• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anime Nation

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
2nd gig is great. SAC was more episodic, while 2nd gig had more of a static plot. You don't necessarily see everything happening. A lot is simply inferred. It's only there if you look. There's not that sense of movement and just... things happening. It feels like you're uncovering more and more of the overall situation as you're going along. Like a big mosiac that you're examining piece by piece.

I really liked that. It's a lot like trying to look at the real world and trying to make sense of the state of things, like following the news and piecing together the puzzle of reality, you know? And as you dial in more and more, a bigger picture comes into view and previously small events take on new meaning. Kind of invites you to really think and observe as you go along. Take it slow. Beneath it all is a truth that nobody can hold. Pretty deep stuff. I prefer it over SAC, for the most part. The pacing threw me the first time through. But by the second run I loved it. And then I watched it 7 or 8 more times that year.

I guess the way to put it is that it shows you this future scenario almost as you would uncover it if you were living in that time, just looking at your surroundings, talking to people, and watching the news. Really puts you there in that way. I think that's a big part of what makes it believable. You experience it as you would if it were real.

And yeah, you're right about the atmosphere and feel of both those series and the movies. It leaves a hole in your life that nothing else fills. The manga's great, but it doesn't have the same impact on me. I enjoy them the same, just differently from the anime. Haven't read the books. Need to.

Yoko Kanno is probably my favorite soundtrack producer, period. She has this distinctive sound about her. And it's crazy... ...she has always fucking had it! I have a couple decades of her stuff and it's all distinctly hers... ...and yet it's really diverse and out there. The gits stuff is up there for me, but I think my favorite she's done is the soundtrack to Wolf's Rain. So many absolutely gorgeous passages on those. I don't even like the show that much, but that soundtrack is incredible.

The live-action... ...I never really engaged with. I made a first impression and it matched other people's final impressions of it. So I said "nah."

Incidentally I watched a little bit of Arise the other day... ...maybe just because it's the only part of the franchise I haven't run into the ground. It's really good, especially compared to other stuff coming out at the time, but something about it doesn't hit the same spot for me. I really like the new character designs, the world, the feel, etc. But it all just seems pretty "vanilla" to me. Like, if there was no hype and ghost in the shell wasn't already a huge thing, I think it'd leave a much stronger impression on me. As a standalone thing it's good. As a ghost in the shell installment it's just kind of weak and lacking a bit in that hallmark character. *Really* hard to place.

Yeah the first season is almost a bit of an procedural/episodic crime drama.. outside of the Laughing Man stuff. And almost all of 2 is Kuze related.. with more depressing dystopia in the background. You realize it's not a fun future to live in...or I do at least.

Still sad that Origa passed away.

edit: I liked Arise, but the format of shows like that aren't my thing. Not exactly a feature or a series.

Last edited:
System Name Unreal Machine IV
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard Asrock 570X Taichi
Cooling Noctua U9S
Memory Team UD4-4000 @4000 CL18 1:1
Video Card(s) 5600XT Red Devil
Storage Kingston SSD 240GB + WD RED 4TB + WD Blue SN 550 Nvme 1TB X3
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Case Old school Termalthake xaser III black with lots of noctua 80mm fans
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion + Creative Inspire t7900 7.1 + Sony MDR-1A + AKG K-240
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech G502 hero SE
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi ~15k 4.4Ghz all core Cinebench R23 single 1.5k 4.65Ghz
You guys watched appleseed?
It's not as good but it's another of Masamune Shirow's works...

I would also recommend Mardock Scramble, it captures some of the feel that we get from gits...

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
I saw Appleseed a long time ago.. might give it a view again. Intentionally have stayed away from the 3D one though.. I just don't like most of that stuff (even though I'm a gamer, I much prefer traditional/cell shaded designs). Never seen Mardock Scramble. Never even heard of it.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Cooling Noctua U9S
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion + Creative Inspire t7900 7.1 + Sony MDR-1A + AKG K-240
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi ~15k 4.4Ghz all core Cinebench R23 single 1.5k 4.65Ghz
I saw Appleseed a long time ago.. might give it a view again. Intentionally have stayed away from the 3D one though.. I just don't like most of that stuff (even though I'm a gamer, I much prefer traditional/cell shaded designs). Never seen Mardock Scramble. Never even heard of it.

Give it a try, if you have the time, pretty good cyberpunk, complex story, great visuals, awesome cast...

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Give it a try, if you have the time, pretty good cyberpunk, complex story, great visuals, awesome cast...

Cool.. I'll keep it in mind. Speaking of Kanno, after watching that vid I mentioned, I saw that she did Darker than Black.. so I'll give that a try now. Then watch some of these others.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Cooling Noctua U9S
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
Cool.. I'll keep it in mind. Speaking of Kanno, after watching that vid I mentioned, I saw that she did Darker than Black.. so I'll give that a try now. Then watch some of these others.

