• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD A12-9800 "Bristol Ridge" AM4 APU with ASUS A320M-C Tested

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
German PC enthusiast "Crashtest" clinched a sweet combo of an AMD A12-9800 "Bristol Ridge" socket AM4 APU with an ASUS A320M-C entry-level micro-ATX motherboard, for 200€. Pairing it with 8 GB of dual-channel DDR4-2133 memory, the platform was put through the AIDA64 test-suite. In the memory front, the platform performs on-par with older platforms at comparable DDR3 bandwidth. The K15.6 integrated memory controller isn't producing the kind of memory bandwidth as the Core i7-6700K with dual-channel DDR4-2133 memory from AIDA64's internal reference bench table.

In the CPU-related tests, the APU has about the same performance as its predecessors, such as the A10-7850K. The chip features two "Excavator" x86-64 CPU modules, making up four cores, and is clocked at 4.20 GHz. There are performance upticks seen in tests such as Hash and VP8, where the chip likely benefits from new instruction sets.

More results follow.

Below are pictures of the board and the A12-9800 chip.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I read the source - used a boxed oem cooler. Doesn't help on the AM4 cooler compatibility issues.... I'm looking for ward to air cooling on CPU moving forward but until the damn thing is out, socket compatibility is unknown.

Wait a second, AM4 APU, but wth Excavator cores? Something doesn't compute here or it's intentional for the low(er) end part to be on new socket, but based on old tech...

Wait a second, AM4 APU, but wth Excavator cores? Something doesn't compute here or it's intentional for the low(er) end part to be on new socket, but based on old tech...
I don't see anything strange, the problem most be between your monitor and keyboard. :D

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
Wait a second, AM4 APU, but wth Excavator cores?
Wait how did you miss that. It's been known for quite some time. They needed something to fill the gap to Zen, and to have a product for the AM4/DDR4 mobos.
True Zen apus have an unknown release date, if i'm not mistaken.

Chromatix

Somebody's been hiding under a rock for the past six months.

Bristol Ridge is just a respin of Carrizo. It officially supports DDR4, while Carrizo was released only in DDR3 configurations. It also reaches higher clock speeds than Carrizo did, both on CPU cores and iGPU. The DDR4 support allows it to be the first AM4 socket APU.

Stoney Ridge is a budget APU, also with Excavator cores, but only one pair of them and a smaller iGPU. I don't know whether it's coming to AM4 as well, but it's definitely showing up in cheap laptops.

Summit Ridge is the first Zen CPU. It'll also be on AM4, but it won't have an iGPU at all. Coming Soon™.

Raven Ridge will be the first Zen APU, with the iGPU being Vega-derived. This will be the third AM4 chip, and the second AM4 APU. However it won't be ready until several months after Summit Ridge is released.

AMD wants to retire the old AM3+ and FM2+ sockets ASAP. Giving us Bristol Ridge on AM4 lets them do that without leaving a huge gap in the low end of the market.

Pretty awful performance all around except for hashing.

This page of AMD CPU history should be closed and forgotten.

Chromatix

It's sitting pretty much where I'd expect Excavator at this clock speed. On most benchmarks it does poorly relative to high-end competitors (and sometimes even compared to old Phenom IIs), but it's consistently a little ahead of Steamroller.

Remember, this is a relatively cheap APU; the bundle with m/board costs similar to a Core i3 + m/board, and the iGPU surely outperforms the i3's. The board will also happily take upgrades to Zen+Vega, making it impressively future-proof.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
What about gaming? I wanna know how much faster the GPU is than the 7890K.

Chromatix

It's a valid question - we'll have to wait for someone who actually has one to run benchmarks. I expect it'll mostly be bandwidth limited, so it should be run at different RAM speeds too, up to at least 3200.

iO

Processor R7 5700x
Motherboard MSI B450i Gaming
Cooling Accelero Mono CPU Edition
Memory 16 GB VLP
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6700 XT
Storage P34A80 512GB
Display(s) LG 27UM67 UHD
Case none
Power Supply SS G-650
I read the source - used a boxed oem cooler. Doesn't help on the AM4 cooler compatibility issues.... I'm looking for ward to air cooling on CPU moving forward but until the damn thing is out, socket compatibility is unknown.
As stated in the source they did change the hole dimensions, thats why he went with an old Oem cooler.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
As stated in the source they did change the hole dimensions, thats why he went with an old Oem cooler.

