• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Delivers Elite Visual Computing Performance with Latest Desktop Platform

System Name Mr. Reliable
Processor Ryzen R9 5950x
Motherboard MSI Meg X570s Ace Max
Cooling D5 Pump, Singularity Top/Res, 2x360mm EK P rads, EK Magnitude/Alphacool Blocks
Memory 32Gb (4x8Gb) Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600Mhz @ 16/19/20/36 1.35v
Video Card(s) MSI 3080ti with Alphacool Block
Storage 2 x Corsair Force MP400 1TB Nvme; 2 x T-Force Cardea Z340; 2 x Mushkin Reactor 1TB
Display(s) Acer 32" Z321QU 2560x1440; LG 34GP83A-B 34" 3440x1440
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL; Synology DS218j w/ 2 x 2TB WD Red
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Pro+
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850G3
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Das Keyboard 6; Razer Orbweaver Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro
Nice. I have been waiting for these. It has been ~year since I grabbed this 940...time for another upgrade. :D

This will likely make Intel drops price of their entire i7 line, except extreme chips.

Benetanegia

The chips that cost "about the same", Core i7 860 and Core i7 930, are slower. The faster ones, Core i7 950/960, Core i7 870, are in the >$500 range.

We've seen different reviews then. They are just slightly slower in the ones I've seen and sometimes in some tests faster.

You are not getting my point though. You are always going to find something that does a little less for less money (Core2 right now for example) and of course that a newly introduced product is always going to be better on the perf/price department if they want to compete. But fact is that the 980X is much faster and if it costs so much is because there is a market for that price.

i.e. I'm a freelancer dedicated mainly to CAD/3Dstudio, so my time is $ for myself. Every minute lost is money that I lost. The %50 performance difference might very well pay off the $700 price difference, because of that. Right now there's not a lot of work in my area because of the crisis, so that's not the case right now. That's why I'm still with a Q6600. I don't get enough work to fill a normal 8 hour working day every day, so my time's $ cost is far lower now and a little bit more time spent actually works on my favor. But if I could get more jobs, or if competition was harder (I suspect every freelancer in my area is doing the same) a faster CPU could definately help and a lot. $700? That's nothing compared to what I could have lost when the jobs were so many that I couldn't accept them all...

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
For the know, Intel will be releasing Core i7 970X sometime soon. It's based on Gulftown, and runs at 3.20 GHz. But knowing its specifications, Intel would probably price it above $500 again.

We've seen different reviews then. They are just slightly slower in the ones I've seen and sometimes in some tests faster.

You are not getting my point though. You are always going to find something that does a little less for less money (Core2 right now for example) and of course that a newly introduced product is always going to be better on the perf/price department if they want to compete. But fact is that the 980X is much faster and if it costs so much is because there is a market for that price.

i.e. I'm a freelancer dedicated mainly to CAD/3Dstudio, so my time is $ for myself. Every minute lost is money that I lost. The %50 performance difference might very well pay off the $700 price difference, because of that. Right now there's not a lot of work in my area because of the crisis, so that's not the case right now. That's why I'm still with a Q6600. I don't get enough work to fill a normal 8 hour working day every day, so my time's $ cost is far lower now and a little bit more time spent actually works on my favor. But if I could get more jobs, or if competition was harder (I suspect every freelancer in my area is doing the same) a faster CPU could definately help and a lot. $700? That's nothing compared to what I could have lost when the jobs were so many that I couldn't accept them all...

I've made a consensus based on the reviews I've read.

Phenom II X4 chips were on par with Nehalem as far as gaming performance went. Nehalam was able to beat Phenom II with multi-tasking thanks to HTT, and core efficiency in general, coupled with 50% higher memory bandwidth. Yet, with Thuban, AMD made up for lack of SMT with two additional cores. Although memory bandwidth is lower, at its price point its faster than chips from Intel.

And at higher default clock. Still, at $210, it's mad not to get one if you own an AMD board already.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
People don't care about "higher clock". People care about what performance they get for what they pay. Yes Phenom II achieves that performance at higher clocks, but it does come with decent overclocking headroom.

"At higher clock", "clock-for-clock", is just academic bs that helps fanboys win flamewars.

