• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD to Detail Zen 2, Navi Architectures Come Hot Chips in August

Processor Ryzen 1700X
Motherboard Asus x370 Prime-Pro
Cooling MSI Frozr L (Push-Pull)
Memory 3000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Gigabyte OC
Storage 15TB of Mixed Storage
Display(s) 3440x1440
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX + Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply 750W
Honestly, there is a solution to everyone's fan problem.

1. A setting in motherboard bios that disables PCI-E 4.0 support and forces it to work in PCI-E 3.0 mode. You get half the performance and half the heat.

YAY.

which brings point B,, Silence Enthusiasts , a f£$%$£n niche in a niche is not worth a shit.
OK. Let's not call them "silence enthusiasts". Let's call them people who expect desktops to be quiet like they have been for the last few years. Suddenly we're talking about a big part of desktop buyers - both consumer and enterprise.
err unless you know some other version of f%^£$^n physics , yes , yes ,it is going to go that way, smaller and more dense electronic parts make More heat not the same and not less.

so some very advanced and technical shit like micro channel cooling is a possible way to do this but some part of it will need a FAN.
There's a better way as well. Getting rid of the "stylish" plastic garbage and focusing on functionality.

But assuming you're right and PCs start to require tiny fans on multiple small parts (at least: RAM, VRM, chipset, M.2 SSD) than it would mean the whole concept of "custom PCs" is falling apart. Motherboard standard will have to be redesigned. Parts are getting too hot for how we envisioned this decades ago.

OEM PCs won't need a fan on chipset or RAM or VRM. It'll just push more consumers out of the "custom" niche.
AND FINALLY, you saw a picture , thats all, you didnt test it or try it.

YOU HAVE NO CLUE HOW LOUD OR NOT THAT FAN IS at all and no idea why it's needed.
I have a clue about how much a silent 40-60mm fan costs. And this one is either cheap or they had to save money elsewhere (which sin't exactly conforming).

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
A fan is just a low cost solution for something that should be better engineered.
Basically, a lot of silence enthusiasts have just said "no" to this platform - even if they were initially lured by Zen2's efficiency.

And we'll see PCIe4.0 motherboards without a chipset fan in few months.

~50mm. Tiny.
Longevity is not a problem. Noise is.

You think this is OK? So you'll also be fine with DDR5 fans? Next-gen NVMe SSD fans? Where is this going?

Assuming a 7nm chipset would have solved this, then yes - it's definitely AMD's fault. But putting that aside, it's all on mobo makers. They should have provided a more clever way than a fan (which is likely the cheapest solution).

Also, for the PCIe 4.0 being so fast it needs cooling: I call b..shit.
Lately chipsets didn't even need a big heatsink - most motherboards have fairly flat, simple radiators.
I can't believe moving to PCIe 4.0 adds so much heat that they couldn't do it with a better passive solution.

Good things these chips will run X470, B450, and likely X370 others. No fans needed there. PCIE 3.0 will be just fine for those who like silence.

OK. Let's not call them "silence enthusiasts". Let's call them people who expect desktops to be quiet like they have been for the last few years. Suddenly we're talking about a big part of desktop buyers - both consumer and enterprise.

Also, what makes you think these will be batshit loud?

System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
And to think it was ATi with their cool Xpress3200/SB600 north/south bridge duo, that saved us from nV's overheating nForce 4 on s939 platform (still remember all those charred PCBs under small radiators). Now they create little heating devices that actually need a fan to be able to work properly.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
This news piece is purely about the uarch & the Silicon, launch is in Q3 so I guess anytime between July & Sept?

Also depends if they are talking fiscal Q3 or calendar Q3. Not the same.

Edit: Since fiscal q3 is almost up, guess that narrows it down lol

Maybe this fun won't works most of the time? If it's there only to prevent overheat it's OK for me, most of users already gonna have GPU's the will blow air on it, only the the ones with WB on GPU or bad airflow the fan will active?

X58 chipset ran without fan runs to 85C, 24W

Noone gives a F*.

Now again whining? Get a life peps... it is nothing THAT BAD.

Proof.

View attachment 123183

Correct, with the exception of EVGA's X58 SLI. The X58 IOH chipset coolers on most boards blocked the top expansion slot. That position allowed the coolers to stand much taller than if they were to the right of the PCI-E, as the latter would then block installation of longer add in cards such as a GPU. Also just typing the search term "X58 IOH" brings up a dozen results of users complaining about chipset temperatures on X58, and judging by the extremely overbuilt solutions from some vendors (including bolt-on upgrades in some cases) I would say the thermal situation was anything but good.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506

There's a better way as well. Getting rid of the "stylish" plastic garbage and focusing on functionality.

But assuming you're right and PCs start to require tiny fans on multiple small parts (at least: RAM, VRM, chipset, M.2 SSD) than it would mean the whole concept of "custom PCs" is falling apart. Motherboard standard will have to be redesigned. Parts are getting too hot for how we envisioned this decades ago.

OEM PCs won't need a fan on chipset or RAM or VRM. It'll just push more consumers out of the "custom" niche.

I have a clue about how much a silent 40-60mm fan costs. And this one is either cheap or they had to save money elsewhere (which sin't exactly conforming).
1 Yes because thats going to be the biggest fan in that silent system now is'nt it, mind blown by your knowledge, you know this how?

2 your better way"Getting rid of the "stylish" plastic garbage and focusing on functionality." IS WISHY WASHY TOTAL BALLS, try again most boards have a simple heatsink there ,no more.

3 "the whole concept of "custom PCs" is falling apart." It is, the time is fast approaching when we cannot afford the parts we would need and will have to rent the tech, 10-20 year's.

4 "OEM PCs won't need a fan on chipset" Oem pc's are not custom, there spec is set the Nvme drives and all attached hardware will be specc'd to accomodate their build, A custom PC Could have 4x NVME at 6GB/sec each plus technically 3-4 pciex full of 4xnvme drives as a worse case , they don't want their parts to fail prematurely.

5 you Have no clue and are now lieing, no one here knows how loud that fan is at all.

6 Bye

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Correct, with the exception of EVGA's X58 SLI. The X58 IOH chipset coolers on most boards blocked the top expansion slot. That position allowed the coolers to stand much taller than if they were to the right of the PCI-E, as the latter would then block installation of longer add in cards such as a GPU. Also just typing the search term "X58 IOH" brings up a dozen results of users complaining about chipset temperatures on X58, and judging by the extremely overbuilt solutions from some vendors (including bolt-on upgrades in some cases) I would say it wasn't good.

These large 60-70mm fans look like a mature solution to me... the basic idea... we've seen worst, eating twice the power.

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
Please dont feed the regular anti-amd trolls doing what they do best, the thread was not about 2 pictures of MSI boards that may or may not be correct and was indeed about AMD detailing Navi and Zen2 at Hot Chips. Seriously it doesn't matter how good AMD does they will still be here nit picking at everything they can imagine with their intel blinkers on thinking they are superior to everyone else. Honestly the mods should crack down on it cause it's regular posters in the same threads saying the same things week in and week out with the sole purpose of flame baiting people into arguments. I did think about quoting and replying but then I realised I would enjoy sticking needles in my eyes than trying to argue with the clueless. Now I don't see any of it unless I click the "show ignored content" I call it the unhide BS button. Blissful! :nutkick::clap:

