• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

If you think youre having a bad day....

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 6600 8 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
I am still baffled as to why PSU manufactures started using cables with different pinouts in the first place, what was the point, why do that ? What a horrendously moronic design choice.

If it was "to make it work ONLY with THEIR products" ... then it backfired spectacularly ...

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
If it was "to make it work ONLY with THEIR products" ... then it backfired spectacularly ...
But even if the point was to make the cables only work with their products it achieves nothing, PSUs still come with their own cables regardless. If the cables were always sold separately I'd understand it, the fact that they change the layouts between their own models makes this even more bizarre.

This is baffling because it's obviously done on purpose, otherwise they'd just use the default layout, just can't understand why.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
You're obviously emotionally invested. Let me guess, it's also Jensen Huang's fault they screwed up every side business they've had right? From motherboards to mice and keyboards to their network and audio cards right?

I, like everyone, loved EVGA's products (when they hit the mark anyway and they usually did), but it's undeniable that their quality standards dropped HEAVILY over time and that they were unable to continue to provide the same level of service they did when they were at their prime, around the time Pascal generation cards were the good stuff.

Power supplies like their N1 series shouldn't be used on ANY computer and I'll stand by that but I've seen lots of people using them just because of the brand. They have regularly released trash products in the PSU market and relied on RMA in case anything goes wrong. This isn't up for debate, it's a hard fact.

The fate of EVGA was sealed by a series of bad decisions. The power supply drama is just one of them.
Nah, I don't allow emotions to dictate how accurately I remember history. I simply despise liars that embellish in order to make an incorrect statement fit their narrative without offering any actual facts. I don't care how butthurt you happen to be about the N1s existence or how you FEEL about it. Get over yourself. The fact is, you tried to make this all encompassing claim that they were releasing garbage PSUs from the get go which of course is BS. It says everything about you and your opinion. I called you on it so now you completely change your story. Trying to throw their Nvidia choice and peripherals at me as if It somehow will prove that your first post wasn't absolute fud. The garbage here is all the BS you've spouted.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1000, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
My Evga PSU is better than my Seasonic :D

Sad but true.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
If eVGA literally instructs this, then the poor guy is 100% not at fault.
I agree, the user is not at fault for the damage but he is 100% at fault for apparently NOT having a sound, robust backup plan in place that included multiple backup copies (preferably with at least one maintained off-site) of any and "all" data he did not want to lose.

It's been said before, but there needs to be a standard for modular power supplies.
100% agree. There is, of course, the ATX Form Factor industry standards for the component end of the cables - but not the PSU end. I get why companies like using proprietary parts - it typically forces us consumers to spend more money by buying only from that company, thus helping them to corner the market and increase their profit margins.

But PSU cables don't fit that scenario, IMO simply because the component ends (and voltages) must comply with industry standards. It seems to me, it would be cheaper for the manufacturers too, if they standardized the PSU end. The logistics alone for inventorying the PSU connectors and the cable sets would be vastly easier, thus cheaper.

This is baffling because it's obviously done on purpose, otherwise you'd just use the default layout, just can't understand why.
We don't have all the information. Maybe they used a different OEM supplier. Or the OEM changed their base platform. Again, this is only because, as Shrek noted, there is no industry standard for the PSU end of these cables. The component ends are standardized - they have to be or else we could not use these supplies on different brand motherboards, SSDs, graphics cards, etc.

BTW - most PSU brands use OEM suppliers. There is nothing wrong with that. Just the fact Seasonic are their own OEM supplier does NOT make Seasonic supplies superior in any way. We must remember it is likely EVERY component (resistor, capacitor, coil, transformer, IC, diode, connector, wire, etc.) inside even Seasonic PSUs were probably made by a different company.

Are you really sure about this? I have not followed the case, so I do not know.

I strongly doubt that any company would send out power supply without cables that are needed for safely running the power supply.
Well, folks should at least follow the thread. :( The Toms article clearly said (my bold underline added),
EVGA forgot to send...updated power supply cables to account for the changes.
Had the thread been followed, one would seen those type doubts for this incident were unfounded.

It is common practice for RMA replacements to come WITHOUT cables - and this is not just for power supplies. I have seen it for monitors, motherboards, cable TV boxes, and more. HOWEVER, when the cables have changed through revisions, and the replacement is a different revision, then sure, cables should come with the replacement. And it appears EVGA was aware of the change.

That said, claiming they "forgot" is a lame excuse. :( There's a reason commercial airline pilots do not "forget" to lower the landing gear; they have checklists! And these checklists (and the gear status) are double-checked by a second person.

