• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

So the new RTX cards have been released with reviews...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Jack of all trades,master of none. Good for the company,but if a consumer has a very particular focus they'll likely go nvidia.

I miss ATI.

When I heard AMD was buying out ATI I had a mixed reaction.

I was like, on one side "maybe Ruby will finally go away..."

But the other side was like "but they've been making good high-end gaming GPUs and I don't want them to screw around with that."

In the end I cheered in joyous glee as Ruby dissolved away from their ads in a pile of boob goo and shallow storyline juice.

Fast forward, and sadly, I wish Ruby was still bouncing her boobs around here and we had high end altnernative GPUs.

What did getting rid of Ruby cost us?

Everything.

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C

Why would you even want that ? :cry:

I miss those weird ass looking boxes with their surreal art.

If anyone contemplates splurging on Turing, I would think waiting a bit for prices to settle down would be the smart thing to do. I mean, with the mining craze over, there's very little chance of prices going up. And if these collect enough dust on shelves, prices will have to "adjust".

1. That's a universal statement... been true with every new release.

2. Here in the US, we're looking at tariff's going from 10% to 30% in January

As for the tired old and silly "few games support it" comment

a) If you made a match.com profile would you add "pretty girls need not respond" because 7 outta the 10 pretty girls you asked out said no ?

b) Sir, would you please only show me only used cars without air conditioning cause I'll only use it 50-60 days a year ?

c) Let's not go to that franchise restaurant 10 miles east of town with no free drinks cause the one that's only 5 miles west, even tho it has better food, only offers free unlimited drinks with 30% of their menu;

d) I won't go to that delicatessen for my breakfast special cause. even tho their food is better, they give away a free lottery ticket and the odds of winning ar not that favorable. News Flash... 0% chance is less favorable.

When an extra feature is provided, especially if it doesn't cost anything that's not a bad thing. I remember an old THG review on PhyX back when it was worth reading (Pre Purch acquisition) on PhysX and it said something to the effect that it wasn't going to knock you out of your chair when you enable PhysX but once you use it, you are certainly not going to turn it off. I expect that once drivers are updated, games are written to use it, we will see most major titles incorporate it. The less popular titles are less likely to spend what's necessary to include it, but then again... most gamers are not buying most of those titles. Checking w/ my boys, youngest plays 15-16 games, middle guy about 7-8 and oldest 3-5.

When handicapping sports events, bookies will add a few points (3.5 typical for college football ... say 4 to get rid of the decimal) to the spread for the home team ... so a 20-17 game on a neutral field could be 24 -17 on one site and a 20-21 on the other. I look at these features the same way. If I am comparing two games, for story, game play, graphics, challenge ... whatever ... and they come up equal, the availability of extra features over the years .... i,e, PhyX, Ray Tracing, SLI / CF support gets extra points as it delivers an improved experience. You may not notice it "going in" ... but w/ PhysX for example, replaying the game where explosions don't produce debris, papers and leaves on the floor that don't move as you walk thu them, curtains that don't move... fog and steam that doesn't exist certainly detract from the game experience.

I had the same experience with IPS. Our 1st one was a Dell Ultrasharp as my son minored in Photography in college .... It was great for PhotoShop... sucked (IPS Glow / slow) for gaming.... he bought a TN panel and used dual monitors using the TN for gaming and IPS everything else. When he graduated and landed 1st job, treated himself to an Acer Predator with the 27" 165Hz 3 ms IPS screens ... his room mate got a 34' curved TN. I payed on both the same day, 1st the IPS ... in going to the curved, i was initially somewhat impressed by the sense of immersion but then going back to the IPS was like getting slapped hard in the face. All of a sudden the difference was so obvious ya find yaself wondering why at 1st glance it wasn't all that impressive. But after the experience, going back feels empty and washed out by comparison. I have the same attitude towards PhysX, I agree with the THG author, if it's available, you are certainly not going to play with it off. As far Ray Tracing, we're not in a position to know just yet. What baffles me is people's ability, for lack of a better word, to make a decision on something that have not yet experienced.

As for the cost ... The cost (in 2017 dollars) of the 'top card' since the year 2000 has ranged from $460 (GTX 285) to $992 (8800 Ultra)
https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/03/10/some_perspective_zarathustras_nvidia_price_history

The 1080 launched in May 2016 for $600.... inflation adds 5% and, I expect, add another 10% for the China tariff (30% in january)... that's $693. The TPU review puts the price of the RTX 2080 ($3 less than expected) at $699 and the FE at $799. Of course MSRPs are meaningless until one can actually buy the cards. Here's what I'd recommend. The Asus Vega 64 Strix is as low as $650 ($770 on newegg) ... The Asus 2080 is $870 ... That's a 50% increase in performance for a 34% increase in price.

Since nVidia could not keep up w/ demand during the mining craze, accelerated production, and then got caught with excess inventory when mining craze crashed and burned. So, the price of the 20xx will remain inflated until those cards are gone. And what are your other choices ? ... unless you need less than a 1060, AMD doesn't have a horse in the race.

a) Upgraders at 1080p can grab a 1060 / 1070 ... upgraders at 1440p can grab a 1070 / 1080.
b) Upgraders at 1440p 144 Hz and 2160p should stand pat unless money doesn't matter.
c) If doing a new build would advise waiting, but if one can't fight the itch, the 1080 isn't a bad choice but I expect there will be some buyers remorse when the AIB cards drop to $700. In US, probably more unless the tariffs don't go up.
d) Unless money is no object, or being the 1st on the block to have the latest shiny thing is really, really important let the Ti sit on the shelves.
e) Any consideration of purchasing 1st stepping cards should be made knowing that you may be one of these customers:
... you bought the EVGA 970 SC and the 1/3 of the heat sink "missed" the GPU
... you bought the 1060 - 1080 SC / FTW which didn't have thermal pads for VRMs and memory
... you bought one of the early MSI 9xx cards where the adhesive tape over the fan shroud was a bit to sticky and in removing it, you damaged the fan bearing.

Another thing ... I took special note of the review comments which said cards were power limited ... so one question I think is relevant is, "Why are AIBs providing power deliver systems capable of handling 375 watts (2080) and then limiting power to 260 watts . Why design the 2080 / 2080 Ti to handle 375 / 450 watts and then set the default to 260 / 300 and allow a boost only to 296 / 330 ? In the past, nVidia's strategy in response to a new AMD card was to introduce the xx80 Ti and then adjust the pricing of all the cards below 1 tier. Gotta wonder, will the next response to competition be to simply provide a new series using the same hardware with a BIOS upgrade increasing the power limit adjustment .

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
AMD have competed just fine, the only thing they have lost out in is the top, high end: ie: 1080ti. They were competitive all the way from the low end to 1070 and 1080 (Vega 56/64) just couldnt compete with 1080ti and let's face it, thats probably 5% of all NVIDIA users.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Why would you even want that ? :cry:

I miss those weird ass looking boxes with their surreal art.

Because it was transparent as hell.

Or I'm a SJW who wants to take all your fun away. Take your pick. :)

AMD have competed just fine, the only thing they have lost out in is the top, high end: ie: 1080ti. They were competitive all the way from the low end to 1070 and 1080 (Vega 56/64) just couldnt compete with 1080ti and let's face it, thats probably 5% of all NVIDIA users.

Flagship leader status affects total marketshare across the entire price gamut. Time tested principle.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
1. That's a universal statement... been true with every new release.

2. Here in the US, we're looking at tariff's going from 10% to 30% in January

As for the tired old and silly "few games support it" comment

a) If you made a match.com profile would you add "pretty girls need not respond" because 7 outta the 10 pretty girls you asked out said no ?

b) Sir, would you please only show me only used cars without air conditioning cause I'll only use it 50-60 days a year ?

c) Let's not go to that franchise restaurant 10 miles east of town with no free drinks cause the one that's only 5 miles west, even tho it has better food, only offers free unlimited drinks with 30% of their menu;

d) I won't go to that delicatessen for my breakfast special cause. even tho their food is better, they give away a free lottery ticket and the odds of winning ar not that favorable. News Flash... 0% chance is less favorable.

When an extra feature is provided, especially if it doesn't cost anything that's not a bad thing. I remember an old THG review on PhyX back when it was worth reading (Pre Purch acquisition) on PhysX and it said something to the effect that it wasn't going to knock you out of your chair when you enable PhysX but once you use it, you are certainly not going to turn it off. I expect that once drivers are updated, games are written to use it, we will see most major titles incorporate it. The less popular titles are less likely to spend what's necessary to include it, but then again... most gamers are not buying most of those titles. Checking w/ my boys, youngest plays 15-16 games, middle guy about 7-8 and oldest 3-5.

When handicapping sports events, bookies will add a few points (3.5 typical for college football ... say 4 to get rid of the decimal) to the spread for the home team ... so a 20-17 game on a neutral field could be 24 -17 on one site and a 20-21 on the other. I look at these features the same way. If I am comparing two games, for story, game play, graphics, challenge ... whatever ... and they come up equal, the availability of extra features over the years .... i,e, PhyX, Ray Tracing, SLI / CF support gets extra points as it delivers an improved experience. You may not notice it "going in" ... but w/ PhysX for example, replaying the game where explosions don't produce debris, papers and leaves on the floor that don't move as you walk thu them, curtains that don't move... fog and steam that doesn't exist certainly detract from the game experience.

I had the same experience with IPS. Our 1st one was a Dell Ultrasharp as my son minored in Photography in college .... It was great for PhotoShop... sucked (IPS Glow / slow) for gaming.... he bought a TN panel and used dual monitors using the TN for gaming and IPS everything else. When he graduated and landed 1st job, treated himself to an Acer Predator with the 27" 165Hz 3 ms IPS screens ... his room mate got a 34' curved TN. I payed on both the same day, 1st the IPS ... in going to the curved, i was initially somewhat impressed by the sense of immersion but then going back to the IPS was like getting slapped hard in the face. All of a sudden the difference was so obvious ya find yaself wondering why at 1st glance it wasn't all that impressive. But after the experience, going back feels empty and washed out by comparison. I have the same attitude towards PhysX, I agree with the THG author, if it's available, you are certainly not going to play with it off. As far Ray Tracing, we're not in a position to know just yet. What baffles me is people's ability, for lack of a better word, to make a decision on something that have not yet experienced.

As for the cost ... The cost (in 2017 dollars) of the 'top card' since the year 2000 has ranged from $460 (GTX 285) to $992 (8800 Ultra)
https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/03/10/some_perspective_zarathustras_nvidia_price_history

The 1080 launched in May 2016 for $600.... inflation adds 5% and, I expect, add another 10% for the China tariff (30% in january)... that's $693. The TPU review puts the price of the RTX 2080 ($3 less than expected) at $699 and the FE at $799. Of course MSRPs are meaningless until one can actually buy the cards. Here's what I'd recommend. The Asus Vega 64 Strix is as low as $650 ($770 on newegg) ... The Asus 2080 is $870 ... That's a 50% increase in performance for a 34% increase in price.

Since nVidia could not keep up w/ demand during the mining craze, accelerated production, and then got caught with excess inventory when mining craze crashed and burned. So, the price of the 20xx will remain inflated until those cards are gone. And what are your other choices ? ... unless you need less than a 1060, AMD doesn't have a horse in the race.

a) Upgraders at 1080p can grab a 1060 / 1070 ... upgraders at 1440p can grab a 1070 / 1080.
b) Upgraders at 1440p 144 Hz and 2160p should stand pat unless money doesn't matter.
c) If doing a new build would advise waiting, but if one can't fight the itch, the 1080 isn't a bad choice but I expect there will be some buyers remorse when the AIB cards drop to $700. In US, probably more unless the tariffs don't go up.
d) Unless money is no object, or being the 1st on the block to have the latest shiny thing is really, really important let the Ti sit on the shelves.
e) Any consideration of purchasing 1st stepping cards should be made knowing that you may be one of these customers:
... you bought the EVGA 970 SC and the 1/3 of the heat sink "missed" the GPU
... you bought the 1060 - 1080 SC / FTW which didn't have thermal pads for VRMs and memory
... you bought one of the early MSI 9xx cards where the adhesive tape over the fan shroud was a bit to sticky and in removing it, you damaged the fan bearing.

