• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anime Nation

Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI MEG UNIFY
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 360mm
Memory 4x8GB 3600c16 Ballistix
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage 1TB SX8200 Pro, 2TB SanDisk Ultra 3D, 6TB WD Red Pro
Display(s) Acer XV272U
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky One 2
This new season of JJK is still going good. They're back from that hiatus now.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
There's a lot of good Isekais.
Given that genre is objectively absolute and utter rubbish, no, there aren't. The only good isekais are the ones that do things differently (Ascendance of a Bookworm), acknowledge the rubbish and lean fully into it (Overlord, Eminence in Shadow), or subvert everything (Konosuba). And even the last one is fast becoming another harem POS.

Is it really considered a forerunner? It's relatively new, I don't think it's older than e.g. Overlord.

Hmmmm. Jobless Reincarnation web-novel is 2012.

Overlord web-novel is 2010. So you're right, Overlord is earlier.

Given that genre is objectively absolute and utter rubbish, no, there aren't. The only good isekais are the ones that do things differently (Ascendance of a Bookworm), acknowledge the rubbish and lean fully into it (Overlord, Eminence in Shadow), or subvert everything (Konosuba). And even the last one is fast becoming another harem POS.

And Faraway Paladin. For leaning into it, but seriously.

Being chosen by the goddess of reincarnation before birth in the new world is... ya know, a good reason to be a Paladin / Holy Warrior and is kind of an epic start to the tale. And an Isekai hero, following the tropes, would naturally be connected to the reincarnation gods.

There's a lot of ways to tell this story. Seriously, subverting it, lampshading it, or even just taking it head on and doing a straightforward epic.

Setting up the goddess of reincarnation vs the god of undeath / undead (Zombies / Ghosts / Ghouls), and building out the pantheon of gods to match Isekai Tropes + Fantasy tropes simultaneously is just good writing.

Now yes... there's a lot of Isekai trash. But some series have stood out among others, even above-and-beyond many anime in general. For a genre that has this many stories (at least 1, maybe 2 or 3, per season), you'll get a lot of crap. But you'll also get a few rare good ones every couple of years.

The main reason why Mushoku is one of the best isekai is that the isekai event is not only here to set a character in a fantasy world but to make him grow as a person. There's not a lot of isekai where you see mc older self after the first half of the first season.

Faraway Paladin's growing up arc is quite epic. I really suggest you give it a try.

1694177586127.png

Mary, Blood, and Gus are among the top "Anime Parents" of all time.

Last edited:
The main reason why Mushoku is one of the best isekai is that the isekai event is not only here to set a character in a fantasy world but to make him grow as a person. There's not a lot of isekai where you see mc older self after the first half of the first season.

I've begun watching that. I'm only 5 episodes in but... Holy crap, these characters are probably the horniest I've seen in a in a long time. Literally the whole cast needs to go to horny jail.

I think most anime with this level of horniness are joke / comedy anime where its pretty easy to laugh it all off. But Mushoku Tensei / Jobless Reincarnation goes the route of seriousness and instead dramatizes these decisions. This show is probably hornier than even Konosuba.

horny-jail-bonk.gif

------------

That being said: there's something about taking typically comedic tropes but trying to play them out in a fantasy setting and seriously. IE: exploring the effects on the family life or the various girlfriends (**cough harem**) that Rudy is building up here.

The bulk of the show is about Rudy and his previous life as a jobless NEET (not-in-education, employment, training). Bullied and agoraphobic, he spent most of his "original Earth life" just playing video games alone in his room, until he was tossed out by his family and then killed by a truck while wandering on the street. Not the best life to say the least, but he's got some determination to make this next life of his better. He still struggles with similar issues before but now that he's a ~3-year-old-kid of the biggest knight in town... he's no longer the subject of bullying but instead given a home life where he can heal and improve upon himself.

You do get a lot of depth with Rudy's life as he grows up. Each arc seems to cover ~years of Rudy's life, so you have lots of time to figure out Rudy's thought process and personality. And while I joke that Rudy's building up a harem, there are literally years between the times when Rudy is interacting with these various female characters. So perhaps it makes more sense in context.

Still though: Rudy is definitely a horny main character, perhaps more so than even Kazuma (Konosuba). While Kazuma's panty-stealing antics are taken one way in the joke/comedy Konosuba series, Rudy is in a far more serious and dramatic anime. So literal panty-stealing shennanigans here just... feels different. I think anyone who is going into this probably should be forewarned that Rudy is a horny pervert, and you'll have to accept that if you want to enjoy the show, as its coming up multiple times even in just the first ~5 episodes... and unlike joke series where you can kinda-sorta ignore it... the story-beats are such that it relates to Rudy's home-life, and overall story arc.

If you want a less-horny main character: I already had a writeup earlier about Will from "Faraway Paladin" that I definitely enjoyed. Maybe Will / Faraway is too much of a "goodie-too-shoes" for many people though.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard AORUS B450 ELITE
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S Chromax Black
Memory DDR4 Ballistix Sport LT 2x8GB 3000MHZ CAS15 / DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz CAS 15
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750XT Reference Design
Storage 2.5 TB 2.5" SSD / 3 TB HDD
Display(s) ASUS 27" 165HZ VG27WQ / Vertical 16/10 iiyama 25" 75Hz ProLite XUB2595WSU-B1
Case be quiet! Dark Base 700 RGB
Audio Device(s) PSB Alpha P3 / LOXJIE A30 Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GA
Mouse Cooler master MM720
Keyboard Roccat horde
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10
Still though: Rudy is definitely a horny main character, perhaps more so than even Kazuma (Konosuba). While Kazuma's panty-stealing antics are taken one way in the joke/comedy Konosuba series, Rudy is in a far more serious and dramatic anime. So literal panty-stealing shennanigans here just... feels different. I think anyone who is going into this probably should be forewarned that Rudy is a horny pervert, and you'll have to accept that if you want to enjoy the show, as its coming up multiple times even in just the first ~5 episodes... and unlike joke series where you can kinda-sorta ignore it... the story-beats are such that it relates to Rudy's home-life, and overall story arc.
Yes, the first season can be disturbing for people not used to heavy horniness in anime, but it's here to show how much rudy is deep down sexualy. The more you watch, the less rudy's horniness are present, still here but a lot more reasonably, a part of the show is about his slowly healing.

Yes, the first season can be disturbing for people not used to heavy horniness in anime, but it's here to show how much rudy is deep down sexualy. The more you watch, the less rudy's horniness are present, still here but a lot more reasonably, a part of the show is about his slowly healing.

So what's so weird about Jobless Reincarnation, is that the 34 year old pre-Isekai is basically emotionally and mentally a 3-year-old child. So now that the show is focusing on the 3-year-old version, they match up (3-year-old antics / emotions + 3-year-old body). Perhaps it makes sense in this context alone.

But... there's other context because I've seen other series. What happens in so many later reincarnation stories (I'm a Spider, so what? Reincarnated as a Slime. Oshi no Ko, Faraway Paladin, Knights and Magic, Even "Erased" to an extent)... is that the physically they're a 3-year-old child, but mentally and emotionally they're 30+ years old and are making excellent decisions for a child. Which... is kind of more fun? When the world is treating the main character as a child but they're able to just conduct / maneuver themselves like an adult and get ahead in life because of it?

I think I prefer how these later shows handle that. Though Jobless Reincarnation is the progenitor series, the "first one" of this reincarnation + video game mechanics style. And really, the video game mechanics are more about the mental deficiency of the pre-Isekai lifestyle because he didn't go out very much.

----------------

Rudy here will enter into a childish spat with Eris during a life-or-death kidnapping scenario, for example. Because Rudy is mentally and emotionally a child. The other characters (Lets say... Eru from Knights and Magic), wouldn't take the bait and actually act far more mature for their age in a similar situation and thus gain the widespread respect of other characters.

I don't know if I've seen enough of Jobless reincarnation to call this "good' or "bad". But I think I've seen enough anime to say that I prefer the more modern style (Adult-mind inside of a physical child acting like an adult), rather than the Jobless Reincarnation older style (Adult-mind inside of a physical child acting like a child). This does make me appreciate "Reincarnated as a Sword" more, ironically, for managing to find a new alternative. (Adult-mind with a telepathic link to a physical child, while the child continues to act her age. The Sword / Shishou is just the sword, he provides advice and physical might, but Fran is the one in charge of the story as the wielder of the sword).

Preference isn't about good vs bad, and is more about just my personal instincts / feelings with regards to the story.

Last edited:
System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
I have no problem with adult anime characters being depicted as sexually aware beings; I think that a lot of good anime would be enhanced by showing affirmative sexual relationships between the main characters.

I have a massive problem when the main character is nothing more than a detestable pervert looking to build a harem, because that just makes any sexual bits come across as cheap fanservice, and makes it quite clear exactly what kind of audience that anime is aimed at.

I have no problem with adult anime characters being depicted as sexually aware beings; I think that a lot of good anime would be enhanced by showing affirmative sexual relationships between the main characters.

