• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Piledriver is called "FX NEXT"

Buying Bulldozer when released?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
Not close to being enough. Everyone waiting for this do yourself a favor and buy a 2500/2600K. It's a vastly superior chip. I bought a Bulldozer and I knew it stunk before I bought it. It's now going to sit in it's tin can until issues are worked out.

I don't have money like you do sadly, you can buy both a SB setup and a BD setup if you want, i bought a 990FX board hence im willing to wait for a decent FX chip that at least performs better then their current Phenom II's, that is all i'd like, it doesn't need to win the performance battle against Intel. For someone who hasn't bought a 900 series/AM3+ board, then i agree, Sandy Bridge is more worth your money and time.

IF TPU had a review, there'd be no question. Fact of the matter is that most TPU'ers depend on TPU to set the facts straight, and currently, as a site, we cannot.

Don't blame the users..blame AMD. Hard to trust a site that said three days ago, Bulldozer was the next best thing, and then they turn it around, and say it isn't. Well, what about what they said a few days before?

:laugh:

Perfect example, two posts above..you are more reliable to 3volvedcombat than any of those reviews, even though you are not a reviewer. Plain and simple, many sites have lost TONNES of credibility because of this launch.

That's how it has been done for years, most people here ''new design'' and wet their pants over it, but that doesn't mean their reviews are less honest or less credible then TPU or any other site when they actually get the chips in hand. TPU does the same thing, front page full of Bulldozer speculation and expectations about how they''ll be 50% faster then the 980x, news posts advertising the slides AMD showed off etc. and people in the community hyping it up because of such things. But of course it was not their fault that their exceptions didn't come true or that the news on the front page didn't come true. Why should anyone expect to here something different from TPU?

I love TPU, but i don't pretend it's any more reliable then HardOCP, XbitLabs, XtremeSystems etc.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Why should anyone expect to here something different from TPU?

I love TPU, but i don't pretend it's any more reliable then HardOCP, XbitLabs, XtremeSystems etc.

I agree with you here 100%. But just read the posts here, man. Some people prefer to get TPU's own view, and while TPU may have posted news with the same info that turned out to be wrong, never once was TPU the SOURCE of that info, which is ultimately a critical detail.

It's simply becuase in the face of all the early "info", today the picture BD paints is quite shocking, and has created the situation where everyone is questioning things.

Just because you personally are not as loyal to TPU as some others, clearly some are, myself included. The only sites, to me, that are less relaible, are the ones that sourced the info that said BD was better...and at other sites, I always check the author of the article, as some reviewer's opinions I value more than others. It doesn't mean some are less "reliable", but yeah, their opinion is less important, for sure.

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
TPU is basically my priority review site because their tests are generally as close to flawless as you will find. It's the attention to details really.

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
Cooling Corsair H70
I agree with you here 100%. But just read the posts here, man. Some people prefer to get TPU's own view, and while TPU may have posted news with the same info that turned out to be wrong, never once was TPU the SOURCE of that info, which is ultimately a critical detail.

It's simply becuase in the face of all the early "info", today the picture BD paints is quite shocking, and has created the situation where everyone is questioning things.

Just because you personally are not as loyal to TPU as some others, clearly some are, myself included. The only sites, to me, that are less relaible, are the ones that sourced the info that said BD was better...and at other sites, I always check the author of the article, as some reviewer's opinions I value more than others. It doesn't mean some are less "reliable", but yeah, their opinion is less important, for sure.

Yes i agree that TPU generally isn't the source of the speculation, but many sites aren't either. It has no ties to the credibility of the site though, ive sourced information from HardOCP, XS, Mad Shrimps etc. and all the information that was sourced were factual. Most of the sites that are consistently inaccurate that get sourced are generally sites that hold barely any weight in the first place

I understand that some people wait for their own sites review because it's like their online home, i'm only loyal to TPU in the aspects that i come here a lot and i like the community and news, so yes, i agree that there are a lot more people loyal to this site then myself. I have been a member of HardOCP for over 5 years and have accounts on many other hardware sites too, but again, i am only loyal in certain aspects, as i am more about the bottom line and not about who has the funniest community troll. I don't hold one site above the other, because ive seen that they both have contributed similar things so i have no reason not to trust one or the other.

TPU is basically my priority review site because their tests are generally as close to flawless as you will find. It's the attention to details really.

I look at every sites reviews including TPUs and if the general consensus is similar then that's that, if one site hasn't given their review yet but the general consensus is the same, then that review isn't of much importance to me, i'll still read it, but i don't expect much.

Ive seen other sites that use better methodologies then TPU in certain reviews. It just depends.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I understand that some people wait for their own sites review because it's like their online home, i'm only loyal to TPU in the aspects that i come here a lot and i like the community and news, so yes, i agree that there are a lot more people loyal to this site then myself. I have been a member of HardOCP for over 5 years and have accounts on many other hardware sites too, but again, i am only loyal in certain aspects, as i am more about the bottom line and not about who has the funniest community troll. I don't hold one site above the other, because ive seen that they both have contributed similar things so i have no reason not to trust one or the other.

For the bigger sites, sure, I agree again, 100%. I visit [H], XS, and many others daily as well, but it's not becuase they are a site, but because of who works there, and generates the content.

Also, TPU doesn't have a "community troll" unless you are refering to me.:laugh: If you are talking about Mailman, he's not gonna be posting for quite some time.:laugh:

Hopefully AMD will do things right for the PileDriver launch, and TPU will have a review when every other sites does. In all honesty, logistics problems prevented TPU from having a BD review at launch.

Those differences in methodologies is what separates the sites form one another, and I chose to take it all in, and then make decisions. I might appreciate someone's writing style a bit more, etc...but you are very right, when the general concensus agrees, then there's little left to wonder, but that's not going to make people want to see a TPU less, more often than not, if only in hopes that AMD's marketing team pulls it's socks up.

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
Cooling Corsair H70
For the bigger sites, sure, I agree again, 100%. I visit [H], XS, and many others daily as well, but it's not becuase they are a site, but because of who works there, and generates the content.

Also, TPU doesn't have a "community troll" unless you are refering to me.:laugh: If you are talking about Mailman, he's not gonna be posting for quite some time.:laugh:

Hopefully AMD will do things right for the PileDriver launch, and TPU will have a review when every other sites does. In all honesty, logistics problems prevented TPU from having a BD review at launch.

Those differences in methodologies is what separates the sites form one another, and I chose to take it all in, and then make decisions. I might appreciate someone's writing style a bit more, etc...but you are very right, when the general concensus agrees, then there's little left to wonder, but that's not going to make people want to see a TPU less, more often than not, if only in hopes that AMD's marketing team pulls it's socks up.

I agree with all of that.

And yes, by ''community troll'' it would mainly mean Mailman for this site pretty much lol.

I trust Steve and Al who delivers the [H] news daily as much as btarunr or qubit. Though i'm not a fan of Kyle Bennett though for many reasons, granted his reviews tend to be solid.

Will I buy an FX processor at release? No.
Will I buy an FX processor? Maybe.
Will I buy a Piledriver cpu? Maybe.
Will I buy a Piledriver cpu at release? Maybe.
Will I buy either an Bulldozer or Piledriver cpu? Yes.
When will I buy an FX or 'FX-next' processor? Yet to be determined.

Sums it up for me as well.

I will definitely end up getting both (although I voted waiting for piledriver) I will probably wait for piledriver and then get a first gen used for cheap :)

I am currently waiting till after Christmas to pick up some more thubans :) Although I just ordered parts for a LLano build for a friend.

Last edited:
System Name JIM LAHEY
Processor CORE I9 9900K
Motherboard ASROCK Z390 TAICHI
Cooling COUGAR HELOR 360 AIO
Memory 32GB TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 ULTRA
Storage SAMSUNG EVO 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG STRIX 4K UG27UQR
Case THERMALTAKE VIEW 37
Audio Device(s) STEELSERIES ARCTIS 7 WIRELESS
Power Supply EVGA SUPERNOVA G+ 1000
Mouse STEELSERIES RIVAL 600
Keyboard STEELSERIES APEX 7 TKL
Software WINDOWS 10 ENTERPRISE
Benchmark Scores WUT
Will I buy bulldozer? No
Will I buy piledriver? Maybe

System Name gaming system
Processor 2600k @ 4.2 ghz
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPower
Cooling Thermalright ultra extreme 120 rev.C w/noctua NF-S12B push/pull
Memory 16gb corsair vengeance 2400 c11 @1.5 v/
Video Card(s) GB gtx670 WF3x sli @1080/1372/6660(core/boost/mem)
Storage 2x samsung 850evo 250gb raid 0 ,2tb wdblack, 3TB wd purple
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster P2770FH, asus VH242t/19" lg 1440x900
Case fractal design r4
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX1050
Mouse Razer abyssus
Keyboard corsair k70
Software Windows 10 pro x64
Will i buy bulldozer or piledriver: no won't
Will i buy ivy bridge: maybe, i have sandy bridge, 2600k ;p

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Remember Where AMD innovates, Intel followed.
Remember it was AMD that released the Monster inside Intel. What AMD needs is IBM.

