• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Creative Software Modder Daniel_K Gone for Good

Processor I7 4770k
Motherboard ASUS z87 pro
Cooling Corsair a50
Memory 4x4 gig Gskil aries ddr3 1866
Video Card(s) Gigabyte r280x windforce
Storage intel 520 120 gig ssd
Display(s) 24 inch Asus IPS
Case Cool Master
Audio Device(s) realtek onboard
Power Supply hiper 880
Software win 7 ult
The way I see it creative has crippled the drivers so you ( the customer) will buy a new sound card when they are made. Now that the cats out of the bag, with daniel k moding these drivers and fixing the issues with vista everyone knows how creative has treated their customers over the years. Most companies allow a 3-5 year support on their hardware buy creative wants you to buy new every year to help support them. Thats like my ISP provider crippling my connection to 56k and raising it 56k every year and charging me double, wonder how many customers my isp would have?

Sapientwolf

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad QX9770 Yorkfield 4.00GHz
Motherboard Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP X38 Chipset Motherboard
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Heatsink| Fans: Intake 1x120mm and 2x140mm| Exhaust 1x120mm and 2x140mm
Memory 4GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 7-7-7-26
Video Card(s) 2 x Diamond Multimedia HD 4870 512MB Graphics Cards in CrossfireX
Storage 2 Western Digital 500GB 32MB Cache Caviar Blacks in RAID 0| 1 500GB 32MB Cache Seagate Barracuda.
Display(s) Sceptre X24WG 24" 1920x1200 4000:1 2ms LCD Monitor
Case Cooler Master CM 690
Audio Device(s) HT Omega HT Claro+
Power Supply Aerocool 750W Horsepower PSU
Software Windows Vista Home Premium x64
ah, but the unlocked chips also are the top binned runs, this means they will overclock better with less volts on avrage then a normal chip.

and creative removed fetures for VISTA OWNERS that cards came with, this is BULLSHIT no matter how you try and justify it, it would be like ATI removing dx9 support for you with the vista drivers because they want you to buy a 2900 or hd3k card, you wouldnt side with ATI on that one, you would bitchup a storm, then buy nvidia.

love how people dont really understand what creative is pulling and why, its not like dissabling something because it was bugged or couldnt be supported properly, they removed it simply to force you to buy new hardware with that as the only reasion, then they dont have the ballz to admit it.

they backed down once due to public outcry and bad publicity, If this is real(doughtfull) they will back down again, but DK is probbly not gonna come back if this turns out to be real.

I understand your point completely. I'm not too informed on the details of the driver situation. I just wanted to make a point about the "I payed for it, it should work to its fullest" argument that is faulty when take service into account (which you seem to understand).

If Creative is limiting features unfairly, then yes, you should be be getting what you payed for.

I've been using an HT-Omega Claro+ for quite a while now, no problems whatsoever, software is lightweight and functionaly, sounds great. I recommend it to anyone, or an Auzentech X-Meridian, which is based on the same C-media chip and uses the same software.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
now that I've had a chance to get some fresh, warm, humid air :D

i know that all to well, i got alot of polish blood, as well as irish/scotish, some of the most stuborn people you will ever meet but mostly good folks.

yep, even moreso with baltic peoples . . . . once the pride and stubborness kick in - it's no longer about the argument :laugh:

creative are not fun to work with, their tech support as mentioned above(last page) will YELL at you, their staff involved with projects like working with game developers are just as bad, im SURE part of why ms droped it was due to how creative is to work with, and nvidia very well could have left the project due to being sick of fighting with creative, i have seen that happen with games, some of the people i use to do computer work for where game developers, this may sound shocking but most of them dont really know much about whats inside the puter, they just know their part of the dev prosess, that thats it, well every singel one of them had nothing nice to say about working with creative to support new eax fetures or work out buggs with eax and creatives drivers, comments like "they are a bunch of assholes" where common, now most of those dev's had creative cards because at the time creative was THE card choice for "true gamers".

I completely believe it. I even wondered if after nVidia left the development, it turned into MS and Creative butting heads over how things were going to go. No one really knows, as even that info on the MS+Creative+nVidia collaboration is fairly unknown - and I can't even remember where I read that . . . MaximumPC, I think :confused:

Plus, their tech support is stoopid - every once and a while I throw an email their way with some BS dumb issue I've made up just to see what kind of responses I'll get - all I can say is that they are 100% predictable at this point, and even if you come across as being tech knowledgable, they respond to you like your a tech illiterate n00b. Like I mentioned earlier, their poor support was what drove me to start the X-Fi thread here, so that users out there could have somewhere they could look up typical issues and ask questions and get real answers. From what I've seen over the last couple of years, you couldn't go asking questions on the Creative forums due to the number of trolls that hang out there, so . . .

yeah, i acctual have seen stuff like that but most of the x-fi problems i have seen are dirrectly due to the drivers, most dell owners dont go out and buy a soundcard, they use the onboard, and if they buy a soundcard they get the cheapist one they can get(because most dell owners are cheap bastards, hence they own a dell)

a little of both, most of the driver issues I've seen usually resulted from an improper/corrupted install, or something similar.

I can say, though, that their driver download links aren't always labeled correctly. I don't think their driver team does enough support testing, either. For example, I've found for the longest time that all of the X-Fi update drivers for the XP Media Center Edition are all incompatible, as much as the drivers list the OS as being supported. That turns into a headache for the customer, and for those trying to help the users.

yes it is wrong to remove fetures the card was sold supporting, they didnt do that with older cards when you went from 9x to xp or 2k to xp, video card makers dont remove dx9 support on cards that support it because they want to sell new cards to vista users......same diffrance in my book, this is all on creative.

and im glad that ubi brought back 10.1 im sure it was due to public presure and not wanting to look like they where pandering to nvidia to give nvidia an unfair advantege by removing it.... got any links to reviews of the 2nd patch, would like to see if there appears to be any under handed tricks being used to keep the perf of ati vs nvidia from changing between the 10.0 and 10.1 paths.

I see your point, as I think it wrong as well - but we'll never know if it was just meant to be a temporary thing, and the ongoing debacle with the dan_k drivers just blew up during the middle of it.

I also see your point with the VGA adapter argument - but at the same time, they'd never have to worry about dropping support like that. If you want to keep up with the newest games, you've got to upgrade the video card sooner or later, y'know? It's rough to be able to keep going with current games on a video card thats 3-4 years old, much less 5-6.

I had mentioned in other threads a while ago, the audio card, from any manufacturer, outlasts just about every other piece of hardware in a rig (unless you're an audiophile and constantly wanting the newest thing :p). They're not subjected to the same rigors as other pieces of hardware, and for 90% of users, as long as it still sounds alright, there's nothing wrong with the card. I mean, hell, just for example, I just finally convinced my father last month to upgrade from his . . . ENSONIQ PCI!! That's right, the first sound card that got away from the ISA standard . . . the first PCI soundcard, and one of the first true multi-channel cards. That thing is 12+ years old at this point, but still works fine (even in Vista . . . surprisingly). He just didn't see a point considering the card still worked.

IDK, I guess I just think the notion of people wanting to hold onto an audio card for more than 5-7 years, and expecting it to function properly in the most recent WIN OS to hit shelves is kinda unrealistic.

thats easy, my maddog cmedia based 8738 soundcard, full vista drivers that WORK PERFECTLY updated from the cmedia forums(the guy who uploads to forums dosnt have acces to update the site....diffrent dept)

I'm just curious as I'm not sure . . . those are the official drivers? C-Media doesn't always keep up with updating their site, as the most recent driver release for the 8738 based cards is dated 2002.

TBH, I don't really keep up with C-Media chipsets too much, as they like to do little "tweaks" here and there for different manufacturers . . . makes it hard to keep up when 3 different card manufacturers are using the CMI8788 chipset, but each one has a version that's "tweaked" just for them

the DMCA dirrectly battles fair use laws, and it tends to loose, its the one big thing i would like to kick bill clinton in the nuts for, dumbass admited in a tv callin show (people call in with questions and he would answer) that he really didnt understand the DMCA he just signed it, the people pushing it made it sound like a good deal....didnt mention that it didnt allow him to copy his own cd's as backups for use in the car ;)

yep - sad, IMO. DMCA is a load of crock, IMO, and doesn't nullify the original copyright act of 86 . . . which is dumb becasue the two acts contradict each other.

I still go by the old school rule, though, and will backup my software, CDs, DVDs, etc as I see fit - even if I have to break copy protection to do so. By the old act, I'm within my rights as long as I don't make numerous copies and/or distribute copies.

creative clearly did this to try and force ppl to buy their next big card, as the dolby support, its because creative refused to pay for a dolby licence for the cards, thats the only reasion, really dolby cant go after creative and win if its a user made mod/hack that enables said fetures, so its just creative wanting to keep their older products as crippled as possable in order to push their owners into buying the new cards they are working to bring out.

this is an old and well established practice in the computer industry that software makers and some hardware makers use, its died off a bit since companys that pull that crap tend to die when users disscover that they can choose something like a c-media based soundcard vs creative without loosing anything they will acctualy notice, and get longer support cycles.

cmedia still sells alot of chips and companys using their chips still sell alot of cards dispite the insainly long support cmedia is giving to chips like the 8738(hell i have seen 8738 based cards on newegg in the past year) mind you the 8738 is the same age as the sblive first run cards!!!!!!

my initial impression of the whole issue when it erupted a couple of months ago, was that it could be an issue with Creative and Auzen - as Auzentech had Dolby encoding enabled, Creative didn't (although their cards were capable). Dolby encoding was a big selling point with the Prelude . . . but, based on Creative's reaction then, I had gotten the feeling that they were being pressured to act.

But, it's very true, though, that hardware manufacturers will sometimes kill or disable features as time goes on . . . they just don't trip over themselves and publicly admit to it like Creative did. That little incident right there, IMO, will go down in the list of top-10 biggest tech blunders. Partly why I think they were pressured to act, if it was of their own accord, you think they would've at least reviewed it a little better . . .

and after reading this post my openion of YOU has changed, but my openion of how your earlyer posts in this thred came off hasnt :)

now go play some games or something :D

s'all good - I'm just trying to shed some light on the other sides of the argument, that's all. There are a lot of Creative bashers out there who go on without any real definitive argument, and there are also many who just enjoy the mob-mentality. But, in trying to show the other side of the argument, I realize I'm going to come across as being a fanboi (and it helps that I can stay reasonably level-headed as well :laugh:), especially to those who are fed up with the companies practices, and even moreso when the subject matter is as heated as the issue with the dan_k drivers has been.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Alright Can we get back on Track:wtf:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
and this really makes me feel 'i told you so'

Many times, even on this forum iv'e told people that creative dont support daniel_k and his drivers, and never did - and heres the proof (again)

I'll be getting the HDMI xonar as my next card, and never going back to creative until they start supporting older products.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
and this really makes me feel 'i told you so'

Many times, even on this forum iv'e told people that creative dont support daniel_k and his drivers, and never did - and heres the proof (again)

I'll be getting the HDMI xonar as my next card, and never going back to creative until they start supporting older products.

Speaking of Which, Next system Build will probably have a HT Omega Sound Unit in mine heh.

System Name 0BL1V10N
Processor Intel Core i7 11700K @ 5.1GHz all-core turbo
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Taichi
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid 360 (with stock CM fans), 12x Pccooler Moonlight Series ARGB 120mm fans
Memory (4x16GB) 64GB Mushkin Redline Lumina 3600MHz 16-19-19-39 XMP
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID 24G (not using stock fans) (+150MHz core, +1000MHz memory)
Storage Western Digital Black SN850X 2TB Gen4 NVMe
Display(s) 1x Alienware AW3821DW (3840x1600@144Hz), 2x Dell SE2717H (1080p@75Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719 Anthracite Grey
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modius + Drop THX AAA 789 + Custom Planar Magnetic Headphones
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1200W (12VHPWR)
Mouse Logitech G502 X Plus
Keyboard Too many custom mechanical builds to list...
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Speaking of Which, Next system Build will probably have a HT Omega Sound Unit in mine heh.

Anything with the Oxygen HD chipset in it will be great.

My Auzentech X-Meridian is absolutely stunning. Gaming performance is not as good as the X-Fi but sound quality I put to the X-Meridian any day. The design of this card is second to none.

I see no reason to go to Creative unless you are dedicated to needing true EAX support and even then the ASUS cards emulate that very well.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
I don't even care if they support older products on new OSes, so long as they officially EOL'd the product. X-Fi isn't EOL, so it should have all of it's features enabled for Vista as well as XP, especially considering X-Fi products are "Vista Ready".

But as far as this email to D_K, even if it is a fake, I don't blame him for throwing in the towel. No matter how you look at it, Creative is treating their customers unfairly. The EULA be damned. "An unjust law is no law at all." -St Augustine

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Wow Creative just lost a customer in me. I see hardware like any other thing I buy. Its mine. I should be able to do what I want with it. Bottom line is he wasn't making profit. He did this because he was just that good/kind. If Honda, Toyota, Ford or Chevy let you mod their software for better performance why cant creative? I cant tell you how many times Iv flashed my Mustang (no jokes) and got better than stock performance. Can you imagine if auto makers took this stance? "We will take legal action against all mechanics or drivers if they fix our cars, acquire better gas mileage or drive over 30 mph as stated in the EULA."

imperialreign,
FYI automakers do have EULA. When you buy a car and you sign all them little papers it states in the fine print you wont do anything unlawful in the vehicle. Now I ask you how many times have YOU went over the speed limit or did a U-turn and got a ticket from your cars manufacturer?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

I've got the stuff(files etc),i'm just gonna enable ddl on my x-fi.Blow me creative.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I've got the stuff(files etc),i'm just gonna enable ddl on my x-fi.Blow me creative.

if you get that working let me know. i have a few friends with X-fi cards who tried, and failed to get it to work. (wrong drivers, i beleive)

jydie

Processor Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (socket 939)
Motherboard ASUS A8R-MVP Express200
Cooling Standard AMD CPU Heatsink/Fan
Memory 1GB Geil PC3200
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon X1900GT
Storage 2 Maxtor 7200 HDD (80GB)
Display(s) Samsung 19" LCD
Case Yellow Chieftech Dragon
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply Thermaltake TT-420AD
Software Windows XP Home
First off, I get really mad when a company fails to release driver updates for some of their older products.

Creative are fools... ATI has not been supporting some of the newer video cards that come out for AGP, but thanks to the Omega drivers these cards work fine with the new drivers. If ATI/AMD forced Omega to stop releasing these drivers then a LOT of people would be angry and ATI would suffer with less sales. If anything, ATI should thank him for helping them out. Creative should be thankinig Daniel K, not threatening him.

I do not own any creative sound cards. I do not desire much from audio since my PC has a simple 2 speaker setup, so I just use onboard sound. But, if I ever buy a sound card it will NOT be one from Creative. For the price you pay, they should support their products for a long time by releasing updated drivers. I am glad they got caught in a lie... they deserve to have their name tarnished for that!!! :shadedshu

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
BS dude, you dont look hard enough

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=31542

Also most games ive played Omega Drivers tend to screw them up, thats the risk you take onto your own, reason The big companies dont support the Creators is because they dont want to be answering questions when the person that created the drivers is the one that is supposed to know.

First off, I get really mad when a company fails to release driver updates for some of their older products.

Creative are fools... ATI has not been supporting some of the newer video cards that come out for AGP, but thanks to the Omega drivers these cards work fine with the new drivers. If ATI/AMD forced Omega to stop releasing these drivers then a LOT of people would be angry and ATI would suffer with less sales. If anything, ATI should thank him for helping them out. Creative should be thankinig Daniel K, not threatening him.

I do not own any creative sound cards. I do not desire much from audio since my PC has a simple 2 speaker setup, so I just use onboard sound. But, if I ever buy a sound card it will NOT be one from Creative. For the price you pay, they should support their products for a long time by releasing updated drivers. I am glad they got caught in a lie... they deserve to have their name tarnished for that!!! :shadedshu

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_room_design

read that to get a good definition of how ReactOS was created.

http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

They say here that this is a "ground up implementation". Like I said before, if Daniel wants to build drivers from scratch, he should. But these are modified drivers.

Secondly, this will never reach the popularity similar to the modified creative drivers mentioned here.

The crucial thing here, is that Daniel blew his chance by unlocking extra features. Creative clearly wanted to end this there and then, and set a precedent. At that point they became "hacks" and creative excercised their right (which always existed) to end this. A promise not to unlock anything after this means nothing. I may be wrong in the last bit, but he seems to have done exactly this with Vista drivers by enabling things which otherwise didnt exist in the Vista drivers.

Processor I7 4770k
Motherboard ASUS z87 pro
Cooling Corsair a50
Case Cool Master
Power Supply hiper 880
Software win 7 ult
Dont really matter what way he came about fixing all of creatives problems with xp-vista, what matter is creative is using their drivers to criple your $200 card so it doesnt work in vista so you(the customer) will buy a new card, even though the 2 month old $200 card says VISTA READY on the box. Cats out of the bag, no excuse for it.

System Name Addison Clark
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E-I Gaming
Cooling Custom Bykski loop CPU and GPU
Memory G.Skill DDR5-6000 64GB CL30
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master
Storage Kingston Fury 2TB and 4TB NVME
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Audio Device(s) Asus Hive
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000w SFX-L
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platnium
Software Win 11 Pro
just my $.02

for starters, we can't compare ATI or nVidia's or any other comapny allowing users to get away with "cracking" their hardware to Creative. As stated before, the technologies are Creative's property, and it's their call what's allowable, and what's not - doesn't matter if it's 3rd party drivers or not. It makes no difference if other companies allow users to unlock features - that's their call. And if enabled features allow access to things that are supposed to be disabled due to any legal agreements between Creative and other companys.

Keep in mind as well that in the audio market, people hold on to audio cards for overly long periods of time - even after product support has reached EOL, there are still many users who won't give them up - in their mind, the card still works, still sounds good, why purchase another? There are still users out there running Live! initial-release cards (that dates back to 1998). What other type of 10-year old hardware in any of our systems can we utilize to run current applications and software? This is where I can kind of see Creative's stand, if they don't start locking and disabling features, users will never move up to newer hardware, and the company could risk losing money as well.

and about this:

there's still no word yet if this last statement from Creative to Daniel is even official, and he has mentioned so himself in the OP on their forums. It could be someone just trying to prank him - I would imagine that if the message were legit, it would be more long winded than just one sentence, and wouldn't sound so abrupt.

Also, if it were from Creative, I'd imagine that there'd be a signature or at least a name at the bottom of the message, and a link back to the companies main site or the email of the signee - not a link back to the Creative Forums.

It's not legal-looking enough to be an official statement from a multi-million dollar company; especially when compared to the first statements they ever made.

Sadly, this will blow out of proportion again with mob-like mentality taking the reigns instead of anyone actually stopping to think about all the circumstances involved. :shadedshu

This is the most sophisticated post I have seen in this post. I used my Audigy 2ZS for about 5 years and only upgraded cause my card and Vista had issues, which are now fixed due to daniel_k. Wonderful drivers and if you haven't tried them check this site out. http://nomoregoatsoup.wordpress.com/x-fi-drivers/

donmarkoni

Processor Core i7 920 C0 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard DFI LanParty UT X58
Cooling EK Supreme + Black Ice GT Stealth 360 XFlow
Memory GEIL 3x2GB 1600MHz @ 7-8-7-20-1T
Video Card(s) 2x XFX GTX280 1GB @ 702/1512/2592
Storage Seagate 320GB + WD 640GB + WD400GB + WD 1TB
Case Chieftec Dragon BigTower
Power Supply ThermalTake 850W 2x18A + 2x30A
This is unbelieveable! Creative WILL loose so much customers and money because of this.
Anyone remember NVIDIA and unlocking shaders? They are smart company! People unlocked shaders and loved NVIDIA cards for that! NV didn't sued RivaTuner's author. They changed their way of disabling shaders and no one complained, everyone were satisfied with what they had before, even if they couldn't have it with newer GPUs.
I won't discuss who is right and who is not, because there is allmost nothing else to say, but i'll have to say that, as a proffesional overclocker and amatuer modder, i'm 100% by daniel_k's side!
Stupid move, creative, stupid...

HousERaT

Processor Q6700
Motherboard Asus Maximus Formula
Cooling Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Ballistix Tracer 8500
Video Card(s) HD 3870 Crossfire
Storage 74G Raptor
Display(s) A Sony big one
Case Kingwin SK523
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software Yes :p
My last sound card was a Creative. It will be my last Creative sound card. They're officially on my BOYCOTT list.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
seeing as how this thread has brought a lot of users out of the woodworks -

I just have one question for everyone that has decided that this incident is the last straw . . . what if, per chance, this little message to dan_k from "Creative" does turn out to be a hoax?

I'm only mentioning based on the fact that over the last couple of months, since the first incident with the dan_k drivers hit the i-net, Creative seems to have been making changes here and there back in the right direction . . . considering the fallout of the last incident, there's a good possiblity they might be trying to clean up their PR - for how long they'll stick with it is questionable - but what if they are trying to turn around and that message was just a hoax?

Processor I7 4770k
Motherboard ASUS z87 pro
Cooling Corsair a50
Case Cool Master
Power Supply hiper 880
Software win 7 ult
If it was a hoax you bet your ass someone over at the creative forums would say so after all this bad pr. Ive been on 5 different forums and all are done with creative, think they would clear the air if its a hoax. ALLEN

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
I'd hope so . . . but considering how long it took them to respond to the user outcry after the initial incident a couple of months ago . . . :shadedshu

Perhaps this incident will prove if their PR department has actually learned anything

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
Big Fing LOL, took a little while for them to go look into the email they sent......Their forum board must work on the same time table as their driver team....

daniel_k
04-03-2008 06:39 AM

I've received another cease and desist e-mail.

I'm done with Creative, enough is enough.

Don't even bother asking me for the files.

KokChoy-CL
Administrator

06-08-2008 06:25 PM
I have noted the issue, please allow us time to verify the legitimacy of that email.

For those who just join in to post your rants/curses, you know who you are. The forum rules are listed for a reason, this is not a place to vent your anger and post your abuses.

Kok Choy

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Big Fing LOL, took a little while for them to go look into the email they sent......Their forum board must work on the same time table as their driver team....

that comment right there cracked me up man! :laugh:

nice! :toast: