• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thoughts about Dual PSU Setup

TheMafioso

Processor Intel core2duo e4300
Motherboard ASUS P5B Vanilla
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x512MB DDR2 Kingston 667MHZ
Video Card(s) BBA Radeon X850XT
Storage 2x80GB Seagate/Samsung
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 19" 955DF
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy Gamer / Inspire t6060 5.1 Speakers
Hi Guys,

I recently upgraded to a new system, that is proving quite a burden on my old 450W PSU, so I am thinking of going for Dual PSU Setup, since I don't have much cash left for purchase of high end PSU, after the purchase of new system...

I came across this product while searching for Dual PSUs :
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21193

Its a pre-made Dual PSU 24-Pin Adapter cable from Ultra meant for Daisy Chaining two 24-Pin PSUs...
It seems a pretty easy job with this cable to install a Dual PSU setup, without the messy cutting, striping, etc required for dual PSUs.

So I wanted to know, is it really this easy as it seems....I know there would be some problems in placing and for the power cable of secondry PSU in the case, and maybe some noise issues...but apart from that, anyother issues that should I know of...

Regards,

System Name Ma Biatch
Processor i7 860
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3A
Cooling Noctua
Memory 8gb (4x2gb) G-Skill
Video Card(s) GTX 470
Storage WD5000aaks raid0
Display(s) Sony Bravia 37" 1080p
Case CM 690
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX520
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
im not too sure tbh but i wouldnt bother installing 2 low end/generic psu's in a system and would spend a little bit of $ on a half-decent SINGLE psu, you dont even have to break the bank, im sure for around $70-$100 you could get a psu thats decent enough to cope with your system, cheap generic psu's are a no-no, and you could well be asking for trouble :shadedshu

TheMafioso

Cooling Stock
^^As I said, I recently got my whole system upgraded, and infact did little overspend of the initial budget i've had thought...so 'am really outa cash

Actually the system is on a sort of okay PSU even now.....no issues as such, just that 12V line voltage drops sometimes low(measured with DMM also) when on load and mild OC...so was thinkin of setting up dual PSU's before I get into serious OCing...So wanted thoughts from anyone already having/having used a dual PSU setup..

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
wait till you get about 150 to 200 bucks and check newegg.com out. If you get a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610 or the Quad 750...youll be oodles and caboodles better than a dual psu setup. Recently, Polywell had a cpu using to FSP (Fortronics PSUs I believe) 700W power supplies to power a QX6700, dual 8800GTX in SLI and a bunch of other niceties. The thing about dual PSUs is, the second PSUs power isnt evenly distributed and used to its fullest. So basically, its running up your energy bill and not being fully utilized. I hope this helps you out. Its in this months magazine (Mar 2007) of MaximumPC.

D

Deleted member 24505

the mafioso,if you could fill in your system spec on the usercp it would help :D

Khriez

Hey what would happen if I just plug in two power supplies, and without doing any modding or anything just plug in the second power supply into my video card ? Too scared to try :eek:

ktr

It would be fine, the only thing is that you plug it all in to the same surge protector, so the the grounding voltages dont differ.

Namslas90

Hey what would happen if I just plug in two power supplies, and without doing any modding or anything just plug in the second power supply into my video card ? Too scared to try :eek:

Use a paper clip to short black and green wire on 20(4) pin connector to fire up PSU, or buy the cable doubler you talked about earlier.

Better off with one good PSU to power everything as stated earlier.

Khriez

Ok cool I was worrying that both 20 (or 24) pin connectors of the two Power supplies had to be both connected to each other and into the motherboard. I thought some weird electrical kind of problem would happen since the video card is plugged into the same motherboard, but it's getting it's power from a different power supply.

I was thinking the card might get too much power from the secondary power supply and it would break my whole computer.

Not sure if that made any sense.

Use a paper clip to short black and green wire on 20(4) pin connector to fire up PSU, or buy the cable doubler you talked about earlier.

Better off with one good PSU to power everything as stated earlier.

Is this a necessary step or just another method? I could plug in both power supplies into the same surge protector outlet.

Namslas90

Is this a necessary step or just another method? I could plug in both power supplies into the same surge protector outlet.

The second Psu should not fire up if it does not detect the presence of a motherboard. Shorting the green to black leads makes the PSU think it is attatched to a motherboard!

I hope that covers it.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Just make sure you have SOME airflow for the fan. But, as I digress, I Strongly disagree with a dual PSU system. However, if its your only way, go for it.

^^As I said, I recently got my whole system upgraded, and infact did little overspend of the initial budget i've had thought...so 'am really outa cash

Actually the system is on a sort of okay PSU even now.....no issues as such, just that 12V line voltage drops sometimes low(measured with DMM also) when on load and mild OC...so was thinkin of setting up dual PSU's before I get into serious OCing...So wanted thoughts from anyone already having/having used a dual PSU setup..

Tsk Tsk Tsk.

I have seen this sooo much.
People spend $800+ on a system and then power it with a $30 PSU lol.
What do you think might happen.
Often I hear My system blew up WTF.
lol.

The PSU is very important and I wouldnt trust a $300 machine on a crap PSU.

Listen get a good PSU its that simple.
If you dont you run a high risk of the system eventually blowing up or parts getting under/over volted.
Its kind of like getting a Ferrari and running it on a battery you found in the dump.
It just brings in all kinds of distaster.

Khriez

I was just playing aorund I got the old 250W to power up by putting a pin in the black and green wire. Only problem is it would be on 24/7 unless I turn off the surge outlet :eek: This one doesn't have a power switch lol.

I was just playing aorund I got the old 250W to power up by putting a pin in the black and green wire. Only problem is it would be on 24/7 unless I turn off the surge outlet :eek: This one doesn't have a power switch lol.

You are going to be running your computer 24/7 on those PSUs:eek: :eek: :eek:

Does anyone else see this as a recipe for disaster.:banghead:

Khriez

Hehe nope I just wanted to see what happens, I should hook up all my fans on it though but I don't think it's worth it.

I'm not going to try it anymore.

KennyT772

System Name Raptor
Processor Intel E8400 Wolfdale @3600
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro LGA775
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700
Memory 1024mbx2 Crucial Ballistix DDR800
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB
Display(s) Acer AL2216Wbd and Acer AL1717
Case Gigabyte 3DAurora Black
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Faitality
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 500w
I have actually been contimplating running a dual psu setup for my file server. all you need to do to a dual setup correctly is snipping of the secondary motherboard connector and soldering extentions to the green/black wires and connecting those to the primary motherboard connector. for larger full atx cases fitting two psu's is quite easy. i would however run all harddrives fans cdroms etc off the secondary and leave anything connected to the motherboard directly, video card, etc on the main psu.

TheMafioso

Cooling Stock
I think, I have fitting the 2 psus in the case prob. sorted out, I would probably mod the case for it...and i'm from India, so don't much choices for high end/mid end PSUs, except for Antec(s) and maybe seventeam but they're terribly expensive here...so lets just say buying a high end PSU is out of question for a while..

And this setup looks very easy and effective especially with that cable.....and gives gEEk pleasure :), so I was wondering why aren't many people using it.....so that's why the thread..

It would be fine, the only thing is that you plug it all in to the same surge protector, so the the grounding voltages dont differ.

I have a APC UPS through which I would be connecting the 2 PSUs, i think it would be the same..?

the mafioso,if you could fill in your system spec on the usercp it would help :D

Funny thing....i had filled it up for quite sometime now..but just forgot to set "yes" to display specs :nutkick:

Last edited:

Demos_sav

Processor Intel P4 519K LGA775 3.06GHz @ 3.82GHz
Motherboard ASUS P5WD2
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Memory 3GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR2 3-4-3-6 @667MHz
Video Card(s) XFX 8800 GTS 320MB XXX Edition @ 630/970
Storage Samsung 160GB SATA2 7200RPM 8MB
Display(s) SONY SDM HS75 17' LCD
Case Interset (black)
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD ALC882 8-channel onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
Software Windows XP Home edition 32bit fully tuned
Benchmark Scores 3dm01-29689 3dm03-31099 3dm05-10298 3dm06-6409
You said that black and green wires must be connected for the power supply to work without beeing connected to the mobo. I found the green wire but there are plenty of black ones. Which one is the correct?

TheMafioso

Cooling Stock

neptunefix

Has anyone had any success having a 2nd PSU power up with the computer's on/off button? I ask because I'd actually like to power up an ATX PSU in a separate case used as a drive enclosure. AT-style PSU's are just too noisy for my tastes.

Somebody should make an adapter for this that comes directly from the case's power switch to the PSU's motherboard CONNECTION, without having to plug into a motherboard. :)

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
You said that black and green wires must be connected for the power supply to work without beeing connected to the mobo. I found the green wire but there are plenty of black ones. Which one is the correct?

Pins 14 & 15 ... 99% sure

Has anyone had any success having a 2nd PSU power up with the computer's on/off button? I ask because I'd actually like to power up an ATX PSU in a separate case used as a drive enclosure. AT-style PSU's are just too noisy for my tastes.

Somebody should make an adapter for this that comes directly from the case's power switch to the PSU's motherboard CONNECTION, without having to plug into a motherboard. :)

Make yourself a switch!!! Very easy!

All those "special" connectors are doing is taking pins 14 (black) and 15 (green) and tying them into your other psu that is connected to your motherboard. Very easy to setup BUT you must share them both on the same ground (stated in above posts). VERY IMPORTANT!