't live up to the reputation the brand once represented. Do we write off all Corsairs forever? No! We do our homework and buy from the line of PSUs that still reflect the quality we expect from Corsair PSUs.

This is certainly your choice. But IMO, writing off an entire widely regarded brand forever because of a couple isolated cases of bad luck nearly a decade ago is just limiting your own choices.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I agree 100%. But according to your post #5 above, you said the fan "was bad", not noisy. The description of the problem during the RMA should have been, "the fan intermittently makes a ticking noise". Again, I am not making excuses for them, just posing a plausible explanation.

The exact word for word description of the problem I submitted on the RMA request form was "Fan makes a loud bearing grinding noise". I was a little bit more descriptive than just saying the fan was bad. They knew it was a bearing noise.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I was a little bit more descriptive than just saying the fan was bad. They knew it was a bearing noise.
Thanks for clarifying. Then for sure, I would be upset too. But again, I think you should give them another chance to make it right by contacting them on Facebook and/or through that email address I showed above. I don't see what you have to lose at this point.

System Name Simon
Processor Core i7 5820K @ 4.4GHz @1.25v core, 1.9v input, 1.12v system agent, 0.9v cache - 24/7 & P95 stable
Motherboard ASUS X99 Deluxe U3.1, BIOS 3101
Cooling Corsair H110i GTX + 2 x Corsair ML140 Pro Red LED, exhaust @ top panel
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x 8GB 2666 MHz 16, 18, 18, 35, 2T (Stock)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X (OC BIOS), +60 MHz GPU, +450 MHz Memory
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500 Gb, WD Green + White Label, total 17 TB
Display(s) 3x Samsung CFG73 (24" 1920x1080, 144Hz) in 2D Surround, LG C7 OLED TV (55", 4K, 60Hz)
Case Corsair 760T + Corsair SP120 Perf.Ed. + 3x ML 140 Pro Red + DEMCI Dust Filter Kit + DeepCool RGB LED
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Z, Topping E30 + SMSL SP200, Hifiman 4XX, beyerdynamic 770 250Ω, Audeze iSine 10, HD6xx
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i + APC BackUPS RS1500 (modded w/ 130 AH Kung Long Batteries) + APC Smart UPS SUA1500i
Mouse Razer Naga Chroma + Reflex Lab Extended Mouse Pad + Xbox One S Controller + 3 x Xbox 360 Controllers
Keyboard Corsiar K70 RGB (2016 Edition) Cherry Mx Red w/ custom Arabic-legend shine-through keycaps
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 - ver. 20H2
Benchmark Scores Onkyo TX-NR626 AV Receiver, speakers: 4x Yamaha NS-M325 + Yamaha NS-C3290 + Proson Libre Sub 8.1
I'll buy that for a little while - but you have written them off since 2007 vowing to never buy from them again. That is simply holding a grudge. If companies, products and technologies never change, that is one thing. But, especially in highly competitive and constantly advancing industries of consumer electronics, everything changes every few years.

This is claiming a Ford or Chevy from 10 years ago that was a lemon represents the Ford or Chevy cars of today. Just not true.

This works both ways too. For example, years ago, if a power supply said Corsair on it, you knew you could trust it. But today we know that some Corsairs don't live up to the reputation the brand once represented. Do we write off all Corsairs forever? No! We do our homework and buy from the line of PSUs that still reflect the quality we expect from Corsair PSUs.

This is certainly your choice. But IMO, writing off an entire widely regarded brand forever because of a couple isolated cases of bad luck nearly a decade ago is just limiting your own choices.
Let me say it again: the exclusive distributor of GB's products in my country is still the same. Will you risk losing a month's pay and buy an expensive card while you know its warranty will most likely not be honored should anything bad happens? I won't call it a grudge, rather the loss of trust.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Thanks for clarifying. Then for sure, I would be upset too. But again, I think you should give them another chance to make it right by contacting them on Facebook and/or through that email address I showed above. I don't see what you have to lose at this point.

That is the email address I've been using, well services@gigabyte-usa.com, its the email at the bottom of the RMA emails I've received. They told me to go pound sand, they won't make any attempt to make things right. My only option is to pay for shipping a second time and be out a card for 3 weeks again. It takes a minimum of 2 days between communications. I send an email, and if I'm lucky get a response in 2 days, usually its 3-4 days. It is an agonizingly slow process. I've been emailing them back and forth since I received the returned card on Dec. 21. It has taken over 2 weeks just to get to this point where they finally responded and told me they won't do anything, I just have to RMA the card again.

Basically, I'd expect no less than an advanced replacement at this point. But, I guess I'll just be out a graphics card for 3 weeks again. Luckily I've got spares, but the average person probably doesn't, but Gigabyte doesn't care.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Let me say it again: the exclusive distributor of GB's products in my country is still the same.
You can keep saying it again, but you are still talking 9 years ago and several generations of products later. I might not take my car to the same dealer for repair if I got burnt once before, but that would not keep me from buying the same brand car again after that many years have passed if the company otherwise maintained a good reputation - which Gigabyte surely has. You are assuming the same management, techs, policies and procedures are in place after all this time. I cannot do that - especially when Gigabyte makes a vast array of "quality" products with new products coming out all the time. Not just one product that's been in production for 9 years.

If Gigabyte was known for producing lousy quality, unreliable products, I would be right behind you. But Gigabyte has a long-standing, and well-earned reputation for making quality, reliable, long-lasting products - and, obviously with few exceptions, good customer support too.

