• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Unlikely to Fix DX9 Games Bugged by Adrenalin Driver

LOL the miles AMD fanatics go through to justify this dick move is simply mind blowing! Really if AMD went tomorrow or next year or whatever and announced they are dropping DX10 and DX11 games as well they wouldn't even flinch.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
But the problem isn't the GPU, it's the current release of drivers. The Radeon GPU's themselves are fine.
In there lies the problem. AMD has some great hardware which is why we see constant performance improvements over time but, on the other hand it makes AMD's driver devs look incompetent. nVidia doesn't have that problem and they arguably get more done with less hardware for this very reason. Drivers aren't AMD's strong suit by any means. AMD going the "mostly open source" route with AMDGPU is a great example of this because they know the community is going to solve problems better than they can but, there are just certain things they don't want to give up the code for but, that's okay because even those things have open source implementations (for things like Vulkan which AMD recent open sourced and OGL 4.5 support,) that arguably are closer to being better implementations.

tl;dr: Hardware is only as good as the drivers.

sprsk

Also in War of Warships , Black Screen suddenly inside game.
Even with Alt+tab, it's impossible most of the times to fix it. Hard reset, needed, most of the times.

In there lies the problem. AMD has some great hardware which is why we see constant performance improvements over time but, on the other hand it makes AMD's driver devs look incompetent. nVidia doesn't have that problem and they arguably get more done with less hardware for this very reason. Drivers aren't AMD's strong suit by any means. AMD going the "mostly open source" route with AMDGPU is a great example of this because they know the community is going to solve problems better than they can but, there are just certain things they don't want to give up the code for but, that's okay because even those things have open source implementations (for things like Vulkan which AMD recent open sourced and OGL 4.5 support,) that arguably are closer to being better implementations.

tl;dr: Hardware is only as good as the drivers.
Good points. There in we find a clue to the solution, this is apparently a recent development resulting from driver updates, so the solution must be an easy to find and possibly easy to fix problem. As this problem is absent from other tested DX9 games, it may also be possible to release patches directly for affected games.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
Good points. There in we find a clue to the solution, this is apparently a recent development resulting from driver updates, so the solution must be an easy to find and possibly easy to fix problem. As this problem is absent from other tested DX9 games, it may also be possible to release patches directly for affected games.
It's probably a certain feature being used or something being assumed to occur in DX9 where it doesn't in other APIs. With enough stack traces from different games, they'll probably identify what is causing it rather quickly. I suspect that they'll hotfix this (as in, release a fix before the next release. That's what I would do if my code had a problem like this.)

It's probably a certain feature being used or something being assumed to occur in DX9 where it doesn't in other APIs. With enough stack traces from different games, they'll probably identify what is causing it rather quickly. I suspect that they'll hotfix this (as in, release a fix before the next release. That's what I would do if my code had a problem like this.)
AMD releases drivers swiftly enough that they will likely fix it in the next scheduled release, if they fix it.
AMD: "I don't believe it..."
nVidia: "...that is why you fail."
Funny.. But really?

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
So according to @OneMoar , AMD fu*cked up their driver, as result I as a consumer should buy another GPU to play games I like? Pretty solid logic.

Mental gymnastics surely is a thing now days.

I've yet to encounter one I could blame on the GPU driver with the exception of some gamebryo games that honestly, were coded horribly from day 1 and there are workarounds available.
Drivers are always going to broken somewhere on both sides. What I don't understand is why AMD felt like announcing that they're going to continue doing what they and Nvidia already do.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
this WHOLE thing is microsofts fault the only reason DX9 hasn't been dead and gone for 10 years is windows xp and the idiots that keep supporting it
it needs to die every legacy api every legacy driver every single line of code needs to go

it is a performance and security disaster ANYTHING affiliated with the era should be burned and buried
DX9 going away is not an answer. There are still games being made in DX9 and a stable of probably at least a thousand still popular DX9 games. It works just fine in W10.

As for XP code needing to go, yeah, I agree completely.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
What?
:laugh:

If you feel my posts are inappropriate, go ahead and report me to the admins, please. I encourage you to do so. I don't mind infractions or bans for saying things like they are.

You'd probably be doing the world a favor.

I tell you what, you can deactivate this account of mine right now, I wouldn't mind at all. While you're at it, remove all my posts too. Peace. TPU is a stupid forum anyways, full of retarded fanboys. I found that out years ago when I first joined here to discuss AMD drivers having a high CPU overhead, and I was told that AMD's drivers don't need any improvements regarding draw calls, and I am stupid for thinking such an issue exists.

You were told, by one of the many random people who visit this forum like you and myself :)

Forum, and discussion, and threads are there to actually find new information, not convince the world of your truths, even though that is a nice side effect that COULD occur from time to time (given that you're actually right about things and are good at providing evidence to support it).

Its funny because the AMD drivers cpu overhead issue is widely acknowledged, you won't hear or see me deny any of it. And also, how does 'denying that' mix with a supposed 'pro Nvidia' or 'fanboy' stance in this topic? They are perfect opposites...

As you can see, logic wins the day. You'll see yourself out, I trust, or come to terms with this community. Door's open. Taking each other seriously is a two way street y'know ;)

Processor i7 4930k
Motherboard Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho
Memory 4 X 4096 MB G.Skill DDR3 1866 9-10-9-26
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GV-N780OC-3GD
Storage Crucial M4 128GB, M500 240GB, Samsung HD103SJ 1TB
Display(s) Planar PX2710MW 27" 1920x1080
Case Corsair 500R
Power Supply RAIDMAX RX-1200AE
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Are these issues tied to DX9?
If not, the title may be misleading as it feels like AMD is giving up DX9 support.

Only game I'm aware of being incompatible with NVIDIA is Midtown Madness 1. That game started having problems the moment GeForce cards were released, something to do with rendering method (gets flying and flickering polygons all over the screen). It's possible it got fixed since so much time has passed, GPU's changed and there have been a lot of drivers in between. It's possible it fixed itself on its own. Gotta try it one day, but I know it didn't work from day I got GeForce 2...
Oh, that's my favorite game. It's strange for me to hear about this issue because I've played it on Riva TNT2 in 2002, Ti 4200 in 2003 and a 540M in 2011, it always ran fine, and so did Midtown Madness 2 which has the same engine.

AMD just needs to fire entire RTG PR/marketing/pricing/whatever team, throughout 2017 they delivered nothing but fiasco after a fiasco: first Vega misinformation and pricing shenanigans, then RX 560 core nerfing and now this. I'm feeling they don't take PC gaming market seriously anymore, banking on miners instead, just take look at this, now they're branding FE as "Vega Frontier Edition for Blockchain Pioneers" while reference RX Vega along with the AIO version (which is superior to any hybrid cooler on the market) have been quietly discontinued.
https://pro.radeon.com/en/product/radeon-vega-frontier-edition/
https://wccftech.com/amd-stops-shipping-reference-rx-vega-favor-custom-cards/

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
There are still games being made in DX9
Hence why an entire code base needs to be maintained. A testament to bad decisions made upon bad decisions. This is the kind of bed you have sleep in when you by a mattress from Microsoft. :laugh:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
the only way to get rid of the cancer that is DX9 is to cut it out and irradiate the area

if that means a dozen or so crappy games written by people too stupid to use a modern API die

so be it nothing of value was lost

the solution is assuredly not to continue supporting a fundamentally broken and inferior api because, of a few abandoned games and devs that should know better that will just lead right back to this situation down the road

dust off a 750ti or 7870 and get over it or copy the dx dll files needed,pension the game studio to fix there shit or buckle down and write a d3d9 to 11 wrapper

I am sorry it can't stay 2008 forever progress sometimes sucks
edit: dlls are here https://mega.nz/#F!8tlAhDyQ!2AkAQukJKAYuIWEzDTGtFA!IslFkTSL
peace=out

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
I'm beginning to see why companies prefer using GeForce cards in their data centers.

Seriously though, entertaining thread. 10 out of 10.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
I'm beginning to see why companies prefer using GeForce cards in their data centers.

Seriously though, entertaining thread. 10 out of 10.

Not just industry, academia as well. No sane researcher in public or private biology/medical research would bother with AMD's offering. I was stupid enough to try to get some genome assembler working on AMD's OpenCL compiler, worst 2 months of my coding experience. 0 technical support from AMD.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Mining is going that route as well. Nvidia cards are so much user friendly.

Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
this WHOLE thing is microsofts fault the only reason DX9 hasn't been dead and gone for 10 years is windows xp and the idiots that keep supporting it
it needs to die every legacy api every legacy driver every single line of code needs to go

it is a performance and security disaster ANYTHING affiliated with the era should be burned and buried
game developers where told that DX9 was depreciated 12 years ago they choose not to act well now there games don't work anymore so sad too bad
Dx9 is far from dead, Take a look at Steam game library of indie games added over last year. You will find a ton that STILL made using DX9. Even one the most popular games right now League of Legends is a DX9 game. Just cause you think its dead and gone is far from the fact ton's of people use it cause its easy to use and tons of documentation for it makes it easy for them to code games for. Lets not also forget games like DOTA and CS:GO that still use it.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
whats hilarious is for the longest time AMD gpus actually played a LOT of games Nvidia GPUs would not that were far older. Examples being Shogun Total War the original. Until it was remastered only AMD gpus could still play that game. Its still a fun and extremely engaging RTS. For systems running older games I usually used AMD gpus. looks like i can cross them off now lol.

Dx9 is far from dead, Take a look at Steam game library of indie games added over last year. You will find a ton that STILL made using DX9. Even one the most popular games right now League of Legends is a DX9 game. Just cause you think its dead and gone is far from the fact ton's of people use it cause its easy to use and tons of documentation for it makes it easy for them to code games for. Lets not also forget games like DOTA and CS:GO that still use it.
Exactly right. Software is not obsolete just because it's older. If it's useful, well understood, effective and easy to use, it's still valid and relevant. This problem is not DirectX9, or Microsoft's, fault(a rare occasion). This was a driver problem unintentionally introduced by an advancement AMD made. This has happened to NVidia and Intel after graphics drivers update in the past also.
whats hilarious is for the longest time AMD gpus actually played a LOT of games Nvidia GPUs would not that were far older. Examples being Shogun Total War the original. Until it was remastered only AMD gpus could still play that game. Its still a fun and extremely engaging RTS. For systems running older games I usually used AMD gpus. looks like i can cross them off now lol.
I wouldn't do that just yet. This is an issue that does not affect all games and AMD will likely get it fixed anyway.

I love Kane's Wrath, such a complete gaming experience. It runs on any current hardware, anyway. It always were optimisation friendly.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
Exactly right. Software is not obsolete just because it's older. If it's useful, well understood, effective and easy to use, it's still valid and relevant. This problem is not DirectX9, or Microsoft's, fault(a rare occasion). This was a driver problem unintentionally introduced by an advancement AMD made. This has happened to NVidia and Intel after graphics drivers update in the past also.

I wouldn't do that just yet. This is an issue that does not affect all games and AMD will likely get it fixed anyway.

The Witcher will likely be fixed by CD Projeckt due to their GoG platform etc. The other games tho are unlikely to see a Developer fix cause well its EA lol. Generally speaking this is expected but still disheartening.