(1) There should have been a checklist.​
(2) The person fulfilling the RMA replacement order should have followed the checklist.​
(3) the person packing and shipping the replacement should have double-checked the checklist and the supply to make sure everything on the checklist (to include the cables) were in the box before shipping.​

Point is, nobody should need to "remember" to toss in cables too.

This suggests a much bigger systemic problem within EVGA from management down through training to the low-level, minimum wage grunt shipping out the replacements.

I have been a long time fan of EVGA products. I still am. But me doing business with a company is NOT based solely on their products. The company's policies and customer service (including after-the-sale service) plays a major role in my decision process too. And in the last year or so, EVGA, IMO, has really failed in that area.

That said, no company is perfect.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
My Evga PSU is better than my Seasonic :D

Sad but true.
Everyone who’s remotely serious about hardware knows that brand is irrelevant, individual quality models are. Pretty much all major vendors have both outstanding and crappy models. EVGA is no exception. Seasonic USUALLY doesn’t make straight trash, but far from everything in their lineup is pure gold. People dunk on Corsair PSUs sometimes, but RMx, AX and their SF line are absolute bangers which are a great pick. So one should always be diligent and do the homework when buying PSUs.

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
We don't have all the information. Maybe they used a different OEM supplier. Or the OEM changed their base platform. Again, this is only because, as Shrek noted, there is no industry standard for the PSU end of these cables. The component ends are standardized - they have to be or else we could not use these supplies on different brand motherboards, SSDs, graphics cards, etc.
Why would OEMs make cables with a different pinout for no reason ? This makes no sense, it's just a matter of assembly, you can literally rearrange the pins yourself and convert the cable back to the standard layout. You cannot tell me OEMs just cannot find suppliers that make standard layout cables and PSU brands just have to settle for whatever random layout OEMs use for some inexplicable reason lol.

No, I'll remind you most PSUs out there still use standard layouts, they obviously do this on purpose.

Last edited:
System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
There is no standard layout on the PSU side. That's the problem.

The PSU manufacturer has an employee that decides a pin should go here or there for any reason they want. They want all the powers together and all the grounds together. Or they want this higher power here because the trace is shorter to there internally and makes sense for PCB reasons. Or whatever. It's all about their PCB design (which has no standard), and how to get power out of the PCB most efficiently, so without a PSU pinout standard, they arrange them however they want for whatever reason is best for them.

No, I'll remind you most PSUs out there still use standard layouts, they obviously do this on purpose.
There is no standard layout. There are multiple different layouts and none of them are considered standard.

Last edited:
System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
Personally i like the way Corsair handle their cables with type 4, as in my RMx etc. You can check on their website and see which cables fit which PSU.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Nah, I don't allow emotions to dictate how accurately I remember history. I simply despise liars that embellish in order to make an incorrect statement fit their narrative without offering any actual facts.

Which is exactly what you're doing. It's called rosy retrospection. The sorry state this failed company is in has only one entity to blame: itself, or rather, its poor management and series of poor decisions that it took. You either didn't read my posts at all or you're just going straight to the denial stage. I don't "feel" anything other than the loss of what used to be a good player in the GPU market that also brought some interesting gear every now and then. I do use an EVGA power supply and more than repeatedly have stated you need to pry my Nu Audio from my cold dead hands, that is, until its driver that hasn't been updated in 4 years stops working because of some minute change in Windows and knowing full well it'll never be updated again.

It's a fact that most of EVGA's recent power supplies are garbage, especially at the low end. It's a fact that they dropped out of the GPU market. It's a fact that they abandoned their audio card venture. It's a fact that most of EVGA's famous employees have moved on (for example, Jacob works at NVIDIA marketing). It's a fact that EVGA's motherboard division is abandoned and in shambles (not even their Z790s were updated for formal 14th Gen support) - it's unlikely they will ever release another motherboard again. It's a fact that they haven't released any keyboard and mice for years (the last one I recall was in 2021 and it received poor reviews - "Premium price, not so premium design" which literally sums up this ENTIRE back and forth), and in fact, you can't find them for sale in most of the world anymore. I could go on and on and continue to throw these facts at your face and all you're going to do is insult me for it.

EVGA has crumbled, and its market position has been overtaken by more competent companies. Its time has come and gone. ASUS has stepped up their game in the premium GPU market and largely received the business of former EVGA customers (I have a ROG STRIX instead of a Classified/Kingpin 4080 for a reason), and other companies have stepped up to cover the rest.