Nah, that's mean when both at peak OC, the one with higher performance per clock will win.

Benetanegia

I've made a consensus based on the reviews I've read.

Phenom II X4 chips were on par with Nehalem as far as gaming performance went. Nehalam was able to beat Phenom II with multi-tasking thanks to HTT, and core efficiency in general, coupled with 50% higher memory bandwidth. Yet, with Thuban, AMD made up for lack of SMT with two additional cores. Although memory bandwidth is lower, at its price point its faster than chips from Intel.

And they should have made a comparison against those. Instead they compared it to the most expensive Intel one and the intention is clear. Hint: it's not trying to say they are faster on their price point.

Read my first post again. I never said this CPU is not better than Intel ones for the $, but it's certainly not the picture they are trying to paint. Like I said I would pick this six cores over a 4 core anyday (mainly for 3dsmax), but their comparison is just misleading and that was their intention. PR BS.

EDIT: This is not a different AMD than the one that was selling FX line of chips for $1500 or A64 X2 for $800. They are the same, just in a different situation. If they could they would charge more, they are not doing us any favor, they are just trying to sell. And although I wholehartedly want to go AMD again (all AMD until I got the quad, I'm typing from a A64 X2 4800+ in fact, my second PC), I'm never going to defend such misleading PR BS.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
And they should have made a comparison against those. Instead they compared it to the most expensive Intel one and the intention is clear. Hint: it's not trying to say they are faster on their price point.

Read my first post again. I never said this CPU is not better than Intel ones for the $, but it's certainly not the picture they are trying to paint. Like I said I would pick this six cores over a 4 core anyday (mainly for 3dsmax), but their comparison is just misleading and that was their intention. PR BS.

It's not PR BS. Their point wasn't factoring performance at all. Their point was that AMD's six-core based rig can be had for the same price as just a six-core chip from Intel. Which indeed is the case.

Yes 980X may be 50% faster, but it's 270% costlier.

Benetanegia

It's not PR BS. Their point wasn't factoring performance at all.

Yes 980X may be 50% faster, but it's 270% costlier.

It's faster, period. It's highest-end of the high-end. Since when high end is equal in price/perf? Never. FSS I paid 700 euros for this A64 X2 4800+ I'm typing from.

So what's the point? Having a 6 core even if doesn't make any significant difference? What do we want when we buy things? Performance or number of cores? Have we replaced the "I have more Mhz" by the "I have more cores"? Is that it?

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Nah, that's mean when both at peak OC, the one with higher performance per clock will win.

I think the 1090T maxed will be able to beat every Intel chip in its price-range that is maxed out.

It's faster, period. It's highest-end of the high-end. Since when high end is equal in price/perf? Never. FSS I paid 700 euros for this A64 X2 4800+ I'm typing from.

So what's the point? Having a 6 core even if doesn't make any significant difference? What do we want when we buy things? Performance or number of cores?

It's not, but AMD is telling people in the market for a six-core chip that they can have an entire PC based on their chip for the price of a six-core chip from Intel. Performance is not talked about. So it's not bad marketing. Not everyone in the market for a six-core chip is an enthusiast, and the +50% performance for +270% price equation does affect purchases.

Benetanegia

Not everyone in the market for a six-core chip is an enthusiast.

So it's about that then. Having a six-core. Enlarging your e-peen with more cores. Certainly not with more performance.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
So it's about that then. Having a six-core. Enlarging your e-peen with more cores. Certainly not with more performance.

No, it's about people like you who run CAD, scientific applications, Creativity Suite, etc., who buy PCs once every 3~4 years. They would want six-core right about now, if they're in the market for a PC.

naoan

System Name AMD?
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software 7 X64
For home encoding you can't beat this silicon, no way would I pay a grand++ more for 10s speed increase.

You're either a prick or a fanboy (or stockholder) to find fault of this product, not at this price point.

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
The price point for this product is definitely amazing. $300 for a six core? Yeah that is pretty good, while Intel is charging MUCH more for theirs. This processor is good for 2 reasons. One, great price per perf ratio. Two, this will bring down the prices of the Intel six core processors. The only fault I see is that it is NOT faster than the Intel, but that is not a huge deal, seeing as the price is so good.

