• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft DirectStorage Walled Off from Windows 10, Now Needs Windows 11 and DirectX 12 Ultimate GPU

Kind of like how "DX12 would never work on W7", until support was quietly added?... ;)

The support was never added. A single game was hacked to run with Windows 7 with a lot of support from MS.

I hope more and more developers will switch to Vulkan. Not only it's faster than D3D12 for some reasons, it also works on all modern and recent OSes, including Windows 7.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Wait, why the hell dont RX 5K series work?
Cause MS DX 12 “ultimate”. I think that means it has to have ray tracing and something else?

hmmmm. No pc master race comments?? ;)

Ugh, not this bullshit again... :|
Indeed. By nice if a company with deep pockets like valve would actually develop a Linux distro into a true windows competitor. (Steam os is not it). If it was good I would pay for it. Be nice to break up that monopoly then maybe they would not make crap for desktops if there was other options in the market.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Cause MS DX 12 “ultimate”. I think that means it has to have ray tracing and something else?

hmmmm. No pc master race comments?? ;)

Indeed. By nice if a company with deep pockets like valve would actually develop a Linux distro into a true windows competitor. (Steam os is not it). If it was good I would pay for it. Be nice to break up that monopoly then maybe they would not make crap for desktops if there was other options in the market.
The thing that is stopping a lot of people from moving to Linux is application support, and for a very large chunk of people that application is gaming.
Most of the major productivity software is now cross platform and/or web-based.

There's a huge number of Microsoft-trained professionals that run Microsoft networks and servers for companies but Microsoft is going out of their way to snub those professionals and make enemies in the one camp other than gamers who are preventing mass-defection to other platforms. People use Windows at work because that's the existing system and the IT department knows how to manage Windows-based networks. More and more Unix servers and web-based, platform-agnostic software is making its way into on-prem business networks and that's the thin end of the wedge for Microsoft. They need to understand that their existing marketshare momentum is already being eroded and they can't afford to push their luck as they have been doing since W8.

M$ has always used latest Directx as a hostage for OS upgrades. and I was under impression DX12 should be a Windows 10 thing, they never even had time to get it optimized for 10 yet... this is really one of the crappiest moves I have ever seen a company make... seriously, I am going to Linux for indie games and older games on my backlog, and a PS5 and OLED tv for newer games. take care M$ im sick of your crap.
bye

The thing that is stopping a lot of people from moving to Linux is application support, and for a very large chunk of people that application is gaming.
Most of the major productivity software is now cross platform and/or web-based.

There's a huge number of Microsoft-trained professionals that run Microsoft networks and servers for companies but Microsoft is going out of their way to snub those professionals and make enemies in the one camp other than gamers who are preventing mass-defection to other platforms. People use Windows at work because that's the existing system and the IT department knows how to manage Windows-based networks. More and more Unix servers and web-based, platform-agnostic software is making its way into on-prem business networks and that's the thin end of the wedge for Microsoft. They need to understand that their existing marketshare momentum is already being eroded and they can't afford to push their luck as they have been doing since W8.
Linux won't win over the crowds from the banking and office sectors, not the gamers either.
Self-entitled creators, Gordon Gecko wannabe mofos use Mac.

Sadly, Linux is still only for a select few. And let's face it, every distro has its own flaws. M$ will reap tons of cash with half-assed builds for the time being.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Linux won't win over the crowds from the banking and office sectors, not the gamers either.
Self-entitled creators, Gordon Gecko wannabe mofos use Mac.

Sadly, Linux is still only for a select few. And let's face it, every distro has its own flaws. M$ will reap tons of cash with half-assed builds for the time being.

yep, I have a passion for indie gaming lately. and Linux handles that just fine. so im good to go.

System Name The Expanse
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-Pro BIOS 5003 AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.B
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident RGB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T (B-Die)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB (24.3.1)
Storage WD SN850X 2TB / Corsair MP600 1TB / Samsung 860Evo 1TB x2 Raid 0 / Asus NAS AS1004T V2 14TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 UltraGear Curved QHD (3440 x 1440) 1ms Nano IPS 160Hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi + Logitech Z-5500 + HS80 Wireless
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Titanium
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2
Benchmark Scores 3800X https://valid.x86.fr/1zr4a5 5800X https://valid.x86.fr/2dey9c
Loading time and internet browsing already is slower on 10.
I only need light version who feels fast on old CPU.
With preinstalled things I need and unnecessary deleted.

I don't know about that boss.

I have fiber internet and there is no slow loading with any browser on my machine on windows 10 21H1

See if your motherboard has a TPM header that would allow you to add a hardware module. Cheaper than buying a full new system if it does. There's still not much that an overclocked 2700K can't do, artificial roadblocks aside. The e-waste that's going to be created through forcing people into upgrades that they have zero need for is going to be insane.
adding a TPM module won't help since the 2700K is not on the supported cpu list.

Like, what the hell is wrong with Ryzen 2xxx or 3xxx? By what standards are these old?
Where are you getting Ryzen 2xxx and 3xxx not supported? Direct Storage requirements only list graphics and SSD requirements, while the aforementioned processors are specifically mentioned as compatible with Win 11.

yep, I have a passion for indie gaming lately. and Linux handles that just fine. so im good to go.
Yep, but how do you imagine everyone else who play AAA titles to jump ships?

Where are you getting Ryzen 2xxx and 3xxx not supported? Direct Storage requirements only list graphics and SSD requirements, while the aforementioned processors are specifically mentioned as compatible with Win 11.
The idea is that they all force hardware into obsolence.

Kind of like how "DX12 would never work on W7", until support was quietly added?... ;)
Well, yes and no. DX12 was supported on Win7 only in those games, whose developer added the support. There never was a general support. Since MS sells this a new distinguishing feature, you can forget it on 10 for their whole lifetime. And since MS forces you to upgrade anyway at least every 18 months, it does not really matter.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Yep, but how do you imagine everyone else who play AAA titles to jump ships?

not sure if you ever been to America mate, but no one cares about anyone else here, only themselves. so I don't give a damn what others do LOL

fyi I am typing this from Linux Mint, its smooth as butter... loving every second of it.

I made a topic below sharing details if your interested

not sure if you ever been to America mate, but no one cares about anyone else here, only themselves. so I don't give a damn what others do LOL

fyi I am typing this from Linux Mint, its smooth as butter... loving every second of it.

I've been to the U.S. for quite some time. I can boldly claim there are many people who genuinely care about others, even foreigners (before the whole SJW blew out of proportions).

I learned a long time ago that generalizing is wrong. Yes, stereotypes exist for a reason but things are never black or white.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

I use mint on my laptop, but it cant keep up with windows for gaming

hell, most of my peripherals have no linux support either except with dodgy hacks that dont work correctly

Space Lynx

Astronaut

hell, most of my peripherals have no linux support either except with dodgy hacks that dont work correctly

well the latest beta may be better for gaming than, because I am having 0 issues. to be fair im playing older games and indie games... so yeah. and you sure you changed the video driver to latest Nvidia proprietary one in Mint update settings? the default one isn't nvidia its just a basic driver. i think a lot of people don't know to switch it over. not sure though it was kind of hidden imo. surprised it wasn't default

practically apart from the cpu, the majority of users should spend about 2000 euros (given the current prices of the gpu), to get what? faster loading speed in video games? even if it were double than normal, the expense is not worth the return. sorry for the poor english

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
well the latest beta may be better for gaming than, because I am having 0 issues. to be fair im playing older games and indie games... so yeah. and you sure you changed the video driver to latest Nvidia proprietary one in Mint update settings? the default one isn't nvidia its just a basic driver. i think a lot of people don't know to switch it over. not sure though it was kind of hidden imo. surprised it wasn't default
I havent used mint for gaming in years, my laptops an old 4th gen i7 (which by intel standards means a dual core, somehow) - it's not gunna run these games in windows, either.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
I was wondering what they would do, as most of dx12 is now set, the only thing left was direct storage, so they going to use that to get people to move over. ://

Wait, so I would have to downgrade to Microsoft's Standard NVM Express Controller driver to use this too, on my Samsung SSD's, that without their nVME driver, would perform way worse? wow, just the stupidity of this alongside MS really forcing the MS Account requirement.
Its not really a downgrade, if you look at the benchmarks that have been done these vendor drivers are like a 1-2% boost at best, and on a storage thats already fast it doesnt matter.

I actually also think the vendor drivers might be taking shortcuts to compromise data safety to get those boosts, I would stay on the standard nvme driver anyway which is what I am using now.

Also I can provide feedback on what I think is going on with these new i/o api's.

I think there is maybe some cheating going on.

On PS4 FF7 remake with an sata ssd in my ps4 pro, when an area was loaded I never noticed pop ins when immediately in an area after its loaded. It feels like it waits until everything is loaded before its displayed on screen.
On the PS5 it loads super duper fast but when area appears, not everything is immediately loaded so e.g. if I turn round I see things popping in as they load.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Could they tie this into the OS, so it speeds up native file transfers as well?

Or could a third party program do it to speed up file transfers, like teracopy?
(Used to be awesome in the XP days, before microsoft improved their shiz)

My biggest problem with Linux is the poor UEFI integration and security.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900
Motherboard Asus Strix X570-F
Cooling Full WC Loop
Memory Adata D60G 16gb 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Aorus GTX 1080ti
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic
It's not the default because it's proprietary and closed-source. Being a Linux distro, they're kinda not all for that

Space Lynx

Astronaut
It's not the default because it's proprietary and closed-source. Being a Linux distro, they're kinda not all for that
i have to use it to play games though right?

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
Ouch.
forced upgrades ala Apple.
Actually, this is ala old-school Microsoft, way before Windows 8. Like what Microsoft did with DirectX 10, for requiring Vista, back in 2006.