• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Claims Higher FPS/$ Radeon GPU Value Over NVIDIA Offerings

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
I'm not saying that it's total BS. The 6600 series really represent great value over the 3050 and 3060.

All I have to say is that the numbers in this chart are flawed, and without system and settings data, they don't mean anything.

AMD tarnishes their reputation by trying too hard in the marketing department, imo.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
What did AMD did to you guys? And this coming from someone that usually trashes AMD gpu's.

Aren't those MSRP? What's the point of looking to prices in random sites? They don't control retail prices (sure there is more to that, but in honesty AMD or NVIDIA aren't the main guilty parties for the difference to real prices)

I think some of it is dog piling.... It seems to be the popular thing to be a front runner, become an Nvidia fan and trash AMD, not exactly a "brave" choice to choose the side that has 80% market share and a graphics R&D budget 5x larger than its competitor, though I'd arguing choosing any side is ridiculous. But people should be cheering on AMD, but not for the typical fanboy reasons of bickering about performance metrics, but in the interest of maintaining a competitive industry. I've said it before and I'll say it again, when you compare the Financials between Nvidia and AMD, it's truly amazing how competitive AMD is capable of being....Nvidia is spending way, way more on R&D than AMD and has what, a few percentage points advantage in FPS? An advantage that the average human cannot even discern... I want to ask all the Nvidia cheerleaders if they honestly want a world in which Nvidia dominates the market and has a monopoly? Everyone should remember the pre-ryzen dark ages, right? Would that be good for the graphics market? Any reasonable person would answer "no". I would genuinely argue that everyone who cares about competition in the long term, and having the best environment for consumers possible should be cheering for AMD to reach 50% market share, it is undeniably in every enthusiasts best interest. As for Intel in the graphics market....not so much, yes another competitor would be good, but dont mistake Intel's entry for true competition.... It's just a conglomerate spreading their tentacles to another sector and relying on financial power rather than innovation to dominate, something that might not be so good in the long run. What would be truly advantageous would be a wholly new company entering the game, not some large entrenched company just expanding (BTW, the way Intel has been buying up companies in the last couple of years is troubling, and I wish regulators would do something about it, though I'm honestly not surprised they don't)

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i3 8350K @4.6Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Z370-P
Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev.C
Memory 12GB DDR4 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 2GB DDR5 128bits
Storage 2TB + 2TB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 794MB
Software Tubuntu 22.04 LTS x64 + Windows 8.1 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 Single Thread: 215 points
The 6500xt was made to exploit the current market conditions, is it bad? Yes, just as bad as nvidia waiting more than a year to bother releasing the 3050 for example. Neither company is our friend.
yeah nvidia are scumbags too, them gradually up prices on newer series and cut seriously capabilities between xx30 series especially notorius between GT 730 (GK208 kepler based) and GT 1030 (GP108 pascal heavy cutted based for example on encode capabilities)

personally i dont give money until prices lower more and stay waiting for intel arc but now this seem need time

:)

Last edited:
System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
One thing I don't like about radeon drivers is they are extremely bloated and invasive.

I like my 6900xt. It's a good card. I couldn't possibly list all the cards I've owned the past few years but I don't really have a preference. I've really never had a problem with either. But the 6900xt was much cheaper than the 3080ti at the time.

Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Oh! So price/performance is something in their vocabulary again! Prices for the most part are still over MSRP.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Oh! So price/performance is something in their vocabulary again! Prices for the most part are still over MSRP.
Yes, but, they (AMD) have been selling cards on their (US) website at MSRP, but etailers/retailers way over MSRP, makes me wonder whats going on?? AIB partners marking it up, or others down the line or??

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
That's always been the case, AdoredTV did a multi part series on this a few years ago that analyzed the sales figures compared to performance and reviews, and showed that even when AMD had a better product in basically every category, Nvidia still sold more by far. AdoredTV chalks it up to "mentia", or minds hare, and I'd agree.... When someone new to PC DIY or gaming encounters enough rabid fans over and over and over again in every comments section they go to, they're going to start believing there's something to it... I think part of it is a sort of "peer pressure", that people go with Nvidia because they don't want to be the odd person out so to speak....

*Say what you want about AdoredTV, but the videos I'm referencing were meticulous in research and citing sources to reputable reviewers and sales figures... The empirical data is there to support his conclusion

AdorkedTV is just fanboy without objective opinion. People still bought Polaris even Pascal was better across the board. AMD was saved because people bought Bulldozer.

I think some of it is dog piling.... It seems to be the popular thing to be a front runner, become an Nvidia fan and trash AMD, not exactly a "brave" choice to choose the side that has 80% market share and a graphics R&D budget 5x larger than its competitor, though I'd arguing choosing any side is ridiculous. But people should be cheering on AMD, but not for the typical fanboy reasons of bickering about performance metrics, but in the interest of maintaining a competitive industry. I've said it before and I'll say it again, when you compare the Financials between Nvidia and AMD, it's truly amazing how competitive AMD is capable of being....Nvidia is spending way, way more on R&D than AMD and has what, a few percentage points advantage in FPS? An advantage that the average human cannot even discern... I want to ask all the Nvidia cheerleaders if they honestly want a world in which Nvidia dominates the market and has a monopoly? Everyone should remember the pre-ryzen dark ages, right? Would that be good for the graphics market? Any reasonable person would answer "no". I would genuinely argue that everyone who cares about competition in the long term, and having the best environment for consumers possible should be cheering for AMD to reach 50% market share, it is undeniably in every enthusiasts best interest. As for Intel in the graphics market....not so much, yes another competitor would be good, but dont mistake Intel's entry for true competition.... It's just a conglomerate spreading their tentacles to another sector and relying on financial power rather than innovation to dominate, something that might not be so good in the long run. What would be truly advantageous would be a wholly new company entering the game, not some large entrenched company just expanding (BTW, the way Intel has been buying up companies in the last couple of years is troubling, and I wish regulators would do something about it, though I'm honestly not surprised they don't)

That's just a talks. It's a fact that AMD fanboys first who forgets about competition and buy only AMD. Every upcoming GPU is Nvidia killer, every AMD feature is Nvidia killer, every gadget must be powered by AMD, Mindfacrory Ryzen sales 80% who cares about 50-50 for healthy competition, APU will kill Nvidia low-end GPUs. I will never buy Nvidia GPU because GPP or *insert random anti-competition, shady doing by Nvidia. Sounds familiar? That's comments from so called not brand loyalists.

Yes, but, they (AMD) have been selling cards on their (US) website at MSRP, but etailers/retailers way over MSRP, makes me wonder whats going on?? AIB partners marking it up, or others down the line or??

MSRP is just a sugested price from the manufacturer, allegedly nvidia sets their prices very agressively to the point where AIB have no chance at hitting that reference price after making the heatsink, pcb, etc.

I feel everyone got hang up on this supposed MSRP term this generation because price gouging and scalping was so prevalent, plus shortages, inflation and higher demand it all went to hell, but MSRP are just a launch reference, prices are supposed to drop as time passses (because the product also is getting cheaper to make, and they need to move the inventory before next gen) which obviously didn't really happen this time (not so far anyway)

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
F#@£ I thought I was in the toxicity thread then , had to check.

I don't yet care which is best price per dollar, they're both still taking the piss with pricing, one more than the other, this is the reason Intel's Arc delays annoy me, since only market competition can slap these companies back to reality, IMHO.

ARF

AMD does have slightly better FPS/$ but Nvidia has competent software devs, things like DLSS, RT, good shadowplay etc. etc.

DLSS is a thing that you don't need - it is basically a new setting for lowering your image quality and giving you back some more FPS;
RT, well, it is too early for it, it is extremely expensive and there is absolutely nothing done by RT which can't be done by the classic and cheap for hardware lighting methods.

Shadowplay? I have never heard about it, must be something new in the nvidia making... lol

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
DLSS is a thing that you don't need - it is basically a new setting for lowering your image quality and giving you back some more FPS;
RT, well, it is too early for it, it is extremely expensive and there is absolutely nothing done by RT which can't be done by the classic and cheap for hardware lighting methods.

Shadowplay? I have never heard about it, must be something new in the nvidia making... lol
Shadow replay would have been a more apt name, it's also not for everyone, me included.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502

i really honestly don't care about corporations, my CPU is an AMD, off my previous 4 GPU's, 2 were AMD ones.

I really hated my experience with the 5700xt and i speak from experience. I will stay away from AMD gpu's for a long time, i will hapilly buy another Ryzen CPU. Most people on this AMD defense never owned or not recently supported AMD's gpu's, or just got on now that they are on top. I supported them when they were down and it wasn't fun at all.

This to say i speak from my experiences. This chart seems absolutely normal to me, i don't get the reactions.

