1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD's Q4 2006 less than hoped for.

Discussion in 'News' started by DanTheBanjoman, Jan 12, 2007.

1. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    AMD is warning that the fourth quarter of last year isn't as good as expected. Instead of estimated revenues that were as high as $1.83 billion expectations should be lowered towards the $1.33 billion they had in Q3 2006. This does however exclude the recently acquired ATI Technologies company.
    AMD is obviously feeling the breathe of Intel's Core 2 Duo processors in it's neck. AMD refused to comment any further and suggested to wait for the full report which will be released January 23th.

Source: CNET News

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    That still isnt bad at all for a profit. Of course, Intels C2D is better, they took a page from AMDs book. AMD should feel proud about that. No doubt they will bounce back (look how long it took AMD to actually take the performance crown the first time :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I just hope they move a little faster this time. lol. Core2 keeps calling my name.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    A: By mis-marketing there CPUs by "virtual performance ratings".

Without that AMD wouldn't be what it is. Not because there CPUs are that bad but because average consumers are that dumb. I don't understand why BOTH manufactures don't use mflop or mip numbers in there model numbering and specification system. It would help avoid having to read thru 50 benchmarks to see what works. AMD has some major catching up to do. I knew as soon as they finally caught up to the P4 Intel would fire out something new (core2) and the're already 2 steps ahead (quad). They won't let AMD get ahead. AMD may be a sexy hoe with some biggest but Intel is still the :pimp:

5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    OH NOES!!!! Only $1.33 Billion!?!?! What will they do!?!?!

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  6. EviLZeD

EviLZeD New Member

Thanks Received:
    kinda sad for amd but i guess its intels turn to be making high expectations

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. zOaib New Member

Thanks Received:
    i like AMD as much as i did when i had one , athlon 64 4000+ clawhammer , then owned a x2 939 4800+ toledo ................. nice procs no doubt about it , but core 2 duo pretty much ripped that all away , price and in performance , there shud always be competition and i hope that AMD comes back in the game , cause no matter how great intel c2d is , AMD has to make a comeback for the sake of not lettign intel monopolise and then we will all hate intel because then they can charge us anything they want.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. bornfree New Member

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU
  9. EviLZeD

EviLZeD New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea without amd intel can charge us anything for processors

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. boecke

boecke New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've always had a hate for Intel, I do hope that AMD does come back with a product that gets them back in the lead again and helps us all out performance/price wise.

11. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    refresh my memory how many $$$ was that

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:

Yeah, exactly. AMD/ATI's combined profits should be sky high and with the new 65nm chips and the R600 coming out, they may just be back in the game.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    I own AMD stocks. They dropped nearly 10% (a maximum of 11%, but finally settled on 9.5%). I lost nearly $400. Time to buy more, I suppose. I'm hoping I'll earn enough to buy myself a new AMD/ATi setup. :p

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    found it "AMD to shell out $5.4 billion for ATI"
    that still leaves em 44.6 short.....ouch!

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Think about it though. They accquired a major graphics card company AND more factories for producing the chips. The factories alone would cost out the ass to build.

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    44.6 BILLION off forecast is allot more than just "feeling the breathe "

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    More like "feeling the bludgeon"

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    I don't, when companies rush we see things like AM2, and P4. I would much rather have AMD slow down, and come out with something to rock core2, so that of course I can pay less for higher performance.

Honestly the intel/amd-fanboyism is just dumb, I love both intel and AMD. I find it funny now that many AMD fanboys have shutup after core2. Asking if you want AMD or Intel is like asking if you want Nvidia or ATI/AMD (graphics wise), it really dosent matter because most of the time the products are on a pretty level playing ground. If any of you recall on the verge of Core 2 their were some reallllyyy long news threads on this forum due to blind AMD fanboys not wanting core 2 to exist. I see no logical reason to hate either AMD or Intel.

Personally Im staying with DDR until DDR3 systems, I feel that that is just around the corner. I'm one of the buyers who buys one gen and skips the next because its simply too expensive to keep buying the current gen hardware.

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I only meant in relation to how long it took to take the performance lead the first time. I'm just hoping it doesn't take decades this time around. lol. Seriously tho, I am hoping they at least close the gap a little bit in the next year or so.

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    sounds good to me!

10 Year Member at TPU