• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cpu throttles to 0.8GHz due to "GPU POWER"

hmm has the problem ,throttlestop said GPU POWER as the limit reason .So this is some bios problem and we have to wait for an update to fix it?.Or the VRM getting overheat?.What can i do to solve this .Plz make a short and quick answer

vgm

System Name Alienware 15 R2
Processor i7 6700HQ BGA
Motherboard HM170
Cooling Stock Air Cooling with TG Carbonaut
Memory HyperX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 980M 8GB
Storage P11TB, SN 570 1TB, 850 Evo,HGST HDD
Display(s) 15.6" FHD
Case None
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Recon 3Di
Power Supply 240W
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Stock AW keyboard
VR HMD None
Software Win 10 22H2
@Ivendete Check Win-raid intel ME section. Unpack Intel system tools v9.1 and go to MEinfo folder and open cmd or powershell as admin and type meinfo.exe and if you see ME version 9.1.x then you have downloaded correct toolset to update MEIFW to latest 9.1.x version from Win-raid.
If its showing MEI version 9.5 then download and unpack v9.5 system tools.
It will show which model or platform the MEI FW is based on, say 1.5MB or 5MB version and post a screenshot or put MEINFO results in file or in <code> so that others can check the version and help you in updating MEI FW if its too old. Do note that if your version is 9.1, don't update to 9.5 version.
Original site https://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html
I know this thread is old but if u tell me doing your way will solve the GPU POWER thingy on the dell e6540.I replied that nothing is fixed cause i was to tired looking up for a solution on my dell i didn't do .Now i am back with willing (if this wont work then i quit)

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
GPU POWER thingy on the dell e6540
Try using ThrottleStop. Open the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and add this line.

IGPU=100

That can help increase the Intel GPU power limit. Maybe that will help fix the GPU throttling.
Post lots of screenshots of ThrottleStop if you need help.

Try using ThrottleStop. Open the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and add this line.

IGPU=100

That can help increase the Intel GPU power limit. Maybe that will help fix the GPU throttling.
Post lots of screenshots of ThrottleStop if you need help.

Are u sure those value is not locked by the BIOS shit from dell?

yea i don't know if adding the lind IGPU=100 or i just the turbo boost clock at 3 ghz (already add that line)
.The gpu power is still there but only pop up about 5 seconds and then disapear ( it appear in about 25-30 mins in game and last 5 6 seconds).The clock still remains at 3ghz ( from msi afterbuner) so yea it is a lot better ( the temp was nice CPU 70 degrees and gpu 65)

Last edited:

unclewebb

@ZOKKUN - If you need help, post lots of pictures of how you have ThrottleStop setup. I cannot help you if I know nothing about your computer. Turn on the Log File option in ThrottleStop so I can see a record of how your CPU is performing and if it is throttling.

The PowerCut feature can be used so you can run a 4th Gen mobile processor at full speed and full load without any throttling.
This CPU has been tricked. Look at the Package Power consumption number being reported. Only 3.0W at full load is amazing.

well here are my pics of my throttlestop . Btw i just want to see vgm's solution to see if that work . The intel ME something like he said.

@Ivendete Check Win-raid intel ME section. Unpack Intel system tools v9.1 and go to MEinfo folder and open cmd or powershell as admin and type meinfo.exe and if you see ME version 9.1.x then you have downloaded correct toolset to update MEIFW to latest 9.1.x version from Win-raid.
If its showing MEI version 9.5 then download and unpack v9.5 system tools.
It will show which model or platform the MEI FW is based on, say 1.5MB or 5MB version and post a screenshot or put MEINFO results in file or in <code> so that others can check the version and help you in updating MEI FW if its too old. Do note that if your version is 9.1, don't update to 9.5 version.
Original site https://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html
hey , does that solution really work?

