• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ThrottleStop Next Version

David B.

Hi,

I'm running Throttlestop Obsidian (8.48). The author (@unclewebb) has implemented a date-based kill switch in most previous versions so that each version stops working after a given date. I'm thinking the kill switch date is typically around 6 months after release for each version, but unfortunately, the program doesn't tell you what it's drop dead date is going to be.

Obsidian is almost 6 months old now, and I don't see a new version yet. I don't know when it's going to quit working. I'm depending upon Throttlestop to run my Digital Audio Workstation without glitches, and I have a recording coming up on October 15th. I'm worried that Throttlestop 8.48 may stop before then, and then I'll be screwed. Running Windows 7, so I don't have the WinRing0 issue that some Windows 10 users are seeing.

Any ideas on when the next version of Throttlestop will be available, or on what the 'drop dead' date is for the 8.48 version?

Any chance future versions of Throttlestop could display their 'Kill switch' date so we would know ahead of time when we're going to need to update?

Thanks to Unclewebb for a great program!

David

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Thanks for the reminder. Looks like the Obsidian version expires on November 1. There should be an updated version ready in the next couple of weeks.

ThrottleStop uses a pretty simple expiry date check. If a version ever expires, just set your system date back a month, start ThrottleStop and then fix your date. Bit of a hassle but not the end of the world.

It looks like Microsoft changed their mind. As of the recent Windows 10 builds, the WinRing0 driver is no longer being blocked. I think they were just testing the waters to see if anyone still needs that driver.

David B.

Thanks for the quick reply, Unclewebb! I'll check for a new version in a couple of weeks, but at least I know I'm good until November. And the workaround just in case is nice to know. . .

exelquenoz

Hey, today is 1 november and my TS got this version has now expired. So how to fix this? should i change my windows time manually? but if i do that, maybe some error happen in another software. so where is the new version of TS? @unclewebb

bravotok

Hey, today is 1 november and my TS got this version has now expired. So how to fix this? should i change my windows time manually? but if i do that, maybe some error happen in another software. so where is the new version of TS? @unclewebb
By setting the time back to Sept.1st manually, my TS could work again.
Still I'm waiting for a latest version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reminder. Looks like the Obsidian version expires on November 1. There should be an updated version ready in the next couple of weeks.

ThrottleStop uses a pretty simple expiry date check. If a version ever expires, just set your system date back a month, start ThrottleStop and then fix your date. Bit of a hassle but not the end of the world.

It looks like Microsoft changed their mind. As of the recent Windows 10 builds, the WinRing0 driver is no longer being blocked. I think they were just testing the waters to see if anyone still needs that driver.

throttlestop is amazing creation by you i can only bow and be thankful but i dont understand why would anyone implement such a dumb function as "expiry date check" to that great piece of software. it is very annoying especialy when there is nothing wrong with that and currently there is no new version available. why would anyone want to update if it is working? this is litterary unnecessary drawback to a creation which i can call perfection.

solution is in this thread

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...now-expired-no-new-version-8-48.238362/page-2

big thanks to Michael_S

onroP

The Software is great, i use it on a Dell precision couz the CPU wont speed up to full Speed.

Now my question, whos the developer? This cant be real, you offer a Software to many people, they use it, count on it. Now boom, wont work. We need to update. Oh wait there is no update.

What you want? Money? Im willing to pay for a full Version that not expires.

EDIT:

here is a way you never need to update ur Software again.
Download Run as Date
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/run_as_date.html

Creat a Shortcut with the Date you wanna inject to Throttlestop. Add this Shortcut to your Autorun Folder in Windows.

And never have trouble again.

I understand that he wants feedback, a Version that dosent work anymore is the complete wrong way.

Last edited:
System Name Rocket
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard ASRock B450 PRO4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory HyperX Predator Black 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6GB
Storage ADATA SX8200 PRO 512GB + Intel 535 Series 120GB + WD 6400AAKS
Display(s) Benq EW2420
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Antec Signature 650
Software Win 10
You Turn off a working Software couz you too greedy.
This in completely unfair. :(
Kevin is one of the most altruistic person I've met in my 50 years. Even we're at opposite side of world it was a pleasure and honor to be his beta tester back in time.

Now I'm a sad Panda because your comment. :(

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit

onroP

This in completely unfair. :(
Kevin is one of the most altruistic person I've met in my 50 years. Even we're at opposite side of world it was a pleasure and honor to be his beta tester back in time.

Now I'm a sad Panda because your comment. :(

Than name one reason why you need to shut down a working software? There is not even a new version. Feedback, like this, really?

Thats how you ruin the reputation of a great piece of Software.

And it is nothing personal against the Autor, i just cant understand it.

Last edited:
System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
You have multiple easy work arounds, there will be a new version released soon. Be patient.

I think it's disgusting how impatient/ungrateful/entitled some people have acted (mostly erased now). Attitudes like that are a sure fire way to demotivate unclewebb, then you'd have no throttlestop at all.

Last edited:

elemileTLDR

I ran into a problem with the new version.

I'm running an i7-4940MX (Windows 8.1), and I can no longer set multipliers at will. Before I could profit from a stable 36 or so, but now as soon as I hit the turbo limit 34, my CPU jumps straight to 40, overheats for real (PROCHOT 99°) and throttles to under 30, rendering turbo mode useless.

Non Turbo Ratio is locked, so I can neither solve the problem that way.
I tried to revert to Obsidian with the hexadecimal edit fix, but the issue remains there.
I'm already undervolting to -100.6 mV (about the limit), but heat won't come down significantly.

Is there a workaround for this, or am I stuck at either 33 or full burning power?

EDIT: I managed for the time by setting Turbo Ratio Limits to 36 for all cores, but I'd still be nice to have full control of the multipliers on the go once again.

Last edited:

Encrypto

Dear Techpowerup,

I tried Throttlestop on a Macbook Pro Mid 2017 Kaby Lake 3.1 - 4.1 and oh my, what a lethal weapon it is now, of course the cooling on the Macbook is insufficient for full throttle at peak load. I set the multiplier at T41 and ran a single core test and achieved a max of 4.85ghz! I have written a review on Apple discussion forum, I bet your downloads will go through the roof, oops.

I totally understand why you make it expire. What I dont understand is why you do not charge an annual subscription for it. Then, channel that money into organisations in the countries where you are based to help the homeless. I believe this would be a major win win for all.

Take down the post of hacking Throttlestop with a hex editor.

A big thank you to Techpowerup team for such and amazing piece of software. Really hope you can keep it going.

Regards
Encrypto

Encrypto

Tornado is Released, OMG, thank you Kevin/Unclewebb

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared