• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen Discussion Thread.

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
Notb, why are you so hung up on the IGP issue? Do you get an IGP in a 6900k - No, Do you get an IGP with a Xeon - No.... Only office cr@pboxes need an IGP, and there will be 4 core Ryzen APU's out soon which will fill the hole in the market you're obsessing about. In the mean time there are <£50 low end gpu's, or just use an old graphics card... who doesn't have an old gpu kicking around these days?

notb said:
So if 8 cores or more are the future, why is AMD selling 4-6 core CPUs?
Not everyone can afford an 8 core, so is AMD gonna tell everyone to go elsewhere? I don't think so. Also there's lots of dies with defective cores.. should they throw them in the bin or actually make some money back on them?

notb said:
And you are trying to persuade me that Ryzen is better in every way, aren't you?
And you're doing the exact same thing, trying to convince everyone that Ryzen is trash. Sure it's not perfect in every way but it's a good product if it meets your needs. If it doesn't do what you want then get something else obviously.

Now we get that you dislike Ryzen for multiple reasons, we've read your posts, got your points... but can you now just dial back the "Anti" attitude please. Be glad the CPU market just got a massive boot up the ass because you'll benefit from the shake-up too! :)

Edited - I woke up grouchy, sorry.

Last edited:
Notb, why are you so hung up on the IGP issue? Do you get an IGP in a 6900k - No, Do you get an IGP with a Xeon - No.... Only office cr@pboxes need an IGP, and there will be 4 core Ryzen APU's out soon which will fill the hole in the market you're obsessing about. In the mean time there are <£50 low end gpu's, or just use an old graphics card... who doesn't have an old gpu kicking around these days?
Because:
1) I find it great that you can have a PC without a dGPU - that you can build interesting (cheap, small, low-power) rigs for multiple scenarios (now or as a "second life" of a CPU),
2) it's nice to have a backup GPU, when your dGPU malfunctions,
3) actually there are no <£50 GPUs (not in the latest generations),
4) "office crapboxes" (including AIO) are most likely outselling large gaming desktops, so why doesn't AMD want that part of market?

And I'm pretty sure most people don't have a GPU kicking around.
E.g. I've been on IGP since 2007 and it's not like I use my computers for browsing facebook. :)

Xeon is a server CPU - an IGP would be a waste of space and money by definition. As for the HEDT i7 lineup - I think not including an IGP was a mistake, but at that point it gave us more cores. There is no excuse with modern process node - Intel is able to squeeze a tiny IGP in there.

Generally speaking, I wasn't a huge fan of moving the IGP into the CPU package in the first place - IMO it limits their potential.

This showcases your naivety perfectly... Not everyone can afford an 8 core, so is AMD gonna tell everyone to go elsewhere? I don't think so! Also there's lots of dies with defective cores.. should they throw them in the bin or actually make some money back on them?
8-core Bulldozer is way cheaper than 4-core Ryzen at this point and is not exactly much slower:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2992&cmp[]=1780
They could have updated the old platform (not necessarily moving it to AM4). I bet moving to a modern node would improve power efficiency as well.

Either way, it's not about the products as such. 4-core Ryzen is still a very good CPU. But if they base Ryzen strategy on a statement that 4-cores are obsolete, I find it funny that they're including such a CPU as well. :)
And you're doing the exact same thing, trying to convince everyone that Ryzen is trash. Sure it's not perfect in every way but it's a good product if it meets your needs. If it doesn't do what you want then get something else obviously, but don't hang around in here slagging it off to make yourself feel better about your choice.
I've never said that "Ryzen is trash". In fact the performance is excellent. But I find the platform to be somehow limited and I really don't like the whole "background" that AMD has created.
However, this forum is full of comments like "Intel is dead", "there is not point in buying Intel CPUs". No one is "hushing" their authors with arguments about "meeting one's needs". I wonder why. ;)
I'm simply trying to say that "a point" exists :)

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
The fx series is trash recommending anything that has to do with am3 at this point puts me at a loss for words.

The fx series is trash recommending anything that has to do with am3 at this point puts me at a loss for words.
Are there enough words left to give some proper arguments? :D

Honestly, comparing the cheap Ryzen 5 1400 and even cheaper FX-8350 - the latter isn't far behind in performance. The passmark link is in the previous comment.
I couldn't find any direct comparison from a decent review site - apparently no one bothered (or maybe AMD didn't allow it? :)).
You can find some results on the web, but they're hardly credible - here's an example (I hate these youtube slideshows...):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKp9h3SXmgs

I'm not saying FX-8350 is better than Ryzen 1400, but if you already have it and you can accept the outdated feature set, is it really worth replacing? You think it is? Why?

And keep in mind AMD is expected to release an even slower Ryzen 3 CPU (4C/4T) - still with a price tag over the $120 that you have to pay for FX-8350 at the moment.
No wonder FX-8350 is selling well lately...

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Pretty much every Ryzen user is either an enthusiast interested in novelties, someone actually in need for multi-core performance or basically an AMD-fanboy. So I'm not surprised they're all happy with their choice.

I owned an i7 3930k since 2011. It was and still is a great chip. However, I was looking to upgrade and my choices were to side/downgrade to 7700k which would be the wise choice for gaming or to try Ryzen. Broadwell-E lost my interest because I knew that was a wasted platform and Skylake-E was coming soon. Too impatient for Skylake-E (and possibly not willing to jump through Intel's pricing hoops) I bought Ryzen.

One of the factors that swayed me were numerous sites reported smoother FPS on a Ryzen than on a faster 7700k. A definite lack of hitching. Running a 980ti Kingpin and the 3930k I would experience hitching (albeit infrequently). I cannot exclude my new 1080ti being the reason but gaming now has no stutter, at all. I fully believe the Ryzen 8 core chip does a tremendous job at stable fps. This is obviously subjective but it is there enough for some reviewers to notice it as well.

It probably helps I used the QVL list and bought 3200 GSkill memory that runs as it should and after some fun tinkering my chip is stable and steady on air at 3.9Ghz, never breaking 65 degrees gaming steady for hours.

One deciding factor that I went for Ryzen was knowing Intel will constantly churn out new platforms for new chips and simply keep that mill turning. Ryzen was stated for a stable 3-4 year cycle. Psychologically it's nice to know my chip wont be trumped annually by something incrementally faster that I need a new platform to buy.

I'm not interested in novelties, I don't need 8 cores (didnt need 6) and I'm not an AMD fanboy. I bought Ryzen because it has an appeal Intel lost a very long time ago. And Intel messed up the X58 and X79 platforms with old tech (PCIE 2.0, USB controllers etc - not forgetting odd bugs) that was usurped almost straight away by the mainstream offerings from Haswell and Skylake. Intel almost seem to intentionally hobble platforms like Apple holds back tech to release as 'new' shit a year later.

Ryzen is an excellent choice. So is Intel but for me, moving from a 6 core CPU my choice was a £500 'old' Broadwell E 6 core (side grade), a £1000 Broadwell E 8 core, or a £380 8 core Ryzen that games pretty much on par with that Broadwell. Yes, 7700k would be faster at most games for sure but losing 2 cores seemed very shortsighted when looking to the future, especially when AMD have teamed up with Bethesda (whose games I play) to announce all AAA games will be AMD optimised.

Lets not be silly people. Intel are the more robust bet for a platform but AMD have made a solid and unexpectedly competent return with the CPU. Also, the money I saved to get an 8 core CPU that performs like an 8 core CPU with a decent IPC (£600+, six hundred pounds FFS!) went a long way to that GTX 1080ti.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Are there enough words left to give some proper arguments? :D

Honestly, comparing the cheap Ryzen 5 1400 and even cheaper FX-8350 - the latter isn't far behind in performance. The passmark link is in the previous comment.
I couldn't find any direct comparison from a decent review site - apparently no one bothered (or maybe AMD didn't allow it? :)).
You can find some results on the web, but they're hardly credible - here's an example (I hate these youtube slideshows...):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKp9h3SXmgs

I'm not saying FX-8350 is better than Ryzen 1400, but if you already have it and you can accept the outdated feature set, is it really worth replacing? You think it is? Why?

And keep in mind AMD is expected to release an even slower Ryzen 3 CPU (4C/4T) - still with a price tag over the $120 that you have to pay for FX-8350 at the moment.
No wonder FX-8350 is selling well lately...

Purchasing a platform that was outdated and lacking in features 3 years ago today. Oh what a great plan and those cpus even with the massive price cuts they have seen still aren't selling well.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make, but if the only goal is to say ryzen sucks, I'll be first to tell you no one cares. Everyone saw enough of that nonsense last month when the chip released. If you want to only have one cpu manufacturer then be my guest. I however would like multiple options and these new chips while not perfect offer excellent price/performance and depending on specific users needs outperform Intel options, something amd hasn't don't in almost 10 years.

Purchasing a platform that was outdated and lacking in features 3 years ago today. Oh what a great plan and those cpus even with the massive price cuts they have seen still aren't selling well.
As I said before: FX-8350 is out-selling Ryzen chips on Amazon most of the time (and FX-6300 is not far behind). You can check yourself:
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers...r-CPU-Processors/zgbs/pc/229189&tag=tec06d-20

And I did mention, that Ryzen's feature set is better, but maybe not everyone needs USB3.1 and so on.
Furthermore, there are some AM3+ mobos with integrated graphics, which makes an even cheaper combo possible and opens a possibility to use cases that don't allow a GPU (only option until Zen APU arrives).

I have no idea what point you are trying to make, but if the only goal is to say ryzen sucks, I'll be first to tell you no one cares. Everyone saw enough of that nonsense last month when the chip released. If you want to only have one cpu manufacturer then be my guest. I however would like multiple options and these new chips while not perfect offer excellent price/performance and depending on specific users needs outperform Intel options, something amd hasn't don't in almost 10 years.
Now this is interesting. I haven't even mentioned Intel in that comment...
You're accusing me of hoping that AMD will fail, because I'm defending their last gen products. Lovely.

I'm sorry to say this to a long-term and generally liked TPU forum user, but you seem to be way to absorbed into high-end stuff.
I doubt you understand the situation of someone, who has a $300-400 budget on a whole PC. It clearly shows as you have no idea how the low-end Ryzen CPUs perfom. :)
Why don't you concentrate on overclocking HEDT systems and stop attacking people actually interested in the low-end situation? :)

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
I really don't care if the current crop of Ryzen CPUs don't have an iGPU on-board, I have an Intel Core i5 3570K CPU (which has an iGPU on-board) and it's never been used. Intel's iGPU's (in my opinion) have never been worth the silicon it was made from, the performance of them have been always less than garbage. Sure, it provides a picture on a monitor but that's about it.

Edit: When you can get a cheap add-on video card like this an iGPU is worthless.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
As I said before: FX-8350 is out-selling Ryzen chips on Amazon most of the time (and FX-6300 is not far behind). You can check yourself:
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers...r-CPU-Processors/zgbs/pc/229189&tag=tec06d-20

And I did mention, that Ryzen's feature set is better, but maybe not everyone needs USB3.1 and so on.
Furthermore, there are some AM3+ mobos with integrated graphics, which makes an even cheaper combo possible and opens a possibility to use cases that don't allow a GPU (only option until Zen APU arrives).

All amazon's purchase list proves is more people are willing to buy trash from 2013. That is also only a single etailer. I can tell you from in person the only reason any human salesperson sells them is because AMD is giving away prizes to top sellers.

