• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Android X86 Club

L4RRYderLURCH

Ok, this is my bad, I should have checked the specs. That is an AMD based device. Unfortunately, AndroidX86 has not been fully tested with AMD mobile chipsets and has a few glitches and bugs. When you stated "netbook" I thought something Intel Atom based, a chipset that is very well supported.
Well, other than that I didn't experience any bugs so I'd be fine with a workaround instead of a fix. Sadly im not too familiar with Android, is there any other way to safely shut down the device? I'm thinking of something like the console in windows, is there anything similar in Android?

Well, other than that I didn't experience any bugs so I'd be fine with a workaround instead of a fix. Sadly im not too familiar with Android, is there any other way to safely shut down the device? I'm thinking of something like the console in windows, is there anything similar in Android?
Yes, there is a utility that will allow you to shut down your system through software commands. It requires that you have root on your install(you would have been asked during install and if you didn't say yes, you will need to format the drive, reinstall and choose yes).
The first time you run it you will be asked for root access, deny the first time, then go into the root management menu and allow. This is because if you allow on the first instance Reboot will shut down the system before the "Allow" setting is saved in system settings(it's that fast). It's a little tricky and I can walk you through it if you'd like.

Additionally, you should use a firewall as well.
Again, requires root, but it's an excellent way to protect yourself and your Android system from a lot of harm. I would recommend the paid version as it's worth every penny and supporting the dev is always a positive thing, but you don't have too. The only differences between the two are the Gold Shield Icon instead of the Silver Shield Icon.

Last edited:

L4RRYderLURCH

Yes, there is a utility that will allow you to shut down your system through software commands. It requires that you have root on your install(you would have been asked during install and if you didn't say yes, you will need to format the drive, reinstall and choose yes).
The first time you run it you will be asked for root access, deny the first time, then go into the root management menu and allow. This is because if you allow on the first instance Reboot will shut down the system before the "Allow" setting is saved in system settings(it's that fast). It's a little tricky and I can walk you through it if you'd like.

Again, requires root, but it's an excellent way to protect yourself and your Android system from a lot of harm. I would recommend the paid version as it's worth every penny and supporting the dev is always a positive thing, but you don't have too. The only differences between the two are the Gold Shield Icon instead of the Silver Shield Icon.
I installed the Reboot app and denied root acess, then I turned the Superuser authorization in the appsettings on, howerver it still asks me to give superuser acess when trying to power down. Do I need some kind of rootmanager to permit superuser acess?

The Only setting I can find there is called "Root acess" and gives me the option to turn Root on or of for apps and ADB, but I cant select specific apps.
I don't have it currently installed on a system, give me a little while to install and I'll walk you through it.

L4RRYderLURCH

I don't have it currently installed on a system, give me a little while to install and I'll walk you through it.
I think I already found the solution; I just granted it root acess opon askin to turn it of and after restarting I was able to turn it of without being asked for superuser access again. Since I enabled superuser acess in the app settings in the first place, I think it just took a reboot to make that that setting work.

I instlalled the firewall, gave it superuser acess an enabled it, do I need to do anything ese to make it work properly?

I think I already found the solution; I just granted it root acess opon askin to turn it of and after restarting I was able to turn it of without being asked for superuser access again. Since I enabled superuser acess in the app settings in the first place, I think it just took a reboot to make that that setting work.
Where did you find it? I'm still looking.. Glad you got it working though. I'm not as familiar with 9.0R2.
I instlalled the firewall, gave it superuser acess an enabled it, do I need to do anything ese to make it work properly?
You need to run the app and enable it from the ":"(3 dots) menu. Then it's a matter of enabling and disabling apps and system apps that need internet access. This will give you control of what apps have access when or if you want.

System Name cjb76-B365M-H
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz, Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core
Motherboard Gigabyte B365M H
Cooling Generic Intel
Memory 16341MB (9474MB used)
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 @ 3600x1121 pixels via The X.Org Foundation
Storage ATA CT500MX500SSD1, ATA ST2000DM001-1E61, ATA KINGSTON SA400S3, 1TB TOSHIBA External USB 3.0
Case CoolerMaster
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Core3D [Sound Blaster Recon3D / Z-Series] (rev 01)
Power Supply CoolerMaster RS 700 - PCAA-E3
Mouse Roccat
Keyboard SteelSeries MERC
Yes. Any LAN adapter compatible with Linux is generally compatible with AndroidX86. Android is fully compatible with any network connection that Linux is, by design.

Just wanted to clarify that I was able to establish a connection by restarting the initial setup process and choosing the "Virtual Wi-Fi" option.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz, Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core
Cooling Generic Intel
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 @ 3600x1121 pixels via The X.Org Foundation
Storage ATA CT500MX500SSD1, ATA ST2000DM001-1E61, ATA KINGSTON SA400S3, 1TB TOSHIBA External USB 3.0
Case CoolerMaster
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Core3D [Sound Blaster Recon3D / Z-Series] (rev 01)
Mouse Roccat
Just for the record, I was able to use my Ethernet connection by selecting the "Virtual Wi-Fi" option during the initial setup of AndroidX86

Cooling Generic Intel
Case CoolerMaster
Mouse Roccat
android-x86_64-9.0-r2-k49.iso
First time I tried to install, I was like "Virt-Wi-Fi!?" So I just skipped it and figured I could work it out later but no dice and ended up coming here just to confirm whether AX86 could use Ethernet or not.
I was assured it was so I re-installed and chose the "Virtual Wi-Fi" option and wallah! everything's working. Though I was a little worried i wasn't shown any dialogue to confirm my modem/router's properties or password etc, it just worked.

android-x86_64-9.0-r2-k49.iso
First time I tried to install, I was like "Virt-Wi-Fi!?" So I just skipped it and figured I could work it out later but no dice and ended up coming here just to confirm whether AX86 could use Ethernet or not.
I was assured it was so I re-installed and chose the "Virtual Wi-Fi" option and wallah! everything's working. Though I was a little worried i wasn't shown any dialogue to confirm my modem/router's properties or password etc, it just worked.
I'm gonna have to play around with 9.0r2 a little more. Seems like some important changes have been made.

Cooling Generic Intel
Case CoolerMaster
Mouse Roccat
Looks like I jumped onboard at a good time then. All I have to do know is get my Wacom intuos working on it.
Apparently there are legacy drivers built into Ax86 but my graphics tablet is less than 12 months old, gonna have to hunt down some newer ones, if any.

Looks like I jumped onboard at a good time then. All I have to do know is get my Wacom intuos working on it.
Apparently there are legacy drivers built into Ax86 but my graphics tablet is less than 12 months old, gonna have to hunt down some newer ones, if any.
Fair enough. To give you an idea, I'm currently running CM14.1R3 64bit on a Dell Optiplex 390 with a Core i5-2500 with 8GB of DDR3-1600 with a GTX670 4GB and a 500GB WD 7200RPM HDD. I have no problems and performance is awesome!

Last edited:
Cooling Generic Intel
Case CoolerMaster
Mouse Roccat
Can I ask what you use it for, primarily?
I have a soft spot for the Optiplex family, one of my first machines was an Optiplex GX150 Pentium 3 930Mhz/512MB, around 2006. Ahh the memories!

As a general use PC. Watching videos, listening to music, playing games and surfing the net. Emulation on Android is top notch.

bankmrc054

Hello, from Bangkok.

May I ask your question about the Android X86 touchpad when I touch another Left side is working on the right is not working? Do you have any idea to solve this issue? I have to try many solutions but is not the true way.

The video as attached.

android-x86-8.1-r5
Tablet OEM FView Mi843 (Windows 10 OS before changed to android)

Thank you very much,
Bank

Attachments

• 26803.jpg
    26803.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 26804.jpg
    26804.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 26805.jpg
    26805.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 113
First off, welcome to TPU!
Hello, from Bangkok.

May I ask your question about the Android X86 touchpad when I touch another Left side is working on the right is not working? Do you have any idea to solve this issue? I have to try many solutions but is not the true way.
Unfortunately I have no experience with running AndroidX86 on a tablet. My experience is limited to laptops and desktops. However, from the video's you showed, it looks like the touchscreen digitizer needs a driver which that version of Android doesn't have built-in. So perhaps try AndroidX86 9.0R2? You may also want to try CM14.1R3.

bankmrc054

First off, welcome to TPU!

