• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X Beats Intel Core i9-10980XE by 24% in 3DMark Physics

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
They'll hit a wall at maybe 20% market share and then what?
Even if you're correct (which I'm skeptical,) that's a lot of money in the server market.

The numbers is way to low for 10980 XE, my 7980 XE at 4.5Ghz are doing 34k CPU score.

and the benchmark cant use more than 16 core.

Not wasn't always more expensive.
I'm pretty sure it was.
And in the Athlon days the gap was absurdly huge. Much larger than today.
You just don't remember.
I remember very well because that was the last (and only) time I bought an AMD CPU. And the last time I overclocked. It was fantastic value.
Maybe you had forgotten what AMD is but not all people so please speak for yourself only.
I can sense your AMD-coloured heart is in pain, but you have to focus and get yourself together! Everything is going to be all right!
In the earlier comment I sad "most", not everyone. I'm pretty sure you remembered and your AMD altar at home gave you hope. ;)

Find 10 friends who aren't PC geeks (normal people: they mostly use smartphones, maybe a laptop at work etc). Maybe your parents, neighbours, hairdresser?
Ask them about Intel and AMD. You'll see I'm right - even after 2.5 years of Ryzen praise in the PC community.
Your arguments have no value or meaning. For you, Intel was always expensive and it should stay that way, because why would it change? You don't understand this and I'm not going to explain it.
I only said that Intel doesn't have to offer the same (or better) performance/price as AMD. That's it. You went berserk.
Hit a wall with 20%? Ignorance is bliss and yours is beyond believe. It is way different. You will see soon :)
OK. I'll remind you this comment when their market share starts to drop. You have my word. :)

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
And the AMD CPU even used quite slow RAM, so there could be more performance to be had.
The key here is that a none HEDT chip from AMD beat up a high end HEDT chip from Intel.
So with that said, I wonder how much more faster the new Threadripper HEDT chips are going to be?
AMD is on the right track..................... :peace:

Even if you're correct (which I'm skeptical,) that's a lot of money in the server market.
Of course. I never said it isn't.
But that's revenue, not earnings. AMD is not making money - that's the problem.
And to start making money, they'll have to raise their prices - which will stop their expansion.

From consumers' point of view an 80-20 market will be fine (Intel won't be able to ask too much).
And from AMD's point of view: they'll be able to achieve that with limited offer - focusing on datacenters and consoles / gaming desktops.
They won't have to spend a lot on developing their mobile lineup or trying other niches (which Intel has to do, hence: Optane, IoT, drones etc)

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
3DMark................ Fire Strike............ base? Extreme? Ultra? Looks like base.

Anyway, here is a 16c/32t 7960x at 4.4 GHz all c/t DDR4 3600...33.3K.

That score for the Intel seems low, honestly. Those all core boost speeds must be really low for the AMD part to beat it out by "24%" and have two more cores/four more threads. I wouldn't think a few hundred MHz could trump 2c/4t more... but AMD's SMT efficiency is better. I just find it interesting that at the same/similar clocks, the 3950x (barely) loses here with a generation old CPU. Sure, memory can play a role, but it isn't making up the ~4% difference between the two platforms between the 7960x and 3950x.

(and for the record, I am only talking about performance here, not price. We get it... it's cheaper... but I'm calling out the odd performance data on the Intel part).

EDIT: And I don't think anyone gives a shit in this thread about market share and whatever ya'll are droning on about...

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
And to start making money, they'll have to raise their prices - which will stop their expansion.