Attachments

• Screenshot (10).png
    Screenshot (10).png
    1,000.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    748.2 KB · Views: 153
  • Screenshot (12).png
    Screenshot (12).png
    194.8 KB · Views: 119

unclewebb

@ZOKKUN - Did you try using the PowerCut feature yet? When your computer is idle, with the VCCIN voltage set to 1.7998V, check the PowerCut box and push the Apply button. In the FIVR monitoring table after you do this it should show Locked beside VCCIN in the Mode column. Go back out to the main ThrottleStop screen, open Limit Reasons and press the Clear button. Put a load on the CPU and see what is lighting up red in Limit Reasons. I like using Cinebench R20 to fully load the CPU.

Post a screenshot if you have any throttling. Yellow boxes in Limit Reasons are not important. Show me ThrottleStop screenshots when your CPU is loaded and it is actually throttling. Turn on the Log File option in ThrottleStop so you have a record of any throttling.

You have all of your turbo ratios set to 30. You are telling your CPU to throttle. Why? Are you trying to avoid high temperatures or are you trying to avoid power throttling? The default turbo ratios are 37, 36, 35, 35. You only need to check the Overclock box if you are going to go higher than these limits.

When plugged in, I would use the Windows High Performance power plan. If you cannot access this in the Windows Power Options, you can check this option in ThrottleStop to switch Windows to the High Performance power plan. You can also set the FIVR Non Turbo Ratio to 1 for maximum CPU speed. When plugged in, slowing these CPUs down to 800 MHz should be avoided.

Did you lock the PP0 Power Limit to 58 or did the BIOS do this? Most computers do not use this limit. It is usually unlocked and set to 0.

ok after first run Cinebech i got these pics,i have checked the Powercut on and return the boost ratio to default like your .Temp are <90.i dont know if the PP0 power limit is set to 58 or bios did that. I dont see the Lock symbol next to the PP0 power limit.

@ZOKKUN - Did you try using the PowerCut feature yet? When your computer is idle, with the VCCIN voltage set to 1.7998V, check the PowerCut box and push the Apply button. In the FIVR monitoring table after you do this it should show Locked beside VCCIN in the Mode column. Go back out to the main ThrottleStop screen, open Limit Reasons and press the Clear button. Put a load on the CPU and see what is lighting up red in Limit Reasons. I like using Cinebench R20 to fully load the CPU.

Post a screenshot if you have any throttling. Yellow boxes in Limit Reasons are not important. Show me ThrottleStop screenshots when your CPU is loaded and it is actually throttling. Turn on the Log File option in ThrottleStop so you have a record of any throttling.

You have all of your turbo ratios set to 30. You are telling your CPU to throttle. Why? Are you trying to avoid high temperatures or are you trying to avoid power throttling? The default turbo ratios are 37, 36, 35, 35. You only need to check the Overclock box if you are going to go higher than these limits.

When plugged in, I would use the Windows High Performance power plan. If you cannot access this in the Windows Power Options, you can check this option in ThrottleStop to switch Windows to the High Performance power plan. You can also set the FIVR Non Turbo Ratio to 1 for maximum CPU speed. When plugged in, slowing these CPUs down to 800 MHz should be avoided.

Did you lock the PP0 Power Limit to 58 or did the BIOS do this? Most computers do not use this limit. It is usually unlocked and set to 0.

Attachments

• 2021-02-24.txt
    12.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot (14).png
    Screenshot (14).png
    461.2 KB · Views: 77

unclewebb

The CPU using the 33.00 multiplier while fully loaded is not perfect but it is not too bad. Did you set the Non Turbo Ratio to 1 or did you switch to the Windows High performance power plan? Have you tried checking the Set Multiplier option in ThrottleStop?

I think your BIOS has locked the PP0 Current Limit to 84. Not much you can do about that. This might be why EDP CURRENT is red.

My computer uses default Power Balance values of 9 and 13. This feature is not usually used so I do not check this option. Did you change Power Balance to 0 and 31 to get more power to your Intel GPU? The IGPU=100 option means you probably do not have to use Power Balance anymore.

Is your computer running faster or is it running the same?