Last edited:

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Honestly, these are facts that cannot be disputed.. sad but true again.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Why would OEMs make cables with a different pinout for no reason ? This makes no sense
From a consumer's viewpoint, you are correct - it makes no sense. But it is not for "no reason". It's because there are no industry standards or guidelines dictating how to, or even recommending how to do it.

But I think a little history is needed.

Years ago, all PSUs used hardwired (soldered) cables. So this was not an issue. But when modular cables first came out, there were no industry standards for the PSU end of cables or the connectors mounted on the PSUs for those cables. So every manufacturer who wanted to step into the modular PSU business had to come up with their own way of doing things.

The problem was, way back then, it was not certain or even understood that modular cable PSUs would become so popular. This resulted in too much time passing and the various manufacturers became set in their ways - it was too late to coral them all and force them to come to a consensus on standards.

It would be like getting Samsung and Apple today to agree on phone standards - or AMD and Intel to agree on CPU sockets forcing one or the other to totally give up their way of doing things and retool to the new standard. This is a VERY EXPENSIVE process. And it would require all the losing companies to admit their was not the best.

This is exactly why there is no ATX Form Factor type standard for laptops and why they now are so proprietary. This is why Sony's BetaMax video tape recorders lingered so long before they finally gave up, admitted defeat and settled on the VCR format.

"IF" these industries (and us consumers) could see into the future when these new industries were first conceived and see which way of doing things would dominate, it would be easy to set a standard from day one. But that just doesn't happen.

It happened once with the AT and its successor ATX for the PC industry only because all the "other" manufacturers wanted to get in that market but IBM had total monopoly control with the "IBM PC". So all those "other" manufacturers got together against their common foe to create a standard where they could compete with IBM by building their own IBM "clone" machines. That would never work today. :(

Reactions: HTC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Everyone who’s remotely serious about hardware knows that brand is irrelevant, individual quality models are. Pretty much all major vendors have both outstanding and crappy models. EVGA is no exception. Seasonic USUALLY doesn’t make straight trash, but far from everything in their lineup is pure gold. People dunk on Corsair PSUs sometimes, but RMx, AX and their SF line are absolute bangers which are a great pick. So one should always be diligent and do the homework when buying PSUs.

You pretty much nailed it. The big problem with EVGA is that early on, they only had bangers and decent products. Even their very first power supply, the Supernova NEX 1500, that from a technical standpoint was considered average at best and came at a massive price premium, was a very innovative and forward-looking product as far as a power supply was concerned. Keep in mind this is 12 years ago:

The Super Flower platform that replaced it is literally one of the best you can buy, even today. After a series of bangers such as the 1000 and 1300 G2, 1000 and 1200 P2, they didn't stop there and this platform was perfected under EVGA over time, resulting in the 1600 T2 - fully analog but could go toe to toe with even the AX1500i, at the downside of having some insane inrush current "issue" (it wasn't exactly a problem but your breaker better handle it).

After this it all went downhill. It'd be hard not to remember the many issues of the Supernova G5, with reviews being as close to slamming it as possible

And if that wasn't enough, it kept getting worse until you reached unforgivable trash like the N1 that served no purpose other than sully the EVGA name, hope whatever change they made from it was worth it

All of these reviews, on both TPU and Tom's were written by Aris, just to keep it as on the level as possible: I take what he says as law when it comes to power supplies.

System Name Desktop/HTPC
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi ITX
Cooling ID Cooling DashFlow 240mm AIO
Memory 64GB (2x32) G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3600 CL18
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB
Storage 4TB WD SN850X NVMe, 2TB WD SN850X NVMe
Display(s) LG OLED65B9PUA 65" 4K OLED TV
Case Lian Li x Dan A4-H20
Audio Device(s) USB to MiniDSP DDRC24 DAC, RCA to SUMO Andromeda amp, wired to Wharfedale SP88 speakers
Power Supply Silverstone SX1000R SFX-L Platinum ATX 3.0
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini
VR HMD Oculus Rift / PSVR / PSVR2 / Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 11 Pro
I am still baffled as to why PSU manufactures started using cables with different pinouts in the first place, what was the point, why do that ? What a horrendously moronic design choice.
Yes, there's absolutely no reason there hasn't been an industry standard for years now. I've had at least 10 fully or semi-modular PSUs and the cables are all very similar but almost certainly not interchangeable.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
hah my stepson was lazy and toasted his new EVGA PSU because he didn't change the modular cables like I told him to. I fully expected it to be a problem because he was going from a SUPERFLOWER-based 550W EVGA to an FSP-based 750W EVGA. On further examination I saw that he also managed to hammer the different shaped pins into the wrong shaped holes on other end. I did not help him after that, and he even tried to RMA it to EVGA but they rejected him like they could smell that he was a dumbass through his email message. I've still got the Platinum 750W unit in a box in my office but it would obviously need a new fuse soldered on if anyone wants to give it a try.
I may have to take you up on that as a "Why TF Not - I need a tinker project" as long as it still has the correct cables for it.

I agree with others on this, like most other things there needs to be a standard set and used across all manufacturers. While things related to the ends that goes to a board or device are standard, it's modular parts/cables with different pinouts to the PSU itself that's the problem here.

And yes, I"ll admit it - I too once upon a time slayed a PSU and a couple of drives because of it.
In my case I didn't force anything AND the cables I had used were VERY similar in appearance to the correct ones for the PSU. I was in a hurry, lighting where I was wasn't the best and to the point, I should have paid more attention to what I was doing period.
Lesson to check things closely learned here.

Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
@Dr. Dro
Yeah, that is the long and short of it, really. I did go through the NEX1500 review for nostalgia sake (damn, time flies) and some of the print on the box made me both laugh and sigh.
1711295533765.jpeg

That was EVGA as people probably would like to remember them. Not whatever barely animated cadaver clinging to life they are now. What a fall from grace. I mean, we’ve seen BFG, Abit and others just fade away, but I think EVGA just kinda stings the most for enthusiasts.

System Name Desktop/HTPC
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi ITX
Cooling ID Cooling DashFlow 240mm AIO
Memory 64GB (2x32) G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3600 CL18
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB
Storage 4TB WD SN850X NVMe, 2TB WD SN850X NVMe
Display(s) LG OLED65B9PUA 65" 4K OLED TV
Case Lian Li x Dan A4-H20
Audio Device(s) USB to MiniDSP DDRC24 DAC, RCA to SUMO Andromeda amp, wired to Wharfedale SP88 speakers
Power Supply Silverstone SX1000R SFX-L Platinum ATX 3.0
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini
VR HMD Oculus Rift / PSVR / PSVR2 / Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 11 Pro
You pretty much nailed it. The big problem with EVGA is that early on, they only had bangers and decent products. Even their very first power supply, the Supernova NEX 1500, that from a technical standpoint was considered average at best and came at a massive price premium, was a very innovative and forward-looking product as far as a power supply was concerned. Keep in mind this is 12 years ago:

The Super Flower platform that replaced it is literally one of the best you can buy, even today. After a series of bangers such as the 1000 and 1300 G2, 1000 and 1200 P2, they didn't stop there and this platform was perfected under EVGA over time, resulting in the 1600 T2 - fully analog but could go toe to toe with even the AX1500i, at the downside of having some insane inrush current "issue" (it wasn't exactly a problem but your breaker better handle it).

After this it all went downhill. It'd be hard not to remember the many issues of the Supernova G5, with reviews being as close to slamming it as possible

And if that wasn't enough, it kept getting worse until you reached unforgivable trash like the N1 that served no purpose other than sully the EVGA name, hope whatever change they made from it was worth it

All of these reviews, on both TPU and Tom's were written by Aris, just to keep it as on the level as possible: I take what he says as law when it comes to power supplies.
I made the mistake of trusting Lian Li when I bought my first SFX PSU because I'd had nothing but good experiences with their other products (cases and accessories) and the 750w SFX they put out was a known quality unit. I bought the 850w... And it's a completely different design with misconfigured over current protection, meaning I eventually had to spend almost twice as much on a Silverstone 1kw unit just to get my PC stable. It's a mistake I rarely make, but nobody is infallible.

Keyboard Galax Stealth
Yes, there's absolutely no reason there hasn't been an industry standard for years now. I've had at least 10 fully or semi-modular PSUs and the cables are all very similar but almost certainly not interchangeable.

Need to be able to sell sleeved cable kits at a premium tho :p

@Dr. Dro
Yeah, that is the long and short of it, really. I did go through the NEX1500 review for nostalgia sake (damn, time flies) and some of the print on the box made me both laugh and sigh.
View attachment 340484
That was EVGA as people probably would like to remember them. Not whatever barely animated cadaver clinging to life they are now. What a fall from grace. I mean, we’ve seen BFG, Abit and others just fade away, but I think EVGA just kinda stings the most for enthusiasts.

My G2's box still has that marketing blurb. Yep, that's old. I agree, it stings the most... and they'll be missed even more than BFG, Abit and the sort. Guess that's where we drop the "it is what it is"...

