• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell G5 5590 - Throttlestop undervolt not applying

ProcessedAB

is there anyway for lenovo users to get old bios or can revert microcode updates so i can finally undervolt?

xor11

I finally got ThrottleStop on my G5 5590 to undervolt again, back in business running the prior BIOS 1.11.1 with microcode C6.

I was unsuccessful earlier after using all the advice I could find, including on this thread. I did a couple of things differently this time. I'm not sure which step was important, but originally I was doing the BIOS downgrade from Windows and was doing a soft BIOS reset from the BIOS setup. This time I did a hard CMOS reset including battery disconnect and I installed the BIOS from a USB stick.

This is what I did on my G5 5590. I don't know which steps were critical and I don't plan to experiment to find out. It just worked and here it is in case it helps someone. Don't bash me for overkilling the process.

-Put the 1.11.1 BIOS file on a USB stick. It doesn't have to be bootable, just formatted as FAT32.
-Power down and unplug from wall power.
-Take the back panel off. Note all the screws come fully out EXCEPT the two rear screws, which are captured and pull up the panel as they are loosened - use the gap created by those two screws to start the prying process. DON'T try to unscrew those two screws fully out of the panel, the teeny-tiny metal capture disk on the screw can pop off and end up who knows where.
-Disconnect both the main battery and the coin-cell battery, both are easily accessible. The battery connector pulls straight up, the coin cell connector pulls sideways. Push the power button a few times and let the laptop sit for a few minutes to be sure the supply capacitors are completely discharged. This gives an indisputable BIOS/CMOS hard reset.
-Reconnect the main battery and coin-cell battery, put the back panel on (you don't have to put all the screws in yet, but might want to partially or fully tighten the captured screws at the rear because they otherwise prop the back edge open a bit).
-Plug back in to wall power.
-Insert the USB stick (it won't be booting from the USB, just have it handy).
-Boot up. This will be scary because the BIOS real-time clock will be off, which will make the laptop go through several seemingly random power cycles as it checks itself out. There is an official procedure to handle this from Dell (hold the power button for 30 seconds or something like that), but I didn't do it.
-Be ready to start hitting the F12 button as soon as the Dell logo finally shows up to get into the boot menu.
-Choose BIOS Flash Update and select the 1.11.1 BIOS file on the USB stick. During the update I did get an Intel ME error but it didn't stop the install or cause any further issues.
-When it boots again, don't let it get to Windows yet, hit F2 (or F12) to get into the BIOS setup.
-I did a BIOS restore settings here, but don't know if it has any effect given the battery-less BIOS/CMOS reset and newly installed BIOS, I just did it because it helped someone else get their system running.
-Set the BIOS date/time.
-Under Security, go to UEFI Capsule Firmware Updates and disable it. This supposedly prevents Windows from updating the BIOS again.
-Exit and boot normally. After booting, you might want to do a sync now in the time settings to sync with internet time, but not critical.

ThrottleStop now works for me again. I did allow another Windows update after all this, and it incremented the build revision but otherwise left my BIOS alone. Hope that stays true. I don't plan on risking a new 1.12.0 install at this point.

Current system:
BIOS 1.11.1 microcode C6 (was formerly 1.12.0/CA forced by Windows Update)
Windows 10 version 1909 build 18363.778
Throttlestop version 8.71 (this version has an option to automatically set undervolt to zero while in sleep mode)

HenryAuto

Hi @xor11

Is that your bios 1.12 disallow BIOS downgrade? and you still made it back to 1.11.1?
I am also the situation that after update Windows 10 to version 2004, it downloads a package call Dell -Firmware and upgrade BIOS to 1.12.2. and now I cannot downgrade to 1.11.1.

Processor Intel i7 13900K
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Freezer II 360
Memory 32 Gb Kingston Fury Renegade 6400 C32
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080 XLR8 OC
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO + 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus + 2 TB Samsung 870
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A + Samsung C24RG50
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G6 850W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite
Benchmark Scores 3dMark TimeSpy - 26698 Cinebench R23 2258/40751
Hi @xor11

Is that your bios 1.12 disallow BIOS downgrade? and you still made it back to 1.11.1?
I am also the situation that after update Windows 10 to version 2004, it downloads a package call Dell -Firmware and upgrade BIOS to 1.12.2. and now I cannot downgrade to 1.11.1.
I have 1.12 on my G7 7790, and I still can undervolt.
It doesn’t need a downgrade of the BIOS, but just a reset to factory settings.

To avoid new BIOS updates you can go to Security and than disable UEFI Capsule Firmware Update. This should avoid BIOS upgrades when Windows Upgrade.

yukita2324

I finally got ThrottleStop on my G5 5590 to undervolt again, back in business running the prior BIOS 1.11.1 with microcode C6.

I was unsuccessful earlier after using all the advice I could find, including on this thread. I did a couple of things differently this time. I'm not sure which step was important, but originally I was doing the BIOS downgrade from Windows and was doing a soft BIOS reset from the BIOS setup. This time I did a hard CMOS reset including battery disconnect and I installed the BIOS from a USB stick.

This is what I did on my G5 5590. I don't know which steps were critical and I don't plan to experiment to find out. It just worked and here it is in case it helps someone. Don't bash me for overkilling the process.

-Put the 1.11.1 BIOS file on a USB stick. It doesn't have to be bootable, just formatted as FAT32.
-Power down and unplug from wall power.
-Take the back panel off. Note all the screws come fully out EXCEPT the two rear screws, which are captured and pull up the panel as they are loosened - use the gap created by those two screws to start the prying process. DON'T try to unscrew those two screws fully out of the panel, the teeny-tiny metal capture disk on the screw can pop off and end up who knows where.
-Disconnect both the main battery and the coin-cell battery, both are easily accessible. The battery connector pulls straight up, the coin cell connector pulls sideways. Push the power button a few times and let the laptop sit for a few minutes to be sure the supply capacitors are completely discharged. This gives an indisputable BIOS/CMOS hard reset.
-Reconnect the main battery and coin-cell battery, put the back panel on (you don't have to put all the screws in yet, but might want to partially or fully tighten the captured screws at the rear because they otherwise prop the back edge open a bit).
-Plug back in to wall power.
-Insert the USB stick (it won't be booting from the USB, just have it handy).
-Boot up. This will be scary because the BIOS real-time clock will be off, which will make the laptop go through several seemingly random power cycles as it checks itself out. There is an official procedure to handle this from Dell (hold the power button for 30 seconds or something like that), but I didn't do it.
-Be ready to start hitting the F12 button as soon as the Dell logo finally shows up to get into the boot menu.
-Choose BIOS Flash Update and select the 1.11.1 BIOS file on the USB stick. During the update I did get an Intel ME error but it didn't stop the install or cause any further issues.
-When it boots again, don't let it get to Windows yet, hit F2 (or F12) to get into the BIOS setup.
-I did a BIOS restore settings here, but don't know if it has any effect given the battery-less BIOS/CMOS reset and newly installed BIOS, I just did it because it helped someone else get their system running.
-Set the BIOS date/time.
-Under Security, go to UEFI Capsule Firmware Updates and disable it. This supposedly prevents Windows from updating the BIOS again.
-Exit and boot normally. After booting, you might want to do a sync now in the time settings to sync with internet time, but not critical.

ThrottleStop now works for me again. I did allow another Windows update after all this, and it incremented the build revision but otherwise left my BIOS alone. Hope that stays true. I don't plan on risking a new 1.12.0 install at this point.

Current system:
BIOS 1.11.1 microcode C6 (was formerly 1.12.0/CA forced by Windows Update)
Windows 10 version 1909 build 18363.778
Throttlestop version 8.71 (this version has an option to automatically set undervolt to zero while in sleep mode)
Hi, after doing all the steps disconnecting the batteries and booting from the usb with the desired bios version in it I got a message that the power status is inadequate because of my damaged battery. I have a Dell inspiron 15 5567. I updated my bios by forcing it because of the same issue but now the bios doesnt let me downgrade by any means.
I would really apreciate if someone knows how can I get ThrottleStop working again because with these 85+ degrees it is impossible to do anything without thermal throttling.

Mouse Razer Basilisk
Hi, after doing all the steps disconnecting the batteries and booting from the usb with the desired bios version in it I got a message that the power status is inadequate because of my damaged battery. I have a Dell inspiron 15 5567. I updated my bios by forcing it because of the same issue but now the bios doesnt let me downgrade by any means.
I would really apreciate if someone knows how can I get ThrottleStop working again because with these 85+ degrees it is impossible to do anything without thermal throttling.
As I wrote above, try to reset the BIOS. Usually on Dell notebooks it is still possible to undervolt just after a BIOS reset (it worked on mine).
BTW the CPU doesn't throttle at 85º, nor even at 95º. It will start throttling at 100ºC (sometimes at 97º if the manufacturer is taking a little margin, but this isn't Dell case usually).

yukita2324

As I wrote above, try to reset the BIOS. Usually on Dell notebooks it is still possible to undervolt just after a BIOS reset (it worked on mine).
BTW the CPU doesn't throttle at 85º, nor even at 95º. It will start throttling at 100ºC (sometimes at 97º if the manufacturer is taking a little margin, but this isn't Dell case usually).
Yes, I tried resetting to factory settings but didnt work. Well i guess it is not throttling but i do see a performance drop within half an hour or so playing.

Mouse Razer Basilisk
Yes, I tried resetting to factory settings but didnt work. Well i guess it is not throttling but i do see a performance drop within half an hour or so playing.
if you are using Throttlestop try to post a log here after playing an hour, just to see what the system is doing.
It could be related to TDP

tiagolirape

I'm replying to this thread because it's the first thing that appears when you search for "5590 throttlestop", "5590 undervolt" and variants.

The latest bios update locked the overclock options under XTU and ThrottleStop, however, as @emics explained before, a factory reset for the parameters in the bios unlocked the undervolting capacities of my i7 9750h on a Dell G5 5590. You really just need to be careful with Bitlocker (why are you using it? It's shit, even MS advisors in their forums advise against it) and make sure that you are resetting to Factory settings. That's all I've done.

I believe my processor microcode version is CA, if any of this matters. What I know is that I was unable to perform undervolting and after doing the procedure above I was able to.

yukita2324

I'm replying to this thread because it's the first thing that appears when you search for "5590 throttlestop", "5590 undervolt" and variants.

The latest bios update locked the overclock options under XTU and ThrottleStop, however, as @emics explained before, a factory reset for the parameters in the bios unlocked the undervolting capacities of my i7 9750h on a Dell G5 5590. You really just need to be careful with Bitlocker (why are you using it? It's shit, even MS advisors in their forums advise against it) and make sure that you are resetting to Factory settings. That's all I've done.

I believe my processor microcode version is CA, if any of this matters. What I know is that I was unable to perform undervolting and after doing the procedure above I was able to.
Hi, can you tell me what version of TS are you currently using? Because y resetted to factory settings and then installed the 8.74 Version of TS and didn’t work.

yukita2324

I kinda give up. Did all the above recommendations multiple times but none worked on my dell 5567. Thanks for everyone who shared their experiences. Hope someday this comes to a solution.

tiagolirape

Well, your processor is a totally different generation, so it's no wonder it didn't work. From Dell's website I can see the 5567 uses a 6th/7th generation Core processor, and we are talking about a 9th generation processor. Probably you need to look for this fix for your processor model.

To put it short, you are barking at the wrong tree.

Chris5963

I succeeded in getting Undervolting working on a new out-of-the-box Dell G5 5590 (came with BIOS 1.12 installed) of getting undervolting working. This is what I did

1. Turn off auto BIOS update in BIOS settings: it's the option under security: turn off UEFI updates
Also uninstalled the Dell Assistant (this also pushes auto updates) I think I am sensible enough and grown-up enough to check manually thanks Dell.
2. Downgrade to 1.10 BIOS (I assume people know how to do this)
3. This next step is the most important! Go into BIOS settings and reset to Default (NOT factory). I think new computers come with the Plundervolt fail-safe wired into the factory settings.
4. Restart PC and REINSTALL Throttlestop (the INI file must be replaced with a new one). Boot into Throttlestop and you should be able to apply an undervolt.
I went from a score of 1618 on Cinebench R20 to 2791 and my PC is now cool as a cucumber even when under maximum load.

