• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Forbids GeForce Driver Deployment in Data Centers

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
That's bad when you manage to make Intel's antics look good.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Nice problem to have, everyone wants your products. Great efficiency and great ecosystem.

Think of the children!!!!!1

And are you sure this applies to commercial use? I.e. does a company also have the right to use things however it wants? Or is it just the consumers?
In the USA, and most of the civilized world, entities are treated as actual citizens, unfortunately. This status gives them the same, if not similar, rights.
What about typical software licenses?
They do not apply the same way. Any software that is required by or requires to function a specific hardware part, is legally bound to that hardware as a package. Manufacturers do not ever have the right to tell a private entity, be they are person, government, busines, etc., what they may or may not do with property they own. To lesser degree, the same applies to software as a stand alone product.
If you're right about NV, what stops companies from using non-commercial software?
Nothing, they do it all the time. It's not illegal or even unethical. The software dev can ask, they can even try to require that only commercial/business products be used in such environments, but statutory ownership/usage rights superceed those conditions and even copyright law itself.
In most cases (Microsoft, for example) a fully featured free version is available for learning. Why are companies paying millions for commercial SQL Server or Visual Studio?
Academic software is trickier, but at the end of the day, once you purchase academic software, it is yours to use in a manner that fits your needs. There are severe complexities that make software usage in a business/commercial environment somewhat iffy, but again that depends on use. In the context of NVidia's clauses, they state whatever they wish. What they can enforce is something else entirely.
This is an update to the GeForce EULA. How is this different to any other EULA enforcement case?
Just because something is in a contract doesn't automatically make it enforceable or even lawful. That's why consumer protection laws exist the world over. Those same laws generally apply to all consumers, including businesses. In this case, NVidia is blowing wind out their bum.

In the USA, and most of the civilized world, entities are treated as actual citizens, unfortunately. This status gives them the same, if not similar, rights.
By all means, no. Not true.
They do not apply the same way. Any software that is required by or requires to function a specific hardware part, is legally bound to that hardware as a package. Manufacturers do not ever have the right to tell a private entity, be they are person, government, busines, etc., what they may or may not do with property they own. To lesser degree, the same applies to software as a stand alone product.
Can you support it with something? :-D
And you're wrong in the general statement that I've underlined. Manufacturers don't tell you what you can do. They tell you what you can't do - and they are allowed to do that - based on copyright.
The software dev can ask, they can even try to require that only commercial/business products be used in such environments, but statutory ownership/usage rights superceed those conditions and even copyright law itself.
Wrong again. Copyright is the fundamental ownership right. It is above the rights that the buyer/user has. Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense.
Just because something is in a contract doesn't automatically make it enforceable or even lawful. That's why consumer protection laws exist the world over. Those same laws generally apply to all consumers, including businesses. In this case, NVidia is blowing wind out their bum.
Licensing is both enforceable and lawful. It has been for decades.
I just don't get how you missed that. What have you been doing for the last 30 years? :p

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Consumer protection laws do not generally apply to all consumers. Or rather, they do, but businesses are not always defined to be part of consumers.

Enforcability is actually a really good question. I have a feeling that Nvidia has no plans to take this to court because that would just take too long. Cloud service provider likely has other contracts with Nvidia that will be used as leverage. Btw, Titans are almost exclusively sold by Nvidia themselves and warranty terms also state that datacenter usage voids warranty.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Hosting machines don't use Titans. This won't affect hosting costs one bit.

Or, you know, it could be that the data center companies advertise machines with desktop cards right on their websites...
it will because a lot more companies are offering them for compute ops. database performance is much faster.

Or rather, they do, but businesses are not always defined to be part of consumers.
True, and that's why I stated the term "generally". There are exceptions and whatnot. But many of those protections are there for business consumers.
Enforcability is actually a really good question. I have a feeling that Nvidia has no plans to take this to court because that would just take too long. Cloud service provider likely has other contracts with Nvidia that will be used as leverage. Btw, Titans are almost exclusively sold by Nvidia themselves and warranty terms also state that datacenter usage voids warranty.
The court option is always possible, whether or not it would succeed is going to depend on how good each legal counsel team is. Most companies would look at a loss of warranty status' as a part of the cost model. Not really gonna hold them back given the costs of the alternatives.

Last edited:
Processor R5 5600X
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Also, I do not think the current TitanX case is the real problem Nvidia wants to tackle. Given the timing of EULA change, they want to prevent Titan Vs from being deployed in datacenters in large numbers.

Also, I do not think the current TitanX case is the real problem Nvidia wants to tackle. Given the timing of EULA change, they want to prevent Titan Vs from being deployed in datacenters in large numbers.
That is very likely the motivation. The TitanV is a monstrous number cruncher.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
This nasty tactic is what happens when competition disappears - monopoly practices. Notice how NVIDIA don't say no to cryptomining. Why? Because AMD are still competitive there and actually beat NVIDIA hands down, that's why.