I have a massive problem when the main character is nothing more than a detestable pervert looking to build a harem, because that just makes any sexual bits come across as cheap fanservice, and makes it quite clear exactly what kind of audience that anime is aimed at.

If it were just Rudy it'd be one thing. But every female character introduced so far falls into two categories:

1. Obvious harem-plot for Rudy (main character). Basically the kids that Rudy is growing up with that I'm sure will be revisited as the plot goes on.

2. Literally sleeps with Paul (Rudy's father), leading to rather dramatic home-life situations between Rudy's mom (Zenith) and dad (Paul).

There's two parallel harem plots going on here, one for the Father and one for the son. So yeah, this is a bit beyond normal even by harem anime standards.

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
If it were just Rudy it'd be one thing. But every female character introduced so far falls into two categories:

1. Obvious harem-plot for Rudy (main character). Basically the kids that Rudy is growing up with that I'm sure will be revisited as the plot goes on.

2. Literally sleeps with Paul (Rudy's father), leading to rather dramatic home-life situations between Rudy's mom (Zenith) and dad (Paul).

There's two parallel harem plots going on here, one for the Father and one for the son. So yeah, this is a bit beyond normal even by harem anime standards.
I assume the writer thought "how can I make my boring derivative male harem power fantasy worse?" and concluded "MORE HAREM". Because when you're in the gutter, another mouthful of shit is par for the course.

I assume the writer thought "how can I make my boring derivative male harem power fantasy worse?" and concluded "MORE HAREM". Because when you're in the gutter, another mouthful of shit is par for the course.

Strangely enough, it's a bunch of women in my social group who are pushing me to watch this.

I think you are underestimating the somewhat trashy drama that some women really enjoy, lol.

There is a lot of overlap between 'harem' and 'love triangle's after all.... At least, that's my assumption.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard AORUS B450 ELITE
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S Chromax Black
Memory DDR4 Ballistix Sport LT 2x8GB 3000MHZ CAS15 / DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz CAS 15
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750XT Reference Design
Storage 2.5 TB 2.5" SSD / 3 TB HDD
Display(s) ASUS 27" 165HZ VG27WQ / Vertical 16/10 iiyama 25" 75Hz ProLite XUB2595WSU-B1
Case be quiet! Dark Base 700 RGB
Audio Device(s) PSB Alpha P3 / LOXJIE A30 Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GA
Mouse Cooler master MM720
Keyboard Roccat horde
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10
Strangely enough, it's a bunch of women in my social group who are pushing me to watch this.

I think you are underestimating the somewhat trashy drama that some women really enjoy, lol.

There is a lot of overlap between 'harem' and 'love triangle's after all.... At least, that's my assumption.
Yeah, there's a lot of years between event, since he start in this world from the beginning, it's not like in a lot of other isekai where everything take place in less than 2 years.

Jobless Reincarnation's 2nd season (episode 13+) is extremely strong, one of the strongest sets of episodes I've seen in a while.

I'm very split on this anime. The high sexual content (especially the deviancy of the main character) is going to make this a very tough watch for many people. Rudy crosses lines well beyond "appropriate". But once you reach ~episode 13 or so, it feels like the story's main plot finally begins and the grand adventure plays out in a very well written way. I just don't think that the typical person will make it that far given how much of a degenerate the main character is for the first 12 episodes.

----------

For those "deeper" into anime and who have seen a large number of Isekais, I can confirm that this is absolutely "the progenitor". There are so many powers, jokes, and plotpoints that have been stolen (and rewritten) from Jobless Reincarnation into other shows. Its absolutely nuts how many shows I can think of that have taken elements of Jobless Reincarnation's setting. I think if you're "really" into anime, its worth a watch if you're willing to put up with Rudy (the main character).

The pacing of the arcs is good. Knowing that each arc covers ~2 years of Rudy's life consistently gives this a slow-and-steady pace that few other shows can match. While other shows have long-time periods, Jobless Reincarnation really digs in deep into Rudy as a 3-year old, 5-year-old, 8-year old, 10-year-old, 11-year-old and ... (well, that's how far I got so far). Its very impressive for a story to be written to cover each part of this guy's life in such detail.

Now that I've seen this much of the show, I'm pretty sure that they're trying to compare/contrast how Rudy grows up as a person. Even Rudy's dad (Paul) is only like 22 at the start of the show, and now that Paul is 30 you're seeing a great many changes to his character. Its not just Rudy who is growing up here, but the whole cast. From this perspective, the womanizing asshole early episodes for both Rudy (and Paul) are more of a starting point for both characters. Its still a tough watch though and I don't blame anyone if they want to give it up because of what happens in season 1.

Yeah, there's a lot of years between event, since he start in this world from the beginning, it's not like in a lot of other isekai where everything take place in less than 2 years.

I do think that most reincarnation shows cover a lot of time. What's different here is the amount of depth Jobless Reincarnation gives to each timeskip. 4 or 5 episodes per ~2 year time skip is impressive.

Will from Faraway Paladin has basically baby to ~15ish in about 5 episodes. And its a spectacular journey and smooth.

Kumoko from "So now I'm a Spider, So What?" has... actually I like her story and its spoilers to talk about the timeline, lol. But the first season covers ~15 years by my estimate.

Last edited:
System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
Not sure if there are any Saint seiya fans here but..
Watched from episode 35 to now 67 of Saint Seiya Omega, I have to say the "shonen" power scaling in this makes no sense in the Pallasite arc.
There are P3(bronze),P2(silver) and the 4 heavenly kings which are P1(Gold), the 5 main protagonist all have unlocked the seventh sense..so they should be near gold saint power scaling but they are struggling against the P3s
The original 80s series made sense when the showed the Asgard&Poseidon arc since the warriors were practically "gold" saint equivalent and the 5 main protagonist were at "gold" saints level after the sanctuary arc despite being "bronze".

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
this is impressive and awesome

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
I haven't paid attention to the new season but was stoked to see continuing seasons of Shield Hero, Goblin Slayer, Sailhate no Paladin out. The issue as always watch as they release or wait for season completion to binge, argh.

The new anime Sousou no Frieren and S-musume have great potential too. Also the driving/racing anime MF Ghost and Overtake... It looks like this season is shaping up to be a great one. And obviously this is only a small number of the anime out this season. I have yet to check out the rest but will time willing.

System Name Ultraman
Case Alienware X16
Software Windows 11
Finished Saint Seiya Omega, overall a 6/10 watch.
Finished Gamera Rebirth as well which I quite enjoyed and kinda nice watching a 40min anime, reminds me of the short 12 episode OVAs from the 80-90s.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
After running into its blu-ray review I watched Urusei Yastura 3: Remember my love. It was a light watch with good comedy and art style (from the guy behind Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro). Original manga is from the guy gal behind Ranma 1/2 which I loved. I watched few episodes of 2022 remake of Urusei Yatsura and it was fine for what it was. I think I'll give the original series a try.

Last edited:
After running into its blu-ray review I watched Urusei Yastura 3: Remember my love. It was a light watch with good comedy and art style (from the guy behind Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro). Original manga is from the guy behind Ranma 1/2 which I loved. I watched few episodes of 2022 remake of Urusei Yatsura and it was fine for what it was. I think I'll give the original series a try.
FYI - "the guy behind Ranma 1/2" is Rumiko Takahashi, a woman.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
There are numerous highly successful female manga/light novel authors - another example is Asato Asato/Toru Asakura who created the incredible 86 -Eighty Six-.
The big set of female authors I followed was CLAMP, who did Cardcaptors, xxxHolic, Tsubassa Chronicles, Chobits.

Also designed the characters from Code Geass but I don't think they did much with the story.

System Name Ultraman
Case Alienware X16
Software Windows 11
Also the driving/racing anime MF Ghost
This gives me giggles since I own a GT86/FRS and it makes me happy driving one even more.
The opening song has a full version available:
Full ending song isn't out until November:

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
This gives me giggles since I own a GT86/FRS and it makes me happy driving one even more.
The opening song has a full version available:
Full ending song isn't out until November:
I got goosebumps when the anime referred to the Panda Trueno in the first episode.

Oh also have you seen Overtake? I found it really good too.

Last edited:
System Name Ultraman
Case Alienware X16
Software Windows 11
I got goosebumps when the anime referred to the Panda Trueno in the first episode.

Oh also have you seen Overtake? I found it really good too.
Yeah I had a big grin when the AE86 was on screen, I mean the concept behind MFG with the so called "rules" designed by Ryosuke is I guess after years have passed..people have forgotten about the concept of drifting lol.
I have not seen Overtake, i'll have a look.
I have noticed Captain Tsubasa reboot season 2 is out too which I hope official english subtitles become available soon.

System Name Ultima
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard MSI Mag B550M Mortar
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 rev4 w/ Ryzen offset mount
Memory G.SKill Ripjaws V 2x16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB Gen4, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB , 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD sata,
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG249Q3A 24" 1080p 165-180Hz VRR
Case DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200 Audio/Nvidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Rog Strix Impact 3 Wireless | Wacom Intuos CTH-480
Keyboard A4Tech B314 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
haven't watched any anime in a while and drawn in a while, Frieren seems interesting
1698246251429.png