• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does my cpu support this ram?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Is the part I have issue with. That entire statement is entirely untrue. Send me any RAM you want, and I can show you on both AMD and Intel that it takes all of 5 seconds to set up and run at XMP/DOCP, as long as the IMC is capable of pushing said speed! From what I have seen, this applies to 4600MHz on down with my Intel testing and I haven't yet pushed past 4200MHz with AMD yet.

So you are telling me, that I can give you a system you are completely unfamiliar with, and in 5 seconds you can have the RAM set up running at XMP speeds and guarantee it will be 100% stable?

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
So you are telling me, that I can give you a system you are completely unfamiliar with, and in 5 seconds you can have the RAM set up running at XMP speeds and guarantee it will be 100% stable?

Within reason, sure. The point is, if you buy the right parts to begin with, RAM matters less and less. If you want to buy the lowest binned CPU and a lower chipset motherboard, you are asking for just the basics, nothing more. In other words, expect SPD RAM values, anything else is a crap shoot. Now if you buy a decent to awesome CPU, chances are the IMC is a tad better. If you buy a high end motherboard, it isn't just RGB and extra USB you are getting. You get what you pay for, its that simple. There is not a rig in my house, once I moved away from clocking with X99 and X299 that I cannot do damn near anything I want with, from the jump. Not hours later, not days later. I set XMP/DOCP on every build I do before even installing the OS!

Look man, Im not trying to say I am better, or that I am just smarter. Reality is quite the opposite. If not for bad luck, I wouldn't have any! One of my test rigs just up and died last month, spawning yet another build. If you look at my specs and my signature, you can see what sort of gear I am using. Great motherboards and average CPUs. Shit just works. I am no magician, I do not have any tricks...I go at this just like you would. I have to think what I said earlier applies, as I can honestly run any ram I want, at least until I reach the top limit of the 3600 IMC, and as for the 10700K, I haven't had the pleasure of finding the max for that one yet.

In my mind, this is much like the days of DFI nF4 boards. Did all ram suck then, no, but it took special kits to work with the board. Many were like that then, and it appears that now memory is no longer a priority for many motherboards. The only other explanation would be that all RAM is shit, and we all know this isn't the case.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Within reason, sure. The point is, if you buy the right parts to begin with, RAM matters less and less. If you want to buy the lowest binned CPU and a lower chipset motherboard, you are asking for just the basics, nothing more. In other words, expect SPD RAM values, anything else is a crap shoot. Now if you buy a decent to awesome CPU, chances are the IMC is a tad better. If you buy a high end motherboard, it isn't just RGB and extra USB you are getting. You get what you pay for, its that simple. There is not a rig in my house, once I moved away from clocking with X99 and X299 that I cannot do damn near anything I want with, from the jump. Not hours later, not days later. I set XMP/DOCP on every build I do before even installing the OS!

Look man, Im not trying to say I am better, or that I am just smarter. Reality is quite the opposite. If not for bad luck, I wouldn't have any! One of my test rigs just up and died last month, spawning yet another build. If you look at my specs and my signature, you can see what sort of gear I am using. Great motherboards and average CPUs. Shit just works. I am no magician, I do not have any tricks...I go at this just like you would. I have to think what I said earlier applies, as I can honestly run any ram I want, at least until I reach the top limit of the 3600 IMC, and as for the 10700K, I haven't had the pleasure of finding the max for that one yet.

In my mind, this is much like the days of DFI nF4 boards. Did all ram suck then, no, but it took special kits to work with the board. Many were like that then, and it appears that now memory is no longer a priority for many motherboards. The only other explanation would be that all RAM is shit, and we all know this isn't the case.

We've both played with a lot of hardware. The difference is I haven't always had the luxury of buying top end stuff. I do now, for the most part, but I haven't always. And the builds I do for other people are usually very budget constrained and the motherboard is often the place that gets cut. Yeah, if you have good stuff, it is usually a quick and easy process. But there is far more mediocre hardware out there than good. Yeah, I dropped my 10850K/Z490 Taichi in my computer enabled XMP and it worked. But even that took me a day of running a stability test before I was comfortable enough to consider it stable. I've had plenty of other times when running at XMP didn't work right away, it wasn't 100% stable. So to just say it is a simple process is deceiving. You aren't considering all the people out there that don't have 3rd gen ryzen, that don't have the latest Intel platforms and the best motherboard. You aren't considering people like the OP. But there are far more people out there like OP than like us.

And that's my point. You had to qualify your answer to my question by saying "only if it's good hardware" but not every one has good hardware. I'm asking you, if you didn't get to pick the hardware, I just gave you a build with a budget motherboard from 2 generations ago, and a budget processor from 2 generations ago, if you could get the RAM running at 3200MHz+ XMP speeds and timings in 5 seconds and 100% guarantee that the system was completely stable? And I bet the answer is no.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
We've both played with a lot of hardware. The difference is I haven't always had the luxury of buying top end stuff. I do now, for the most part, but I haven't always. And the builds I do for other people are usually very budget constrained and the motherboard is often the place that gets cut. Yeah, if you have good stuff, it is usually a quick and easy process. But there is far more mediocre hardware out there than good. Yeah, I dropped my 10850K/Z490 Taichi in my computer enabled XMP and it worked. But even that took me a day of running a stability test before I was comfortable enough to consider it stable. I've had plenty of other times when running at XMP didn't work right away, it wasn't 100% stable. So to just say it is a simple process is deceiving. You aren't considering all the people out there that don't have 3rd gen ryzen, that don't have the latest Intel platforms and the best motherboard. You aren't considering people like the OP. But there are far more people out there like OP than like us.

And that's my point. You had to qualify your answer to my question by saying "only if it's good hardware" but not every one has good hardware. I'm asking you, if you didn't get to pick the hardware, I just gave you a build with a budget motherboard from 2 generations ago, and a budget processor from 2 generations ago, if you could get the RAM running at 3200MHz+ XMP speeds and timings in 5 seconds and 100% guarantee that the system was completely stable? And I bet the answer is no.

I would quantify it as, as long as it isn't crap hardware....lol

3200MHz was top of the line for the best boards and best chips of the era, as I said earlier, well documented as such.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I would quantify it as, as long as it isn't crap hardware....lol

3200MHz was top of the line for the best boards and best chips of the era, as I said earlier, well documented as such.

And that's 100% my point, the OP doesn't have the best board or best chip of the era. Yet people are telling them he can buy the 3200 kit and it will be as simple as enabling XMP and it will work right away. Then they are saying if XMP doesn't work, it'll take 5 seconds to just put the XMP settings in manually and it will work just fine. That is what I've had issue with from the beginning.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I bet that even if you got the best boards and chips and kits some combinations would still give you problems. Your "point" doesn't provide any useful insight, you are grasping at straws, most users can get these kits running at their rated speeds without too much trouble otherwise no one would have bought these systems.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I bet that even if you got the best boards and chips and kits some combinations would still give you problems. Your "point" doesn't provide any useful insight, you are grasping at straws, most users can get these kits running at their rated speeds without too much trouble otherwise no one would have bought these systems.

What? People buy these kits all the time expecting them to just run at their rated speeds and make threads here because they don't. I'm done arguing this, good luck to OP.

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
3200 will still probably work but ima wait on a response from amd before i get 3200 if i dont get a response ima go with 2666

They'll probably tell you exactly what we did. That officially only 2666 is supported.

MilkyMilky

Question
I have the Taichi and 10850k, installed my GTX1070 and F4-4133 16GB g.skill RAM, but can't get the damn thing to boot or post.
I initially thought I needed both 8pin cpu power connectors, but that did even let the RGB glow on anything.
With one connected it makes the right sounds, but nothing comes on the display and the onboard led shows 00. I did note the fans on the GPU stutter, not spin.
Any thoughts?