If you ever want to go back to default settings, exit ThrottleStop, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and completely shut down your computer. This will reset the CPU. When you boot back up and run ThrottleStop, it will create a new ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and it will use whatever values the BIOS has set. Your screenshot above shows that the PP0 Power Limit at the bottom is locked. Probably by the BIOS but maybe you did it a long time ago.

The CPU using the 33.00 multiplier while fully loaded is not perfect but it is not too bad. Did you set the Non Turbo Ratio to 1 or did you switch to the Windows High performance power plan? Have you tried checking the Set Multiplier option in ThrottleStop?

I think your BIOS has locked the PP0 Current Limit to 84. Not much you can do about that. This might be why EDP CURRENT is red.

My computer uses default Power Balance values of 9 and 13. This feature is not usually used so I do not check this option. Did you change Power Balance to 0 and 31 to get more power to your Intel GPU? The IGPU=100 option means you probably do not have to use Power Balance anymore.

Is your computer running faster or is it running the same?

If you ever want to go back to default settings, exit ThrottleStop, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and completely shut down your computer. This will reset the CPU. When you boot back up and run ThrottleStop, it will create a new ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and it will use whatever values the BIOS has set. Your screenshot above shows that the PP0 Power Limit at the bottom is locked. Probably by the BIOS but maybe you did it a long time ago.
i didn't set non turbo ratio to 1 cause that drain my battery fast and might not be the problem though (it stays at 2.7 or higher constantly).In cineabech there wasn't GPU POWER ( the main problem which throttle my cpu to 2.6 ghz while gaming,and appear when EDP throltting kick in).Already add the line IGPU=100 but still.Wish dell could unlock the limit so i can change it ( cause the temp are so reasonable)
Can adjust the PPO power limit do something ?

Last edited:

unclewebb

i didn't set non turbo ratio to 1 cause that drain my battery fast
I was suggesting things so your CPU runs at maximum speed when plugged in. You can change this back to 0 when running on battery power.

Wish dell could unlock the limit
Why do you need Dell to unlock this limit? You used ThrottleStop to set this limit to 100. Your screenshot does not show any GPU POWER throttling anymore.

Does your CPU throttle when gaming now? If it does not throttle when fully loaded in Cinebench then your CPU should not be throttling when gaming.

I was suggesting things so your CPU runs at maximum speed when plugged in. You can change this back to 0 when running on battery power.

Why do you need Dell to unlock this limit? You used ThrottleStop to set this limit to 100. Your screenshot does not show any GPU POWER throttling anymore.

Does your CPU throttle when gaming now? If it does not throttle when fully loaded in Cinebench then your CPU should not be throttling when gaming.
i don't need it to run max speed when plugged in because it can ajust its clock speed depends on task.I just need it to be no throttled when gaming ( the main problem) idk .I will try some games to see if it throttle or not

unclewebb

i don't need it to run max speed when plugged in
You can run an Intel CPU at full speed when plugged in. It does not hurt it. When idle or lightly loaded, cores automatically go into the low power C7 state so 99% of the time, a core in C7 is going to be at 0 MHz and 0 Volts. You can get good idle temps and low power consumption when the CPU is at full speed. Just make sure that the C0% is nice and low. Too many people have too much stuff running in the background that does not need to be running all of the time. This is what causes heat.

ok after 15 mins in game ( league of legends) the gpu power is still showing up and throttle my cpu down to lower and lower clock ( i quit the game to stop the throttle , otherwise i will be at 0.8 ghz where anything freeze).Temp were fine.Now i will turn non tubo ratio to 1 and see what happen

Attachments

• 2021-02-24.txt
    29.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot (17).png
    Screenshot (17).png
    246.6 KB · Views: 65

unclewebb

Now i will turn non tubo ratio to 1
Also try using the Windows High Performance power plan and check the Set Multiplier box.

Are you playing the game on the Intel GPU?

In
Also try using the Windows High Performance power plan and check the Set Multiplier box.

Are you playing the game on the Intel GPU?
i have my non turbo ratio 1 and the result is kinda the same. still the gpu power , core power but stays at consantly 2.7 ghz dispite all of those limit reason.First ingame it was turbo boost 3.5 ghz very fast then those 2 limits show up and throttle back to 2.7 base clock and stay there for good ( unlike non turbo ratio 0 where the cpu start to throttlle lower and lower untill reach 0.8 ghz).Yes i play on AMD (max setting on league decent fps 90-120 , the gpu working perfectly , only the cpu problem)

i will keep posting stuff , now i need to get some sleep . it is 3 AM now ( will try checking the mutiplier box and using high performance profile window). if the problem can't be solved then i will stick to my 2.7ghz base clock ( a little bit dissapointing because wasted the turbo boost)

Attachments

• Screenshot (18).png
    Screenshot (18).png
    217.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 2021-02-24.txt
    146.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

unclewebb

The log file shows PP0 as the reason for throttling. This is usually caused by the PP0 Power Limit that is locked. Maybe you locked it or maybe the BIOS locked it.

1614111052270.png

In the TPL window, on the right hand side, clear the check marks on the right side that are below the Lock column.

Set Power Balance to 16 and 16 and then clear the Power Balance check mark and clear the PP0 Power Limit check mark. Change PP0 Power Limit from 58 to 0.
Press OK and then completely shut down your computer so the CPU can reset itself.

When you boot back up, open the TPL window and post a screenshot of that. If the BIOS is locking the PP0 Power Limit, that is a problem.

If you do not see the lock icon on the left side of PP0 Power Limit / PP0 Turbo Time Limit then check the PP0 Power Limit box, set this to 0 if it is not already 0 and then check the lock option on the right hand side. Press Apply and the lock icon should appear on the left side. When this register is locked to 0, the CPU is supposed to ignore this register so it does not cause PP0 throttling.

2.7 GHz is better than 0.8 GHz but I would still like to see more. Have a good sleep.

The log file shows PP0 as the reason for throttling. This is usually caused by the PP0 Power Limit that is locked. Maybe you locked it or maybe the BIOS locked it.

View attachment 189685

In the TPL window, on the right hand side, clear the check marks on the right side that are below the Lock column.

Set Power Balance to 16 and 16 and then clear the Power Balance check mark and clear the PP0 Power Limit check mark. Change PP0 Power Limit from 58 to 0.
Press OK and then completely shut down your computer so the CPU can reset itself.

When you boot back up, open the TPL window and post a screenshot of that. If the BIOS is locking the PP0 Power Limit, that is a problem.

If you do not see the lock icon on the left side of PP0 Power Limit / PP0 Turbo Time Limit then check the PP0 Power Limit box, set this to 0 if it is not already 0 and then check the lock option on the right hand side. Press Apply and the lock icon should appear on the left side. When this register is locked to 0, the CPU is supposed to ignore this register so it does not cause PP0 throttling.

2.7 GHz is better than 0.8 GHz but I would still like to see more. Have a good sleep.
yea after restart

Attachments

• Screenshot (21).png
    Screenshot (21).png
    681.3 KB · Views: 90

unclewebb

You can check Disable Power Limit Control. The BIOS has locked this register so no point in ThrottleStop trying to control it.

Enable PowerCut and do some testing as is. After that you can try locking the PP0 Power Limit to 0 and see if that is better or worse.

well it is more worse.The log file shows PP0 and the clock drop to 0.8 ghz ( in the log file and msi afterbuner show 2.7 which is not real).I checked the task manager and saw it at 1.1 ghz , immediatly exit the game.Still that GPU Power and core power.Last night i didn't go for high performance power plan and set the PP0 to default and it stayed at real 2.7 ghz.I just tested the game and fps drop to 40 , not like 90-120 last night.Darn it , that power shit is so anoying

Attachments

• 2021-02-24.txt
    268.9 KB · Views: 58