• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU overheating under low load?

MacchiatoLatte

Right away, sorry if this fits better in General Hardware

I've had overheating issues for a couple weeks now, with my CPU running into high 70s or low 80s (Celsius) before my computer shuts down on its own. It was fine before this, running smoothly and never overheating, and now I can't even run games like Minecraft or early 2000's flash games. Hell, it overheats when updating Steam.

I've tried updating drivers, cleaning my case, reseating my heatsink and replacing thermal paste, resetting BIOS, redoing my cable management, checking the direction of my fans, but nothing seems to be helping. If you have other ideas for what I could do, I'd appreciate it!

Hardware:

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Super
Asus m5a99x EVO r2.0
AMD FX 8350 w/ stock cooler
16 GB RAM
Let me know if you need more info!

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
In the last few weeks has anything changed? Room temp? New hardware? BIOS update?

Assuming the heatsink is properly seated; have you checked to make sure all the fans are running properly (case, gpu, cpu, PSU)? Other options are trying to undervolt your CPU, more case fans (if possible), better airflow case, and/or aftermarket CPU cooler.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
How long has it been running? What changes occurred a few weeks ago? Are you sure the load is low and other processes aren't using the cpu?

MacchiatoLatte

In the last few weeks has anything changed? Room temp? New hardware? BIOS update?

Assuming the heatsink is properly seated; have you checked to make sure all the fans are running properly (case, gpu, cpu, PSU)? Other options are trying to undervolt your CPU, more case fans (if possible), better airflow case, and/or aftermarket CPU cooler.
No, nothing's changed. Last thing that changed was the GPU, but that was way back in October.

I've checked all the fans, and while the GPU fans aren't running now, they begin when they're heating up. I have three case fans, an intake in the lower front and two output across the top. Maybe I should move them around somehow?

How long has it been running? What changes occurred a few weeks ago? Are you sure the load is low and other processes aren't using the cpu?
I make sure to shut it off every day when I'm done using it. I almost never keep it on overnight.

According to the Task Manager the load on the CPU is around 20% with two Chrome tabs open, and aside from the game launcher, I don't have anything else open while playing. Nothing's changed in the last few weeks, the most recent change was installing the GPU, but that was months ago.

Case fancier than yours
No, nothing's changed. Last thing that changed was the GPU, but that was way back in October.

I've checked all the fans, and while the GPU fans aren't running now, they begin when they're heating up. I have three case fans, an intake in the lower front and two output across the top. Maybe I should move them around somehow?

I'm not sure of what case you have. Personally I would use one fan in the front as intake. One fan in the rear as out and one fan in the top back as out leaving the top front open for the CPU to pull cooler air in. That said it should not be a major difference from what you have (maybe 3-4c lower if lucky). Are you looking to move on from the current set up anytime soon?

I would definitely look into a cpu cooler upgrade as well even something cheap like a gammax 400

MacchiatoLatte

I'm not sure of what case you have.
I'm going to be honest, neither am I. It's on the smaller side, but it's served me well for a couple years now, though the airflow might not be fantastic.
Personally I would use one fan in the front as intake. One fan in the rear as out and one fan in the top back as out leaving the top front open for the CPU to pull cooler air in. That said it should not be a major difference from what you have (maybe 3-4c lower if lucky). Are you looking to move on from the current set up anytime soon?
I'd like to keep this setup alive as long as possible, but if not possible, I have some money set aside for upgrades. I'm thinking of replacing CPU, and by extension, MOBO, before long, especially if the overheating issue can't be fixed.
I would definitely look into a cpu cooler upgrade as well even something cheap like a gammax 400
Getting a new CPU cooler is definitely a good idea, I'll make sure to look into that ASAP.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440

I make sure to shut it off every day when I'm done using it. I almost never keep it on overnight.

According to the Task Manager the load on the CPU is around 20% with two Chrome tabs open, and aside from the game launcher, I don't have anything else open while playing. Nothing's changed in the last few weeks, the most recent change was installing the GPU, but that was months ago.

Does it look like the cpu is getting normal voltage and isn't abnormally high? It's really hard to say unless the CPU fan Isn't spinning fast enough. If you set the CPU fan to 100%, how does it react? Any Windows updates around the time the temp increase happened?

Getting a new CPU cooler is definitely a good idea, I'll make sure to look into that ASAP.

I don't think that is necessary if you were running with good temps previously. It is possible that the GPU is just dumping too much heat into the case though.

MacchiatoLatte

Does it look like the cpu is getting normal voltage and isn't abnormally high? It's really hard to say unless the CPU fan Isn't spinning fast enough. If you set the CPU fan to 100%, how does it react? Any Windows updates around the time the temp increase happened?

I don't think that is necessary if you were running with good temps previously. It is possible that the GPU is just dumping too much heat into the case though.
It's at 1.345V right now.​
HWMonitor says my CPU fan is spinning around 3400RPM at 100%, but I've seen it up at 5000RPM in the past. It doesn't go that high anymore, though.​
I don't think there were any Windows updates back then, but I'm not entirely sure. Is there some way to check?

That could be it. It's releasing heat towards the CPU, but it seems strange the problem wouldn't have happened sooner if that was the case (pun intended)?​

Case fancier than yours
It is possible that the GPU is just dumping too much heat into the case though.

It was one my initial thoughts but he said he got it in October and there was no noticeable temp increase then.

It's at 1.345V right now.​
HWMonitor says my CPU fan is spinning around 3400RPM at 100%, but I've seen it up at 5000RPM in the past. It doesn't go that high anymore, though.​
I don't think there were any Windows updates back then, but I'm not entirely sure. Is there some way to check?​
That could be it. It's releasing heat towards the CPU, but it seems strange the problem wouldn't have happened sooner if that was the case (pun intended)?​

5k RPM? off the top of my head I thought that cooler peaked at 3400rpm...

MacchiatoLatte

5k RPM? off the top of my head I thought that cooler peaked at 3400rpm...
It probably does since that's what it peaks at now. Though, I don't know how often it happened. I remember reading it once on HWMonitor while playing Subnautica, so maybe it was a software glitch and not a hardware error?

Case fancier than yours
It probably does since that's what it peaks at now. Though, I don't know how often it happened. I remember reading it once on HWMonitor while playing Subnautica, so maybe it was a software glitch and not a hardware error?
So the FX8350 came with two coolers. The stock cooler used a 80mm fan @ 4700rpm+ (it sat plainly on top of the heat sink) with a sleeveless cable. The wraith cooler used a 92mm delta fan @ 3200rpm (the fan had a plastic cover along its outside) and a sleeved cable. I'm guessing you have the former but only you can tell.

MacchiatoLatte

So the FX8350 came with two coolers. The stock cooler used a 80mm fan @ 4700rpm+ (it sat plainly on top of the heat sink) with a sleeveless cable. The wraith cooler used a 92mm delta fan @ 3200rpm (the fan had a plastic cover along its outside) and a sleeved cable. I'm guessing you have the former but only you can tell.
Judging by the cable, yes, it's the former. Wonder why it stays on 3400 despite the temperature increasing, then.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
What power supply?

Do a clear cmos and save optimized settings.

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
Have you physically checked to see if the heatsink itself is getting hot? If the heatsink is getting nearly as hot as the processor, you should be able to feel the heat coming from it without touching it. You could try touching the metal parts of the heatsink too, just be cautious not to give yourself a heatsink-shaped burn. :p

If the heatsink is hot, the fan is spinning, and it's not chock full of dust, then I'd say check your CPU voltages with CPU-Z, AMD Overdrive, or HWMonitor/OpenHardwareMonitor just to make sure it's not accidentally running it at 1.8v or something.

If the heatsink is cold and you have fresh thermal paste, have you tried reseating the heatsink? I'd like to make another vote for an inexpensive aftermarket heatsink but I don't think that's the problem. I've always changed mine out for aftermarket but that was mostly for looks as well as performance. The stock one should obviously perform well enough to keep it from overheating.

Do thermals change if you power it up on its side? Kind of reminds me of an issue I had back in 2010. I had a Radeon HD 4850 that would overheat unless I laid my PC down on its side (with the card facing straight up and down). I chalked it up to a failed heatpipe and replaced the cooler.

what's the difference between factory resetting BIOS and clearing CMOS?
Shouldn't be much. Pulling the battery will actually power everything down and reset rather than just stamping default settings on top of something that may have a glitch or quirk. Sort of like a full, cold shutdown rather than a warm reboot.

Edit: Tons of revisions adding and changing stuff around.

Last edited:

MacchiatoLatte

Have you physically checked to see if the heatsink itself is getting hot?
Just checked, it's around room temperature immediately after the computer almost overheating again.
I'll try reseating the heatsink and then booting on its side just to see if it'll change something.

Reactions: xvi
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Just checked, it's around room temperature immediately after the computer almost overheating again.
I'll try reseating the heatsink and then booting on its side just to see if it'll change something.

Just curios but is it summer or winter for you?

MacchiatoLatte

Just curios but is it summer or winter for you?
It's late winter right now.
Do thermals change if you power it up on its side? Kind of reminds me of an issue I had back in 2010. I had a Radeon HD 4850 that would overheat unless I laid my PC down on its side (with the card facing straight up and down). I chalked it up to a failed heatpipe and replaced the cooler.
Double-checked heatsink and it was attached properly. CPU still gets extremely hot even when booted on the side. I'll try to find the MOBO battery for a CMOS clear and get back to the thread in the morning since it's getting way too late for troubleshooting. Thanks for the help so far, though!

Reactions: xvi

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
Was the CPU new or used ?

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
Computers shutting down on its own doesn't seem like a overheating cpu problem, and also 70~80 degrees celsius isn't too high of a temperature to a cpu

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
It's late winter right now.

Double-checked heatsink and it was attached properly. CPU still gets extremely hot even when booted on the side. I'll try to find the MOBO battery for a CMOS clear and get back to the thread in the morning since it's getting way too late for troubleshooting. Thanks for the help so far, though!

Is the ambient temperature significantly different compared to before the overheats?

Computers shutting down on its own doesn't seem like a overheating cpu problem, and also 70~80 degrees celsius isn't too high of a temperature to a cpu

I believe it could if the thermals aren't reduced by throttling. In any case, it wasn't overheating previously.

Actually, @MacchiatoLatte , was it not overheating previously or just not shutting down?

MacchiatoLatte

Is the ambient temperature significantly different compared to before the overheats?
Yes, actually. With no load except HWMonitor, it can stay down near 20-30°.
I believe it could if the thermals aren't reduced by throttling. In any case, it wasn't overheating previously.

Actually, @MacchiatoLatte , was it not overheating previously or just not shutting down?
It didn't overheat at all. To be exact, it still got to low 70s, but the CPU fan would kick in at that point and keep it from rising more.