• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can someone help me find how plastic is made? From the source to the end product?

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

"Theories explaining the origin of petroleum as abiotic are generally not well accepted by the scientific community, and are rejected by most researchers and scientific theories on the subject."

Last edited:
System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Yes, it's called "Google".

"Theories explaining the origin of petroleum as abiotic are generally not well accepted by the scientific community, and are rejected by most researchers and scientific theories on the subject."
Interesting choice of quote. My response is as follows:

If oil is a "fossil fuel" how does it get so deep underground in the lower crust and lithosphere, a layer well below the crust? Most of the deposits are in the layers of the crust where life has never existed at any point during Earth's history. So how did it all get down there? Coal is easily explained, it's not very deep, but oil is magnitudes of distance deeper. It didn't seep it's way down there only to be put under immense pressures. No, the only plausible explanation is that oil is a product of the Earth itself. Oil and the natural gas deposits that are found together are not a result of a fossilization process.

EDIT:
For example, the Bertha Rodgers Oil well in Oklahoma is 30,000+ feet deep just to reach the top of the field. No life has ever existed at that layer of the crust. It's a BIG oil field. Oil deposits like that are fairly common. So unless someone can logically explain how fossilization got down to a layer where life has never and could never exist, we have to accept that oils and petroleum like materials are made by the Earth as a result of magma-carbon deposit reactions.

Yes, it's called "Google".
If it were something easy, I'd agree with you. To be fair, this is not an easy subject to Google. You have to be versed in the subject and know what to look for to find relevant information.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
So whoever makes these plastic making machines controls the world? jk lol but yes at least finally some pics... hmm interesting.

I'd still like to see the coal/oil processing part, like that really interests me its so hard to find pictures of it, I guess I just find it difficult imagining in my mindseye coal/oil becoming this little ziploc bag my sandwich sits in, lol its so weird to think about

I wonder if our grandkids will never know what a 12oz aluminum can is... we might live in a golden age of convenience and not even know it... lol

lookup fractional distillation of crude oil to see the general process of how they get the raw materials.
You seem to think this is a one factory operation to make plastics from oil when it’s really a collaborative effort by about 10 different locations.

US oil is drilled, pumped, transported by rail or truck since goddamn hippies don’t understand that pipelines are far better.

Refineries pump the crude through some basic separation then the acceptable parts go into a huge column where they are steam and pressure distilled into their fractional components, those are pumped back onto rail cars and sent to a plastics company.

The plastics company receives raw products from their suppliers, like the refinery, catalysts from other companies, and as stated before mix the refined petroleum base with additives in a catalyst chamber that then extrudes the plastic base product, they might mix in colors, UV stabilizers and then they too package and ship the product to a end use manufacturer.

Look at each step, and then also realize the huge role transporting everything has and the lack of it that would quickly stop the whole process

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Those granules you've seen may be from the raw manufacturing as well. Looks the same.
I grew up in a "bermuda triangle" of the soviet chemical manufacturing. Most plants in and near my hometown are defunct nowadays, though....

It's weird, but the only decently detailed thing I could find, is a very-very old educational video from USSR on polyethylene manufacturing. It's in russian, but you'll get the basics (similar for most plastics, and it hasn't changed that much except computers and precise control).

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.

If oil is a "fossil fuel" how does it get so deep underground in the lower crust and lithosphere, a layer well below the crust? Most of the deposits are in the layers of the crust where life has never existed at any point during Earth's history. So how did it all get down there? Coal is easily explained, it's not very deep, but oil is magnitudes of distance deeper. It didn't seep it's way down there only to be put under immense pressures. No, the only plausible explanation is that oil is a product of the Earth itself. Oil and the natural gas deposits that are found together are not a result of a fossilization process.

For example, the Bertha Roders Oil well in Oklahoma is 30,000 feet deep. No life has ever existed at that layer of the crust. It's a BIG oil field. Oil deposits are like that are fairly common. So unless someone can logically explain how fossilization got down to a layer where life has never and could never exist, we have to accept that oils and petroleum like materials are made by the Earth as a result of magma-carbon deposit reactions.

Don't forget our planet is now much cooler than it once was, far less violent with the crust that we know, and remember the ocean is very deep.

Most of our oil and natural gas is from far before coal deposits were made. The coal is tropical forests in the hills of Montana under 200 ft of soil and rock left by changes to the oceans and land as the earths rotation and land masses moved many times as just one example. The peat in northern europe would become coal eventually if we left it alone for a few thousand or hundred thousand years.

Our average earth crust heave per year is 7cm on the vertical and updates to the GPS math form most navigation has been updated since Australia can't sit still and is instead drifting https://theconversation.com/austral...-up-with-a-continent-in-constant-motion-71883

US oil is drilled, pumped, transported by rail or truck since goddamn hippies don’t understand that pipelines are far better.
Pipelines have serious problems of their own. Transporting by train and truck is actually the safer and more eco-friendly method.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Pipelines have serious problems of their own. Transporting by train and truck is actually the safer and more eco-friendly method.

Pipelines are safer as far as human life and CO2 emissions go once they are operational, and the mistakes can be engineered out of them, whereas you can't stop idiots from pulling in front of trains, bearings locking up in extreme cold, rails distorting from the same extreme temperatures. The amount of extra stress transporting oil by rail has put on other industries (ag grain shipments for example) and cost increases, the manufacturing of the rail cars has never been taken into account, none of the studies I have seen take into account eh heating of the rail cars to get them to flow.