1 Yes because thats going to be the biggest fan in that silent system now is'nt it, mind blown by your knowledge, you know this how?
Small fans tend to spin faster and generate more noise than big ones. How can you not know this?
If this chipset really can't be cooled passively, i.e. it pulls 30W+, this 50mm fan will have to spin at 2000-3000 rpm.
4 "OEM PCs won't need a fan on chipset" Oem pc's are not custom, there spec is set the Nvme drives and all attached hardware will be specc'd to accomodate their build, A custom PC Could have 4x NVME at 6GB/sec each plus technically 3-4 pciex full of 4xnvme drives as a worse case , they don't want their parts to fail prematurely.
OEM PCs have properly designed cooling solutions with guided airflow. Custom PCs don't - they have expensive AiOs and gigantic aircoolers to compensate.
And now they'll also have tiny chipset fans, because motherboard designers simply can't assume you'll have enough airflow in the case.
They have to prepare for the worst case scenario which is: an AiO with radiator mounted to the case ceiling and poor intake fans in the front. The funny thing about chipset is: it may be under heavy load when CPU isn't, so AiO will run at minimal speed.
These large 60-70mm fans look like a mature solution to me... the basic idea... we've seen worst, eating twice the power.
50-55mm. It's not that hard to measure.

Please dont feed the regular anti-amd trolls doing what they do best, the thread was not about 2 pictures of MSI boards that may or may not be correct and was indeed about AMD detailing Navi and Zen2 at Hot Chips
You don't seem very interested in the launch as well. Why don't you write a comment about it instead of mocking people? :)

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Small fans tend to spin faster and generate more noise than big ones. How can you not know this?

You are so wrong with that... it is just exactly as you order them be.

A tiny fan on the chipset. That's just sad.

Also, how is this possible on Zen in particular? For 2 years I've been hearing how Zen being a SoC is so great because the chipset has hardly any function (hence it's cheap and so on).
What happened between X470 and X570 that they suddenly need a fan? PCIe4.0 controller?

A ~40mm slim fan - perfect addition to your cool and quiet - power efficient - Zen2 system.

Isn't x570 supposed to be in-house amd chipset, rather than asmedia made before that (all other AM4 chipsets). Not that it have anything to do with the matter, but it sure takes more power than it asmedia made predecessor.

Processor Ryzen 1700X
Motherboard Asus x370 Prime-Pro
Cooling MSI Frozr L (Push-Pull)
Memory 3000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Gigabyte OC
Storage 15TB of Mixed Storage
Display(s) 3440x1440
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX + Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply 750W
Speaking of which, I forgot all about it, but buildzoid did say that the chipset gets hot only at very specific conditions (I'm assuming 100% load). It's in this vid.

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
So they give you a high performance chipset, and people are mad about fans?? Since when were computer enthusiasts mad about fans?? Since when is computers requiring fans bad engineering?

If you're into extreme low noise, pull the stock heat sync off and put a beefier one on that can be cooled by your case fans, jeez.

Buncha trolls.

Processor 2700x
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) GTX 1080Ti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000W Titanium
I really do not like fans on motherboard.

Either grabbing existing X470 board or B550 may be wiser choice for those who are concerned with fan noise.

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
@notb

In my collection I have 135mm supposedly quiet fans that are noisy (and have a grinding noise from new) and 60mm ceramic bearing fans that are virtually silent.

Lets wait for reviews before casting around wild allegations.

@The Lighthouse

Another thing to consider is that likely the chipset will only pull a lot of power when doing stuff, if one has a PCIe4 M.2 doing e.g. 6GB/s on the CPU M.2 slot, will most folks need another one or two on the chipset? (Which will max out at the same PCIe4 x4 total bandwidth anyway).

Either way, this will still be more storage speed than the competitor can provide at the moment or are their PCIe4 boards also going to be launched soon?

