• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GT300 ''Fermi'' Detailed

System Name Gaming Rig
Processor Phenom II 940BE @ 3.7ghz
Motherboard ASUS M3A78-T
Cooling Coolermaster V8
Memory 4 x 2gb DDR2 800mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5870 (Asus bios)
Storage 2TB SEAGATE SATA2
Display(s) Samsung T240 24" Widescreen
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi extreme music
Power Supply Corsair TX 850W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
I still wonder will that 3 billion transistors really make a difference taking into account all the added cpu kind functionality? gt200 was much bigger than rv770 and yet that difference didn't really scaled well.
Just my two cents...:)

Time will tell.

Benetanegia

I still wonder will that 3 billion transistors really make a difference taking into account all the added cpu kind functionality? gt200 was much bigger than rv770 and yet that difference didn't really scaled well.
Just my two cents...:)

It's not the transistor count what you have to take into account, it's 512 SPs which is 2.15x more than in GT200. That paired with all the improvements in threading and load balancing means that Fermi has probably more than twice the power than GT200 has. After reading the whitepapers, I don't think that anything of that added "cpu kind" functionality will cripple performance, on the contrary: latencies have been dramatically decreased, interconnect bandwidth increased, there are added schedulers and threads...

Regarding the last sentence that's not accurate really. If you put a GTX285 at the same clocks as the HD4870 reference clocks it would more than scale beyond, HD4890 clocks... It's just two different ways of doing things, Nvidia has had the OC advantage in almost every chip in the recent years, mainly because they aim at lower clocks to begin with. And that being said we have no clue which clocks will GT300 launch at, it could be anything between 600-800 Mhz. Lower and higher is unlikely. If it's close to 600Mhz, then GT200 would be 2x as fast as GT200, if it launched near to 800Mhz it would be much faster than that. Point is we don't know exactly how it will perform, but looking at the specs it becomes more and more evident it will not be slow.

EDIT: Before this becomes a discussion, I'm not fighting with you at all. I'm just stating the posibilities, answering your questions trying to offer the different angles.

Yeah I don't really trust fudzilla enough to believe it 100%. I still think its a bit up in the air what release strategy they will have. Its not that I don't believe you Benetanegia, its that I don't believe fudzilla is truthful all the time.

I don't believe 100% either, and I'm not saying that's going to be true. But what I do think is that writen words that are claimed to come from a CEO >>>>>>>>> speculation and thoughts of a member with no info to back his claims. So since all this is speculation, and all of us are talking from speculation, I put both things in a balance and I have no doubts as to which posible, especulated, reality is the one with more probabilities. Specially since most of the other info there regarding GTC is true. Even if Fudzilla is not the most believable source, truth is that with GT300, they've been correct in the last two days and also overally. For instance I think they were the first ones mentioning the real codename Fermi.

What is clear IMO is that he had already made his mind around an idea, he didn't know who Jensen Huang is nor what GTC is, so he thought he was making his claim stronger in his second reply, while he wasn't, and he is unable to change his position after that on his next posts.

Point is, even if that info is not 100% accurate, the posibility that it could not happen that way is not enough to assure his claims. Uncertainty is never a proof of anything, and seriously I'm starting to believe I've traveled to an alien world or something, because I'm seing uncertainty used as proof everywhere: like in BM: Arkham, TWIMTBP as a whole, in the spaniard TV... It's the world becoming crazy or what?

Last edited:
System Name Shadow Warrior
Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Gaming X AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB White
Memory 64GB 6000Mhz cl30
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT
Storage 12TB NVME + 16TB SSD + 2x12TB 5400rpm
Display(s) HP X34 Ultrawide 165hz
Case Fractal Design Define 7 (modded)
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX AE-5+ / Topping DX5 Lite (Dan Clark Audio Aeon2 closed)
Power Supply Corsair hx1000i
Mouse Roccat Kain 120 aimo / Roccat Burst Pro
Keyboard Cherry Stream 3.0 SX-switches
VR HMD Quest 1, Pico 4 128GB
Software Win11 x64
Processor Intel Core i5 3450 - 3.1 GHz
Motherboard ASROCK Z77 PRO3
Cooling Stock Cooler
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) Memory Kit PC3-17066 2133MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) PNY NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660 XLR8 (2GB, GDDR5, PCI-E x16)
Storage 4x500GB Samsung Spinpoint T166 RAID 10
Display(s) LG D2342P-PN.AEK 23'' 3D
Case APEVIA X-Cruiser Silver
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
It's not the transistor count what you have to take into account, it's 512 SPs which is 2.15x more than in GT200. That paired with all the improvements in threading and load balancing means that Fermi has probably more than twice the power than GT200 has. After reading the whitepapers, I don't think that anything of that added "cpu kind" functionality will cripple performance, on the contrary: latencies have been dramatically decreased, interconnect bandwidth increased, there are added schedulers and threads...

Regarding the last sentence that's not accurate really. If you put a GTX285 at the same clocks as the HD4870 reference clocks it would more than scale beyond, HD4890 clocks... It's just two different ways of doing things, Nvidia has had the OC advantage in almost every chip in the recent years, mainly because they aim at lower clocks to begin with. And that being said we have no clue which clocks will GT300 launch at, it could be anything between 600-800 Mhz. Lower and higher is unlikely. If it's close to 600Mhz, then GT200 would be 2x as fast as GT200, if it launched near to 800Mhz it would be much faster than that. Point is we don't know exactly how it will perform, but looking at the specs it becomes more and more evident it will not be slow.

I'm not saying it's true either, but everywhere I look its: "OMG it has 3 Billion transistors, it must be fast" :) while rv770 proved otherwise already. As for my second sentence, it's refering to the first one really. By looking at real game performance 1.4 billion against 956 million wasn't really translating into 50% more performance now was it :).

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
I really don't care which one is faster as long as the faster one isn't way faster.

Why, you ask? Because if so, the winning one can behave much like Intel VS AMD (price wise) and, IMHO, that's a BIG no no.

Apparently (on paper), nVidia will win this round (if and when "Fermi" is launched): the question is, by how much.

As long as they are both close to each other, then we can all benefit from their price wars.

h3llb3nd4

System Name My mobo is Laughing at me
Processor E7400
Motherboard P5KPL-E Bios flashed to 0601 (Piece of poo!!)
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120a
Memory GENERIC 2 GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) NONE!! Beat that!!
Storage 500GB SAMSUNG SATAII, 250GB SAMSUNG SATAII and o'l crappy 4gb maxtor
Display(s) ACER X223W Q
Case AEROCOOL ZERODEGREE (planning to mod)
Audio Device(s) REALTEK ONBOARD
Power Supply GIGABYTE 460W
Software Win 7 x86 build 7022
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 1m 17.000 :(
I really don't care which one is faster as long as the faster one isn't way faster.

Why, you ask? Because if so, the winning one can behave much like Intel VS AMD (price wise) and, IMHO, that's a BIG no no.

Apparently (on paper), nVidia will win this round (if and when "Fermi" is launched): the question is, by how much.

As long as they are both close to each other, then we can all benefit from their price wars.

It doesn't matter how much it faster, as LONG as AMD has something afforable with good performance. This is the right way to say it.

It doesn't matter if NVIDIA put out a $700 or $1000 or $1b gpus, because those gpus are not meant to be mainstream. Those gpus are not meant to be good price/performance.

Even if the margin is small (1-5% faster), they still can sell it for x2 more the price.
The performance gap is not a problem, I repeat, as long as AMD has something good on their side, then we're (consumers) all good.

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10

EDIT: Before this becomes a discussion, I'm not fighting with you at all. I'm just stating the posibilities, answering your questions trying to offer the different angles.

I don't believe 100% either, and I'm not saying that's going to be true. But what I do think is that writen words that are claimed to come from a CEO >>>>>>>>> speculation and thoughts of a member with no info to back his claims. So since all this is speculation, and all of us are talking from speculation, I put both things in a balance and I have no doubts as to which posible, especulated, reality is the one with more probabilities. Specially since most of the other info there regarding GTC is true. Even if Fudzilla is not the most believable source, truth is that with GT300, they've been correct in the last two days and also overally. For instance I think they were the first ones mentioning the real codename Fermi.

What is clear IMO is that he had already made his mind around an idea, he didn't know who Jensen Huang is nor what GTC is, so he thought he was making his claim stronger in his second reply, while he wasn't, and he is unable to change his position after that on his next posts.

Point is, even if that info is not 100% accurate, the posibility that it could not happen that way is not enough to assure his claims. Uncertainty is never a proof of anything, and seriously I'm starting to believe I've traveled to an alien world or something, because I'm seing uncertainty used as proof everywhere: like in BM: Arkham, TWIMTBP as a whole, in the spaniard TV... It's the world becoming crazy or what?

