• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't wait

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
You act like I'm walking around with this chip on my shoulder like I just am not getting my due in life, so I "take what's mine" every chance I get.
I was only going on what you said about your own actions and beliefs - which was that you were "guilty" using W7 keys from other systems, and that you felt expecting you to pay for another copy is "ludicrous" and a total "rip-off". And you said for your own machines, "why not?"

Those were all your words, not mine. So you can be your own judge.

I never said or implied you did anything else. The analogies were just to illustrate just that ripping off is ripping off and just because this is Microsoft we are talking about (and everybody hates Microsoft, right? :rolleyes:), that makes it no less wrong to rip them off - especially for your own personal gains. It is not like Robin Hood stealing from the rich to give to poor - which is still wrong but at least not for personal gains.

Honestly, that's pretty rude. Tax fraud effects entire communities in a big way. I don't appreciate being compared to hardcore criminals just because I bucked a W7 key from an old machine. Not the most realistic comparison.
Rude? LOL Me thinks thou doth protest too much! I never accused you of anything. I posed hypothetical questions, that's it. Is stealing $50 less offensive than stealing $100 because it is only $50? Even shoplifting $10 worth of merchandise at your local convenient store affects entire communities and it causes the price of everything in the store to go up for everyone.

I have an analogy of my own. If you changed the transmission in your new vehicle, would you be alright with starting your lease over? Even if it's in your contract, that's not okay.
Huh? That makes no sense at all. You don't lease Windows. And Windows is a whole product on its own. And you can't start your lease over in any scenario without going through the leasing agency, or dealership, etc.

Anyway, the point is made - no need to drag this thread further OT. No more from me on this, Mods.
I've got a friend like that too. Not a fan of it myself
Me either. It is great to Google something quick, but it is not a Windows (or Linux) PC replacement - at least not IMO.

Why not wait for Ryzen 5 3600?
Parts have already come in with exception to the Video card.

That a total upgrade! And note with a new motherboard too, that is, in effect a new computer. And a nice one too! :)

Just remember, new computers typically require new Windows licenses too. OEM licenses cannot "legally" be transferred to new computers under any circumstances. So if your current license is an OEM license (and the vast majority are), make sure you included that in your budget.
Yeah it's going to be interesting as I'm going from an Intel to AMD. Think my guys talked of maybe copying some files over while formatting HDD and SDD on old PC.

Yeah it's going to be interesting as I'm going from an Intel to AMD. Think my guys talked of maybe copying some files over while formatting HDD and SDD on old PC.
This issue has been hashed over back and forth many times on the site and there's no need to revisit that debate here. Ultimately, it's up to Microsoft to activate. Do a fresh install. If it doesn't activate automatically(good chance it will), then you can call them. They will ask you how many systems your copy of Windows is installed on, you(honestly) tell them only one and they will give you an activation code over the phone.

Last edited:
System Name BorgX79
Processor i7-3930k 6/12cores@4.4GHz
Motherboard Sabertoothx79
Cooling Capitan 360
Memory Muhskin DDR3-1866
Video Card(s) Sapphire R480 8GB
Storage Chronos SSD
Display(s) 3x VW266H
Case Ching Mien 600
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Cooler Master 1000W Silent Pro
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Rosewill RK-1000
Software Win7x64
I've moved OEM copies to a new Mobo/processor/video card after a system died, only using the HD setup, and it authenticated easily, automatically.
Capacitor plague sucked.

The HD later died; I was able to install a backup of that HD, use a rescue disk I had made to install to a brand new drive, and it still runs fine. (WinXP32)

It has some killer software on it that only runs under XP32, so I'd hate to lose it.

That said, I had an SSD die recently in a laptop, I don't have a full backup, and IDK which copy of windows goes with it. :)
So I'm screwed there; it won't handle Win7 or Win10, it's too old.
It's a tuning laptop for one of my cars. :(
I'll find a key on amazon or ebay.

Processor 3700x @ 4.3
Motherboard Crosshair 7 hero
Cooling Kraken X62
Memory 16GB Trident-Z 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX2080 XC Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 evo 500gb NVME
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q
Case NZXT H500
Audio Device(s) Phillips SHP 9500s.....Audio Technica AT 2035 microphone.....Scarlett 2i2 audio interface.
Power Supply EVGA 850W Supernova G2
Mouse Model O
Keyboard Corsair K65
Software Windows 10
Bill, do you work for Microsoft or hold stock shares? Lol.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
While formatting? Not sure what you mean there but if me, I would build the new computer, make sure it works fine and then think about copying some files over. And if any of those are program files, I would "install" them on the new computer rather than copy them.

