• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

be quiet! Dark Rock Elite

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
So you can imagine my paranoia when I don’t see Thermalright reviews on TPU :)

Because let’s be honest, it's quicker to say that you don't have the time (>>for several years<<) to buy a $35 product than to have problems with several companies that put ads on the site because their aircooler costs 2 or 3 more perform worse.
Innocent until proven guilty, people. TPU as a site and all its contributors have never, in the entire long history of it existing, had given any reason for one to doubt their integrity. The idea that W1zz would sacrifice two decades of good faith just for some ad revenue from the likes of beQuiet! is incredibly silly.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
@Phil_Frenchy
Requests are all fine and good. I did request such reviews too. That’s not what the point is. The reviewer can review what gets sent to him as a rule. If Thermalright over the years hasn’t sent a sample… well, they haven’t sent a sample, that’s it. I am sure that the site could purchase one, sure, that’s done sometimes, if there is a certainty that the content will generate enough engagement to be worth it and that taking time to review a piece of hardware will be compensated by said engagement with regards to time not taken to review things that were already sent by other companies. Good will also plays a part here, generally companies expect a review to come out in a reasonable time frame when they send one of their products in. It’s a balancing act. Not a conspiracy to hide a potentially well performing piece of kit to make others look better. That’s silly. If a well known good reviewer says he failed to get a sample, then I am inclined to take him at his word.

I am sure you could always write to @crazyeyesreaper directly, see if he would be willing to play ball if YOU source the product for him, potentially with your own money, and arrange a delivery to his doorstep. This is sometimes done. Otherwise, we can only expect to get what we get.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
My next cooler will probably be AIO, mostly because the bulkyness I think is annoying.
And a pump, radiator and two stiff tubes are no hassle? A big tower cooler is much easier to mount/dismount than an AIO.

Depending on what your needs will be by then, and whether you want to overclock or not. My go-to recommendation for non-OC is the often overlooked NH-U14S(~$80) which is performing a little lower than the newer NH-U12A(~$130), but is fairly compact and surprisingly capable. It should also be close to the performance of NH-D15S which you list in your specs. My biggest problem with AIOs is the lack of advantages for all the disadvantages, if you need extreme cooling then a custom loop is the way to go, otherwise a good air cooler is going to give the best cooling and noise levels, unless you have a very special case where only an AIO makes sense.

It is worth paying attention to what comes next from Noctua. We've been waiting two(or three?) years for their next generation "NH-D15" now, and currently it's scheduled for Q2, but who knows. But I'm curious to see if it will still be a dual tower, or if they basically make a larger version of the very impressive NH-U12A (and sell it in single and dual fan models). Those improvements with 7-8 heat pipes and their new fan will get very interesting.

One thing I do find interesting, is that Noctua's HEDT/server versions of their lineup, the NH-U14S with one or two fans, is their top product (not the NH-D15), and this is capable of cooling 450W HEDT CPUs, while the normal desktop version is capable of ~250+W. This sheds light on one important aspect of any kind of cooler; modern desktop CPUs have very concentrated heat, and the test results may actually vary depending on testing on a hot plate vs. actual real world CPUs. There is also the endless debate over open bench vs. case, especially since tower coolers generally does well in cases with a decent air flow. With respect to this review and others, many such variances in testing methodology makes may have significant affects on the results, and sometimes it's not necessarily wrong either. But regardless, I have no doubt that either this reviewed cooler or counterparts from Noctua are more than good enough for any real world usage (non-OC) for LGA1700 and AM5.
And there are probably other worthwhile alternatives too. (Not all alternatives are widely available in my region, so my perspective is incomplete.)

Paying that much for an air cooler is insane, but at the very least the performance backs up the price.
But it would have been OK if it was an AIO with less cooling performance? :)

I never really got the point of these insanely expensive air coolers. I'd rather buy an AIO if I wanted to spend that much. But I guess there are cases where an AIO won't fit.
But the good air coolers beats most AIOs up to 280mm at least, and usually is cheaper than the AIOs they beat.

There's clearly some issue with these coolers - looking at a quick sample of google results for "Dark Rock Elite Review" there's a glaring lack of consistency.
  • TPU - Editor's choice, best air cooler to date, vastly outperforming the Noctua D15
  • Anandtech - Decent, but no better than a Noctua D15
  • THG - Decent, ties a Noctua D15 but only tested on Intel LGA1700. Marginally better than the $33 Peerless assassin but worse than the Frost Commander 140 and Assassin IV.
  • eTeknix - Good, but found zero difference between the Dark Rock Elite and Dark Rock 5, which is in stark contrast to most other reviews of both and an inconsistency of its own.
  • OC3D - Decent, but inferior at both fixed fan speed and max fan speed to both the AK620 and Assassin IV
  • Guru3D - Poor, barely creeping ahead of the single-tower 120mm AK500
  • Hardware Canucks - disaster, despite restesting and high expectations.
  • Hardware Busters - poor, matches an old Assassin III and way behind the Noctua D15.
I'm sure there are more reviews, but those are the ones I found first and skim-read. What's obvious is that performance is all over the place, which is fine if you're gambling at under $50, but this is the single most expensive air cooler ever released.
It may very well be related to testing methodology.
Did you notice any correlation between testing and results? I just skimmed through a few of them and failed to get a good understanding of whether it was open bench or case, and how room tempature is regulated, humidity, etc, and whether other coolers were re-tested under the same environmental conditions or if they reused old results. (all of which may actually lead to a different conclusion)

Last edited:
System Name ❶ Oooh (2024) ❷ Aaaah (2021) ❸ Ahemm (2017)
Processor ❶ 5800X3D ❷ i7-9700K ❸ i7-7700K
Motherboard ❶ X570-F ❷ Z390-E ❸ Z270-E
Cooling ❶ ALFIII 360 ❷ X62 + X72 (GPU mod) ❸ X62
Memory ❶ 32-3600/16 ❷ 32-3200/16 ❸ 16-3200/16
Video Card(s) ❶ 3080 X Trio ❷ 2080TI (AIOmod) ❸ 1080TI
Storage ❶ NVME/SSD/HDD ❷ <SAME ❸ SSD/HDD
Display(s) ❶ 1440/165/IPS ❷ 1440/144/IPS ❸ 1080/144/IPS
Case ❶ BQ Silent 601 ❷ Cors 465X ❸ Frac Mesh C
Audio Device(s) ❶ HyperX C2 ❷ HyperX C2 ❸ Logi G432
Power Supply ❶ HX1200 Plat ❷ RM750X ❸ EVGA 650W G2
Mouse ❶ Logi G Pro ❷ Razer Bas V3 ❸ Logi G502
Keyboard ❶ Logi G915 TKL ❷ Anne P2 ❸ Logi G610
Benchmark Scores I have wrestled bandwidths, Tussled with voltages, Handcuffed Overclocks, Thrown Gigahertz in Jail
Editor’s Choice to this Aircooler :confused: This must be an honest mistake.

It’s already a red alert.
And the noise profil is not good...
View attachment 332512
View attachment 332513
View attachment 332514
Will it cool a very high W Intel CPU. YES.
But there is better out there, the new Corsair A115 is doing a damn fine job and look good. They are both 105-115€ where i live.

Now let’s see on AMD
View attachment 332516
View attachment 332517
View attachment 332518
And it’s a :nutkick:

You can send them back the sample ;)

I keep coming back to this. The Phantom Spirit is an absolute MONSTER for the $33 price. That's just insane value!

I wonder if it would beat everything and anything with some premium ~1800/2000rpm fans but obviously that will eliminate the "value" proposition

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
I keep coming back to this. The Phantom Spirit is an absolute MONSTER for the $33 price. That's just insane value!
That is quite impressive, that's high-end cooling performance.
But the problem is build quality though, like Hardware Canucks talked about in their review; pieces falling off, fans showing symptoms of wear after a while, and variation between samples (noise), all signs of a product where costs have been cut to the max. So it comes down to whether long-term reliability and quality matters to the end-user. If a PC is only used occasionally, I don't see the problem with using a such product. But if you're like me who runs computers 24-7, and is concerned about unpleasant sound profiles, then Noctua is a very safe choice. Those are likely to last 10, perhaps 15 years or more (which means multiple PCs for most people), and they also give free upgrades for new sockets. I would assume BeQuiet have comparable quality to Noctua, at least their fans on their top models have a very high rated lifetime.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
And a pump, radiator and two stiff tubes are no hassle? A big tower cooler is much easier to mount/dismount than an AIO.

I am probably unmounting a cooler once every 3-4 years.

But might be wanting to access the area around the CPU more often then that.

Benchmark Scores I have wrestled bandwidths, Tussled with voltages, Handcuffed Overclocks, Thrown Gigahertz in Jail
That is quite impressive, that's high-end cooling performance.
But the problem is build quality though, like Hardware Canucks talked about in their review; pieces falling off, fans showing symptoms of wear after a while, and variation between samples (noise), all signs of a product where costs have been cut to the max. So it comes down to whether long-term reliability and quality matters to the end-user. If a PC is only used occasionally, I don't see the problem with using a such product. But if you're like me who runs computers 24-7, and is concerned about unpleasant sound profiles, then Noctua is a very safe choice. Those are likely to last 10, perhaps 15 years or more (which means multiple PCs for most people), and they also give free upgrades for new sockets. I would assume BeQuiet have comparable quality to Noctua, at least their fans on their top models have a very high rated lifetime.

I have them all.... Noctuas D15 + 14s, DRP4, Cryorig R1, Scythe Mugens, etc... and to be frank not long ago i wouldn't have even considered anything below the ~£50 range. Its a different ball game today, TR's really showing the big boys up even if its lacking in some minor aesthetics quality-keep-ups eg. the odd plate falling off which is unusual since i've gone through a few PAs and one non-plated PS without any issues.

For £32 i wouldn't mind both plates falling off lol.

Yep, the real concern being the sub-par fans, i prefer the premium stuff for longevity + lower noise levels but at this price point any half decent working fan will do and i'd be more than happy to be open to upgrading fans if needed or preferred eventually. All of which is just a general take on the subject considering i've shifted up a gear to the AIO aesthetic appeal which costs way more.

DaveBSC

If TR is stingy with review samples, JUST BUY ONE. These are not RTX4090s. They cost as much as a sandwich. That way you could also avoid any "golden sample" shenanigans and review exactly what anyone else would get buying one.

It's a massive disservice to TPUs readers to keep reviewing $100+ coolers when there's a giant elephant in the room that costs 1/2 to 1/3 as much and most likely equals them, or is within a few degrees C.

But this $120 hammer! It's great!

Can't this $30 hammer drive in nails equally well?

Probably! But we don't have one of those. So buy this $120 one that we do have.

No?

They cost as much as a sandwich.

Not sure where you reside but here in the UK a sandwich can be had for £1.99 (lol Just Jokes..)