Another thing ... I took special note of the review comments which said cards were power limited ... so one question I think is relevant is, "Why are AIBs providing power deliver systems capable of handling 375 watts (2080) and then limiting power to 260 watts . Why design the 2080 / 2080 Ti to handle 375 / 450 watts and then set the default to 260 / 300 and allow a boost only to 296 / 330 ? In the past, nVidia's strategy in response to a new AMD card was to introduce the xx80 Ti and then adjust the pricing of all the cards below 1 tier. Gotta wonder, will the next response to competition be to simply provide a new series using the same hardware with a BIOS upgrade increasing the power limit adjustment .
Had fun reading this.

Anyway,the situation is weird here in PL since rtx 2080 is same price as 1080ti. To get a cheaper one you gottta get sth like 1080ti mini,and you only save a little.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Efficiency and reliability of the power delivery. Overclockers are no doubt a consideration but not the primary one.
As for limiting, Nvidia has been sticking exactly to the AIB specs for a long while now, that 260W TDP on 2080Ti FE is even a bit strange in this regard.

@Squiggy McPew, how is that Alienware's blower? My MSI's blower was godawful both in terms of noise as well as temperatures and resulting clocks, lower than FE cards :/

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

System Name Frankenstein
Processor i5 4670k oc 4.0
Motherboard MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo
Memory 2x GSkill Ares DDR3 1600 8gb 9-9-9-24 CL9
Video Card(s) Dell Alienware GTX 1080 ti(MSI Aero rebrand)
Storage Samsung 840 Pro SSD 512 gb 2x Seagate Constellation es.3 2 tb 7200 rpm sataIII in raid 0
Display(s) TCL 405 55" 4k HDR TV
Case Generic Black Rosewill Mid Tower ATX
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z pcie
Power Supply Rosewill Green Series 630 watt 24 amp 12v single rail 80+ Bronze
Mouse Steele Series Sensei Raw wired
Keyboard Generic Logitech KB120 wired
Software Lots!
Benchmark Scores Not as good as a newer pc but hey it runs everything 4k ultra so yay!
@Squiggy McPew, how is that Alienware's blower? My MSI's blower was godawful both in terms of noise as well as temperatures and resulting clocks, lower than FE cards :/

Looks like I broke a rule linking that card and they banned that account. My apologies to the mods was just trying to be helpful. :(

As to your question after setting the card to maximum power in the driver settings it boosts the gpu core to just over 1900mhz and the temps are in the 60~70c range running games like fortnite and conan exiles at 4k ultra. I have them locked at 60 since that's the tcl tv's refresh rate and unlocked frames are in the low hundreds but then the card spikes past 80c with the fan at 100%. Fan noise I can't hear but the case is under the desk and I use headphones. It may well perform less than say an evga with the acx coolers but I came from an evga gtx 960 ftw so its all gravy to me. :rockout:

When I heard AMD was buying out ATI I had a mixed reaction.
Not here, I was totally against it.
Really? What better way to show off your tech than with gloriously realistic bouncing boobies? Seriously the world's primary audience at the that time were males. While there are more women in gaming, it's still predominantly guys.
What did getting rid of Ruby cost us? Everything.
To be fair AMD has done well with ATI's asset's.
Or I'm a SJW who wants to take all your fun away. Take your pick. :)
You're funny!

I'm very certain that AMD has an answer in store for RTX. When and how good it is are the only questions.

To be fair AMD has done well with ATI's asset's.
A rather brave thesis... considering the tech quality and market share ATI had in 2006.

That's a good material for all the conspiracy theory believers on the forum. If AMD didn't buy ATI, we might still have a 50:50 dGPU market...
I'm very certain that AMD has an answer in store for RTX. When and how good it is are the only questions.
Well, there is another interesting questions.
How will all AMD fanboys react to AMD releasing Tensor and RT core alternatives?
We know what they said about RTX. :)
It seems Tensor alternative is in in development and could arrive with Navi already.

It was never 50/50. Ever.
Well... I don't remember exact figures, but I do remember ATI was leading around 2004, so this graph is plausible.

Well... I don't remember exact figures, but I do remember ATI was leading around 2004, so this graph is plausible.

There have been a few brief cross-over points, sure, but nothing sustained. It's important to remember at that time there were still a few smaller yet viable alternatives to ATI and NVidia. So a true 50/50 was not possible at that time.