My middle name is AMD :D
Perhaps you are having issues with the OS, though it sounds more like a memory problem. Nobody is posting Blue Screen of Deaths with Bulldozer. I really hope you get it resolved. Your opinion is like GOLD IMO.

"Advanced Micro Devices was founded on May 1, 1969, by a group of former executives from Fairchild Semiconductor, including Jerry Sanders III, Ed Turney, John Carey, Sven Simonsen, Jack Gifford and three members from Gifford's team, Frank Botte, Jim Giles, and Larry Stenger. The company began as a producer of logic chips, then entered the RAM chip business in 1975. That same year, it introduced a reverse-engineered clone of the Intel 8080 microprocessor. During this period, AMD also designed and produced a series of bit-slice processor elements (Am2900, Am29116, Am293xx) which were used in various minicomputer designs."

Wiki

In 1991, AMD released the Am386, its clone of the Intel 386 processor. It took less than a year for the company to sell a million units. Later, the Am486 was used by a number of large original equipment manufacturers, including Compaq, and proved popular. Another Am486-based product, the Am5x86, continued AMD's success as a low-price alternative. However, as product cycles shortened in the PC industry, the process of reverse engineering Intel's products became an ever less viable strategy for AMD.

I owned and overclocked many early AMD/Intel rigs.

Intel has fallen down twice in big ways, first with RAMBUS, second with their stupid ideas about Netburst.

AMD has maintained a small performance gap from Intel throughout the years, their pricing in later years has been on the edge of where it needs to be for the performance per dollar.

This chip does NOT, does NOT, provide the same sort of performance per dollar that the X6 1100T does, its only $189 with free shipping. It does NOT provide the performance per dollar a 2500 or 2600 does.

The only people who should buy this from a logical standpoint are those who have a board that will accept it. Enthusiast overclockers should buy this as the next challenge. Fanbois will buy it, and thats OK, no one will stop them.

But, dollar for dollar, cent for cent, pound for pound, transistor for transistor. This chip is a fail.

Buy a dual socket C32 board, $289, two 4130 Opterons, $216,

8 cores with more bandwidth and you can get 50-150% more performance. But not due to the memory bandwidth alone.;)

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
I agree AMD needs to lower the price of the AMD FX CPU's but you know how it is, retailers set the price. And because it's new they will keep it somewhat higher. I think $245 is a great price for the AMD FX 8150, especially with all that hidden horse power. Anyhow, I already have a ASUS Crosshair V Formula Socket AM3+ so I apply to your above statement :) If I had known Bulldozer would not Bulldoze as we all expected, then I would never have bought the ASUS board. I would have stuck it out longer for Piledriver, hoping they revise it for better overall performance.

I agree AMD needs to lower the price of the AMD FX CPU's but you know how it is, retailers set the price. And because it's new they will keep it somewhat higher. I think $245 is a great price for the AMD FX 8150, especially with all that hidden horse power. Anyhow, I already have a ASUS Crosshair V Formula Socket AM3+ so I apply to your above statement :) If I had known Bulldozer would not Bulldoze as we all expected, then I would never have bought the ASUS board. I would have stuck it out longer for Piledriver, hoping they revise it for better overall performance.

Why?

You continue to say there is hidden power locked away in BD. Every time someone says that its performance is underwhelming you respond with "there is hidden potential not being tapped in BD."

AMD could well have harnessed the power of Thor, Zeus, and any other lightning controlling god in BD. What is seen during common use is something akin to a microwave oven, not a lightning bolt.

Awkward metaphores aside, there is no indication that BD has hidden power. There is plenty of indication that the multithreaded applications of today will run better on BD, but the numbers indicate that single threaded applications do not perform well at all. If there is some hidden power AMD better pull it out of its butt before SB-e comes out. The only great thing for AMD is the server market, which is a sizeable market but very not like the consumer market. Whenever BDs restructured "8 cores" can come to the table in a useful way wake me up.

System Name SolarwindMobile
Processor AMD FX-9800P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G
Motherboard Acer Wasp_BR
Cooling It's Copper.
Memory 2 x 8GB SK Hynix/HMA41GS6AFR8N-TF
Video Card(s) ATI/AMD Radeon R7 Series (Bristol Ridge FP4) [ACER]
Storage TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 1TB + KINGSTON RBU-SNS8152S3128GG2 128 GB
Display(s) ViewSonic XG2401 SERIES
Case Acer Aspire E5-553G
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC255
Power Supply PANASONIC AS16A5K
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Keyboard Ducky Channel Shine 3
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit (Version 1607, Build 14393.969)
unused power is more like it...but in this case SSE5 and AVX are not going to be the first things to be used in vidya gaems

IPC decreased so game performance decreases!