From consumers' point of view an 80-20 market will be fine (Intel won't be able to ask too much).
And from AMD's point of view: they'll be able to achieve that with limited offer - focusing on datacenters and consoles / gaming desktops.
They won't have to spend a lot on developing their mobile lineup or trying other niches (which Intel has to do, hence: Optane, IoT, drones etc)
I agree, but that entirely depends on how long it takes Intel to shift gears.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
I'm pretty sure it was.
And in the Athlon days the gap was absurdly huge. Much larger than today.
I guess we remember different things. And you should be more specific with the Athlon. There had been quite line-up for few years and I bet you didnt look through all of the products.
I can sense your AMD-coloured heart is in pain, but you have to focus and get yourself together! Everything is going to be all right!
In the earlier comment I sad "most", not everyone. I'm pretty sure you remembered and your AMD altar at home gave you hope. ;)

Find 10 friends who aren't PC geeks (normal people: they mostly use smartphones, maybe a laptop at work etc). Maybe your parents, neighbours, hairdresser?
Ask them about Intel and AMD. You'll see I'm right - even after 2.5 years of Ryzen praise in the PC community.
I understand this is a mockery towards me. :) Funny, that last week I was called Intel fanboy now I've got an AMD colored heart. :)
You lemmings crack me up :) and you better stop while you still can.
OK. I'll remind you this comment when their market share starts to drop. You have my word.
For now it is growing. When you will remind me? In 2 years when Intel moves to 7nm? Next year? when? Please don't bother.
OMG this one is unbelievable. You really think AMD is not making money with Ryzens? How did you get to that conclusion? please share? So I suppose Intel is earning a lot and with the new gen even more.
Probably that's because Intel is going monolithic. Yes that must be it. AMD's chiplets are crap and cost twice as much, way more than Intel's design. So now Intel is dropping price for its processors to kill AMD with this. Yes and revenue has nothing to do with profits. Actually higher revenue means the company is not getting any profit it means the company is losing money.
Please stop this madness.

Last edited:
System Name 3 "rigs"-gaming/spare pc/cruncher
Processor R7-5800X3D/i7-7700K/R9-7950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VI Extreme/Asus Ranger Z170/Asus ROG Crosshair X670E-GENE
Cooling Bitspower monoblock ,custom open loop,both passive and active/air tower cooler/air tower cooler
Memory 32GB DDR4/32GB DDR4/64GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6900XT Alphacooled/AMD RX5700XT 50th Aniv./SOC(onboard)
Storage mix of sata ssds/m.2 ssds/mix of sata ssds+an m.2 ssd
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2410 , HP 24x
Case mb box/Silverstone Raven RV-05/CoolerMaster Q300L
Audio Device(s) onboard/onboard/onboard
Power Supply 3 Seasonics, a DeltaElectronics, a FractalDesing
Mouse various/various/various
Keyboard various wired and wireless
VR HMD -
Software W10.someting or another,all 3
Do we need a new metric along the lines of watt/calculations?

Processor AMD Threadripper 3690x
Motherboard MSI TRX40 Pro 10G
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB (2x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Turbo OC
Storage 2x 1TB Intel 970 Pro NVM
Display(s) Dell U2415m x2
Case Fractal Define XL R2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Hyper X G6
Power Supply 800 Watt Fractal Design Newton R3
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX-3.0 - Black Keys
Software Win 10 Edu
I

Intel still comfortably outsells AMD, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Because the gap was too large.

I mean... seriously... do I have to paste a supply-demand graph or what?
What exactly do you struggle to understand? I'll try to focus on that part.

I just looked at the sales numbers for Asia, EU & US and the numbers are saying that AMD is shipping more CPU's... so...

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Intel's CPU shortage from August last year is expected to continue.

Techspot said:
Last April, Intel warned that its CPU shortage -- which kicked off in August 2018 -- would persist until Q3, with subsequent reports signaling that the 14nm CPU drought could ease up by June. Fast forward to Q4, over a year removed from the start of Intel's supply woes, and the shortage is expected to persist for at least one or two more quarters.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
You buy a CPU for it's performance. AMD offers that same great performance for less then Intel's offerings. The time of change is here now. AMD always bin the underdog since the A64, now it's turned tables.