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
i really honestly don't care about corporations, my CPU is an AMD, off my previous 4 GPU's, 2 were AMD ones.

I really hated my experience with the 5700xt and i speak from experience. I will stay away from AMD gpu's for a long time, i will hapilly buy another Ryzen CPU. Most people on this AMD defense never owned or not recently supported AMD's gpu's, or just got on now that they are on top. I supported them when they were down and it wasn't fun at all.

This to say i speak from my experiences. This chart seems absolutely normal to me, i don't get the reactions.
Speak for yourself I been using AMD since the HD 5770 upto the RX 6700XT. Hardly any issues other than my R9 290X running heck a hot

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Speak for yourself I been using AMD since the HD 5770 upto the RX 6700XT. Hardly any issues other than my R9 290X running heck a hot

i usually always speak for myself, no clue how i could speak for someone else, maybe ventriloquism, idk

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
i usually always speak for myself, no clue how i could speak for someone else, maybe ventriloquism, idk
You stated "Most people on this AMD defense never owned or not recently supported AMD's gpu's, or just got on now that they are on top. I supported them when they were down and it wasn't fun at all."

In my opinion, I feel a lot of people are misusing the cost per frame data. The problem is low end cards tend to offer better value because they are significantly cheaper than high and even mid tier cards. And because hardware don’t scale perfectly, i.e. you don’t get double the performance just because the card have double the CUs or CUDA cores. The data should be for buyers to decide how much more are they willing to pay for a given card, knowing that they will still be paying a premium for higher end cards. There is 0 reasons to compare cost per frame for flagship/ halo products because they are intentionally priced at a steep premium. And the buyers/ target market generally won’t be deterred by the price tag.
In any case, even if the RX 6500 and 6400 series have “great” cost per frame, I will still avoid buying or recommending the cards. They are just bad value to me. The card may appeal to some.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
In my opinion, I feel a lot of people are misusing the cost per frame data. The problem is low end cards tend to offer better value because they are significantly cheaper than high and even mid tier cards. And because hardware don’t scale perfectly, i.e. you don’t get double the performance just because the card have double the CUs or CUDA cores. The data should be for buyers to decide how much more are they willing to pay for a given card, knowing that they will still be paying a premium for higher end cards. There is 0 reasons to compare cost per frame for flagship/ halo products because they are intentionally priced at a steep premium. And the buyers/ target market generally won’t be deterred by the price tag.
In any case, even if the RX 6500 and 6400 series have “great” cost per frame, I will still avoid buying or recommending the cards. They are just bad value to me. The card may appeal to some.
I personally find cost per frame data pointless as I'm using a 60 Hz monitor, and I can't really tell much difference above 40-45 fps anyway. Anything above these numbers is either wasted money or reserve performance for future games.

Personally, I had no issues using a RX 6800 XT and 6600 XT. Both worked flawlessly to me. My opinion is that the first gen RDNA cards were more like pipe cleaner as these are the first time they made a significant architectural change from Vega. It is unfortunate, and it left a bad taste in the “tester’s” mouth.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
D

Deleted member 202104

You can't really use both sides halo products as references for a "bang for the buck" comparison. You need a more wide dataset.

You'll see in a later comment from me in this thread that for the most part it's like arguing over pennies over the entire lineup between Nvidia and AMD.

This comment was a little bit of a tongue in cheek reply to the 'put up or shut up' from Mr. Freeagent.

But in this specific case, between the 6950XT and 3090Ti, cost per frame is basically half in AMD's favor. Outside of these two, it's pretty much a tossup.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
You stated "Most people on this AMD defense never owned or not recently supported AMD's gpu's, or just got on now that they are on top. I supported them when they were down and it wasn't fun at all."

Just look at their GPU market share before the new cards were released. It's a fact.

Before the new cards release it was 17%

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
AMD can claim whatever they like, it does not make it true.
Looks spot on though, looking at TPU benchmarks and street prices.

Which particular line did you find dubious?

AMD does have slightly better FPS/$
"Slightly" is a funny way to refer to 30-80% lead. (3070Ti is the only exception)

But in this specific case, between the 6950XT and 3090Ti, cost per frame is basically half in AMD's favor. Outside of these two, it's pretty much a tossup.

Let me pick up cards "outside of these two'. 6650XT ($400) vs 3060 ($430)

TPU figures (1080p): 112.8/96.5*430/400

25% higher fps/$. (around the same at 1440p)