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700X 8-Core 3.4Ghz
Motherboard ASRock X370 Taichi
Cooling Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT, 2x front Aerocool DS 140mm fans, 1x rear Aerocool DS 140mm fan
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Devil Vega 64
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB NVME SSD - Boot drive, Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD - Main storage
Display(s) Acer XG270HU Red 27" 1ms 144HZ WQHD 2K FreeSync Gaming Monitor
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB C-Type Blackout Edition (Non TG)
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GSP 301 Headset, Sennheiser Game Zero Special Edition Headset, Logitech Z623 System
Power Supply Seasonic AirTouch 850w 80 Plus Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Windows 10 Professional 64bit

Exactly. I mean wasn't the RX 580 one of the best selling GPUs like ever?

Anyways, the new RTX cards are not worth it for what they are- the RTX 2080ti offers a 80% price mark-up from the GTX 1080ti at only a 30% performance boost. Absolutely ridiculous. These cards aren't going to do well at the moment, but they are going to make the GTX and Vega cards plummet which I guess is a good thing for us.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Exactly. I mean wasn't the RX 580 one of the best selling GPUs like ever?

Anyways, the new RTX cards are not worth it for what they are- the RTX 2080ti offers a 80% price mark-up from the GTX 1080ti at only a 30% performance boost. Absolutely ridiculous. These cards aren't going to do well at the moment, but they are going to make the GTX and Vega cards plummet which I guess is a good thing for us.
I use 3 in trifire on a 50" 4k tv , for 660£ they give really good performance , the wattage sucks at 360 for all three but lots of fps for moderate clocks.
Not a bad choice for dx11 based games.

They sold a fair few it's fair to say.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Well, RX580 sales figures (and all others from the same time period) are going to be outliers, thanks to the mining boom. It was hardly business as usual for either AMD or nVidia.

That graph from 3/14 onwards really shows RTG's lack of innovation, though. Since R200 it's been tweaks, rebrands, tweaked rebrands and rebranded tweaks... oh look, a squirrel!

System Name DaBeast! DaBeast2!
Processor AMD AM4 Ryzen 9 5900X 12C24T/AMD AM4 RYZEN 9 3900X 12C/24T
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme/Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 360/Thermalright PA 120 SE
Memory 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16/2x 16GB Patriot Elite II DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX 24GB/Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT 16GB
Storage 500GB Crucial P3 Plus NVMe PCIe 4x4 + 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe PCIe 4x4 + TG Cardea Zero Z NVMe PCIe 4x4
Display(s) Samsung LC49HG90DMEX 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2/Acer XR341CK 75Hz 21:9 Freesync
Case CoolerMaster H500M/SOLDAM XR-1
Audio Device(s) iFi Micro iDSD BL + Philips Fidelio B97/FostexHP-A4 + LG SP8YA
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum/Enermax MAXREVO 1500
Mouse Logitech G703/Logitech G603 WL
Keyboard Logitech G613/Keychron K2
Software Win11 Pro/Win11 Pro
Jack of all trades,master of none. Good for the company,but if a consumer has a very particular focus they'll likely go nvidia.
Yeah, I hadn't quite thought of it that way, but yeah, that's the route AMD chose to go. AMD doesn't have the resources (monetary and manpower) to keep up with nVidia on the gaming front, but they do make pretty good gaming cards that are wallet friendly (can't blame them for the mining craze and inflated costs of their cards). Like now, after the mining craze, I can snag an RX 580 8GB for less than a GTX1060......but, I'm actually waiting for a VEGA to turn up at a more reasonable price.

Meanwhile, being an AMD fanboy isn't stopping me from getting nVidia cards since I do game a bit now that I'm retired. Snagged a used Leadtek GTX 1080 for 330'ish USD (great value in my neck of the woods) for use on my 4k TV.

Since I now have the time to play more games, I was thinking that the 2x R9 290X in my main rig isn't quite doing it for me (had to turn down some ingame setting due to 4GB VRAM limitation) @3440x1440. I had lunch with my friend (and his son) yesterday and we decided to pop in on a local tech mall as he'd wanted to get a couple of keyboards. I stumbled into one of the shops and was stunned at the number of RTX2080's and RTX 2080 Ti's that were on the shelves. Made an impulse buy and went for the cheapest RTX 2080 Ti available, a Palit RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Pro OC, cost me a pretty penny but I guess I'll make more use of it since I do have plenty of free time now.