I made the mistake of trusting Lian Li when I bought my first SFX PSU because I'd had nothing but good experiences with their other products (cases and accessories) and the 750w SFX they put out was a known quality unit. I bought the 850w... And it's a completely different design with misconfigured over current protection, meaning I eventually had to spend almost twice as much on a Silverstone 1kw unit just to get my PC stable. It's a mistake I rarely make, but nobody is infallible.

True. That's why I spend a lot of time reading reviews before I buy. Sometimes I take a more conservative approach and get something ready made too.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
From a consumer's viewpoint, you are correct - it makes no sense. But it is not for "no reason". It's because there are no industry standards or guidelines dictating how to, or even recommending how to do it.
The problem is you are suggesting the supplier of the cable effectively dictates how the power supply will be wired which is hard to believe and you haven't given an explanation on why that is. I get that there is no standard but this means power supply manufacturers are deliberately choosing to not design the PCB such that it mirrors the way the standardized PCIe connector is wired, my question is why.

I do not believe there is a cartel of cable suppliers using random pinouts, these are made to order, the PSU OEMs want them that way.

Reactions: HTC
System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Which is exactly what you're doing. It's called rosy retrospection. The sorry state this failed company is in has only one entity to blame: itself, or rather, its poor management and series of poor decisions that it took. You either didn't read my posts at all or you're just going straight to the denial stage. I don't "feel" anything other than the loss of what used to be a good player in the GPU market that also brought some interesting gear every now and then. I do use an EVGA power supply and more than repeatedly have stated you need to pry my Nu Audio from my cold dead hands, that is, until its driver that hasn't been updated in 4 years stops working because of some minute change in Windows and knowing full well it'll never be updated again.

It's a fact that most of EVGA's recent power supplies are garbage, especially at the low end. It's a fact that they dropped out of the GPU market. It's a fact that they abandoned their audio card venture. It's a fact that most of EVGA's famous employees have moved on (for example, Jacob works at NVIDIA marketing). It's a fact that EVGA's motherboard division is abandoned and in shambles (not even their Z790s were updated for formal 14th Gen support) - it's unlikely they will ever release another motherboard again. It's a fact that they haven't released any keyboard and mice for years (the last one I recall was in 2021 and it received poor reviews - "Premium price, not so premium design" which literally sums up this ENTIRE back and forth), and in fact, you can't find them for sale in most of the world anymore. I could go on and on and continue to throw these facts at your face and all you're going to do is insult me for it.

EVGA has crumbled, and its market position has been overtaken by more competent companies. Its time has come and gone. ASUS has stepped up their game in the premium GPU market and largely received the business of former EVGA customers (I have a ROG STRIX instead of a Classified/Kingpin 4080 for a reason), and other companies have stepped up to cover the rest.
And again, none of this has anything to do with your initial statement.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The problem is you are suggesting the supplier of the cable effectively dictates how the power supply will be wired
:( I said no such thing. Read it again.

I said, the OEM maker of the power supply dictates how the power supply will be wired on the PSU end. So it is the PSU OEM maker who dictates how the cables will be wired on the PSU end. The ATX Form Factor standard dictates how the cables will be wired on the component end.

Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
And what company made it? Do they sell PSUs directly under their own brand name?

(I hate this rebranding mess)
That’s a simplistic way of looking at things that’s not actually helpful. Most prolific PSU vendors who aren’t OEMs (like Corsair) are not simply “rebranding”. They are actively working with OEMs to engineer their PSUs and often have specific changes and tweaks done to the platforms in order to extract more performance or efficiency. What, did you think Corsair has a PSU division with its own labs and RnD just for the lulz and they just buy stuff in bulk from, say, Great Wall or Flextronics and just slap their sticker on it?

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
And what company made it? Do they sell PSUs directly under their own brand name?

(I hate this rebranding mess)
Couldn't tell you, one of the reason I wont be buying from that brand anymore.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
This guy lost 22TB of data because his replacement power supply from evga had a different pinout to the old one. He reused the old modular cables and it murdered all his hard drives when he hooked everything up and powered on

This is why I buy Corsair PSUs. Not because they're the best or the cheapest, but because they've had clearly-labelled and well-documented pinouts for a long time, and their modular cables have been generationally-compatible across a vast range of their PSUs for over a decade.

If you have a Corsair PSU that uses type-4 cables and you have some type-3 cables, the cables that physically fit will work.

To date, I'm not aware of any Corsair cables that don't work with any Corsair PSU. To clarify that point - whilst you can have a cable that won't fit (eg, wrong-type ATX 24-pin power), you also can't accidentally plug it in, since a Type-5 PSU simply will not accept a Type-3 24-pin motherboard connector, and vice versa.

Last edited: