• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DTS DCH Driver for Realtek HDA [DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive]

eelccoloo

hi, you help me configure it like a year ago, and yesterday i noticed that it is configured in stereo now for some reason. could you tell me if i have to check anything? the registry the apo equilizer or something else? i have not touched the drivers but if i check them on the device manager it appears as those are from windows
1690928513653.png

also the control panel appears as 2 channels
1690928636059.png
1690928648638.png
1690928666325.png

thank you so much in advance

Either another driver extension has changed the APO keys (Interactive key removed), or you are one of the unlucky ones that devices policy restricts bitstreaming.
To save you a headache, we can use TeamViewer (without installing it), and if needed I can give you my S1220A policy.

I used to supply policies, however in some rare cases, it can cause a BSOD.

Edit, It says 'Digital Output (SPDIF)', it should say just 'SPDIF' or 'Optical' (current version).

====

For those of you who already know they need a policy edit, I have attached my S1220A policy, [.dat] location: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
If you get a BSOD due to incompatibility, you will need to boot into safe mode and delete the [.dat] file.

Attachments

• S1220A.zip
    422 bytes · Views: 128
Last edited:

eelccoloo

Either another driver extension has changed the APO keys (Interactive key removed), or you are one of the unlucky ones that devices policy restricts bitstreaming.
To save you a headache, we can use TeamViewer (without installing it), and if needed I can give you my S1220A policy.

I used to supply policies, however in some rare cases, it can cause a BSOD.

Edit, It says 'Digital Output (SPDIF)', it should say just 'SPDIF' or 'Optical' (current version).

====

For those of you who already know they need a policy edit, I have attached my S1220A policy, [.dat] location: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
If you get a BSOD due to incompatibility, you will need to boot into safe mode and delete the [.dat] file.
tried to install the policy but there are no changes in the control panel

Check via Pnputil or Driver Store Explorer for any extra drivers, post a screenshot of Driver Store Explorer.
I might have to take a look, via TeamViewer otherwise, if you want to.

eelccoloo

Check via Pnputil or Driver Store Explorer for any extra drivers, post a screenshot of Driver Store Explorer.
I might have to take a look, via TeamViewer otherwise, if you want to.
1691015191449.png

seems like i have the dts drivers to me

You have installed both .inf files, and the second one is the active one, the second one is stereo only on SPDIF.
Remove the HDXRT2.inf. You want only HDXRT.inf (Main), not, HDXRT2.inf (Alt).

You can also remove the added policy, you probably don't need it.

====

Once you have it working, I would consider the latest package, there are several fixes since 9250.

Easy read version of this thread: DTS DCH Driver for Realtek HDA [DTS:X]

Last edited:

eelccoloo

You have installed both .inf files, and the second one is the active one, the second one is stereo only on SPDIF.
Remove the HDXRT2.inf. You want only HDXRT.inf (Main), not, HDXRT2.inf (Alt).

You can also remove the added policy, you probably don't need it.

====

Once you have it working, I would consider the latest package, there are several fixes since 9250.

Easy read version of this thread: DTS DCH Driver for Realtek HDA [DTS:X]
1691088020686.png

i hate annoying people but i had no luck deleting the driver neither. should i try installing the new drivers?

Sure, let me know what happens, else I will have to take a look via TeamViewer.

1: Disable Windows driver + Windows store auto downloads.
2: Remove the audio device via 'Device manager'.
3: Remove all residual extensions-other.
4: Install the Visual C++ redistributables. << UWP Apps folder.
5: Install (double click) (DTS DCH) then restart. << Choose Main for Interactive.

6: Change the APO files if APO4 does not work (see post 2 here), restart.

Note: See post 1 for more information (steps: 1, 2 & 3).

eelccoloo

Sure, let me know what happens, else I will have to take a look via TeamViewer.

4: Install the Visual C++ redistributables. << UWP Apps folder.
5: Install (double click) (DTS DCH) then restart. << Choose Main for Interactive.

6: Change the APO files if APO4 does not work (see post 2 here), restart.

well thank you so much i have ALMOST everything done. i wasn't able to get the encoder always on with the command in RTK Panel.txt and couldn't find the files for the apo
1691108538882.jpeg
1691108554678.jpeg

Good I am happy -- "I wasn't able to get the encoder always on with the command in RTK Panel.txt" -- You got muddled up a little.

----

Enable 'Stereo Mix', mute the stream, then set it to play to SPDIF to keep the encoder always on.

https://ibb.co/477T74G | https://ibb.co/MVgzT5s

To see Stereo Mix in the recording tab, right click the white space under a device and tick 'show disabled'.

----

I can also see my S1220A policy has unlocked more samples, enjoy!