It could well be that a lawsuit will stop them doing this. After all, datacentre operators have got money behind them unlike the average Joe like us and can fight back against such malpractice.

Processor R5 5600X
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
qubit, what exactly makes this tactic nasty? Product segmentation is done by everyone.

They are not excluding cryptomining because AMD is more competitive there. They are excluding it because there is money in it for them unlike using Geforces for GPGPU/HPC applications.

Lawsuit, which is not likely to happen or I would say is not likely to be won by datacenter operators, would probably result in no more fully functional Titans rather than any other outcome. The reason datacenter operators have got money behind them is that they make money off the service that at least in part relies on the hardware in question. That makes it contractually and legally different from consumer use of cards.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
This nasty tactic is what happens when competition disappears - monopoly practices. Notice how NVIDIA don't say no to cryptomining. Why? Because AMD are still competitive there and actually beat NVIDIA hands down, that's why.

It could well be that a lawsuit will stop them doing this. After all, datacentre operators have got money behind them unlike the average Joe like us and can fight back against such malpractice.
nVidia, the way you're meant to get played.

These kinds of business practices along with the hostility against the open source community is the very reason why I'm tolerating my 390.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
qubit, what exactly makes this tactic nasty? Product segmentation is done by everyone.

They are not excluding cryptomining because AMD is more competitive there. They are excluding it because there is money in it for them unlike using Geforces for GPGPU/HPC applications.

Lawsuit, which is not likely to happen or I would say is not likely to be won by datacenter operators, would probably result in no more fully functional Titans rather than any other outcome. The reason datacenter operators have got money behind them is that they make money off the service that at least in part relies on the hardware in question. That makes it contractually and legally different from consumer use of cards.
There's a difference between genuine product segmentation and an obvious money grab, which this is.

A genuine example of product segmentation is between a GeForce card and it's Quadro or Tesla equivalent. Those professional cards will have near enough the same processing power in games, but have other hardware and software differences, such as more reliable hardware (eg ECC memory) cherry picked GPUs and general board design and greater effort spent on debugging and validation of the hardware and drivers as well as better customer support from NVIDIA. That's where all that extra money goes - as well as a reassuringly expensive markup, of course. ;)

And yes, it's exactly because they know AMD is competitive in crypto. What do you think would happen if they excluded that too? All data centres using their cards for crypto would go AMD. Duh!

Yes, there are those legal differences, but I don't think they trump what I've said above.

nVidia, the way you're meant to get played.

These kinds of business practices along with the hostility against the open source community is the very reason why I'm tolerating my 390.
One does wonder how much influence Microsoft has in fostering such "hostilities" in the background. I'm thinking about their anti-Linux propaganda about a decade ago regarding "naked PCs" etc.

Processor R5 5600X
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
There's a difference between genuine product segmentation and an obvious money grab, which this is.

A genuine example of product segmentation is between a GeForce card and it's Quadro or Tesla equivalent. Those professional cards will have near enough the same processing power in games, but have other hardware and software differences, such as more reliable hardware (eg ECC memory) cherry picked GPUs and general board design and greater effort spent on debugging and validation of the hardware and drivers as well as better customer support from NVIDIA. That's where all that extra money goes - as well as a reassuringly expensive markup, of course. ;)
Wait, what are you saying? When we look at what Quadro or Tesla equivalents provide over Geforce, then:
Hardware differences - Perhaps minor but check
Software differences - Check
More reliable hardware, board design etc - Check.
Greater effort on debugging validation etc - Check
Drivers and support - Check
Reassuringly expensive markup - Definitely check
What makes it not a genuine segmentation?

And yes, it's exactly because they know AMD is competitive in crypto. What do you think would happen if they excluded that too? All data centres using their cards for crypto would go AMD. Duh!
Why would they want to exclude cryptomining? What would be the reasoning behind it? They do not have crypto-specific hardware that they would rather want to sell. Or maybe they do but crypto-specific cards have so far been cheaper than standard Geforces and they probably do not mind all that much about someone buying more expensive stuff. AMD being more competitive is more of an afterthought here.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Wait, what are you saying? When we look at what Quadro or Tesla equivalents provide over Geforce, then:
Hardware differences - Perhaps minor but check
Software differences - Check
More reliable hardware, board design etc - Check.
Greater effort on debugging validation etc - Check
Drivers and support - Check
Reassuringly expensive markup - Definitely check
What makes it not a genuine segmentation?
I'm not sure you're comprehending properly here. I said, "A genuine example of product segmentation is between a GeForce card and it's Quadro or Tesla equivalent" and then went on to list those differences you checked off. So how did you manage to understand the opposite? Maybe you just got confused which I could forgive you for. Also, I wouldn't call a more expensive type of RAM with error correction a minor difference.

I don't know why you're still arguing about the cryptomining.