Unfortunately I have no experience with running AndroidX86 on a tablet. My experience is limited to laptops and desktops. However, from the video's you showed, it looks like the touchscreen digitizer needs a driver which that version of Android doesn't have built-in. So perhaps try AndroidX86 9.0R2? You may also want to try CM14.1R3.

Thank you very much for your kind support, I have to try Install AndroidX86 9.0R2 but the problem still the same. I have this Tablet model 100 tablets that need to convert to Android because they need to run the application on android or IOS only. Anyway io will try your succession to find the touchscreen digitizer driver for android and try to install CM14.1R3

Thank you very much,
Bank

03aksii

HELP /// First time it booted fine, when I restarted it's stuck on detecting Android x86...found at sda2

Here's some background:
  1. I tried it on Live CD, works fine.
  2. I've dual booted it with Windows 10 in a different smaller partition on the same HDD, worked fine
  3. Then, I decided to install it as my main os. I've followed guides, but I didn't work with partitions, I just chose to install it on a hard disk automatically. The installation went good, but when I run it I'm stuck on Android logo splash screen and it sits like that forever. I've tried nomodeset xforcevesa, but it didn't work
  4. I've tried to make custom partitions during installations, 200 MB primary bootable for grub, and the rest primary for data. The installation went fine, I pressed run Android x86 and it booted and worked fine. Then on restart, it's stuck on Detecting Android x86. Tried nomodeset xforcevesa, but it didn't work again.
I'm using a 32-bit version android-x86-9.0-r2, here are some PC specs:
RAM: 8GB 1333Hz
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 265 Dual Core 3.3 GHz x64 based processor, using 32bit version because it's old
HDD: 160GB Seagate standard speed
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 420
I feel like I'm really close to making it work, any help is appreciated :love:

Welcome!
when I restarted it's stuck on detecting Android x86...found at sda2
With a fresh install and no other OS's on the drive you should be seeing "/dev/sda1".

Additionally, you should be using the 64bit version of 9.0R2. Even though you've got older hardware, 64bits will not slow it down. 32bits will cause needless limitations. Go grab the 64bit iso of 9.0R2.

Ok, the next part is important. You had a dual boot setup and you're going back to single boot configuration. This requires that you reset your MBR(Master Boot Record) for your drive. Simply deleting old partitions and creating a new one is not enough. If you do not know how to reset/rebuild your drive MBR, let me know and I'll walk you through it.

Next, you need to reinstall Android. The bootloader thinks the mount point is a secondary partition, which doesn't exist because you deleted it. Resetting the MBR and reinstalling Android will fix the issue and you'll only need to do it once.

Aswitzer

Hello all,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. I am new to using Android x86 so trying to find some online communities for some help.

I installed Android 9 using Android x86 onto a large table top tablet. When I open some apps, including the Google Play Store, Settings, Chrome... Etc... The app opens as a window.

How do I get apps to open automatically into full screen mode?

When an App opens in window mode, it opens in a small window right in the center of the screen. There is a full screen button at the top right of the window to click. Clicking that appears to make the app go fullscreen, but the actual image of the app stays the same size as it was in the window... The rest of the screen just turns black.

I can get some apps to go into full screen by clicking the full screen button, then clicking a setting within the app that is directed to an external link. Then when I go back to the app it goes full screen.

Or the Settings app for example. I click the full screen button on the small window and it puts the black background around the small image of the setting apps. If I click on any setting, the app will all of a sudden go full screen.

Any ideas on how to get apps to go auto full screen?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20200506_083149.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20200506_083156.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 79
Any ideas on how to get apps to go auto full screen?
This is because you chose the desktop UI instead of the standard UI when you first setup the installation. You will need to run the other launcher(Trebuchet) and config apps to run in full screen mode in the "Developer Options" section in Settings.

Aswitzer

Oh my goodness, it was just the launcher... Haha! Seems to have solved the problem completely.

Thanks for taking the time to help, lexluthermiester. I appreciate it! Glad to have found a place for my Android x86 questions.