System Name Gamers PC
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.80 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3
Cooling Corsair H50 Cooler
Memory Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
Storage 2 x WD Caviar Green 1TB SATA300 w/64MB Buffer (RAID 0)
Display(s) Samsung 2494SW 1080p 24" WS LCD HD
Case CM HAF 932 Full Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-FI TITANIUM -PCIE x 1
Power Supply Corsair TX Series CMPSU-650TX (650W)
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Why?

You continue to say there is hidden power locked away in BD. Every time someone says that its performance is underwhelming you respond with "there is hidden potential not being tapped in BD."

AMD could well have harnessed the power of Thor, Zeus, and any other lightning controlling god in BD. What is seen during common use is something akin to a microwave oven, not a lightning bolt.

Awkward metaphores aside, there is no indication that BD has hidden power. There is plenty of indication that the multithreaded applications of today will run better on BD, but the numbers indicate that single threaded applications do not perform well at all. If there is some hidden power AMD better pull it out of its butt before SB-e comes out. The only great thing for AMD is the server market, which is a sizeable market but very not like the consumer market. Whenever BDs restructured "8 cores" can come to the table in a useful way wake me up.
You don't think this bulldozer has hidden secret powers? I would have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. :D

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
Cooling Corsair H70
Those that say there is ''untapped hidden power'' behind these chips are generally people in denial because they so desperately can't stand that it's a terrible chip. When compared to other chips in the market for around the same price, it's not a good buy for most, get over it.

It craps out badly in single threaded applications and doesn't actually perform even decently until work loads that use it's 8 threads are actually used and yet the cores are still not strong enough overall to make a dent. While at the same time delivers higher power consumption.

I'm still going Bulldozer at some point though.:)

Last edited:
System Name Grond
Processor Ryen 5 3600x PBO ~ 4.4GHz / fabric at 1900
Motherboard MSI b550 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm CPU w/ am4 mounting bracket+ 2 RX360 radiator + xspc Razor R9-290 w/ backplate
Memory 32gb Crucial Ballistix @ 3800
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 w/ XSPC Razor full cover block and backplate
Storage WD SN850 1tb-OS, SN750 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb, WD blue hdd 4tb
Display(s) Samsung 23" 120hz 3d LCD w/ 3d glasses, using 'lightboost' trick
Case NZXT H630 white watercooling case
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek ALC 1200+ Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply XFX Pro 850 XXX semi-modular
Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
Keyboard Steelseries 6 v2
Software Windows 10 Pro (Had some mystery error on Win7 and decided to go W10)
It shows some strength in heavily multi-threadded apps. There's next to none on the consumer desktop front though.
Maybe next time Skynet will send their future CPU back to the correct year.

System Name Legendary
Processor i5 2500k
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling NH-D14
Memory 8gb G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 580 Lightning
Storage 1x M4 128GB, 3x HD103SJ, 1x HD204UI
Display(s) Hannspree HF259H
Case HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional
Power Supply Corsair TX850W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I like how on the slide it says "10% better x68 performance (Based on AMD projections using digital media workload)". Probably means IPC that is still really bad, maybe 1.25% better per "core" and 10% in highly threaded apps :shadedshu

System Name Multipurpose desktop
Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1605T @ 3.75Ghz , NB @ 2.5
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (rev 1.0)
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C, 2x120mm CM Blademaster
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP (4x4GB) @1666Mhz 9-9-9-20-24 1T
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix R7-370 4GB OC
Storage 2x WD Caviar Black 500GB Sata III in RAID 0
Display(s) Acer S211HL 21.5" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Centurion 534+, 3x 120mm CM Sickle Flow
Power Supply Seasonic X650 Gold
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium SP1
Single threaded performance isn't impressive, I agree.
It's about as good as my Phenom II. Which is OK, for most things, but you'd expect it to be higher, being a new design...
At this point, I'm probably going to go ahead and buy an x6 phenom to play with and pick up a Piledriver at some time in the future. Will it be a huge improvement going from an x6 to Piledriver? I doubt it, but it'll be an upgrade worth making at some point.

That being said, if I was planning a new rig right now, I'd be looking at an SB-E. I don't like the limited PCI-E lanes on the P67 and Z68 boards. If you're just gaming, they're fine, but for more connectivity/long term upgrading, not so good.