A specific pipeline was shut down as some peole were scared of it like they are scared of nuclear but have no issue drinking themselves to death (I live near a few reservations, my wife grew up on one) and because the owner of a rail company paid the presidents party.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
If oil is a "fossil fuel" how does it get so deep underground in the lower crust and lithosphere, a layer well below the crust?
A metric buttton of time is the generally accepted means. The whole layer generally mineralized.

but have no issue drinking themselves to death
If you think native Americans aren't keenly aware of the havoc alcohol has caused their people due to a genetic tendency towards alcoholism, you are very mistaken.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

i know it will never happen here, but lets hypothetically say we were starting from a clean slate in a new country, no roads exist, nothing but one major port city - i would honestly try to build a single integrated hyperloop system for the entire country, and when that was done, upgrade the port city as well, no roads, no trains, etc:

plastic is actually a key reason why, as plastic encompasses all of the hyperloop, meaning maintenance from wind/erosion/rust... massive increase in longevity of the magnets and mechanical parts, etc.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
i know it will never happen here, but lets hypothetically say we were starting from a clean slate
The reason it's not gonna work is not because of "big oil" or existing infrastructure, or yet another global conspiracy. It's a simple matter of cost, efficiency, maintenance, and ease of operation.
This horse has been beaten to death a million times by transportation enthusiasts, experts and "experts". You can't have a public transportation inside a tube that has to be pressurized and de-pressurized on every stop. And you can't have public transportation that only works in express-mode(that's what we have planes for).
Sorry for sarcasm and OT, but only in America you guys think of new and revolutionary ways to improve public transportation, when your existing systems are barely used and at all-time low.
I spent some time stateside(many-many moons ago), and I remember 'till this day how I took my first bus ride... I was going to work and at the time I had no ride and my bicycle was broken. Walking takes about 40mins, but I figured - whattahell, let's try that yankee bus for a change. Looked up schedule on the internet. A bus goes nearby once an hour, the next one is in 20 min. Gotta take 2 transfers on the way with a huge detour on the final stage. According to website it should take around 50min, so just a tad over an hour to get from point A to point B. It was slower than walking, but I took a chance since I still had enough time and really didn't feel like walking...
So, 2 hours later I finally made it to work, because the first bus was 15 minutes late, and I missed both of my transfers. :banghead:
One of my co-workers used to take a bus to lightrail to another bus every day... Which was even worse... She used to get up at 5AM in order to make it to work by 8:30-ish.

So called Hyperloop is a novelty toy. It's only feasible as a small-scale publicity project, kinda like that AirTrain at JFK, only less useful.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
A metric buttton of time is the generally accepted means. The whole layer generally mineralized.

If you think native Americans aren't keenly aware of the havoc alcohol has caused their people due to a genetic tendency towards alcoholism, you are very mistaken.
I’m aware some of them are taking steps, but considering I employ 30 of them and am friends with many more…. A good many have problems that is rooted in their culture, the ones who don’t have the issues are treated poorly and called “white” as an insult.

I’m very aware of the alcohol and drug issues on the reservation.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I’m aware some of them are taking steps, but considering I employ 30 of them and am friends with many more…. A good many have problems that is rooted in their culture, the ones who don’t have the issues are treated poorly and called “white” as an insult.
Even the ones who are addicted are aware the alcohol is bad, was my point.

I’m very aware of the alcohol and drug issues on the reservation.

As am I. Pretty sure not the same reservation though, YMMV to a degree.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10

EDIT:
For example, the Bertha Rodgers Oil well in Oklahoma is 30,000+ feet deep just to reach the top of the field. No life has ever existed at that layer of the crust. It's a BIG oil field. Oil deposits like that are fairly common. So unless someone can logically explain how fossilization got down to a layer where life has never and could never exist, we have to accept that oils and petroleum like materials are made by the Earth as a result of magma-carbon deposit reactions.

If it were something easy, I'd agree with you. To be fair, this is not an easy subject to Google. You have to be versed in the subject and know what to look for to find relevant information.
Actually, I believe that's quite easy to explain seeing how the tectonic plates are constantly going one under another.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Actually, I believe that's quite easy to explain seeing how the tectonic plates are constantly going one under another.
Subduction is a helluva force.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Even the ones who are addicted are aware the alcohol is bad, was my point.

Some are, some have almost a frat boy attitude towards it. A small town close by has a regular bunch of drunks passed out by a park most are too afraid to use due to their continued presence. A friend had quads, a truck and guns stolen and was almost killed following them waiting for police to show up, since it was on the res he got back a wrecked truck and was told not to pursue it or they might come back and burn down his house with his family inside. It’s happened before and will continue to happen.

I had to fire a few people for showing up drunk or hungover. I encouraged them to get clean.

So I guess Mars and Venus are awash with Oceans of oil then?
Methane which given the right temp and pressure could become longer chain hydrocarbons.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Methane which given the right temp and pressure could become longer chain hydrocarbons.
So Titan is the goal then?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
If you buy into this at all which I frankly don't.

I'm not even entirely sure non atmospheric large bodies of methanes exist on those bodies. There's been circumstantial evidence for the presence of small amounts of ground level methane on Mars, but thats really it.

I could be wrong of course. That is why science is great.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
If you buy into this at all which I frankly don't.

I'm not even entirely sure non atmospheric large bodies of methanes exist on those bodies. There's been circumstantial evidence for the presence of small amounts of ground level methane on Mars, but thats really it.

I could be wrong of course. That is why science is great.

It does seem logical that Mars might have oil, its very clear it used to have rivers, etc. So it is possible hundreds of millions of years it did have life, and there is a lot of oil buried very deep... I don't know.

If we could access oil and water on Mars and live in domes, I suppose it would be possible to be a two planet species.

I still say Elon has the wrong of it though, well maybe he doesn't, he is advancing his robots fast... cause it makes more sense to send robots to do work even if they are remote controlled...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
If we could access oil and water on Mars and live in domes, I suppose it would be possible to be a two planet species.
Certainly possible, but one colony could not survive without the other. Mars would very much depend on earth.