The first season is something else, for dtb, the second, while also good, is a little different...

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
The first season is something else, for dtb, the second, while also good, is a little different...

It never actually appealed to me, because at first glance, it looked like "Urban Bleach" or something.. but if she's involved, I'll give it a chance. That said, not everything she (or even Watanabe) does is necessarily a like from me. I didn't like Terror in Resonance... couldn't even finish it.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Darker than Black is pretty good. I didn't have the problems with S2 that a lot of people seemed to have. It's definitely different. Not suuper memorable stuff, but all around solid.

Terror in Resonance, I wanted to like. It had SO much potential. I wanted to like it so bad. But to me it was just another one of those pseudo deep shows. All of these analogies and piles of symbols symbolizing symbolism, all to tell a very simple story with simple characters. In the beginning I thought it was gonna be great. And then as it went along it got dumb. The payoff sucked imho.

The soundtrack is great, though. It's funny. A good half of the shows she's worked on, I think kinda suck. But I still listen to the soundtracks.

Is it just me, or does it seem like every time a renowned writer is announced on a big project with a big studio and people pick up the hype, the story sucks? Why is that. When nobody cares is when it's actually good. Anybody remember Psycho Pass S2 and the Urobutcher fiasco?

Psycho Pass deserves a mention here, though. Anime minority report. I could go for more like that.

Another "lesser" one I really like is Ergo Proxy, though I may be the minority there. I loved the world they built. A lot more to it than there seems like there is.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Darker than Black is pretty good. I didn't have the problems with S2 that a lot of people seemed to have. It's definitely different. Not suuper memorable stuff, but all around solid.

Terror in Resonance, I wanted to like. It had SO much potential. I wanted to like it so bad. But to me it was just another one of those pseudo deep shows. All of these analogies and piles of symbols symbolizing symbolism, all to tell a very simple story with simple characters. In the beginning I thought it was gonna be great. And then as it went along it got dumb. The payoff sucked imho.

The soundtrack is great, though. It's funny. A good half of the shows she's worked on, I think kinda suck. But I still listen to the soundtracks.

Is it just me, or does it seem like every time a renowned writer is announced on a project and people pick up the hype, the story sucks? Why is that. When nobody cares is when it's actually good. Anybody remember Psycho Pass S2 and the Urobutcher fiasco?

Psycho Pass deserves a mention here, though. Anime minority report. I could go for more like that.

Another "lesser" one I really like is Ergo Proxy, though I may be the minority there. I loved the world they built. A lot more to it than there seems like there is.

Terror got dumb to me the minute their "rival".. the girl with free rein over police.. came into the series. It was worse than Death Note (which itself was actually pretty good until L died).

edit: When it started, I thought it'd just be a rivalry with that lazy detective.. which would have been cool. But then, the series turn them into the heroes instead and introduced the cheesy girl.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Software Windows 10 Pro
Terror got dumb to me the minute their "rival".. the girl with free rein over police.. came into the series. It was worse than Death Note (which itself was actually pretty good until L died).
Yep. Cheap as shit.

Death Note... ...yeah I pretty much consider it over when L dies. That's as far as I watch. Good enough for me lol. The N arc is just pointless.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
It kind of makes me sad though, because I like Watanabe a lot.. and this seemed to be a labor of love to him. No one forced him to do it.. he came up with the series on his own. I halfway want to think I'm missing something... but then, there's way too much anime to give it another chance.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Cooling Noctua U9S
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro

Is it just me, or does it seem like every time a renowned writer is announced on a big project with a big studio and people pick up the hype, the story sucks? Why is that. When nobody cares is when it's actually good. Anybody remember Psycho Pass S2 and the Urobutcher fiasco?

Psycho Pass was pretty good, good cyberpunk stuff...

And ofc ergo proxy was really interesting, boring at times yes, but really good if you learn to enjoy it...

Well while on the subject, Eve no jikan was masterpiece for me.
Sakasama no patema with really great world bulding too.
And Texhnolize already an oldie, serial experimental LAIN also a mindfucking classic...

I better stop here...

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
Psycho Pass was pretty good, good cyberpunk stuff...

And ofc ergo proxy was really interesting, boring at times yes, but really good if you learn to enjoy it...

Well while on the subject, Eve no jikan was masterpiece for me.
Sakasama no patema with really great world bulding too.
And Texhnolize already an oldie, serial experimental LAIN also a mindfucking classic...

I better stop here...
Ergo Proxy has some pacing issues. At times it feels like it diverges a little too much, but after a while you realize that everything that happens - even the stuff that seems boring - has a reason to be included. It's all part of the journey and the show's world. I think once you realize that, you appreciate it a lot more. I do anyway. I love worldbuilding. People always call it pretentious, like it wants to be deep. I don't think that's true. In fact I'd say it's actually very direct. But if you're misled by some of the vagueness, you might think it's pseudo-deep and dismiss keystone stuff as being symbolic nonsense when really it's not even symbolic. It's actually telling you a clear-cut story.