Processor R5 5600X
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
I'm not sure you're comprehending properly here. I said, "A genuine example of product segmentation is between a GeForce card and it's Quadro or Tesla equivalent" and then went on to list those differences you checked off. So how did you manage to understand the opposite? Maybe you just got confused which I could forgive you for. Also, I wouldn't call a more expensive type of RAM with error correction a minor difference.
You are right, I somehow completely misunderstood what you said.
But that is exactly the product segmentation that we are talking about. What makes this an obvious money grab then as opposed to normal product segmentation?

I don't know why you're still arguing about the cryptomining.
While you claim it is all about AMD, there are pretty clear and simple business reasons for excluding cryptomining other than anything to do with AMD.

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Is this fightable in a court? After all, I am not leasing those cards from Nvidia, they belong to me (just an example) and are pointless without drivers. And there has to be a justification WHY they cannot be used for said purposes.
Then again, not many would want to go against Nvidia, they have big coffers and the court process would last years and years, as is usual in these kinds of situations...

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
I believe this will mostly affect the Titan brand cards as they were good alternatives for render machines with their high amounts of ram. I am trying to remember what big animation company used bunches of Titans in their servers to render 3D animation (Pixar maybe?). I don't think there is really going to be a problem with like GTX 1080 in data centers, just really the Titans (Unless something like the 1080ti is also being used now).

Either way, not a big fan of this. Seems the Titan series keeps losing points over and over again...

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro rev1.1
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer 280 w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 PWM
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600@CL16 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 6800 XT @2600
Storage NVME: A-data SX8200 PRO 512 GB M2 +Gammix S11 Pro 1 TB M2 +Patriot 1 TB; 1 TB;HDD 3TB+2TB+4TB+8TB
Display(s) Lenovo Legion Y27q-20
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GX GOLD 850W /UPS Mustek 1000 VA @600W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 110/Logitech G203
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB
Software W10 Enterprise
The short answer is: by buying software you're signing the EULA, which is fundamentally built around copyright (no other way, to be honest).

Buying software? where the hell did Sakura buy software? they bought gpus, not software, and EULA is worthless in courts, EULA does not mean anything in a court, btw, a peasant or a big company can use however they see fit a product they bought (except software in some cases).

Buying software? where the hell did Sakura buy software? they bought gpus, not software, and EULA is worthless in courts, EULA does not mean anything in a court, btw, a peasant or a big company can use however they see fit a product they bought (except software in some cases).
No, it has been explained already. A GPU comes with drivers. There is an EULA for these drivers.

If you don't want to use the original drivers, you have 2 choices:
1) use your GPU as a paperweight, bookholder or something similar,
2) use non-manufacturer drivers.
Going with (2) you're losing manufacturer's support and warranty - a no-go for commercial datacenters.

Looking at this problem from a more customer-ish perspective, most people aren't really buying much software. They are buying computers. A computer usually includes something called Windows and something called MS Office. So, in your opinion, is this customer buying just hardware or also software?

And on the other hand, there is some software built-in the PC electronics (BIOS and other low-level stuff). These can be copyright-protected as well.

Do you own a car? Cars have huge amounts of software - not just drivers etc, but also the OS that operates the interfaces. Via the console (radio, navigation and stuff) you should be able to find the license information. So you bought a vehicle, but some software copyright is still in force.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Yeah because we should all enjoy large datacenter companies gobble up ALL of the CONSUMER oriented gpu's so prices will go even higher for regular CONSUMER grade video cards and then we can complain to Nvidia that our Geforce cards are expensive in stores right?

This is a good move from Nvidia.
Nvidia can always produce more Titan/GeForce cards, or lower the price of Tesla/Quadro cards. Whatever suits them better.

System Name Current Rig
Processor Intel 12700K@5.1GHz
Motherboard MSI Pro Z790-P
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360mm
Memory 2x16GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio 6800 16GB
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Cooler Master Storm Striker
Power Supply Antec True Power 750w
Keyboard IBM Model 'M"
And people continue to feed this Green Goblin. They can keep doing what they want because people buy their stuff, even when it's worse than AMD's.

And people continue to feed this Green Goblin. They can keep doing what they want because people buy their stuff, even when it's worse than AMD's.
Oh, is it? :)
What's wrong with this guy? This channel is just pure AMD fanboyism. :-D I watched a few videos and they provide hardly any information (even about AMD) - it's mostly just bashing Intel and NVIDIA. Is this the way proper fanboys think? I'm starting to worry I'm not worth of "Intel fanboy" order. :)
And it has 58k followers! Are these all AMD GPU owners or what? :roll:

EDIT:
I've watched his video about global warming (not a very good one, but whatever) and then checked THE COMMENTS!
It seems at least some of the 58k people follow him purely for entertainment. :-D

1514710153870.png

Last edited:
System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
Couldn't they simply elect not to install GeForce Experience? It is an optional install, after all. Just install the GPU driver.