====

How to reset all APO's.

Disable [all] recording, then, playback devices in Windows Sound Control Panel, then restart:

Disable Endpoints - 1.pngDisable Endpoints - 2.png

Open Regedit, and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DTS\APO, and delete all ID's:

DTS Regedit.png
Enable recording then playback, restart again.

----

A recording of a DAB show, being replayed over DAB, sounds like CD quality.

Last edited by a moderator:

eelccoloo

i was looking for the stereo mix on the playback tab instead of the record tab that was where i got lost thank you so much everything is fine now. it's almost a year since you helped me configure this and everything was working fine, i don´t know what fucked it up but your driver is the only thing that can make this old setup work. love your work and the constant updates. have a nice day
Good I am happy -- "I wasn't able to get the encoder always on with the command in RTK Panel.txt" -- You got muddled up a little.

----

Enable 'Stereo Mix', mute the stream, then set it to play to SPDIF to keep the encoder always on.

https://ibb.co/477T74G | https://ibb.co/MVgzT5s

To see Stereo Mix in the recording tab, right click the white space under a device and tick 'show disabled'.

----

I can also see my S1220A policy has unlocked more samples, enjoy!

====

How to fully reset all APO's, note that I am using E-APO on SFX to upmix with my latest config.

Disable [all] recording, then, playback devices in Windows Sound Control Panel:

View attachment 307584View attachment 307585

Open Regedit, and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DTS\APO, and delete all ID's:

View attachment 307586

Restart, repeat the Regedit delete, enable recording then playback, restart again.

----

A recording of a DAB show, being replayed over DAB, sounds like CD quality.

No problem. If anyone else needs help with the DTS DCH driver, or Equalizer APO, feel free to ask, or message me.

Last edited:
How to setup my Equalizer APO Stereo Surround Upmixer (5.1), for DTS DCH:

1: Disable the devices you want to add EAPO to using Windows 'Sound Control Panel' then run my 'DTS Settings' procedure on the chosen device(s):

DTS Settings.png

2: Install EAPO, at the device config, tick the device(s) you want, at the bottom tick troubleshoot, and set SFX/MFX, pre-mix, no post-mix (per device):

Equalier APO.png

3: Say no to the restart, then run 'Configure.reg' from my 'Upmixer Config', then copy the [.txt] files to [C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\Config]:

Config Path.png

4: Run the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EqualizerAPO\Child APOs] tweak mentioned in the original post, then restart.
5: Run the EAPO config editor, and add your already setup device(s) to the main panel:

Config Editor.png

6: Enable the device(s). Disable the upmixer for stereo only.

Attachments

• 6CH Balance.png
    6CH Balance.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 55
  • DTS Interactive.png
    DTS Interactive.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
[Update Test]

If you are not using Equalizer APO, you can test an update (edit), without re-installing the driver (includes a restore file).
Disable all devices via the sound panel, apply the change, restart, enable all devices.

If you get a problem after let me know. Thanks.

What to expect: Improved audio quality and latency, Windows trick. Reduced chance of the Windows 'Listen to' bug.
What to test: Changing channels, sample rates, and enhancement features (EQ's, modes, so on).

----

Attachments

• DTS SFX.zip
    895 bytes · Views: 92
Last edited:
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 925
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2
Memory 4 GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic S12II 620w (SS-620GB)
Software Windows 10 Education x64 21H2
If you are looking for DTS Interactive on USB/PCI devices (this pack is for HDA, HDAUDIO), see here (second to last post). For an easy to read version of [this] thread (Realtek HDA), see here.
Note that the DTS:X apps wont work with USB as it comes, and I don't have a Realtek USB to test with. Please use the right registry setup files.

regarding this, if you have a bunch of extra cash laying around, you could try buying an "Aorus Ultra" Gigabyte board that officially has Realtek USB ALC4080 audio hardware + DTS:X Ultra support and test. Z690I AORUS ULTRA PLUS DDR4 (rev. 1.0) and Z790I AORUS ULTRA (rev. 1.0) are two such "Aorus Ultra" boards that have DTS:X support and using ALC4080 usb audio. all other AORUS series like Aorus Elite, Aorus Pro and plain Aorus use standard HDA chipsets.

Noted thank you much.

====

Package updated (re-uploaded), post 1 of this thread will soon be updated by a kind moderator. Easy read thread updated (see here).

Changes:

[Installer] Main will now install the standard DTS files, Alternative will now install the alternative DTS files (OEM or Laptop).
[INF] Added the DTS SFX change, also fully tested myself (instant, no popping, without Stereo Mix).

Notes:

Using the Sound Unbound spatial modes can increase delays, although improved. Not much I can do (separate app).

I will look more into DTS APO4 for USB at a later date.

----

> Use the 'DTS Settings' files (copy) to setup SPDIF-HDMI switching between DTS Interactive and standard mode (stereo).

----

Disabling enhancers sounds worse than enabled, Enjoy!

Last edited:
When at the install screen (double click install), when asked type 'm' for main and 'a' for alternative, without the '' and press enter.

----

4: Install the Visual C++ redistributables.
5: Install (double click) (DTS DCH) then restart.

----

I suggest you do 'Win CAudio' after uninstalling, before installing. Else disable all audio devices, apply, restart, enable.
The 'MSI Utility' (run as admin), can be used at anytime, tick supporting devices, apply, restart.

You only need to run these tools once, not every time you uninstall-install.

MSI Utility.png

Last edited:

Potplayer decodes all formats to PCM, else enable passthrough. Use WASAPI exclusive, event driven.

In decode mode, for SPDIF, it will be PCM > SPDIF > DTS Interactive (6ch).
Example: Dolby True HD 5.1/7.1 > PCM 5.1 > DTS Interactive.

If you get audio artifacts during audio-video decoding, change or disable the normalizer.

¦› Dolby Demo Trailers HD and SD - List of All Downloads (demolandia.net)
¦› DTS Demo Trailers HD and SD - List of All Downloads (demolandia.net)

Attachments

• SPDIF Formats.png
    SPDIF Formats.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Potplayer.png
    Potplayer.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Normalizer.png
    Normalizer.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
The package has been re-submitted and passes, with a two exceptions. They are false positives, so they can be ignored.
Install and FX Config shortcuts removed and replaced with standard boring looking bat files.

Attachments

• Package Scan - 1.png
    Package Scan - 1.png
    227.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Package Scan - 2.png
    Package Scan - 2.png
    297.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Previous post edited, I removed and replaced the shortcuts, can not be any cleaner (without removing the tools). Install bat images are below to view.

Drivers-bat.png Clean-bat.png

----

Using optical, with a 256 buffer, my total latency is 20ms, according to ASIO, 256 buffer @ 48k has a average latency of ~17ms (most devices).
This should mean that Realtek, DTS APO4 and DTS Interactive (plus E-APO) processing latency is roughly 3ms, without offload.

We can be safe and add an extra 5ms for variation reasons, so expect around 20-25ms (1000ms to 1 second).

Attachments

• 512.png
    512.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
  • 256.png
    256.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • Data 1.png
    Data 1.png
    120 KB · Views: 53
  • Data 2.png
    Data 2.png
    105 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Attachments

• E1DA PowerDAC V2 (PDAC).png
    E1DA PowerDAC V2 (PDAC).png
    331.4 KB · Views: 44
  • PowerDAC S.png
    PowerDAC S.png
    280.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
No the last few was a cleanup for AV's, due to the command line shortcuts that installed the driver.
The last change made to the driver section can be done manually, see here.

As of now I do not have any further changes. And I have finished testing several aspects.

====

Hardware-Offloaded Audio Processing - Windows drivers | Microsoft Learn (LFX, GFX = legacy)

Not suggested, especially when a software encoder is in use (example DTS Interactive).
A high performance CPU will outperform a low power DSP.

Playing Audio + Other Apps.png

====

Feel free to copy-paste-edit-replace the DTS preset.xml, and make your own (even the .bin's).
If you make a mistake, just copy-replace the one from the DTS DCH.7z pack.

Preset.png

C:\Windows\System32\DTS\PC\APO4x

Last edited:
Turns out that Windows likes to generate random config or processing keys with the channel processing data, which degrades audio and adds some THD-N (noise).
This happens with any device, and any driver, including the Microsoft driver. If it set equal to the number of channels, quality improves to 1:1.

You can use the 'DTS Settings' .reg files to set a device to use equal to its number of channels (except 7.1, sorry you will need to do it manually).
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio

AMD DCH Device.png DTS DCH Device.png

I can not fix this issue as Windows is the culprit, also happens if you change channels.

====

Also note the driver pack has been re-uploaded, you can download but do not need to re-install, no driver changes.
Changes made to the [Install.bat], double click, or right click > run as admin.

Same for the FX Configurator.bat.

----

Feel free to clone my basic installer if you are creating your own pack.

Driver-File Signing Tools + Discussion

Last edited:
I can confirm this - saw it in the mixer controls or sound level settings. Also after a fresh boot only 2 channels are available ( until starting playback )
Changed it back again etc pp. ^^
But about the problem. I possible solution is to revoke the access for writing to the DWORD Entries wich are affected.
If everything is setup and finished - there is no need to change something about your config. It must be only "readable" for the OS - or I'm wrong?