Ryzen is also more than just a feature set, the CPU itself is 60%+ faster per clock.

Now this is interesting. I haven't even mentioned Intel in that comment...
You're accusing me of hoping that AMD will fail, because I'm defending their last gen products. Lovely.

Their last gen products were not good when released let alone 4-5 years later.

I'm sorry to say this to a long-term and generally liked TPU forum user, but you seem to be way to absorbed into high-end stuff.
I doubt you understand the situation of someone, who has a $300-400 budget on a whole PC. It clearly shows as you have no idea how the low-end Ryzen CPUs perfom. :)
Why don't you concentrate on overclocking HEDT systems and stop attacking people actually interested in the low-end situation? :)

$300-400 budget PC's don't matter, AM4 isn't HEDT. Even people buying low end are silly to purchase an outdated setup. There will never be another AM3 CPU released, DDR3 is already slipping off of the market, most of the boards don't support modern features like NVMe. I'm sorry, buying a dead end is exactly what detracted me from purchasing intel's socket of the week.

I have played this game many times. The 8350 on a budget board is a terrible combination. If the goal is to eek the most performance out of your dollar humanly possible in games I would still grab a pentium over an FX at least then I can slap an i7 in on any board at any time. This is coming from someone who gamed forever on a 9370@5ghz and watched it disappear into uselessness.

I really don't care if the current crop of Ryzen CPUs don't have an iGPU on-board, I have an Intel Core i5 3570K CPU (which has an iGPU on-board) and it's never been used. Intel's iGPU's (in my opinion) have never been worth the silicon it was made from, the performance of them have been always less than garbage. Sure, it provides a picture on a monitor but that's about it.

Edit: When you can get a cheap add-on video card like this an iGPU is worthless.

Intel alone sells 400 mln CPUs yearly (AMD should add another 100 mln), while the figure for discrete GPUs is 45 mln. Intel's market share in GPU is more or less 70%.
So you might not care, but it seems there are more people on the planet and they might disagree. :)

And here's the trend in discrete GPU sales (source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10864/discrete-desktop-gpu-market-trends-q3-2016):

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Here is why that chart doesn't matter, nor does your statement about the $300-400 market.

Those are Q3 shipments of servers vs desktop/laptop. No one gives a rats behind about the desktop market. AMD built a CPU that scales and performs well, for the server market. They are currently using the desktop market as a blatant guinea pig to test the bugs out.

All amazon's purchase list proves is more people are willing to buy trash from 2013.
Soooo?
Is FX-8350 selling better than any Ryzen or not?

Ryzen is also more than just a feature set, the CPU itself is 60%+ faster per clock.
Oh man. I'm giving you data showing that FX-8350 is hardly slower than Ryzen 5 1400 in benchmarks/games (for 70% of the price) and your best counter argument is about IPC. Like who cares, really?
Their last gen products were not good when released let alone 4-5 years later.
I'm not saying they were good. I'm saying that Ryzen 1400 isn't much faster than FX-8350. But it seems you're not really interested in discussing that...
$300-400 budget PC's don't matter
It's nice you've finally admitted...
AM4 isn't HEDT.
I agree, but many Ryzen believers say it is. You should get your stories straight or something.
Even people buying low end are silly to purchase an outdated setup. There will never be another AM3 CPU released, DDR3 is already slipping off of the market, most of the boards don't support modern features like NVMe. I'm sorry, buying a dead end is exactly what detracted me from purchasing intel's socket of the week.
I don't think people with $400 budget on a PC care about NVMe support. You see? I told you: you don't understand low-budget consumers.
Also when you replace a PC every 4-5 years, it's usually a bad idea to upgrade just the CPU. E.g. there's usually a new DDR standard or a new disk/GPU interface.
I would still grab a pentium over an FX at least then I can slap an i7 in on any board at any time.
Again: oh man... Budget shopping in your world: get a pentium, so you can upgrade to i7. You really don't understand what I'm talking about, do you? :roll:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
@notb, what exactly is it you are trying to say, given you've successfully been derailing a discussion about Ryzen? This is a Ryzen discussion thread. You're not really saying much about it.
Talking about FX sales volumes, decreased discrete GPU volumes etc is not a discussion about Ryzen. Can i politely ask you to make a contribution or if you have no interest, start another thread about why you have an issue with something?

Those are Q3 shipments of servers vs desktop/laptop. No one gives a rats behind about the desktop market. AMD built a CPU that scales and performs well, for the server market. They are currently using the desktop market as a blatant guinea pig to test the bugs out.
LOL. Consumer PC figures are in thousands. :roll:

Also you seem to forget that CPU share in a consumer PC price is much higher than in a server.

From Intel's financial presentation YE 2016:
"
  • Client Computing Group revenue of $32.9 billion, up 2 percent from 2015
  • Data Center Group revenue of $17.2 billion, up 8 percent from 2015
"
So in case of Intel the PC stuff is worth twice as much as servers (figures above don't include storage solutions). Total revenue was $59.5 billion.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
LOL. Consumer PC figures are in thousands. :roll:

Also you seem to forget that CPU share in a consumer PC price is much higher than in a server.

From Intel's financial presentation YE 2016:
"
  • Client Computing Group revenue of $32.9 billion, up 2 percent from 2015
  • Data Center Group revenue of $17.2 billion, up 8 percent from 2015
"
So in case of Intel the PC stuff is worth twice as much as servers (figures above don't include storage solutions). Total revenue was $59.5 billion.

Data center group is direct sale to data center, not client based server information. That is why I used the chart I did.

Soooo?
Is FX-8350 selling better than any Ryzen or not?

on amazon.com?

Oh man. I'm giving you data showing that FX-8350 is hardly slower than Ryzen 5 1400 in benchmarks/games (for 70% of the price) and your best counter argument is about IPC. Like who cares, really?

You didn't show anything you said it does. Quite a few benchmarks out there show a multitude of games, single threaded or lightly threaded applications and even encoding that never once does the 8350 exceed the R5's performance...

I'm not saying they were good. I'm saying that Ryzen 1400 isn't much faster than FX-8350. But it seems you're not really interested in discussing that...

They are faster. Period. They are also on a platform that isn't decrepit and never going to see an update again.

It's nice you've finally admitted...

Admitted what the smallest market share and performance that is competitive with the iphone isn't that important.

I agree, but many Ryzen believers say it is. You should get your stories straight or something.

Who? Everyone in this thread has pretty openly said Ryzen is mainstream.

I don't think people with $400 budget on a PC care about NVMe support. You see? I told you: you don't understand low-budget consumers.
Also when you replace a PC every 4-5 years, it's usually a bad idea to upgrade just the CPU. E.g. there's usually a new DDR standard or a new disk/GPU interface.

Entry level laptops are starting to ship with 128GB NVMe drives, NVMe drive prices are dropping every single day. So your argument is buy something old and outdated so that from day one you can do absolutely nothing to improve performance of your PC? Sounds like phenomenal advice. I definitely don't work in this industry and throw away shit box fx rigs every day.

Again: oh man... Budget shopping in your world: get a pentium, so you can upgrade to i7. You really don't understand what I'm talking about, do you? :roll:

Get a pentium so there is at least an upgrade path. Funny thing about 4-5 years down the road, the prices fall on their face. 2700s is something like $50 on ebay and is still a very usable CPU right now thanks to a lack of performance increase in the market. I have done several of those upgrades for customers on pentium and i3 based systems. It is quite a bit cheaper than buying a whole new system. Unluckily on the AMD side 4-5 years ago gave them crap and a board that wont support newer crap.

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
If your polite post didnt do it... just report it amd walk away. No need to add to it (like i just did..but wanted to make a point).

