• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

be quiet! Dark Rock Elite

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
The Dark Rock Elite, be quiet!'s newest premium air cooler, stands head and shoulders above its competition. With a blend of distinctive features, impressive aesthetics, and unparalleled performance, it effortlessly claims the performance crown in the realm of traditional CPU air coolers.

Show full review

System Name Merc v8
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Gaming X AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 with Arctic fans
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Flare X F5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X PLUS
Storage Solidigm P44 1TB, &2TB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 34GP950G-B
Case Caselabs Mercury S8
Audio Device(s) Some Schiit with Edifier S351DB
Power Supply Seasonic TX-750
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Epomaker TH80 SE (Silent Red switches)
Software W11Pro
Dayum, that performs really good. Dual 135mm ftw!

And they finally added the screws on the cooler.

D

Deleted member 237269

Editor’s Choice to this Aircooler :confused: This must be an honest mistake.
Front fan uses semi proprietary mounting setup + non traditional connector
168 mm height before fan adjustment limits case compatibility
It’s already a red alert.
And the noise profil is not good...
180W Intel.jpg

253W Intel.jpg

253W Intel-2.jpg

Will it cool a very high W Intel CPU. YES.
But there is better out there, the new Corsair A115 is doing a damn fine job and look good. They are both 105-115€ where i live.

Now let’s see on AMD
7600X AMD.jpg

7700X AMD.jpg

7950X AMD.jpg

And it’s a :nutkick:

You can send them back the sample ;)
A big thank you to be quiet! for supplying the review sample.

Been using one of these since launch. It's super quiet and does a really good job cooling my 14900KF. For normal use (gaming/productivity) the temps never really go very high. Gaming under full load has me at 80 degrees. Idle it sits around 45 degrees. I have mine in a BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 901 with 2 roof fans, 1 rear fan and 2 front fans and there's plenty of space for clearance. I managed to just fit my Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5 RAM underneath the front fan with it extended all the way. Those are the tallest RAM sticks i've ever seen so anything smaller will fit under the front fan even easier.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:
System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Thanks, I hate it.

Proprietary fans, a lot of plastic weight and cost bolted on that adds nothing to cooling, but adds to compatibility issues and a very high price. If I'm looking for a >$100 disposable cooler with coloured lights I'll get an AIO.

It sure looks like it outperforms cheaper coolers, partly because it's so big - but it's more than three times the price of a TR Peerless Assassin - something that's consistently reviewed well, is ridiculously capable and well-made even if you ignore the low price. BeQuiet! are clearly aiming for the understated looks here, but The PA120 is arguably more understated than this Dark Rock Elite.

1706831190534.png

I simply don't understand where the extra $80 is going for the Dark Rock Elite, other than pointless proprietary fans that don't need to be like that. Just stop, please! Make a shroud/cover if you must but why make a unique-to-this-cooler shroud-cover-clip-frame combo that requires it's own rails, too?!

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
My next cooler will probably be AIO, mostly because the bulkyness I think is annoying.

Also yep owned a propriety fan cooler before, and what happens when a fan stops working properly? you have a problem.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
Likely not a review I will earn a great deal of love for, but looking at the performance I got from it, I will stand by it. For air coolers, it crushed everything else in fact the review was essentially a week late because I went back and retested it multiple times because I thought something was weird. But after double checking all settings the results remains consistent between runs / mounts / etc.

While I still have misgivings over the proprietary fan marlarky. The fact is every be quiet cooler/fan I have here still works its one of the few reasons I went with an Editors Choice over a Highly recommended award. I have 17 be quiet coolers here. and a further 6-7 fans. Some are going on 11 years old. An old Dark Rock Pro 2 I reviewed still sits in an old Intel build for a buddy. Granted 8_+ years of use later it's still just fine.

That said, at the very least the pinout looks to be standard PWM so in theory it should be possible to swap / connect / adapt them easily enough. and looking at the towers themselves it should be easy enough to make it work with other fans. But still that's just excuses for bad situations should them appear.

Lets be real. Performance was exceptional Low noise operation was phenomenal as well. Hopefully be quiet! in a future revision or replacement will tweak the design to be more user friendly ie fan rail works with normal fans. Standard PWM connectors etc.

That said, if anyone does have one of these coolers and has issues with quality etc. Let me know. I would be interested to know what your experience is.

Processor Ryzen 5 7600X
Motherboard ASRock B650M PG Riptide
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory DDR5 6000Mhz CL28 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Palit GamingPro OC
Storage Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen.4 1TB
Looks like they traded the fan noise for performance. On Intel is really close to D15 and with same noise level probably will lose. On AMD there is significant difference of few degrees, I am curious if the free mounting shift kit that noctua is giving for all noctua owners (you cover ~$3-4 shipping) will be enough to make both equal in terms of performance

Last edited:
System Name Gungnir
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X @1.25v
Motherboard ASUS TUF B650M-PLUS WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assasin 120 SE Black
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 CL36 5600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6800XT Merc 319 @1.1v @2600MHz clock @2140MHz vram freq. (surprisingly stable)
Storage 1TB WD SN770 | 2TB WD Blue SATA III SSD
Display(s) 1440p 165Hz VA
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80Ohm
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Keychron V6
VR HMD The bane of my existence (Oculus Quest 2)
Paying that much for an air cooler is insane, but at the very least the performance backs up the price.

Hugis

Staff member
System Name Office / Gamer Mk IV
Processor i5 - 12500
Motherboard TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4
Cooling Themalright Peerless Assassin 120 RGB
Memory 32GB (2x16) Corsair CMK32GX4M2D3600C18 "micron B die"
Video Card(s) UHD770 / PNY 4060Ti (www.techpowerup.com/review/pny-geforce-rtx-4060-ti-verto)
Storage P41Plat - SN770 - 980Pro - BX500
Display(s) Philips 246E9Q 75Hz @ 1920 * 1080
Case Corsair Carbide 200R
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC897 (On Board)
Power Supply Cooler Master V750 Gold v2
Mouse Rii M01(3360Sensor)
Keyboard Logitech S530 - mac
Software Windows 11 Pro
Hey @crazyeyesreaper any chance we can get some Thermalright coolers in to your lab? PA120, PS120, FC140, FS140 ?

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Hey @crazyeyesreaper any chance we can get some Thermalright coolers in to your lab? PA120, PS120, FC140, FS140 ?
Yes, we need a review on the Thermalright Peerless Assassin because what that single coolr does at a price of $35 is render most of these other coolers obsolete. I'm sure if we compared the peerless assassin to the cooler in this review, it would be so close in performance that it makes the $115 price tag seem ridiculous, heck, you could get a peerless assassin at $35, two noctua fans at $30 each (tonreplace the stock fans which arent bad at all), and STILL be cheaper than this cooler.

D

Deleted member 237269

Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

What happen if a 35-45€ aircooler beat the 3× more expensive ones ?
With all these ”editor’s choice” awarded. It’s gonna make TPU look bad no ?
I don't see the website executives authorizing this. Lot of ads from these brands ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Likely not a review I will earn a great deal of love for, but looking at the performance I got from it, I will stand by it. For air coolers, it crushed everything else in fact the review was essentially a week late because I went back and retested it multiple times because I thought something was weird. But after double checking all settings the results remains consistent between runs / mounts / etc.
Nothing wrong with the review. Your results are what they are and any difference in performance to other sites just indicates that these coolers are susceptible to manufacturing variations or that the difference in testing methodology has a significant impact on this model.

Looking at the HardwareCanucks review, they also questioned their results in the opposite direction - they thought it was going to be a stellar performer and when it wasn't they went back and retested and checked for external variables, but it just sucked.

There's clearly some issue with these coolers - looking at a quick sample of google results for "Dark Rock Elite Review" there's a glaring lack of consistency.
  • TPU - Editor's choice, best air cooler to date, vastly outperforming the Noctua D15
  • Anandtech - Decent, but no better than a Noctua D15
  • THG - Decent, ties a Noctua D15 but only tested on Intel LGA1700. Marginally better than the $33 Peerless assassin but worse than the Frost Commander 140 and Assassin IV.
  • eTeknix - Good, but found zero difference between the Dark Rock Elite and Dark Rock 5, which is in stark contrast to most other reviews of both and an inconsistency of its own.
  • OC3D - Decent, but inferior at both fixed fan speed and max fan speed to both the AK620 and Assassin IV
  • Guru3D - Poor, barely creeping ahead of the single-tower 120mm AK500
  • Hardware Canucks - disaster, despite restesting and high expectations.
  • Hardware Busters - poor, matches an old Assassin III and way behind the Noctua D15.
I'm sure there are more reviews, but those are the ones I found first and skim-read. What's obvious is that performance is all over the place, which is fine if you're gambling at under $50, but this is the single most expensive air cooler ever released.

I've used a few BeQuiet! coolers, both air and AIO - and the the manufacturing quality seems decent - but the mounting system always used to be utter garbage and I remember early reviews of their first tower coolers were hurt by poor performance from uneven surface finish and concave base plates. It took BeQuiet a couple of revisions to iron out those base plate issues and now - a good 15 years later, their mounting hardware has only just caught up with the competition. I do wonder if they're struggling with either the mounting pressure still, or there's a heatpipe manufacturing issue - since there's no way the bad results in that review summary above should be achieved by a massive 7-heatpipe 140mm dual-tower.

D

Deleted member 237269

Nothing wrong with the review. Your results are what they are and any difference in performance to other sites just indicates that these coolers are susceptible to manufacturing variations or that the difference in testing methodology has a significant impact on this model.

Looking at the HardwareCanucks review, they also questioned their results in the opposite direction - they thought it was going to be a stellar performer and when it wasn't they went back and retested and checked for external variables, but it just sucked.

There's clearly some issue with these coolers - looking at a quick sample of google results for "Dark Rock Elite Review" there's a glaring lack of consistency.
  • TPU - Editor's choice, best air cooler to date, vastly outperforming the Noctua D15
  • Anandtech - Decent, but no better than a Noctua D15
  • THG - Decent, ties a Noctua D15 but only tested on Intel LGA1700. Marginally better than the $33 Peerless assassin but worse than the Frost Commander 140 and Assassin IV.
  • eTeknix - Good, but found zero difference between the Dark Rock Elite and Dark Rock 5, which is in stark contrast to most other reviews of both and an inconsistency of its own.
  • OC3D - Decent, but inferior at both fixed fan speed and max fan speed to both the AK620 and Assassin IV
  • Guru3D - Poor, barely creeping ahead of the single-tower 120mm AK500
  • Hardware Canucks - disaster, despite restesting and high expectations.
  • Hardware Busters - poor, matches an old Assassin III and way behind the Noctua D15.
I'm sure there are more reviews, but those are the ones I found first and skim-read. What's obvious is that performance is all over the place, which is fine if you're gambling at under $50, but this is the single most expensive air cooler ever released.

I've used a few BeQuiet! coolers, both air and AIO - and the the manufacturing quality seems decent - but the mounting system always used to be utter garbage and I remember early reviews of their first tower coolers were hurt by poor performance from uneven surface finish and concave base plates. It took BeQuiet a couple of revisions to iron out those base plate issues and now - a good 15 years later, their mounting hardware has only just caught up with the competition. I do wonder if they're struggling with either the mounting pressure still, or there's a heatpipe manufacturing issue - since there's no way the bad results in that review summary above should be achieved by a massive 7-heatpipe 140mm dual-tower.
Good summary and thanks for listing a few other reviews.
Yes the issue of offset + heatpipe design is glaring.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Good summary and thanks for listing a few other reviews.
It can't just be offset, since that would only affect AMD results and @crazyeyesreaper got great results on AM5 without offset - yet some of the middling results in that list of reviews are on Intel where offset shouldn't matter.

I would love to see the PA120 and FS140 added to TPU's set of cooler results.
The FS140 is insane value here at £26 including delivery AND 20% tax.
edit - fixed my broken link ^

Last edited:
System Name Gungnir
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6800XT Merc 319 @1.1v @2600MHz clock @2140MHz vram freq. (surprisingly stable)
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Keyboard Keychron V6
The FS140 is insane value here at £26 including delivery AND 20% tax.
If they were tested then so many coolers would have their awards put into question, both are such good value propositions that it makes it hard to consider any other air cooler.

System Name Gungnir
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Keyboard Keychron V6
System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Thanks, I hate it.

Proprietary fans, a lot of plastic weight and cost bolted on that adds nothing to cooling, but adds to compatibility issues and a very high price. If I'm looking for a >$100 disposable cooler with coloured lights I'll get an AIO.

It sure looks like it outperforms cheaper coolers, partly because it's so big - but it's more than three times the price of a TR Peerless Assassin - something that's consistently reviewed well, is ridiculously capable and well-made even if you ignore the low price. BeQuiet! are clearly aiming for the understated looks here, but The PA120 is arguably more understated than this Dark Rock Elite.

View attachment 332538

I simply don't understand where the extra $80 is going for the Dark Rock Elite, other than pointless proprietary fans that don't need to be like that. Just stop, please! Make a shroud/cover if you must but why make a unique-to-this-cooler shroud-cover-clip-frame combo that requires it's own rails, too?!
Yep, non-standard fans is a hard pass for me as well.

System Name ❶ Oooh (2024) ❷ Aaaah (2021) ❸ Ahemm (2017)
Processor ❶ 5800X3D ❷ i7-9700K ❸ i7-7700K
Motherboard ❶ X570-F ❷ Z390-E ❸ Z270-E
Cooling ❶ ALFIII 360 ❷ X62 + X72 (GPU mod) ❸ X62
Memory ❶ 32-3600/16 ❷ 32-3200/16 ❸ 16-3200/16
Video Card(s) ❶ 3080 X Trio ❷ 2080TI (AIOmod) ❸ 1080TI
Storage ❶ NVME/SSD/HDD ❷ <SAME ❸ SSD/HDD
Display(s) ❶ 1440/165/IPS ❷ 1440/144/IPS ❸ 1080/144/IPS
Case ❶ BQ Silent 601 ❷ Cors 465X ❸ Frac Mesh C
Audio Device(s) ❶ HyperX C2 ❷ HyperX C2 ❸ Logi G432
Power Supply ❶ HX1200 Plat ❷ RM750X ❸ EVGA 650W G2
Mouse ❶ Logi G Pro ❷ Razer Bas V3 ❸ Logi G502
Keyboard ❶ Logi G915 TKL ❷ Anne P2 ❸ Logi G610
Benchmark Scores I have wrestled bandwidths, Tussled with voltages, Handcuffed Overclocks, Thrown Gigahertz in Jail
Thanks for the review.

Performance looks good, i can see some people may fancy this type of aesthetic but personally i prefer the sharp edged industrial looking types... i'm still hoping one day we'll see an all black dual tower+fan Scythe Mugen 5 with heatsink ends for fat studs eg. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41k+B5K0wUL.jpg

Too pricey for my liking.

Me too! The 7-heatpipe Phantom spirit deserves a mention too incl the newer EVO variant with premium/faster fans. Available @ $35-$45

System Name THU
Processor Intel Core i5-13600KF
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P D4
Cooling SilentiumPC Fortis 3 v2 + Arctic Cooling MX-2
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x16 GB DDR4-3600 CL16 (dual rank)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4070 Ventus 3X OC 12 GB GDDR6X (2610/21000 @ 0.91 V)
Storage Lexar NM790 2 TB + Corsair MP510 960 GB + PNY XLR8 CS3030 500 GB + Toshiba E300 3 TB
Display(s) LG OLED C8 55" + ASUS VP229Q
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V381 + Monitor Audio Bronze 6 + Bronze FX | FiiO E10K-TC + Sony MDR-7506
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Logitech M705 Marathon
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 10 Home
Benchmark Scores Benchmarks in 2024?
A pity the Peerless Assassin is not included in the line-up.

I never really got the point of these insanely expensive air coolers. I'd rather buy an AIO if I wanted to spend that much. But I guess there are cases where an AIO won't fit.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix

Yes, we need a review on the Thermalright Peerless Assassin because what that single coolr does at a price of $35 is render most of these other coolers obsolete. I'm sure if we compared the peerless assassin to the cooler in this review, it would be so close in performance that it makes the $115 price tag seem ridiculous, heck, you could get a peerless assassin at $35, two noctua fans at $30 each (tonreplace the stock fans which arent bad at all), and STILL be cheaper than this cooler.

If they were tested then so many coolers would have their awards put into question, both are such good value propositions that it makes it hard to consider any other air cooler.
I have reached out to Thermalright in the past but never had any real luck getting samples in at those particular times. That said, I am looking to get Thermalright products in but am swamped with reviews now that the tradeshow is over and everyone wants products reviewed that were shown off. I want to get one in for review but I am basically drowning in samples as is.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
What happen if a 35-45€ aircooler beat the 3× more expensive ones ?
With all these ”editor’s choice” awarded. It’s gonna make TPU look bad no ?
I don't see the website executives authorizing this. Lot of ads from these brands ;)
Not only Editor's Choice but also Great Value in such a case. There is no authorization required to give awards, or for reviews in general. In some rare cases reviewers ask me "what do you think?" just to get a fresh pair of eyes on some product, but that's about it

Hugis

Staff member
System Name Office / Gamer Mk IV
Processor i5 - 12500
Motherboard TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4
Cooling Themalright Peerless Assassin 120 RGB
Memory 32GB (2x16) Corsair CMK32GX4M2D3600C18 "micron B die"
Video Card(s) UHD770 / PNY 4060Ti (www.techpowerup.com/review/pny-geforce-rtx-4060-ti-verto)
Storage P41Plat - SN770 - 980Pro - BX500
Display(s) Philips 246E9Q 75Hz @ 1920 * 1080
Case Corsair Carbide 200R
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC897 (On Board)
Power Supply Cooler Master V750 Gold v2
Mouse Rii M01(3360Sensor)
Keyboard Logitech S530 - mac
Software Windows 11 Pro
I have reached out to Thermalright in the past but never had any real luck getting samples in at those particular times. That said, I am looking to get Thermalright products in but am swamped with reviews now that the tradeshow is over and everyone wants products reviewed that were shown off. I want to get one in for review but I am basically drowning in samples as is.
Cheers for letting us know, would be great if we can secure some samples to test against these "in my opinion" expensive alternatives from the likes of noctua and be quiet.
Wish i could give you hand knowing youve got a full diary of testing ahead , any way keep up your great work!

EDIT:
Maybe one of us here could reach out to Thermalright again and secure some samples when you have time of course?