OC'ing is still there with AMD CPU's, you need a bit of expertise on what your doing and you still need better cooling compared to stock. That way you can extract the best out of PBO or DIY with a all core overclock (or various CCX's for that matter).
And gain a whopping, what, 2% more then the CPU will do on their own with auto settings? AMD already has their OC dialed in really well, or conversely, they have already pushed the ryzen arch as fast as it will go without LN2.

I just looked at the sales numbers for Asia, EU & US and the numbers are saying that AMD is shipping more CPU's... so...

I would love to see those numbers. Could you please provide a source or link, it is really hard to get accurate current figures without paying a ton for them.

halo9

Would not want to be the Intel boss trying to explain to stockholders why they stopped innovating all these years and now are being Bulldozed big time by AMD.

I don't think they stopped innovating at all, I think they twiddled their thumbs for so long without competition that now when they need to innovate, they have forgotten how too. I do think the fire has been lit now beneath some arses and things are starting to move again. The next few years look good for all PC users : )

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
Aint nobody cares about 3d Mark physics.it's a benchmark where 2700 x beats 9700 k so you can't find a more irrelevant one if you tried.

OMG this one is unbelievable. You really think AMD is not making money with Ryzens? How did you get to that conclusion? please share? So I suppose Intel is earning a lot and with the new gen even more.
Probably that's because Intel is going monolithic. Yes that must be it. AMD's chiplets are crap and cost twice as much, way more than Intel's design. So now Intel is dropping price for its processors to kill AMD with this. Yes and revenue has nothing to do with profits. Actually higher revenue means the company is not getting any profit it means the company is losing money.
Please stop this madness.

Yes, AMD is making a profit, but not much of one. For the 2nd quarter of 2019 (the latest quarter with released numbers), AMD had $1.53B in revenue and $59M in operating income (profit) and $35M in net income (profit).

And yes, Intel makes a ton more money than them. For the same quarter Intel made $16.5B in revenue and $4.6B in net income (profit).

Obviously Intel is a much larger company, my point is that Intel is in no danger of going under anytime soon. AMD can't get enough processors from TSMC to replace Intel. With the demand for TSMC's 7nm node, from other companies including Apple, they can't get enough chips to over take Intel in market share. Their goal is to get above the 25% they had in the Opteron days. And that would be impressive, considering they were in the single digits last year (in servers).

Last edited:
Aint nobody cares about 3d Mark physics.it's a benchmark where 2700 x beats 9700 k so you can't find a more irrelevant one if you tried.
A 2700x SHOULD beat a 9700k in this man.

You are comparing an 8c/16t part to an 8c/8t part in a benchmark that uses all cores and threads. What did you expect?

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT

You are comparing an 8c/16t part to an 8c/8t part in a benchmark that uses all cores and threads. What did you expect?
I expected nothing cause it's a synthetic benchmark.I expected it shouldn't make news.

Yeah, and you should definitely show us the Mindfactory graph as well.

It's really not rocket science:
AMD 2019Q2 revenue: $1.53B
Intel 2019Q2 revenue: $16.5B

So you can:
a) think this over
OR
b) convince me that over 90% of Intel's revenue comes from products other than CPUs.

And what did we expect in 3950X vs 10980XE? Even putting aside the fact that 10980XE's score is weirdly low.
Zen SMT implementation works very well in some tasks (much better than Intel's) and very badly in others.
This is why in so many benchmarks and apps Ryzen's actually get better marks with SMT disabled. It's very rare with Intel.

In real life this will be mixed and these CPUs should compete pretty well.
Of course Intel is HEDT, so you need expensive motherboards and so on.
3950X may work on a cheap mobo... but most people will buy an expensive X570 anyway, so it's pretty even.

And what did we expect in 3950X vs 10980XE? Even putting aside the fact that 10980XE's score is weirdly low.
Zen SMT implementation works very well in some tasks (much better than Intel's) and very badly in others.
This is why in so many benchmarks and apps Ryzen's actually get better marks with SMT disabled. It's very rare with Intel.