Right now, AMD has nothing to match this card, but I'm hopeful that they would come out with something spectacular on the GPU front, much like what they'd done on the CPU front with Zen. Meanwhile, I'll be replacing the dual GTX Titan 6GB in my 3rd rig (selling off the cards) and replacing them with the dual R9 290X'es.....just so I can keep waving the AMD flag.

There have been a few brief cross-over points, sure, but nothing sustained. It's important to remember at that time there were still a few smaller yet viable alternatives to ATI and NVidia. So a true 50/50 was not possible at that time.
LOL you're really holding on to your theories. Was this graph a surprise or what? :)
Yes, you're right. I'm sure there wasn't a year where Nvidia sold 14818297 GPUs and AMD sold 14818297 as well. Nvidia might have sold 14818298, so not a 50:50 market.
And of course there is also Matrox! I'm sure they've easily sold like 17 cards.

Anyway, the period where the gap was around 10 percentage points was pretty much 3 years. That's 2 chip generations. I'd call that "sustained".

Was this graph a surprise or what? :)
I think you're putting way too much stock in this one graph, from one source. Got any more sources? And at the time Matrox had a healthy, if small, presence. Then you left out Intel and AMD inhouse GPU's. If you are going to compare GPU's that can be gamed on for the PC platform, you have to include all options, no matter how small.
Anyway, the period where the gap was around 10 percentage points was pretty much 3 years. That's 2 chip generations. I'd call that "sustained".
You can call it whatever you wish, by the graph you supplied, it doesn't look that way. Not even close.

Regardless, we're off topic, let's rope it back in..

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Those who spend over 500 on a consumer gpu need to rethink priorities and realize if bulk refuses to pay they will eventually have to drop prices

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700X 8-Core 3.4Ghz
Motherboard ASRock X370 Taichi
Cooling Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT, 2x front Aerocool DS 140mm fans, 1x rear Aerocool DS 140mm fan
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Devil Vega 64
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB NVME SSD - Boot drive, Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD - Main storage
Display(s) Acer XG270HU Red 27" 1ms 144HZ WQHD 2K FreeSync Gaming Monitor
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB C-Type Blackout Edition (Non TG)
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GSP 301 Headset, Sennheiser Game Zero Special Edition Headset, Logitech Z623 System
Power Supply Seasonic AirTouch 850w 80 Plus Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Windows 10 Professional 64bit
Those who spend over 500 on a consumer gpu need to rethink priorities and realize if bulk refuses to pay they will eventually have to drop prices

Slightly off subject, but do you think AMD's Navi cards will be resonanably priced to combat Nvidia's RTX cards?

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
Slightly off subject, but do you think AMD's Navi cards will be resonanably priced to combat Nvidia's RTX cards?

Yeah, AMD owns the middle low class card devision/s. they will be aiming at that again, OR rather assume they will or take a big leap over green team

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
LOL you're really holding on to your theories. Was this graph a surprise or what? :)
Yes, you're right. I'm sure there wasn't a year where Nvidia sold 14818297 GPUs and AMD sold 14818297 as well. Nvidia might have sold 14818298, so not a 50:50 market.
And of course there is also Matrox! I'm sure they've easily sold like 17 cards.

Don't worry about it, its obvious @lexluthermiester is in denial about AMD market/mindshare... RX580 sold like hotcakes, in spite of AMD still hovering around 30% market share regardless, and that includes cards sold to miners. No less than a couple of months ago, news hit of an 80-20 split on the discrete gaming market.

But hey, they sold fantastically. Market share soared from 27% in 2016 to 30% now - with some wishful thinking involved. In the meantime, RX x80 cards were hard to find for years while the 1060's were flying around in people's gaming rigs. If you look on any gaming related forum you can easily see the same 70-30 split (or worse, 80-20 or 90-10, never better) when it comes to number of topics about Nvidia cards as opposed to AMD cards. But, don't go on that either, it can't be credible, surely AMD sold more inferior product. If you look at Steam Survey, you can see an even worse number of RX480/580 cards compared to 1060's. And that's just 1060's...

Oh, and Lex also seems to know AMD has a perfect answer for Tensor / RTRT as well. I can't wait! :roll:

Stop mixing up wishful thinking with reality... Every trend completely counters everything you say here.