Good luck everyone!

Mouse Razer Basilisk
I succeeded in getting Undervolting working on a new out-of-the-box Dell G5 5590 (came with BIOS 1.12 installed) of getting undervolting working. This is what I did

1. Turn off auto BIOS update in BIOS settings: it's the option under security: turn off UEFI updates
Also uninstalled the Dell Assistant (this also pushes auto updates) I think I am sensible enough and grown-up enough to check manually thanks Dell.
2. Downgrade to 1.10 BIOS (I assume people know how to do this)
3. This next step is the most important! Go into BIOS settings and reset to Default (NOT factory). I think new computers come with the Plundervolt fail-safe wired into the factory settings.
4. Restart PC and REINSTALL Throttlestop (the INI file must be replaced with a new one). Boot into Throttlestop and you should be able to apply an undervolt.
I went from a score of 1618 on Cinebench R20 to 2791 and my PC is now cool as a cucumber even when under maximum load.

Good luck everyone!
I did the same but without downgrading the BIOS (I'm using 1.12)

Chris5963

Downgrading alone didn't work for me, but I do wonder if I might be able to upgrade to 1.12 safely now. It seems that the settings are hard-wired into the BIOS configuration on some new laptops, so resetting to factory and or default without a downgrade might not always work. Is it possible that downgrading process also changes the default settings? Is it possible that older laptops have the default settings of an older BIOS without the Plundervolt failsafe? This might explain why for some people resetting alone is enough. Max, Was your laptop a new one purchased after March/April 2020? I really hope Intel can find a better way to protect against Plundervolt than their current solution. Also my understanding is that Plundervolt requires root privileges to be a threat, so this pretty much excludes any risk for ordinary users right? This seems like serious overkill by Intel.

Mouse Razer Basilisk
Downgrading alone didn't work for me, but I do wonder if I might be able to upgrade to 1.12 safely now. It seems that the settings are hard-wired into the BIOS configuration on some new laptops, so resetting to factory and or default without a downgrade might not always work. Is it possible that downgrading process also changes the default settings? Is it possible that older laptops have the default settings of an older BIOS without the Plundervolt failsafe? This might explain why for some people resetting alone is enough. Max, Was your laptop a new one purchased after March/April 2020? I really hope Intel can find a better way to protect against Plundervolt than their current solution. Also my understanding is that Plundervolt requires root privileges to be a threat, so this pretty much excludes any risk for ordinary users right? This seems like serious overkill by Intel.
Nope, my laptop was purchased in January.
Now that you made me re-think about it, I downgraded (IIRC to 1.11), I reset to default and then I upgraded to 1.12 again, and the undervolt was still possible.
After that I disabled UEFI upgrades in the BIOS settings, to avoid further upgrades.

Chris5963

I just got upgraded again to 1.12 (I thought I had disabled upgrades to BIOS but it seems not), but I can use undervolt so it seems that one-time downgrade and reset did the trick. Let's hope future BIOS upgrades don't add the Plundervolt fail-safe again.

Mouse Razer Basilisk
I just got upgraded again to 1.12 (I thought I had disabled upgrades to BIOS but it seems not), but I can use undervolt so it seems that one-time downgrade and reset did the trick. Let's hope future BIOS upgrades don't add the Plundervolt fail-safe again.
well, good for you.
Since the notebook isn't a new model anymore, I think you can skip any future BIOS upgrade.

Ender

Guys, i just went through this (wondering why undervolting failed, read up on the BIOS problem, downgraded & reset 1.11).
SO i understand upgrading to 1.12 is safe, so its probably advisable (have no version hiytory so i do not know what i would miss on).
Do you also know if upgrading to 1.13 (current version on Dell website) would be safe to keep undervolting?

So basically i am asking, whats the best BIOS if you INSIST on undervolting?

Thanks for help :)
Ender

nokturnal

I upgraded bios to 1.13 and followed @emics instructions and did Factory reset on my bios and undervolt works again, but only on profile where i have modified Turbo Ratio Limits. On my main profile where I only undervolt, voltage does not change when I switch to profile (or it goes back to default if I switch from profile where it works). Again the only difference between two profiles is Turbo Ratio Limits (default: 41, 41, 40, 40, 39, 39 => modified: 36, 35, 34, 33, 32, 32). My undervolt is at -145.5mV.

I also tried upgrading to ThrottleStop 9.0 and I experience same behavior.
My computer is Dell G5 5587, i7-8750H, bought 2 years ago.

Hope this helps @Ender and any other guy who got stuck without undervolt.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
@nokturnal - Make sure that Unlock Adjustable Voltage is checked in each profile that you want ThrottleStop to control your voltages. If this box is not checked, when you switch to that profile, ThrottleStop will not do anything to the voltages. If will not reset the voltages to their default voltages if this box is not checked.

Look in the FIVR monitoring table at the top right to confirm what voltages your CPU is using. If you are still having problems, post some screenshots that show how you have your ThrottleStop profiles set up and screenshots that clearly show the problem you are having. I just tested this and the voltages on my computer are changing correctly when I switch back and forth between two different profiles.

nokturnal

I checked again and Unlock Adjustable Voltage is on in both profiles.
I recorded my ThrottleStop behaviour and my settings so it will hopefully be more clear: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dCd5fq0kHyR0ikCYlW4UfM1y4NlKVrAD/view?usp=sharing

I reinstalled ThrottleStop and deleted old ini files so that should not be a problem. I will try to play with bios settings to see if anything changes.

And thank you for your help :)

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
The VID voltage reported on the main screen of ThrottleStop changes depending on what speed the CPU is running at. That is normal. When you change profiles in ThrottleStop, if the CPU speed changes then yes, the VID voltage is going to change too. That is not a bug. This is normal for Intel mobile CPUs. Requested VID voltage varies with speed.

You control the amount of offset voltage in the FIVR window. The monitoring table in the top right corner of the FIVR window confirms that the -145.5 mV offset voltage that you requested be applied to your CPU core and cache is being applied correctly. The Offset column in the monitoring table shows -0.1455 for both the core and cache. This is working OK.

When undervolting the 8750H, do some testing with Cinebench R20. Reduce your CPU cache offset to -135 mV. Run a baseline test with the voltages set equally. After this test, leave the cache voltage at -135 mV and start increasing the CPU core offset voltage. Some people see improvements in performance or temperatures with the core set at -200 mV. Test in steps of -25 mV to make sure your CPU is stable.

These 2 voltages do not have to be set equally. Modern software like Cinebench R20 and many games will show an improvement when these voltages are set to different values.

Nocthmyst

Hi,
After lot of research, I found a simple way to undervolt my laptop with the last BIOS update. I was able to unlock the voltage settings, without any downgrading.
It works for my G5 5590, may work for the G7 7590, and probably on the previous version also! Let me know if this procedure work for you too!
!! Before any manipulation save all your data !!
- First if you use bitlocker, be sure to suspend the protection of your SSD/HDD, and save the recovery key!
- Go to the BIOS setting by pressing F2 on boot up
- Reset the parameters to "Factory" ( not "Default" )
- Reinstall ThrottleStop or XTU
- Now you can change your voltage parameters through ThrottleStop or Intel XTU!
BIOS: 1.12.0 Feb 2020
Intel microcode: 0xCA Feb 2020
It seems like that is only a temporary solution. Tried this on my Dell Inspiron 7577 and it worked the first time after I restarted to reset the BIOS (v1.10.0) to factory settings. But then after I shut down and switch it on again, TS FIVR control shows that my undervolt settings are being ignored again. So I have to reset my BIOS to factory settings everytime before I use my 7577 for my undervolt settings to be applied.

Can't be bothered with that so I just downgraded my BIOS to v1.9.3... Is there any permanent way for undervolt settings to take effect on the newer BIOS versions though?