As far as "being interesting" going from Intel to AMD (or AMD to Intel), looking at it objectively I really don't see the point. Building an Intel-based computer is the same as building an AMD-based computer. Both processors support the same graphics cards, same RAM, use the same power supplies and run the same programs including the same OS. Once your components are tucked away inside your case, you can't tell if the logo on your processor says AMD or Intel.

Bill, do you work for Microsoft or hold stock shares? Lol.
Sure don't and never have worked for or owned stock in MS. I do own some Intel and AMD stock so I want both to do well - regardless the OS they run.

I do, however, admit I have a guilty conscious (with good reason :() when it comes to all forms of illegal/unofficial copies of software. WAY back in the day (early 80s) when I was stationed in England, we had Commodore 64 clubs and organized software "swap meets" and "copy parties" where dozens of us would get together to copy and swap C64 games and other programs. We thought nothing of it.

But then I met the programmer, Jeff Minter, of one of my favorite C64 games, Hover Bovver. He gave a talk at one of our swap meets about software piracy that really opened our eyes to the big picture as we soon realized we (and others like us around the world) were driving developers out of business! Sure, one or two copies here and there made no difference but 100s, 1000s or, in the case of Windows, millions of unauthorized copies does indeed make a difference that affects us all in the prices we have to pay. Developers (the hard working folks down in the trenches), even in filthy rich companies, need to feed, clothe and shelter their families and we were instrumental in many being unable to do that. :(

My feelings were reinforced years later when I got out of the USAF and went to work as one of 10 hardware and network support guys in a software development company supporting 400 programmers. I learned a lot about the affects of software piracy - both in terms of the financials, but also how piracy often impacts security (with malware distribution) - at least with bootleg copies from unknown sources.

And make no mistake - abusing software licenses is a form of software piracy - even if such copies are for our own personal use in our own homes.

I defend MS a lot only because they are probably the biggest target and most frequently affected. So I can see how that would make me look like a MS fanboy. But rest assured, while I do like W10 and MS Office (but not Office 365!) I am also one of their staunchest critics when it comes to their ill-conceived, mis-guided, and poorly executed :mad: marketing and executive policies and decisions (schemes? :mad: :mad:) - of which there have been many! :( And I would and do take the same defensive position of any abused product, regardless the company behind it.

Now please. Let's move on.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
Really looking forward to my upgrade from an MSI 4690 to a Ryzen 5 2600. Not stopping there as I'm Upgrading the Ram from DDR3 1333 to DDR 4 3000. Curious to see the change. Video card will be going from GeForce 960 gtx to the RTX 2060 The Motherboard will be ASUS prime X470. WASP
I just upgraded my i7 2600 to an R5 2600 and it's been great. I'm currently running my ram at 3000, but I've not touched the CPU. I'll add an aio watercooler later and overclock it.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Okay one more thing. Here's an example of yet another really stupid move (IMO) by Microsoft. Microsoft tells FTC Repair poses a Cyber Risk. It doesn’t.

This is part of an industry effort (I believe started by Apple :() to stop independent repair shops, like mine, and private citizens (like you and me) from doing repairs on broken products. These "Right to Repair" opponents are trying to make repairs made by anyone other than an "authorized repair center" as grounds to void warranties. And now they are claiming we will compromise security features or even plant malicious code in those products, steal and sell personal data, etc.

When both Apple and Microsoft agree on a proposal that hurts consumers - you know it has got to be bad thing! It is decisions like this that make Microsoft look like an evil, greedy, big brother! :mad: :mad: :mad:

But that still does not make it okay to violate the terms of the EULA we agreed to abide by.

I just upgraded my i7 2600 to an R5 2600 and it's been great. I'm currently running my ram at 3000, but I've not touched the CPU. I'll add an aio watercooler later and overclock it.
What are your temps now? I note that R5 comes with the Wraith Stealth Cooler which I found to be quite excellent - in a properly cooled case - even with mild to moderate overclocking. And quiet too (at least in a nice case like a Fractal Design R5).

I do, however, admit I have a guilty conscious (with good reason :() when it comes to all forms of illegal/unofficial copies of software. WAY back in the day (early 80s) when I was stationed in England, we had Commodore 64 clubs and organized software "swap meets" and "copy parties" where dozens of us would get together to copy and swap C64 games and other programs. We thought nothing of it.

But then I met the programmer, Jeff Minter, of one of my favorite C64 games, Hover Bovver. He gave a talk at one of our swap meets about software piracy that really opened our eyes to the big picture as we soon realized we (and others like us around the world) were driving developers out of business! Sure, one or two copies here and there made no difference but 100s, 1000s or, in the case of Windows, millions of unauthorized copies does indeed make a difference that affects us all in the prices we have to pay. Developers (the hard working folks down in the trenches), even in filthy rich companies, need to feed, clothe and shelter their families and we were instrumental in many being unable to do that. :(

My feelings were reinforced years later when I got out of the USAF and went to work as one of 10 hardware and network support guys in a software development company supporting 400 programmers. I learned a lot about the affects of software piracy - both in terms of the financials, but also how piracy often impacts security (with malware distribution) - at least with bootleg copies from unknown sources.
This make sense about you.

And make no mistake - abusing software licenses is a form of software piracy - even if such copies are for our own personal use in our own homes.
But is it really abuse? One person buying one copy of a software for one system? Is anyone really expected to by a new license every 6 months when upgrades are done? But I digress...

I defend MS a lot only because they are probably the biggest target and most frequently affected. So I can see how that would make me look like a MS fanboy. But rest assured, while I do like W10 and MS Office (but not Office 365!) I am also one of their staunchest critics when it comes to their ill-conceived, mis-guided, and poorly executed :mad: marketing and executive policies and decisions (schemes? :mad: :mad:) - of which there have been many! :( And I would and do take the same defensive position of any abused product, regardless the company behind it.

Now please. Let's move on.
Thanks for sharing that. While we still disagree about some points, I have gained a new perspective about you, a level of understanding and respect. :peace::toast: And agreed, let's move on.

Okay one more thing. Here's an example of yet another really stupid move (IMO) by Microsoft. Microsoft tells FTC Repair poses a Cyber Risk. It doesn’t.

This is part of an industry effort (I believe started by Apple :() to stop independent repair shops, like mine, and private citizens (like you and me) from doing repairs on broken products. These "Right to Repair" opponents are trying to make repairs made by anyone other than an "authorized repair center" as grounds to void warranties. And now they are claiming we will compromise security features or even plant malicious code in those products, steal and sell personal data, etc.

When both Apple and Microsoft agree on a proposal that hurts consumers - you know it has got to be bad thing! It is decisions like this that make Microsoft look like an evil, greedy, big brother! :mad: :mad: :mad:
Agree on every point!

Last edited:

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
Benchmark Scores Yes
What are your temps now? I note that R5 comes with the Wraith Stealth Cooler which I found to be quite excellent - in a properly cooled case - even with mild to moderate overclocking. And quiet too (at least in a nice case like a Fractal Design R5).
Honestly, I haven't really been paying attention. lol I monitored it after install, but haven't looked since. It was really low. I'll check it out later when I get home. Yea, I'm using the stock cooler in my Storm scout. The only issue I ran into was having to enable visualization (SVM/AMD-V) in bios for Virtualbox.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
But is it really abuse? One person buying one copy of a software for one system? Is anyone really expected to by a new license every 6 months when upgrades are done? But I digress...
Huh? Upgrades? Who upgrades their motherboard every 6 months as that is the only reason a new license would be needed? And in that case, they should buy a "Retail" license. That can legally be transferred over and over again (if all previous installations are uninstalled).
Honestly, I haven't really been paying attention. lol I monitored it after install, but haven't looked since. It was really low. I'll check it out later when I get home. Yea, I'm using the stock cooler in my Storm scout.
I really wish more people would give OEM coolers a chance. Both AMD and Intel listened to their users and have made significant improvements in them - both in terms of cooling efficiency and noise levels. Even the included TIM (thermal interface material) pads are much more efficient than those provided with OEM coolers years ago. But sadly, many are convinced because OEM coolers 15 years ago were all junk, they must still be junk today. But if you think about it, that makes no sense. Neither AMD nor Intel want their processors to suffer heat related issues and the bad publicity that would bring. So OEM coolers are indeed very capable, even with mild to moderate overclocking. Extreme overclocking is a different issue, but that's to be expected. Most planning to do extreme overclocking probably would buy a CPU that does not come with an OEM cooler anyway.

I rarely use 3rd party cooling solutions anymore. The only exceptions of late are for HTPC (home theater PC) builds where total silence is a client requirement so totally passive (no fan) cooling is needed. The NoFan CR-80ED Ice Pipe is "cool" (pun intended :rolleyes: ;))!

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
Huh? Upgrades? Who upgrades their motherboard every 6 months as that is the only reason a new license would be needed? And in that case, they should buy a "Retail" license. That can legally be transferred over and over again (if all previous installations are uninstalled).
I really wish more people would give OEM coolers a chance. Both AMD and Intel listened to their users and have made significant improvements in them - both in terms of cooling efficiency and noise levels. Even the included TIM (thermal interface material) pads are much more efficient than those provided with OEM coolers years ago. But sadly, many are convinced because OEM coolers 15 years ago were all junk, they must still be junk today. But if you think about it, that makes no sense. Neither AMD nor Intel want their processors to suffer heat related issues and the bad publicity that would bring. So OEM coolers are indeed very capable, even with mild to moderate overclocking. Extreme overclocking is a different issue, but that's to be expected. Most planning to do extreme overclocking probably would buy a CPU that does not come with an OEM cooler anyway.

I rarely use 3rd party cooling solutions anymore. The only exceptions of late are for HTPC (home theater PC) builds where total silence is a client requirement so totally passive (no fan) cooling is needed. The NoFan CR-80ED Ice Pipe is "cool" (pun intended :rolleyes: ;))!
Yea, I was impressed with the oem cooler. I did replace the TIM just for good measure. When my AIO watercooler crapped out on my 2600k I replaced it with it's oem which has a copper core. I still was able to overclock it to 4ghz using the oem cooler. The only thing I don't like about the Intel coolers are the plastic retention clips. They break over time. I like AMD's new retention system for the Ryzen CPU's, but the old retention system was bad. But I'm with you the OEM coolers are much better than years ago.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I still was able to overclock it to 4ghz using the oem cooler.
:respect:

I am assuming you must have a decent case with some good air flow.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
:respect:

I am assuming you must have a decent case with some good air flow.
Yea, the storm scout has a fan at the top of the case. So, 2x120mm in front intake 120 side intake, 120 back exhaust and 140 top exhaust. Plus, the PSU is on the bottom so it doesn't exhaust into the case.

Is there a big difference between those 2 ?

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
Is there a big difference between those 2 ?
Yep! One has pins and the other one doesn't... lol Jokes aside, this was my biggest concern when I bought the Ryzen chip and so far it's been a nice bump over my i7 2600k. I've noticed far fewer frame drops in gaming on a pancake monitor and in VR (HTC Vive).

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
I went for a 2600X from an FX8350 and couldn't be happier. It's lighting fast, especially on an SSD.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Generally, I'd tend to agree, though I'm not fully buying all of those analogies. I would never do any of those things. You act like I'm walking around with this chip on my shoulder like I just am not getting my due in life, so I "take what's mine" every chance I get. But I do understand that society doesn't function when you do that, so I tend not to do it. Like, I'd love to offer people a much lower price on custom builds by secretively setting them up with W7 activations from machines tossed aside, but I know you just can't do that, so I don't.

With my machine specifically, I did pay for a retail W10 activation as I have many times... the W7 machine was a salvage. When I changed the motherboard out for a fully-working one, the troubleshooter let me down and wouldn't activate, no matter what I did. At this point I'm already a little miffed. I'm looking over at that salvage machine, thinking it's an easy out. And much to my surprise, it worked. That's really all it was. It simply spared me the trouble of going through Microsoft's hit-and-miss support team. And I definitely wasn't going to buy two activations for the same, basically brand new machine. I highly doubt Microsoft wanted me to either. That would be some serious bad PR.

Just wanted to clarify that I have never piggybacked service, would never steal a truck, have never shoplifted, and would never commit tax fraud. That's really in a completely different ethical category. It reminds me of how people often like to compare people who's actions they don't condone to Hitler, which isn't really fair to his victims. To compare me to someone who's stolen a car is not only offensive to me, but people who've actually had their cars stolen and been majorly effected by it, because what they've had done to them is that much worse than anything I'm capable of. Honestly, that's pretty rude. Tax fraud effects entire communities in a big way. I don't appreciate being compared to hardcore criminals just because I bucked a W7 key from an old machine. Not the most realistic comparison.

I'm not one of those "stick it to the man" types. I have an analogy of my own. If you changed the transmission in your new vehicle, would you be alright with starting your lease over? Even if it's in your contract, that's not okay.

At least in that case, you would actually have options. But in my case, it's Windows or bust. I'm not going to rage-quit windows and gut my whole way of operating over that... and I'm definitely not swapping a brand-new machine for a mac over it, even if it will run some of the software I'm well-entrenched in. That would be rather dumb of me. Or at least a bit dramatic. But regardless, this is a gaming machine... and realistically most people will agree that W10 is still the only real option for that.

I get that Windows is not the only option anymore, but when I see things like "buy a mac" or "just use linux" I kind of have to laugh. It's as if you think I'm not aware of these things... as if there's no reason why I choose Windows. No ill-intent, that is a silly argument to make without knowing what someone's use-case is. FWIW I am familiar with Apple products and for many years was an avid linux user. And I still follow along. They aren't my ticket right now, so I don't consider them to be realistic options.

The rest of what I said, take what you will of it. I still think it's being completely over-dramatic. I get that it's not exactly right, but that doesn't make your depiction of those actions any less hyperbolic. The ToS is clear, and measures to prevent people from doing exactly what I did have been in place across generations of Windows. And yet, they aren't being utilized. Leaves you wondering why. They could easily terminate my activation... like instantaneously. They could've denied it outright. But they don't do any of that. I find that strange. It's hard to fathom that they aren't aware or can't easily stop it. Again, make what you will of it. I'm not gonna pretend like it's the best thing to do, let alone what people should do. It basically boils down to where you as a person draw a line. But that is to say it's not so black and white. If you want to discuss it further, we can, but I doubt we'll really get anywhere with it.

I'll put it to you this way... if Microsoft wants to revoke my key, I will accept that and pay the price of a new activation. I consider that the cost of living with my choices. According to you I should be in jail, which I frankly have a hard time taking seriously. I will forever see it as a minor loophole. To me it just is not this grand moral quandary. Call me stubborn. I could say the same when you suggest that I should stop stealing cars and just get a mac. o_O

Don't explain yourself - there is simply no place for that belittling finger on a forum such as this and Bill should know better but we all know he won't and never will :) We are who we are. No need to defend it IMO.

We have our reasons, and in each of our minds those are fine otherwise we would've made a different choice. Part of this thing called freedom :)

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
I find it incredibly annoying that the thread gets hijacked by one holier-than-thou member, veering off on a completely irrelevant tangent about Windows licenses, when the OP made no reference to this issue whatsoever.
He is simply looking forward to getting his hands on some tasty new hardware and we all share in his enthusiasm, rather than doling out unsolicited advice about licensing.
Good luck to the OP and I for one couldn't give a monkey's which OS he installs.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I find it incredibly annoying that the thread gets hijacked by one holier-than-thou member
And I find it incredibly annoying with one holier-than-thou member stoops just to personally criticize others.

Readers need to know whether they are doing something illegal or not as it is not always obvious. As technical advisors, that's where we can be of help. Most people want to do the right thing!

This topic always gets out of hand in forums because people like you don't want to hear it, therefore you think others shouldn't. So who's being holier than thou?

when the OP made no reference to this issue whatsoever.
But he did when he said he was going with a new motherboard. A new motherboard constitutes a new computer. New computers need their own OS license. That's the whole point.

Here's a thought. If you don't like what I say, click that little Report button instead of pretending to be a mod and degrading the thread with personal insults and attacks.

Yea, the storm scout has a fan at the top of the case. So, 2x120mm in front intake 120 side intake, 120 back exhaust and 140 top exhaust. Plus, the PSU is on the bottom so it doesn't exhaust into the case.
Yeah, I've worked with a couple of those cases before. They do indeed provide excellent cooling options.

Last edited: