• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bethesda is Feeling Generous, or the Apology: 2018 Fallout 76 Players to Receive Fallout Classic Collection for PC

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Fallout 76 has quickly been deemed one of the gaming failures of 2018, with the world of Fallout falling prey to a multitude of factors. You can count Bethesda's game engine and it's infinite amount of bugs, blatant misinformation in marketing campaigns, and monetization, monetization, monetization.

It would seem that in a bid to win back player's graces, Bethesda will be offering PC, PS4 and Xbox players of Fallout 76 that logged in to play the game during 2018 a copy of their Fallout Classic Collection, which includes Fallout, Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel, and Fallout 2. It's a holiday gift given in a pleading position, so to speak. An announcement that Bethesda would be developing a new game engine would likely be better received by the community as an apology, though.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
'Our future begins'

gives away old games to get player logins and stop the exodus :laugh:

System Name Xbox Series S
Processor AMD Zen2 8 core 3.6 GHz
Memory 10GB GDDR6
Video Card(s) RDNA2 with 20 CUs
Storage 512Gb SSD NVMe Internal + 8TB WD Black USB External
Display(s) Acer VG270U P 2k
thank-you-but-no.jpg

What the hell is going on in gamedev space? I mean, they’re all just making suiside in banzai style - dumb and lightning fast!I just watching all the steps huge gamedev companies attempted for 2018 - it just doesn’t make any sence (at least if they’re not willing to demolish everything they have, entirely). Every single dev (I mean, big ones) just failed so much this year..
For example, I’ve just purchased bfv for 25$ (and that’s top price I’m paying for sjw infested fps) - and guess what - there news crawling aroung...that EA is going to include microtransactions for BF V. How do you think, should I call for refund? :D

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
What the hell is going on in gamedev space? I mean, they’re all just making suiside in banzai style - dumb and lightning fast!I just watching all the steps huge gamedev companies attempted for 2018 - it just doesn’t make any sence (at least if they’re not willing to demolish everything they have, entirely). Every single dev (I mean, big ones) just failed so much this year..
For example, I’ve just purchased bfv for 25$ (and that’s top price I’m paying for sjw infested fps) - abd guess what - there news crawling aroung...that EA is going to include microteansactions for BF V. How do you think, should I call for a refund? :D

It is arrogance and seeing what they will get away with. Its been happening for many years now, and is part of the reason crowdfunding for games got pretty big. A large audience is clearly looking for other things than MP-focused, MTX, DRM and DLC infested junk that puts a claim on your wallet every 'season' instead of just being a product.

If there is one thing I dó see its that gamers ain't stupid. Just a less experienced, more casual and gullible part of it is. If the big publishers want to cater to that, by all means. Its the playerbase I like to avoid as well, so its killing two birds with one stone :toast:

Clearly, the Bethesda fanbase, which contains many avid gamers and enthusiasts who also mod content (those ain't casual console brats) is not taking this crap for granted. You can almost go by game genre to see where the noncasuals go: strategy, (deep) ARPG, roguelikes, the old style no nonsense arcade shooter, adventure/puzzle/narrative based single player, etc.

Last edited:
System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
"We're sorry you preordered a game for $100 for the right to beta access that will remain in beta for another year after the beta was said to be completed. Please accept our apology by accepting this gift of a 1997 game that currently costs $2.49."

Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MPG Carbon Wifi
Cooling Custom loop, 2x360mm radiator,Lian Li UNI, EK XRes140,EK Velocity2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 @ 6400MHz C32
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra OC Scanner core +750 mem
Storage MP600 2TB,960 EVO 1TB,XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB,Micron 1100 2TB,1.5TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Acer X34S, Acer XB270HU
Case LianLi O11 Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Logitech G-Pro X Wireless
Power Supply EVGA P3 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon w/ GX Brown
VR HMD HP Reverb G2 (V2)
Software Win 11
TBF, PC players were already going to get the classic Fallout games for purchasing FO76.

Only thing new here is that console players will be getting it now too.

It is arrogance and seeing what they will get away with. Its been happening for many years now, and is part of the reason crowdfunding for games got pretty big. A large audience is clearly looking for other things than MP-focused, MTX, DRM and DLC infested junk that puts a claim on your wallet every 'season' instead of just being a product.

If there is one thing I dó see its that gamers ain't stupid. Just a less experienced, more casual and gullible part of it is. If the big publishers want to cater to that, by all means. Its the playerbase I like to avoid as well, so its killing two birds with one stone :toast:

Clearly, the Bethesda fanbase, which contains many avid gamers and enthusiasts who also mod content (those ain't casual console brats) is not taking this crap for granted. You can almost go by game genre to see where the noncasuals go: strategy, (deep) ARPG, roguelikes, the old style no nonsense arcade shooter, adventure/puzzle/narrative based single player, etc.