I actually really like all of the ventures outside of the dome. Interesting takeaways through out. And things quickly get abstract and weird and out there. Easy way to get to my heart. :p

Psycho Pass was a breath of fresh air when it came out. Really stood out a lot. I think that was most people's "best of season." And for good reason. Just an all-around well executed story with compelling characters, intelligent themes and a really great look/feel. S1 had it all, man. It's SO rare to see a good sci-fi pop up now. I was getting ready to drop anime at the time, but that show kept me going.

Eve No Jikan! Yes! Now we're getting a little obscure. I totally forgot about that. Not because it wasn't good, though! I was just watching so much back then that it all runs together. Really nice, sort of slice of life meets sci-fi. And I'm not talking cheesy, pandering slice of life. I mean slice of actual life. It was interesting to see how it explored the implications of human interaction with advanced AI's... ...and how those AI's integrate into a world of living, breathing human beings. Very thoughtful and contemplative. One of those things where it sort of lulls you into a calm, but also turns your brain on. Really enjoyed it.

Don't know why, but thinking of that one makes me think of Planetes.

Patema Inverted wasn't too bad. I was a little underwhelmed but I recall not being in the right frame of mind to appreciate it. I should really re-watch it. I was excited when it was first announced. Couldn't wait for it to come out. Don't remember much about it tbh :/

Texhnolize is obligatory sci-fi watching. Nuff said.

And YES. Lain. That's probably one of my favorites ever. That show is the definition of atmosphere. And I swear to you, I've seen it dozens of times and still can't settle on how to interpret it. Every time I go along, I feel like I FINALLY get it... ...like the picture I have is so complete. And then the next time I watch I realize I'm off and NOW I get it. Of course there are certain aspects that are just static and objective, but that stuff takes a while to pick up on. The whole thing is one big ketamine trip and I love it. So dissociative. If I did top # lists, it'd be on all of them.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Cyber City.. Not the most engaging, but it has great style. Visually exactly what I was looking for.

So I looked up who did it.. lo and behold the creator of Vampire Hunter D and Ninja Scroll... it reminded me of exactly that.. just sci-fi.

Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI MEG UNIFY
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 360mm
Memory 4x8GB 3600c16 Ballistix
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage 1TB SX8200 Pro, 2TB SanDisk Ultra 3D, 6TB WD Red Pro
Display(s) Acer XV272U
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky One 2
Goodness, I have no idea whats up in AoT right now.

Also, wow was the contrast between the intro and the theme really something.

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Macross: Do you remember love?

I'm ashamed to say I've never actually seen this (seen some Robotech over the years). It's good! Definitely better than Evangelion. Why does that get the most mecha related attention? Do you people like bleak shit or what? And if I want to watch humans battling it out like Gundam, I've already mentioned LoGH.

Speaking of bleak, did anyone mention the Netflix adaption of Devilman already? Because that's extremely depressing too. More than Evangelion.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Is Youjo Senki worth a watch? I have only seen 4 animes that I really like so far, Death Note, ReZero, HunterxHunter, Code Geass.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Is Youjo Senki worth a watch? I have only seen 4 animes that I really like so far, Death Note, ReZero, HunterxHunter, Code Geass.
It's good, not great. You need to know about WW2 and be an atheist to enjoy it, I enjoyed it.
Try Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood for something of similar calibre to those 4, or try something like A Silent Voice, Anohana or Clannad for a change of pace.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Cooling Noctua U9S
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro

It is pretty interesting, compared to the manga, the art is kinda shit, but its pretty crazy...

System Name Ciel
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
It is pretty interesting, compared to the manga, the art is kinda shit, but its pretty crazy...
That was on purpose, to make Tanya less waifu~ish.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
It's good, not great. You need to know about WW2 and be an atheist to enjoy it, I enjoyed it.
Try Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood for something of similar calibre to those 4, or try something like A Silent Voice, Anohana or Clannad for a change of pace.

lol.. kind of a limited demographic.

System Name Ciel
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
lol.. kind of a limited demographic.
I find it better than the usual moe+theme trash (kancole, girls und panzer, strike witches, etc.). Plus it seems a loli Hitler grabs some viewers.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Cooling Noctua U9S
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
This is what you can expect from Youjo senki...

Attachments

• 0012-005.jpg
    0012-005.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 0029-001.png.jpg
    0029-001.png.jpg
    705.8 KB · Views: 197
System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
finally caught up and watched latest AoT, my comment is now... ".....DO SOMETHING"

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Why is there so much magical girl anime, but not magical women? Anyone know of one?

Since we were talking about music earlier, I should point out that a great majority of my favorite musicians are also magical women :p (Siouxsie, Kate Bush, Stevie Nicks, etc).