In real life this will be mixed and these CPUs should compete pretty well.
Of course Intel is HEDT, so you need expensive motherboards and so on.
3950X may work on a cheap mobo... but most people will buy an expensive X570 anyway, so it's pretty even.
Odd echo in here for the most part. :p

That said, both AMD and Intel, when SMT/HT is disabled, BOTH get better FPS in some games. I don't know if/how that translates into productivity or other apps that don't use all cores and threads, but both exhibit this behavior similarly in some games. To that end, it won't come close to making a 9700k compete with a 2700x in this test IF disabling XMP actually improves anything here.

I just want to figure out what the all core clock is on the new Intel part and the 3950x. That should clear things up a bit.

I expected nothing cause it's a synthetic benchmark.I expected it shouldn't make news.
LOL, maybe, but the point was a 2700x SHOULD walk a 9700K, contrary to your apparent surprise. ;)

Processor Raptor Lake 13700K
Motherboard Asus Z690
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz CAS16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4070 Ti
Display(s) Samsung C32HG70 - 32" 1440p
Case Silverstone GD-07B
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen - Sennheiser HD595
One test result from 2 unreleased processors, unknown source or testing standards.

Just remember to fill your mouth with a 40% saltwater solution and gargle the star spangled banner before reading this.

Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
Last edited:
And people call AMD hot. o_O o_O
FX 9590 consumes less power at 5Ghz than this.
You do realize that hot and power consumption are different things, right? For example, let's take fire... let's compare a lighter and a bonfire, both with yellow flames...which do you think would be more difficult to put out (has more energy)... even though the temps are the same?

I've had a 90C 5W IC and my 200W CPU runs cooler....while associated, don't let it fool you... the processor will still run where it is supposed to. ;)

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
You do realize that hot and power consumption are different things, right? For example, let's take fire... let's compare a lighter and a bonfire, both with yellow flames...which do you think would be more difficult to put out... even though the temps are the same.

I've had a 90C 5W IC and my 200W CPU runs cooler....
Opps.:p

System Name 1.FortySe7en VR rig 2. intel teliscope rig 3.MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .
Processor 1.3900x @stock 2. i7 7700k @5. 3. i7 7700hq
Motherboard 1.aorus x570 ultra 2. z270 Maximus IX Hero
Cooling 1.Hard tube loop, cpu and gpu 2. Hard loop cpu and gpu
Memory 1.Gskill neo @3600 32gb 2.hyperxfury 32gb @3000 3. 16gb hyperx @2400
Video Card(s) 1.GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC WaterForce WB 2. Aorus RTX2080 3. 1060 3gb. Arc 770LE 16 gb
Storage 1 M.2 500gb , 2 3tb HDs 2. 256gb ssd, 3tbHD 3. 256 m.2. 1tb ssd
Display(s) 1.LG 50" UHD , oculus rift S.2 MSI Optix MAG342C UWHD. SONY bravia 1080p, . 3.17" 120 hz display
Case 1. Thermaltake P5 2. Thermaltake P3
Audio Device(s) 1 Onboard 2 Onboard 3 Onboard
Power Supply 1.seasonic gx 850w 2. seasonic gx 750w
Mouse 1 ROG Gladius 2 Corsair m65 pro
Keyboard 1. ROG Strix Flare 2. Corsair F75 RBG 3. steelseries RBG
VR HMD rift and rift S and Quest 2.
Software 1. win10 pro 2. win10 pro 3, win10 home
Benchmark Scores 1.7821 cb20 ,cb15 3442 1c 204 cpu-z 1c 539 12c 8847 2. 1106 cb 3.cb 970
this is rubbing salt into my cuts , daughters car has popped its engine today and ive just 10mins ago gave my 3950x money for a deposit for another one, woe is life your flying high and something kicks us in the gutts :banghead: . ive still got hope but my 2700x is going to last me a wee bit longer.
the 3950x is looking good.