Last edited:
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1240v2 @3.4 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory Kingston HyperX Genesis 4x4GB @1600 MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050 Ti FTW ACX 3.0 4GB
Storage Crucial BX500 120 GB / WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) Dell P2419H
Case Deepcool Smarter /w 2x Arctic P12 PWM
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z + Edifier R1000T4
Power Supply BitFenix Formula Gold 550W
Mouse Microsoft WMO 1.1A
Keyboard IBM KB-8926
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Turns on on the first try! Usually.
I wonder if it could have been done by heatpiping the cooler or having a more conventional heatsink with fins, not just the aluminum chunk that it is now. Would probably not go down well with the "gamer" aesthetic.
I mean they probably did what they needed to do in order to keep the noise minimal. I take it TPU review will give their experience on the noise while testing.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
I wonder if it could have been done by heatpiping the cooler or having a more conventional heatsink with fins, not just the aluminum chunk that it is now. Would probably not go down well with the "gamer" aesthetic.
There is no reason to wonder, this has been done successfully for decades, you can still see it on server motherboards and some workstation motherboards.
Unfortunately most "mainstream" motherboards these days are geared towards teenagers, with fancy RGB LEDs and "heat sinks" covered in plastic or no real fins, despite most buyers being grownups who don't care how it looks, but definitely cares about reliability, noise, etc.
-----
I assume the extra heat of the chipset was not intentional, but doing a respin would cause too much delay.

Processor 2700x
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) GTX 1080Ti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000W Titanium
Another thing to consider is that likely the chipset will only pull a lot of power when doing stuff, if one has a PCIe4 M.2 doing e.g. 6GB/s on the CPU M.2 slot, will most folks need another one or two on the chipset? (Which will max out at the same PCIe4 x4 total bandwidth anyway).

Either way, this will still be more storage speed than the competitor can provide at the moment or are their PCIe4 boards also going to be launched soon?

Yes now to think about it, the fan does not have to turn on all the time.

I hope the fan won't turn on if I don't use any of these silly M.2 SSDs (they are so expensive to begin with). My current PC only has SATA SSDs and I tend to keep them in a way.

Need more info about Threadripper 3! They should make it like Intel's x599 but at typical AMD price points.

@notb

In my collection I have 135mm supposedly quiet fans that are noisy (and have a grinding noise from new) and 60mm ceramic bearing fans that are virtually silent.

Lets wait for reviews before casting around wild allegations.
It's not a wild allegation. Small and cheap fan on a 30W chip is not something we don't see everywhere around us. It's called Intel stock cooler.

Yes, this tiny fan could be silent if it had cost $10.
Yeah, but what's the point? It's a consumer platform. Hardly anyone will use the PCIe 4.0 potential X570 is rumored to provide. But everyone will have a small fan like in the 90s.
This is the same argument as always. You can mock "the competitor" on losing in benchmarks and specs, but they make a mature, purpose-built ecosystem. They deliver in friendliness and practicality.
One can make any PC more faster by adding fans, hence allowing a larger power draw. It doesn't mean it's always a good idea.

If one has loud components or doesn't care, a 50mm chipset fan won't make a difference - I totally agree.

But look around you on all these people spending hundreds of USD on fanless PSUs, better GPU coolers and premium case fans. All that becomes obsolete. They'll now have a 50mm high rpm fan. It'll be the loudest part in their PCs.
And if it turns out the fan is spinning slowly, hence silent, it'll mean it wasn't necessary in the first place.

Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
Maybe slightly off topic, but hey...

Source: https://videocardz.com/80714/msi-mpg-x570-series-leaked-gaming-pro-carbon-gaming-plus
Disappointing board by MSI. Not Type-C front panel header but lots of useless RGB, when the chipset has USB 3.1 native support. :mad: :kookoo:

Processor RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Aorus B-550I Pro AX
Cooling HEATKILLER IV PRO , EKWB Vector FTW3 3080/3090 , Barrow res + Xylem DDC 4.2, SE 240 + Dabel 20b 240
Memory Viper Steel 4000 PVS416G400C6K
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVMe + Samsung 980 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case NR 200
Power Supply CORSAIR SF750
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Keyboard Meletrix Zoom 75 GT Silver
Software Windows 11 22H2
Hey you forgot it's AMD, there's no way they're doing anything wrong, it's not like we're talking about intel here.
/sarcasm

How do you know AMD is doing something wrong here bro , simply by looking at a bunch of pics ? Cut this nonsense off please you are embarasing yourself !