You have confused me.

If AM4 uses new hole dimensions, how can you have used an 'old' oem cooler? The old cooler will be AM3 compatible, not AM4. I read it as the APU came with an OEM cooler?

Chromatix

AMD heatsinks come in two varieties - one which uses the mounting holes directly, and one which mounts to the plastic bracket fitted to AMD m/boards by default. AMD's stock heatsinks are always of the latter variety, and *that* remains compatible all the way from Socket 754, 939 and 940 to AM4. You can just as easily use a Wraith on an old K8 Sempron and on new AM4 chips, as you can on its intended AM3+ CPUs.

What's changed with AM4 are the mounting holes. M/boards have new, straight plastic brackets which fit into the new mounting holes and provide the old stock-heatsink mounting points. You just need new mounting hardware for most aftermarket heatsinks.

A few aftermarket heatsink vendors, including Noctua, have promised to make new mounting hardware available for existing models.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
AMD heatsinks come in two varieties - one which uses the mounting holes directly, and one which mounts to the plastic bracket fitted to AMD m/boards by default. AMD's stock heatsinks are always of the latter variety, and *that* remains compatible all the way from Socket 754, 939 and 940 to AM4. You can just as easily use a Wraith on an old K8 Sempron and on new AM4 chips, as you can on its intended AM3+ CPUs.

What's changed with AM4 are the mounting holes. M/boards have new, straight plastic brackets which fit into the new mounting holes and provide the old stock-heatsink mounting points. You just need new mounting hardware for most aftermarket heatsinks.

A few aftermarket heatsink vendors, including Noctua, have promised to make new mounting hardware available for existing models.

I'm looking at a Thermalright cooler.... they said a while back they were compatible but since then others have said differently.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
20/11/18 (read/write/copy) [GB/s] on the DDR4 memory benchmarks, why so slow? My DDR3 system gets 35/37/34.

Chromatix

Simple reason, Bulldozer family's cache architecture is horrible. None of them get anywhere near normal memory performance, except from the iGPU in the case of APUs.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
That seems odd... Not sure what to believe on these tests as it shows to be pretty poor performing even knowing its a "BullDozer" based APU especially compared to the other APU's in the lineup. Maybe its accurate but I guess I am always skeptical of these leaks.

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
Good for Grandma's computer.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
Somebody's been hiding under a rock for the past six months.

Bristol Ridge is just a respin of Carrizo. It officially supports DDR4, while Carrizo was released only in DDR3 configurations. It also reaches higher clock speeds than Carrizo did, both on CPU cores and iGPU. The DDR4 support allows it to be the first AM4 socket APU.

Stoney Ridge is a budget APU, also with Excavator cores, but only one pair of them and a smaller iGPU. I don't know whether it's coming to AM4 as well, but it's definitely showing up in cheap laptops.

Summit Ridge is the first Zen CPU. It'll also be on AM4, but it won't have an iGPU at all. Coming Soon™.

Raven Ridge will be the first Zen APU, with the iGPU being Vega-derived. This will be the third AM4 chip, and the second AM4 APU. However it won't be ready until several months after Summit Ridge is released.

AMD wants to retire the old AM3+ and FM2+ sockets ASAP. Giving us Bristol Ridge on AM4 lets them do that without leaving a huge gap in the low end of the market.

Considering the turd-like level of performance of this "CPU" (using that term lightly) you shouldn't be surprised many of us have "hid under a rock" from AMD for years never mind months! I give him credit if he only missed 6 months of the AMD progress, he must really be a sadomasochist

Why they tested with very high Ram Timings? CL 15 on 2133??
I would imagine it should be better than 7850k with CL 9

Chromatix

The timings are on a different scale for DDR4 than for DDR3. I'm not sure of the details, but I imagine they just left it at the defaults, and that they're no slower in practice than typical DDR3.