Benetanegia

No, it's about people like you who run CAD, scientific applications, Creativity Suite, etc., who buy PCs once every 3~4 years. They would want six-core right about now, if they're in the market for a PC.

Yes, but because of the performance, not because of having six cores. And like I said a quad Core i7 or maybe even an i5 is just as fast or almost. Not the ones that cast less? Wait 1 month, Intel price cuts and they will be better, then AMD price cut and so on, which is what is being happening lately. Comparing it to the most expensive CPU is misleading and pure PR BS. LIke I said the same people that you say that would apreciate a 6 core for that price are the same that know very well that the $1000 CPU might greatly pay-off too. They should have compared this 6 core CPU to the ones that they compete with. Especially since they would still win, but what they did is PR BS.

naoan

System Name AMD?
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software 7 X64
I don't understand you... no company in this world would advertise the bad point of their product, PR is all about selective information control. :confused:

Benetanegia

I don't understand you... no company in this world would advertise the bad point of their product, PR is all about selective information control. :confused:

So it's PR BS. Everything coming from Nvidia, Intel, AMD... is PR BS lately. I don't know why this fact is even being discussed. I never said AMD is the only one who makes it, I just thought this one to be remarkable and worth mentioning, that is all.

And you are right about PR being like that, but not always was like that and I'm talking about just 10 years ago. It doesn't have to be like that. IMO just because it's raining shit all the time everywhere, there's no reason to eventually open your mouth and eat it.

EDIT: There's no bad side to this product BTW. Never said so. I have to make it clear, I have nothing aginst the product, it's just the way that AMD chose to present it.

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Yeah with MIR. MIRs aren't guaranteed to be approved.

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
If i knew i could easily sell my ASUS p5q pro Q6600 and 4Gb of ram i would buy one of those and a new mb and ram as long as i don't loss to much $$

naoan

System Name AMD?
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software 7 X64
So it's PR BS. Everything coming from Nvidia, Intel, AMD... is PR BS lately. I don't know why this fact is even being discussed. I never said AMD is the only one who makes it, I just thought this one to be remarkable and worth mentioning, that is all.

And you are right about PR being like that, but not always was like that and I'm talking about just 10 years ago. It doesn't have to be like that. IMO just because it's raining shit all the time everywhere, there's no reason to eventually open your mouth and eat it.

EDIT: There's no bad side to this product BTW. Never said so. I have to make it clear, I have nothing aginst the product, it's just the way that AMD chose to present it.

I've saw product covered with way more shit than this one (killer nic anyone? :laugh:) and imo this one is tamer than most, hell i think this is one of better PR out there. They made a valid fact without covering it with lies and even conveniently build you a solid rig as a bonus :laugh:.

But yeah, most PR is BS. Just live with it or find a perfect world out there. :rolleyes:

pjladyfox

System Name Eternal
Processor AMD Phenom II 955
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
Cooling Corsair H50 water cooling system
Memory 8GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 5870
Storage Seagate 7200.10 250GB SATA2, 7200.11 750GB SATA2, and 7200.10 500GB SATA2
Display(s) SAMSUNG 245BW 24" LCD
Case Antec Three Hundred - custom mnpctech.com
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC889 onboard sound
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software Windows 7 Home 64-bit Retail
pity none of the board makers have released the BIOS updates for their AM2+ boards....
grrrr.

I've got a 785G here and i asked gigabyte, and they told me they dont know and cant know, because the CPU's arent out retail yet. good one giga, your AM3 boards have support dont they...

Well, you just saved me having the same conversation with them. :(

I switched over to Gigabyte boards after long-term performance and reliability issues with Asus boards a few years back. This is probably the first time I've seen them totally and completely drop the ball regarding making updated BIOS firmware available for a new chip launch. What I don't get is their CPU support page shows 785 and 790X boards that DO support the new X6's but they're all AM3 socket only. :banghead:

Personally, if I did not know any better I'd swear they are using this as a quick money grab to try and force early adopters into buying new motherboards. :mad:

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Some ASUS AM2+ boards do have updates to X6.