These are all valid points, but you have to remember one thing - usally complex and big chips don't like high frequencies. We should really wait and see the final specs. I'm pretty sure it will be faster than 5870, still the question is how much faster exactly.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
The way I am looking at it Nvidia did the smart thing, instead of relying on the old MADD architecture they finally upgraded to something better, as for frequencies nobody knows but one thing is for sure ATI doubled the specs of their 5870 over the old gen and got what, a 40% performance boost across the board, Nvidia did the same exact thing with their GT200's and got the same result nearly, because they kept the same old architecture so I think Nvidia made the right move this time, I am expecting more from the GT300's than I did for the HD5870.

Mimd based architectures are going to be the way of the future, no the old Scalar architecture.

I was really really suprised when I saw how small the card was though, I was just amazed, because Nvidia usually makes the High end cards very long but this time they are moving in the right direction.

OnBoard

Processor Core i5-750 @ 3.6GHz 1.136V 24/7
Motherboard Gigabyte P55A-UD3, SATA 6Gbit/s & USB3.0 baby!
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken HeatpipeDirectTouch
Memory Geil Ultra Series 4GB 2133MHz DDR3 @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-24
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC (mostly stock speeds)
Storage OS: Samsung F3 500GB Games: Samsung F1 640GB
Display(s) new! Samsung P2350 23" FullHD 2ms / Mirai DTL-632E500 32" LCD
Case new! Xigmatek Midgard/Utgard side window with red cathodes, 1x140mm & 3x120mm fans
Audio Device(s) new! ASUS Xonar DG & JVC HA-RX700 headphones
Power Supply Cougar CM 700W Modular
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Benchmark Scores Logitech UltraX Premium & G5 laser v2 + Ulti-mat Breathe X2 for fragging

Just 8 pin power :confused: And 2 pins more? No way will it run with just one power plug, or it's a miracle card.

But looks really nice, about time people get a bit of bling too for how much they have to pay :)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
You have to remember that 8-pin isn't just the addition of 2 extra pins(really those are just ground pins anyway, so they could have been left off). The real change with the 8-pin introduction was the doubling of the power provided according to the specifications. The addition of the two pins doesn't really do anything, I think it was just done to make it easy to tell the difference in supplied/required power.

OnBoard

Processor Core i5-750 @ 3.6GHz 1.136V 24/7
Motherboard Gigabyte P55A-UD3, SATA 6Gbit/s & USB3.0 baby!
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken HeatpipeDirectTouch
Memory Geil Ultra Series 4GB 2133MHz DDR3 @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-24
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC (mostly stock speeds)
Storage OS: Samsung F3 500GB Games: Samsung F1 640GB
Display(s) new! Samsung P2350 23" FullHD 2ms / Mirai DTL-632E500 32" LCD
Case new! Xigmatek Midgard/Utgard side window with red cathodes, 1x140mm & 3x120mm fans
Audio Device(s) new! ASUS Xonar DG & JVC HA-RX700 headphones
Power Supply Cougar CM 700W Modular
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Benchmark Scores Logitech UltraX Premium & G5 laser v2 + Ulti-mat Breathe X2 for fragging
You have to remember that 8-pin isn't just the addition of 2 extra pins(really those are just ground pins anyway, so they could have been left off). The real change with the 8-pin introduction was the doubling of the power provided according to the specifications. The addition of the two pins doesn't really do anything, I think it was just done to make it easy to tell the difference in supplied/required power.

Yep (well more ground should allow more amps from 12v), but in that picture there is 8 pins + 2 pins.

GTX 280 needs 8pins+6pins and this is more that double the transistors, that's why I'm not buying it, even if it is smaller manufacturing process.

Benetanegia

I'm not saying it's true either, but everywhere I look its: "OMG it has 3 Billion transistors, it must be fast" :) while rv770 proved otherwise already. As for my second sentence, it's refering to the first one really. By looking at real game performance 1.4 billion against 956 million wasn't really translating into 50% more performance now was it :).

It depends. This is the average of all games performance at 2560x1600 from Wizzard's HD5870 review.

Compared to HD5870 the GTX285 is doing 78% and HD4870 is doing 50%, if we normalize 50% to being 100% and take it as the base, then:

78/50 * 100 = 156%

That is at 2560x1600 the GTX285 is 56% faster than HD4870 in the average of all the games that Wizzard reviews.

But wait!! Ati had another 956 million transistor card, using the same chip the HD4850, we apply the same math and that gives us that GTX285 is 95% faster or almost twice as fast. 40% more transistors and 2x the performance not too shaby isn't it? GTX285's clock is 648 Mhz, HD4870 is 750 Mhz and HD4850 is 625 Mhz.

Comparing the card at 2560x1600 does make sense, because a lot of that extra 40% transistors went to the extra 16 ROPs that help at that resolution.

What I mean with all this is, it depends.

you know, benetanegia,

i bet a gtx380 scores "125%" on that chart in W1zzards review in December :)

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'm predicting that figure to be 115~120% on that chart.

Benetanegia

Since the lower numbers have been taken I'll say 135-140%. We have a poll going on here. :D

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
It depends. This is the average of all games performance at 2560x1600 from Wizzard's HD5870 review.

http://img.techpowerup.org/091001/perfrel_2560.gif

Compared to HD5870 the GTX285 is doing 78% and HD4870 is doing 50%, if we normalize 50% to being 100% and take it as the base, then:

78/50 * 100 = 156%

That is at 2560x1600 the GTX285 is 56% faster than HD4870 in the average of all the games that Wizzard reviews.

But wait!! Ati had another 956 million transistor card, using the same chip the HD4850, we apply the same math and that gives us that GTX285 is 95% faster or almost twice as fast. 40% more transistors and 2x the performance not too shaby isn't it? GTX285's clock is 648 Mhz, HD4870 is 750 Mhz and HD4850 is 625 Mhz.

Comparing the card at 2560x1600 does make sense, because a lot of that extra 40% transistors went to the extra 16 ROPs that help at that resolution.

I'm really starting to enjoy your posts Benetanegia, I'm glad you found TPU, or that TPU found you :)

EDIT: as for the poll ill go for 130% flat :)

Probably right btarunr, 20% faster, and 60% later than a 5870 sounds about right.

:)

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols

http://img.techpowerup.org/091001/perfrel_2560.gif

78/50 * 100 = 156%

285 was a revision, you need to redo your numbers using the 280 to start your theory. which btw is flawed as it's assuming since the 5870 is twice the speed of the 4870 that the gt300 will be twice the speed of the gt200. it could be more than twice the speed, it could be less. we have zero numbers to go on atm, just paper specs.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Just 8 pin power :confused: And 2 pins more? No way will it run with just one power plug, or it's a miracle card.

One 6-pin connector on the 'top' (placeholder for 8-pin), one 8-pin one at the 'rear'.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Half Speed IEEE 754 Double Precision floating point

This is extraordinary performance... assuming is means what it is suggesting. This thing will walk the floor on CUDA, math and Physx. A new world order on computational accelerators has just opened.

I predict RIP for http://www.clearspeed.com/

PS. Who prefers the "matte" look of the ATI, or the "glossy" look of the nV?

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
PS. Who prefers the "matte" look of the ATI, or the "glossy" look of the nV?

Doesn't really matter that much to me, all those pretty stickers and glossy finishes will be facing down all the time anyway... :p

I wonder why no one has come with a killer backplate design, I mean, I know it wouldn't have any practical function, but wouldn't it be nice to have something you can actually see when you stare at your case's window instead of a PCB or an all black backplate?... :confused:

Benetanegia

285 was a revision, you need to redo your numbers using the 280 to start your theory. which btw is flawed as it's assuming since the 5870 is twice the speed of the 4870 that the gt300 will be twice the speed of the gt200. it could be more than twice the speed, it could be less. we have zero numbers to go on atm, just paper specs.

Why do I have to redo the numbers? GTX285 and GTX280 use the exact same architecture, only difference is clocks, it's absolutely irrelevant which one I use, when my point is precisely that clocks matter. GT200 didn't offer less performance per billion transistor than RV770, even when RV770 runs 100 Mhz faster GTX285 performs significantly better than the % increase in transistors. At similar clocks the 1.4 billion card performs almost twice as fast as the 1 billion card. So that refutes the claim of "same performance, more transistors".

Anyway we are not comparing GT200/RV770, we are talking about Fermi. Fermi has 3 billion transistors and just like GT200 it will use every one of them in being significantly faster than RV870. I'm not assuming it will be twice as fast as GT200, although I know it will be somewhere around. Twice as fast would have been if we said that in the chart it would be 156%, I said 135-140% quite different. Looking at the papers, we don't have any reason to think it will be twice as fast, what we have is some reasons to think it will be 3x faster, but we are saying it will be less than twice.