It is clear you have made up your mind. Your choice and I accept that. I am just saying you have shut the door on lots of good products with that choice.
That is the email address I've been using, well services@gigabyte-usa.com, its the email at the bottom of the RMA emails I've received.
That may go to the same place. I got the email address above from the bottom of this page. Since Facebook is seen by many potential customers, it might be best to post your concerns there for the most exposure.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Finally gave up on email and just called the support number. After a back and forth with the customer service person, seriously it took way more effort than needed, they finally agreed to send me a fan. They didn't even want to do that, they were insisting that the only option was for me to do another RMA. But finally gave in and agreed to send me a replacement fan I can put on myself.

I'm still annoyed that I have to fix my 6 month old, $350, graphics card myself. And I definitely won't buy anything Gigabyte again, I'm not satisfied with the outcome at all.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
This makes me like EVGA's service oh so much more they would have just cross shipped me a card...

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
This makes me like EVGA's service oh so much more they would have just cross shipped me a card...
I seem to remember that too, express rma. This is what we do at work for our customers as well. As a result we do overnight shipping and returns...it seriously the only way we can guarantee getting the item back.

being on the other end of it I'm not seeing the business reasons for slow ship slow response. Not only does it hurt return business but it can seriously lead to you paying a bunch of employees for doing absolutely nothing... that can't be cheap.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Finally gave up on email and just called the support number. After a back and forth with the customer service person, seriously it took way more effort than needed, they finally agreed to send me a fan. They didn't even want to do that, they were insisting that the only option was for me to do another RMA. But finally gave in and agreed to send me a replacement fan I can put on myself.
But still that is good progress. And note it is understandable they would not want to send a fan for you to install yourself because they have no assurances, other than your word, that you know what you are doing and will not destroy the device with ESD or a screwdriver slip that slices through several trace runs on the PCB.

So now let's just hope they send the right fan! ;)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
But still that is good progress. And note it is understandable they would not want to send a fan for you to install yourself because they have no assurances, other than your word, that you know what you are doing and will not destroy the device with ESD or a screwdriver slip that slices through several trace runs on the PCB.

So now let's just hope they send the right fan! ;)

That was a comical part of the conversation. First they didn't even know what fan to send me.

Tech: Which of the 3 fans needs to be replaced?
Me: Umm...my card only has one fan.
Tech: ....Oh....Uuuuuuhhhh...how many wires does it have?
Me: Seriously? 3 Wires.
Tech: Oh, ok, we'll send the fan out.

So now I really am crossing my fingers that they don't send the wrong fan.

Last edited:
System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
So now I really am crossing my fingers that they send the wrong fan.
I hope they send the wrong fan too, it would make a nice continuation of this thread :D
... also it's quite possible the fan blades are touching the shroud if the fan started to wobble or fan mounting got bent.
Anyhow, I had vast better experiences with their motherboards than their graphics cards.

System Name Univac SLI Edition
Processor Intel Xeon 1650 V3 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard eVGA X99 FTW K
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X Tri-SLI w/ EK Blocks
Storage HyperX Predator 240GB PCI-E, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" Ultra-Wide (U3415W) / (Samsung 48" Curved 4k)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350watt Toughpower Modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CODE 10 keyless MX Clears
Software Windows 10 Pro
You can keep saying it again, but you are still talking 9 years ago and several generations of products later. I might not take my car to the same dealer for repair if I got burnt once before, but that would not keep me from buying the same brand car again after that many years have passed if the company otherwise maintained a good reputation - which Gigabyte surely has. You are assuming the same management, techs, policies and procedures are in place after all this time. I cannot do that - especially when Gigabyte makes a vast array of "quality" products with new products coming out all the time. Not just one product that's been in production for 9 years.

If Gigabyte was known for producing lousy quality, unreliable products, I would be right behind you. But Gigabyte has a long-standing, and well-earned reputation for making quality, reliable, long-lasting products - and, obviously with few exceptions, good customer support too.

It is clear you have made up your mind. Your choice and I accept that. I am just saying you have shut the door on lots of good products with that choice.
That may go to the same place. I got the email address above from the bottom of this page. Since Facebook is seen by many potential customers, it might be best to post your concerns there for the most exposure.
I think you're missing the deal there. He doesn't want to purchase a Gigabyte product because of the exclusive distributor. Gigabyte may have upped their game (maybe not since this OP was about Gigabyte) but his trust with the distributor of their product in his country won't change. I kind of have to side with him on that one.

Last edited:

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
$5 says they send a 120mm case fan

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
Gigabyte basically is a wannabe premium brand, their quality and service is wannabe too compared to such as MSI, Sapphire, Asus etc. - my friend has a 980 Ti G1 Gaming and he doesn't like how loud the fans are and he already improved it a lot by using custom fan curve in MSI Afterburner, still too loud for his taste, he said, he will be buying premium cards with 2 fans instead and never touch a windforce (3 fan) card again. For a 680€ card it's pretty underwhelming to have something not set right and being too loud. The 980 Ti G1 Gaming back then was "the" premium card of GB - now imagine what happens if you buy something cheaper of them.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I don't agree with that assessment at all. I put Gigabyte on equal grounds with ASUS and just about everything else a notch below that.

That said, it is just not fair to judge an entire company and all their products based on one model, one sample of one model, or a single incident - not when they sell millions and millions of products every year.

Pick any product and you can find an unhappy customer making an inordinate amount of noise about it. For example, if you do just a little research, you can find MANY upset users with ASUS ROG products - a line you expect to be top quality every time.

That said, a loud fan is not an indication of poor quality, a defect, or reliability. Ticking yes, but not loud. Loud can easily be an indication the fan is moving massive amounts of air - a good thing. More importantly, the choice of a fan on a graphics card has absolutely nothing to do with Gigabyte quality for their motherboards or other products.

Bottom line is, do your homework before buying. Research and read the professional reviews, then decide where to spend your money.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I put GB solidly below Asus, but that's just me blowing up Asus boards.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Have you all forgot about the motherboard revision downgrade scandal too?