• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: XeSS vs. DLSS Comparison

Shadow of the Tomb Raider has recently been updated with support for Intel Xe Super Sampling (XeSS), making it the first game to fully support XeSS. In this mini-review, we take a look and compare the image quality and performance offered by XeSS and DLSS.

Show full review

Space Lynx

Astronaut
@maxus24 and anyone can use XeSS right? amd, nvidia, and arc? no paywall like DLSS

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Results look really promising, XeSS has a few issues to fix but I'm hopeful Intel stay committed. Will be interesting to see how much XMX instructions help, like will an A770 run XeSS on par with FSR 2.x?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Correct

Will let you know in our upcoming Arc reviews ;)

If you can try a couple older games, I don't care which, but something like Dragon Age Origins or Civilization III or Stronghold HD on your Arc A770 review, as a consumer I would find that helpful, I don't need extensive tests, just that it works without issue in older games, even a simple yes or no would suffice me, no fps graphs/charts needed. On AMD and Nvidia I never had to ask this question as I always knew it would work flawless.

IMO This look quite promising, especially when this is just the first version, and it is already arguable better than FSR 2.x in some aspect.

That being said, considering the driver situation of Intel Arc GPU, not sure people would consider XMX acceleration a valid selling point yet.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
So AMD has FSR which runs on everything. Intel has XeSS that runs on everything. Nvidia really has to step up their game and be less precious about their dear baby Tensor cores.

Nvidia really has to step up their game and be less precious about their dear baby Tensor cores.
I think their step up was the frame generation. Remains to be seen on how well it actually looks/feels.

So AMD has FSR which runs on everything. Intel has XeSS that runs on everything. Nvidia really has to step up their game and be less precious about their dear baby Tensor cores.
When you dominate the market, you don't :p

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
I think their step up was the frame generation. Remains to be seen on how well it actually looks/feels.
I mean, if they played fair and didn't make specific hardware for their own in-house stuff, and made their advancements openly available, maybe they would be seen in a more positive light than they have lately.

I mean, if they played fair and didn't make specific hardware for their own in-house stuff, and made their advancements openly available, maybe they would be seen in a more positive light than they have lately.
But DLSS is noticeably better. So for the consumer their GPU's are still better... RDNA3 can change that by seriously undercutting Nvidia on pricing, that's if Nvidia can't match it.

The funny thing is that XeSS and DLSS looks much better than TAA. Zoom in on the sitting man on the left and see for your self, TAA looks awful.

Processor Ryzen 5 7600X
Motherboard ASRock B650M PG Riptide
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory DDR5 6000Mhz CL28 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Palit GamingPro OC
Storage Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen.4 1TB
The funny thing is that XeSS and DLSS looks much better than TAA. Zoom in on the sitting man on the left and see for your self, TAA looks awful.
Has this junk TAA ever looked good?

Has this junk TAA ever looked good?
Not that I've noticed, always been blurry to one degree or another and I absolutely hate games that force it always on. I find it funny that we now have these upscaling techniques that look better and give more fps.

Xe looks awful to me!
Actually not that bad for a first try, could be great after another generation or two. Nvidia DLSS and AMD FSR looked pretty bad the first generation as well.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
But DLSS is noticeably better. So for the consumer their GPU's are still better
At this point why would they? they lead the market in image reconstruction technologies, why make it free when you're top dog and pushing it ever further.

This will ultimately push FSR and XeSS to improve and vica versa, and with access already to those it's still a net benefit to non RTX owners.

Not that I've noticed, always been blurry to one degree or another and I absolutely hate games that force it always on. I find it funny that we now have these upscaling techniques that look better and give more fps.

Actually not that bad for a first try, could be great after another generation or two. Nvidia DLSS and AMD FSR looked pretty bad the first generation as well.
Let's hope so! I'm by no means against having a choice. Although, if history is to teach us anything, it's that some vendor use anti-competitive tactics to force the others out of the market, only for their closed solution to be dominant (and to be available only to their cards).

Software Windows 10 Pro
There's probably a lot of difference in pictures, but do you guys actually notice anything while playing a game?

Let's hope so! I'm by no means against having a choice. Although, if history is to teach us anything, it's that some vendor use anti-competitive tactics to force the others out of the market, only for their closed solution to be dominant (and to be available only to their cards).
You're absolutely right about that, we've seen it so many times.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11

Nvidia can't force AMD out of the market, US antitrust law will then split Nvidia in half, duopoly is pretty close to monopoly really.
Well with Intel joining the fray things might change...

So far, the XeSS's SotTR comparison reviews across the globe are very unbalanced. :shadedshu:

DLSS was manually updated to version 2.4.12 by swapping the DLL file.

While I appreciate that this is as easy to mod as it is, I still feel like it makes for a flawed comparison. The overwhelming majority of players are not going to mod their game, but play it as it ships. I feel like the main content of the article should reflect that.

What I would like to see instead is a comparison of the upscalers as they ship, and compare out of the box experience that players will see. Plus an addendum page that compares the shipping version with the modded version to see how much of a difference it makes.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Nvidia can't force AMD out of the market, US antitrust law will then split Nvidia in half, duopoly is pretty close to monopoly really.
Well with Intel joining the fray things might change...

That was true at one time when it was just Nvidia and AMD in the GPU market but now there is also Intel in the GPU market. Having said that I don't think Nvidia would try to force AMD out of the market. All Nvidia wants to do is hold AMD down to a low Market Share. That could change in the future though. AMD is making some really good GPUs these days.

While I appreciate that this is as easy to mod as it is, I still feel like it makes for a flawed comparison. The overwhelming majority of players are not going to mod their game, but play it as it ships. I feel like the main content of the article should reflect that.

What I would like to see instead is a comparison of the upscalers as they ship, and compare out of the box experience that players will see. Plus an addendum page that compares the shipping version with the modded version to see how much of a difference it makes.
Yeah, this seems like the best method that should've been applied because the majority of gamers have never even heard of DLSS Swap and least of all TPU, etc.