Well, nothing I can add to that, absolutely bang on
It is sadly though - that the whole thing comes up with, seemingly, even the most impeccable devs... for instance, instead of new chapter in Freeman's adventrure, valve gave us artifact. Oh, well, thats just my thoughts out loud...

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
LOL. "We've messed up, so here's a bunch of 20 y.o. games that will soon become so old that they couldn't even get copyright extension".

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
PPLOT TWIST!!! you get knockoff titles that only have a splash screen and clicking anywhere deletes everything on your computer.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
So I’m gonna get the games GoG gave me free already years ago? And I of course have to use your crappy launcher too? Look I’m not actually hating 76 when it’s not crashing or blocking my friend so we can’t play together but this has got to be the smallest bone ever thrown

What about that time you got 500 atom points that can't even buy anything useful. Or the fact the atom store is extremely overpriced.

Bethesda likely gained money by giving away "free" atom points cause people would have to spend money to get something cool that used to be included for free in older games.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Is it ironic that all of those games are better than any Bethsoft-made Fallout?

System Name Nilin
Processor Ryzen 9 5800x
Motherboard Asus Rog Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li Galahad AIO 360
Memory G. Skill TridentZ Neo 32gb 3600Mhz CL16-16-16-36
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX 3080
Storage Samsung Evo 960 250gb (System), Samsung Evo 860 500gb (Misc), Samsung 990 Pro 1Tb (Games)
Display(s) LG 27" UHD IPS, LG Ultragear 27" WQHD Nano IPS
Case InWin 303 (7x Fractal Prisma 120mm)
Power Supply Tt Toughpower Grand RGB 850W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 3
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/fs/21022952 (old system)
LOL probably most of those who got Fallout 76 are fans of the title and already own those old games...
this. very on point lol
haha good thing I didnt get suckered into buying "FU76".
and yes I got all the previous games allright.

FU76 Bethesda

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Oh it all screams sinking ship. The amount of time, manpower and resources they squandered is staggering. To put it into perspective, Fallout 3 had a crew of 70 people on it. Skyrim, 100. Fallout 4, also ~100. 76... 130. And this time around, they were more scattered around the globe than usual. The ones for earlier releases were generally unified. This was a huge undertaking. Hard to believe looking at the result, but it actually was. It may even have been their grandest undertaking to date.

So none of these little stunts surprise me. They are pissing money away, with less to show for it each time. It is flat-out wrong. So wrong. But they really do have no choice. They probably cannot afford to lose more. It's not greed. Just desperation.

I mean, shareholders are probably really gonna want to know where their money went. Now the burden is on the players who used to love and respect the dev to keep them from losing too much to recover. Sad state of affairs really.

Worse yet, this is a time when Bethesda really needs to step up and remind people of what they can really do and just stop pissing everything away. Losing GOTY to Witcher 3 back when FO4 came out was only the beginning. I can think of a couple of future ARPG's that are likely going to crush anything they've done in years. It used to be they were THE go to for the types of games they made. Not so anymore. Wonder what CD Projekt Red is up to these days...

It's a really slippery slope. Sometimes I really think we are witnessing the fall of a giant and it is too late. If they release another lazy, half-baked megatitle with the same dogshit engine... oh god help them. After this and all of their half-hearted apologies nobody is going to stand for that. If this new IP doesn't hold up, if the new Elder Scrolls isn't an absolute breath of new life, things will never ever be the same for them. This shit is serious now. They've had some flops on lesser titles in the past. But this is really egregious. People cherish this franchise as one of the best of all time. All of the laziness and money grabbing, from a fanbase that has been HUNGRY for a new full-fledged Bethesda release for years. All of this time watching the same game come out over and over again. And now, instead of the thing we've all been waiting for, we've gotten this debacle. Things are only going to get more real for them if this continues. All of the faith and goodwill they have amassed over the past decade is now on the line. And in its wake, they are floundering magnificently. It'd be funny if only I didn't actually care. It is painful to see this shit from them. Anybody but them, you know? People used to say they were one of the few good ones left.

At this point, I would be happy to never see another Fallout from them, ever again. It hasn't really been Fallout in several fundamental ways since FO3 anyway. The games themselves haven't been bad. They just aren't good as Fallout games. They completely fail when it comes to those types of choice-based storylines and gameplay mechanics. They still haven't figured out the speech system fer chrissake! Personally I kind of enjoy the dumb exploration/combat/loot cycle their "Fallout" games take you through. They just miss so many awesome opportunities as Fallout games. They don't truly want to make those games, so why butcher an IP in the name of just doing what they want with it? In what universe did they see Fallout fans wanting 76? Like, even if it was good for what it was, it's not what any of us wanted in a Fallout game...

If they can take what they've done with FO4, gut all of the crappy story stuff and focus on the action/exploration/lore based gameplay, and build their new IP around it, I think they'll do okay with the audience that liked Fallout 4. I'd give it a chance. And if it's good I'll play the fuck out of it. Give Fallout to somebody who wants to make a Fallout game. Because christ dude, this shit is going to kill them one day. People are sick of watching them manhandle their beloved franchise. With the direction they've gone, there is absolutely no reason why they *have* to be Fallout games. If anything, all of the half-assed attempts to make the games Fallout-like only hold them back and piss everyone off. I swear they keep it for the sake of the hype that just mentioning a new Fallout game brings. But all of the years of lies and broken promises have made that a lot less viable. Nobody's gonna continue buying these because "Hey, new Fallout!" now.

Last edited:

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
I'm still enjoying playing it. Oh my gosh, how can this be?
As far as I remember, you got it as a present. Presents tend to grow on you, even if they are not exactly top notch, like handmade sweaters, or mediocre TV-show box sets :roll:
I'm sure the game is playable and some issues will get patched up over time to make it better, but for now it ain't worth picking up cause it's too expensive and ships pre-loaded with tons of in-game monetization garbage. I won't be surprised if they bump everything they've learned from ESO to the next level, and already have at least 3-4 DLC packs ready to be pumped at $20-30/ea whenever the player base gets too low.

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
I think the people are being a little over fatalistic. Square Enix pooped Final Fantasy XIV's launch , acknowledged their mistake and redid the game, now is a very good mmorpg. No Man's Sky has improved a lot since its launch too.

Let's see how things turn, but I doubt things will stay like this.

System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz ZXR
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro
If they want to be generous they can refund 50% of money to people who bought game and maybe then things will get better i hope..

As far as I remember, you got it as a present. Presents tend to grow on you, even if they are not exactly top notch, like handmade sweaters, or mediocre TV-show box sets :roll:
I'm sure the game is playable and some issues will get patched up over time to make it better, but for now it ain't worth picking up cause it's too expensive and ships pre-loaded with tons of in-game monetization garbage. I won't be surprised if they bump everything they've learned from ESO to the next level, and already have at least 3-4 DLC packs ready to be pumped at $20-30/ea whenever the player base gets too low.
Sorry but the game is nowhere near as bad as everyone is moaning and complaining about. It's like people just jumped on the bandwagon. I may even buy those DLC packs if i have the money. This is like Fallout 4 but with multiplayer (surprisingly not that bad). And I like Fallout 4. I still actually play Fallout 4. Oh and I spent money in the Creation Club there too. Does that make me a terrible person?

Wow. Whiny people being whiny. It's not enough the dev has acknowledged they needed to do better. Now they've offered a token of good will with a number of well done and liked games for those who feel slighted. While I agree that refunds need to be offered, this is at least a sincere effort to offer recompense.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
Sorry but the game is nowhere near as bad as everyone is moaning and complaining about. It's like people just jumped on the bandwagon. I may even buy those DLC packs if i have the money. This is like Fallout 4 but with multiplayer (surprisingly not that bad). And I like Fallout 4. I still actually play Fallout 4. Oh and I spent money in the Creation Club there too. Does that make me a terrible person?
I didn't like Fallout 4 either, so I can't really share the sentiment. I thought it was a boring generic rehash with complete lack of new ideas, and only managed to clock 6 hours in nearly 2 years.
Bethesda simply killed a die-hard fan in me over the past few years. I've played and liked pretty much every single one of their games, and even spent a ridiculous amount of money on Elder Scrolls Travels: Shadowkey for my NGage-QD back in a day (I think it was originally around $49.99 for a box set on Nokia's portal).
Bethsoft were never about the polish and quality of their product, but lately even the quality of content became so bad, that you start to think if they have any of the creative spirit left in them.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Wow. Whiny people being whiny. It's not enough the dev has acknowledged they needed to do better. Now they've offered a token of good will with a number of well done and liked games for those who feel slighted. While I agree that refunds need to be offered, this is at least a sincere effort to offer recompense.
Sorry Lex what they are offering can be bought on GoG for less than $5 for all of it. I own 76 and enjoying it for what it is but this is a sad attempt at “compensation” Seeing as it will use their launcher I can almost bet it would actually run better on GoG too seeing as they know how to run old games without issues and Bethesda can’t even get this one running smoothly from my own experience ;)