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
This is not a Bulldozer discussion thread,, nor is it an Intel discussion thread, actually is not a sales and market share discussion thread either so stop it now or be prepared to have the door to this thread locked permanently.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
If your polite post didnt do it... just report it amd walk away. No need to add to it (like i just did..but wanted to make a point).

I'm part of this discussion and have been since buying a 1700X. It's here for discussion about Ryzen, pitfalls, the joys and surprises. FWIW, there is a clubfor Ryzen owners but this thread is also an opportunity to talk about it and best way to utilise it etc.

@notb, what exactly is it you are trying to say, given you've successfully been derailing a discussion about Ryzen? This is a Ryzen discussion thread. You're not really saying much about it.
Talking about FX sales volumes, decreased discrete GPU volumes etc is not a discussion about Ryzen. Can i politely ask you to make a contribution or if you have no interest, start another thread about why you have an issue with something?
Well... I was trying to learn whether Ryzen is an interesting choice in the low-end segment...
But I see this is a very difficult topic. I promise to stop being so inquisitive in this thread ASAP, as it's clearly getting nowhere. :D

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
This is not a Bulldozer discussion thread,, nor is it an Intel discussion thread, actually is not a sales and market share discussion thread either so stop it now or be prepared to have the door to this thread locked permanently.

It's quite funny, really. This discussion is full of favourable comparisons to AMD FX and Intel that you haven't reacted to...
Sorry, but I do feel that the only reason why I'm being moderated is because I'm not praising a new favourite of some forum users and admins.

Fine: your forum - your rules. This is my last post in this thread. :)

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
It's quite funny, really. This discussion is full of favourable comparisons to AMD FX and Intel that you haven't reacted to...
Sorry, but I do feel that the only reason why I'm being moderated is because I'm not praising a new favourite of some forum users and admins.

Fine: your forum - your rules. This is my last post in this thread. :)
It is quite funny, you are being moderated because you have written reams of off topic stuff and I mean reams of it, pretty much throughout the thread (in places), its also funny that my comment was not specifically mentioning you but you knew straight away who I was talking about, you see I deliberately kept it impersonal, by you throwing your kitten out of the pram you clearly ended that.
You really think that I care less about what you or anyone else cares to praise or otherwise? I was about to purchase a 1500X but I was unfortunately offered a deal of the year on a 6700k BNIB for literally £10 more than the 1500X so I went with that instead, simply because it meets my meagre needs better, Your welcome to remain but as I said, please keep it on topic, it already has been derailed on more than one occasion.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
And GPU's aren't bought for long term? That's interesting - even more when you think about the price difference.
In a well balanced gaming rig the GPU is usually twice as expensive as CPU, isn't it?
GPUs are bought for 1-4 years, depends heavily on the user, while CPUs are usually bought for much longer.
It's fine as long as you're guessing - not deducing from personal experience. ;)
Trying to sound smart isn't the same as really being smart, you know?
Like most, I'm not overly happy with Intel CPU performance. They could have left i7 as a HEDT part and give us a 4C/8T i5 at a lower price point.
They will maybe do that, after Ryzen gave them some competition - the same Ryzen you hate so much. ;)
Looking at Ryzen - the performance is great and it's clearly more affordable than Intel (as usual). But everything else is meh, IMO. Putting raw performance aside, there's nothing in Ryzen platform that I'd find more attractive than Intel's counterpart.
Suddenly you accept Ryzen has great performance - but then again you try to talk down Ryzen with strange statements like "raw performance aside...". Too bad that raw performance is the main thing. Let me give you an example for that: I use a platform right now (X79) that has not much else than "raw performance". It does not have USB 3.1, not many 3.0, not many SATA 3.0, no NVME, no DDR4 ... etc. you get the idea. Performance is utterly important. No sense in talking it down.
And when new generations arrive, your CPU will no longer have the performance advantage. You're left with just the meh stuff.
"My" CPU? I don't own a Ryzen and I'm not planning on buying one atm either, yet I'm very much interested in it and its success because it's simply important for me as a user and for the market. You also sound like a Intel fanboy here, very much so. For once, try to see the positivity in Ryzen and don't try to talk it down all the time. You take this way too personal anyway.
Actually someone here unwillingly gave me a very good analogy (in the RX580 thread he said that no one buys a Corvette to complain about fuel consumption).
To me Ryzen has an appearance of a muscle-car. It's very striking, it has great power and attractive price. But it's not a car for everyone. Most people end up buying sophisticated german high-end saloons or sensible hatchbacks. And just like I could not own a Corvette, I'm just not attracted at all by the whole Ryzen "encasement".
Comparing Ryzen to a RX 580 or a Corvette is just bad, because Ryzen is still more efficient than Intel's stuff. Did you even read a single review about Ryzen, or why are you making such boldly wrong statements?
And you are trying to persuade me that Ryzen is better in every way, aren't you? :)
No I'm not. Actually I only recommended Ryzen to users that are in need for more than just gaming, I recommended it to streamers and users who do more than just gaming. Atm I'm recommending i7 5820K or 6800K for highend gamers for example.
Oh you're so wrong about this. But it shows that you don't really get how powerful CPUs are used in general. Maybe it's because you're looking at it with a gamer's point of view.
But I guess we can forgive you that. AMD does the same mistake and they should've known better. :)
I'm not. Even the workstation only users would simply go and buy a discrete GPU if Intel would not gift them one. Intel just did this to counter AMDs APU line and - as I already said and you so boldly ignored - increase die space in an effort to still have a usable CPU.
Well... you're an AMD user, so you tell me. Don't you want to know how Ryzen performs compared to your CPU? How will you decide whether replacing your system is worth it?
There's a system spec button right under my name, did you care to check it before you made false assumptions like "you're an AMD user"? :rolleyes: My last AMD CPU was a Phenom II 940 and that was over 3 1/2 years ago. And your question: ofc I do, that's why I'm better informed on it than you!
So if 8 cores or more are the future, why is AMD selling 4-6 core CPUs?
I thought I already said that? They need to sell defective CPUs, the DIE of 4-6 core Ryzen is the same as the 8 Core ones. Also not everyone wants a 8 core or needs a 8 core. Same with 6 cores. 4 Cores is still the sweetspot for a mainstream user. 6-8 is more enthusiast-like or for more than just gaming oriented.
As for the 10-year-old lifespan: I have a CPU from 2009 (bought in June, 2010). Honestly, I'd replace it years ago if I didn't have a good notebook provided by my company. And it's not even about performance. It's simply an old platform: old RAM, old interfaces, old drivers. The mobo doesn't work with modern GPU, it uses DDR2, has hardly any support for SSD, no USB 3.0 etc. For some reason I couldn't install W10 (even though it's working well on an even older laptop). It's very hard to upgrade. So when you're telling me that I could use Ryzen for 10 years - you're most likely right. But will I accept all the drawbacks of having a 10-y-o PC? I doubt that. Not in a main PC I use for everyday tasks - maybe in a home server or something (but again... as Ryzen lacks IGP, it's not the ideal choice).
That's why I said "up to 10 years" or "5-10 years". I didn't say it's optimal to do something like that, I never did it myself. The longest I had a CPU was 5 years. That is, as an active gamer who plays AAA games and needs constant upgrades to be able to do that. Still, it doesn't change my point, the point was, a CPU is for longterm usage (nowadays), more than anything else in a PC.

Last edited:

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
About the IGP... I think it's a good thing, overall. It's finally good enough for mainstream users to actually get use out of it, even some light gaming. It's even useful for enthusiasts, in some specific scenarios. Maybe you need backup graphics because something happened to your card, or maybe you find QuickSync useful. Maybe for streaming, at least, freeing the load from the CPU.