Chromatix

Considering the turd-like level of performance of this "CPU" (using that term lightly) you shouldn't be surprised many of us have "hid under a rock" from AMD for years never mind months! I give him credit if he only missed 6 months of the AMD progress, he must really be a sadomasochist
I hoped that the upcoming Zen CPUs would have at least raised interest in everything to do with the AM4 socket. Even if you don't plan to buy any of the Bulldozer-family chips - an entirely defensible position - I think it's wise to know which ones they are.

Bristol Ridge, being essentially an existing product repackaged, offers an inexpensive way to build an AM4-based machine that can subsequently be upgraded very nicely - and on a per-core basis it *is* generally an improvement over previous AMD CPUs, despite its smaller L2 caches and lack of L3 cache. Look at how close it gets to the FX-8350 on several tests, at half the power consumption and slightly lower clock speeds.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
I hoped that the upcoming Zen CPUs would have at least raised interest in everything to do with the AM4 socket. Even if you don't plan to buy any of the Bulldozer-family chips - an entirely defensible position - I think it's wise to know which ones they are.

Bristol Ridge, being essentially an existing product repackaged, offers an inexpensive way to build an AM4-based machine that can subsequently be upgraded very nicely - and on a per-core basis it *is* generally an improvement over previous AMD CPUs, despite its smaller L2 caches and lack of L3 cache. Look at how close it gets to the FX-8350 on several tests, at half the power consumption and slightly lower clock speeds.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...initial-kaby-lake-launch.229110/#post-3578426

Ironically I posted that before I posted here, but obviously you probably didn't see it but is just funny, because I have glanced at AMD news for last several years but till I heard of Zen I was just tired of AMD for sucking and Intel for just sitting on their lead doing squat. But trust me I'm as excited as anyone about Zen, I have an x79 system and it should be ancient and cheap and irrelevant...instead CPU's for it still are several hundred to even a thousand dollars! That's crazy for a platform from 2011. So I've got an ES 3960x which prevents me updating to latest bios (no support beyond certain bios version) and I am eyeing an 8 core xeon but about a grand for that thing! Currently even if I want a 4960x it's 400-500 on ebay....until last week or so I just looked noticed a few go for just over 300 bucks, possibly already demand shrinking due to Zen rumors? I hope so. Like you said Zen succeeding helps all of us, value and innovation in cpu's has been dead while GPU's have continued to fly along mostly and AMD and Nvidia both have kept up most every generation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what is worse in "improvements":
Skylake to Kaby Lake or A10-7800 to A12-9800.

Seriously what is the point of this apu? So you can upgrade to a Zen later? That is silly as you can get (on newegg) a 7850k for $90, fm2 mb for $35, and 8gb of descent ddr3 for $50. That is $175 TOTAL. You are better off going that route and upgrading to the newest motherboard and Zen cpu instead of screwing around switching out cpus.

Chromatix

The real point is so that AMD and their partners can retire the FM2+ socket at the same time as AM3+. The older parts will still float around the discount market for a while, but you can be reasonably sure they're already out of production. That, in part, is *why* they're so cheap.

It's also so that Joe Average and his grandparents, wandering into Best Buy with no real clue about what's inside a computer, have at least *some* chance of buying into a future-proof platform instead of an orphaned one. AMD released the AM4 platform to OEM prebuilt partners first.

I myself have an A10-7850K already. Bristol Ridge isn't a significant performance upgrade from that, so I almost certainly won't buy one. But if I desperately needed to build *something* today, I'd look for Bristol Ridge first, because I then wouldn't need to replace $85 worth (by your figures) of hardware that Zen can't use. That's worth the difference between $175 and €200.

What's intensely frustrating is that, months after the OEM release, we still can't buy AM4 gear at retail except for this single, rather obscure bundle. It really cramps the options available to give advice on.